Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

www.pedigreequery.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: www.pedigreequery.com
    Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 5:54pm
I'm just wondering if there has been a problem with this site over the past week or so. I am registered there but received an error message when I attempted to log in to ask a question on the forum. I subsequently tried re-registering but haven't heard back from the administrators. When I tried contacting a board administrator, a message appeared saying the board administrator contact page has been disabled.

Some time back, using their website, I had written Shamus Award's damline on my spreadsheets as 16. However, a week ago, I noticed that he was appearing as damline 2 & today he is showing as damline 8.

From memory, their database used to stop at Stripling's Dam. Clicking on her information icon, the first line reads "Foundation Mare Family 16". I believe someone has recently added a further generation claiming she was by Mixbury Galloway x Mulso Turk Mare. At the time, they had this going back to damline 2, but today it is showing as tracing back to Bustler mare, foundation of damline 8.

Looking at some others from damline 16 (e.g. Nature Strip, Reliable Man, Zabeel, Hallowed Crown, etc.), they are shown as damline 16 back to Miss Agnes but her dam Agnes is shown as damline 8 and this continues further back. N.B. Miss Agnes is not in Shamus Award's damline.

So I am wondering if there is a reason for this damline to be changed or is there a problem with the website?

Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 4:25pm
After 22 hours, it appears that opinion is equally divided on this issue.

1. Has recent research discovered that damline 16 does eventually join up with damline 2?

2. Or has some mischievous person incorrectly changed the breeding of Stripling's dam? Dunno what the story is with Miss Agnes (16a) & Agnes (8)! I remember many years ago, someone ran amok on an online Canadian Standardbred database changing heaps of pedigrees including Bret Hanover who was shown as by Donald Duck out of Minnie Mouse.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 4:37pm
SHAMUS AWARD (AUS)Bay colt 2010 
Snitzel
Bay 2002
Redoute's Choice
Bay 1996
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Shantha's Choice
Bay 1992
Canny Lad
Brown 1987
Bletchingly
Jesmond Lass
7-a
14>
Dancing Show
Bay 1983
Nijinsky
Show Lady
8-f
8-f
Snippets' Lass
Bay 1993
Snippets
Bay 1984
Lunchtime
Chestnut 1970
Silly Season
Great Occasion
1-g
7-f
Easy Date
Bay 1977
Grand Chaudiere
Scampering
19-b
20-a
Snow Finch
Bay 1984
Storm Bird
Bay 1978
Northern Dancer
South Ocean
2-d
4-j
A Realgirl
Bay 1976
In Reality
Secret Verdict
21-a
2-c
Sunset Express
Brown 1999
Success Express
Bay 1985
Hold Your Peace
Bay 1969
Speak John
Bay 1958
Prince John
Nuit de Folies
14-f
1-l
Blue Moon
Bay 1948
Eight Thirty
Blue Grail
11-g
12-b
Au Printemps
Bay 1979
Dancing Champ
Bay 1972
Nijinsky
Mrs Peterkin
8-f
4-r
Lorgnette
Chestnut 1964
High Hat
Mlle Lorette
2-o
17-b
Finito Fling
Chestnut 1992
Luskin Star
Chestnut 1974
Kaoru Star
Chestnut 1965
Star Kingdom
Kaoru
1-g
31>
Promising
Chestnut 1968
Idomeneo
Modern Touch
2-i
2-e
From the Wood
Chestnut 1985
Tap on Wood
Chestnut 1976
Sallust
Cat o' Mountaine
2-o
14-f
Aligote
Brown 1980
Nebbiolo
Alexandra
19-c
16>
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer5m,5m x Nijinsky5f x 5m
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 4:40pm
Studbook has him as 16 though that been proven to be incorrect before. 
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 4:42pm
Surely it's Family 16.  Where's Byron Rogers when you really need him?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 4:55pm
Tesio Power goes back to Moll-In-The-Wood 1810, stops there but still down as 16, fwiw.
Byron would be one of the 1st to know of a change so maybe a PM or add to one of his threads
Confused
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 5:36pm
I found this on bloodlines.net under the family 8:

"Genetic Genealogy

The mtDNA haplotype (L3a1b) typical of family 8 is also typical of family 16.  Both families have roots in the Hutton stud, raising the possibility of, but not conclusively proving, a common 17th century dam."
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 5:45pm
Thanks kavg. That might have something to do with the change of damline number on their database.
Thumbs Up

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Grey Affair Grey Affair wrote:

I'm just wondering if there has been a problem with this site over the past week or so. I am registered there but received an error message when I attempted to log in to ask a question on the forum. I subsequently tried re-registering but haven't heard back from the administrators. When I tried contacting a board administrator, a message appeared saying the board administrator contact page has been disabled.

Some time back, using their website, I had written Shamus Award's damline on my spreadsheets as 16. However, a week ago, I noticed that he was appearing as damline 2 & today he is showing as damline 8.

From memory, their database used to stop at Stripling's Dam. Clicking on her information icon, the first line reads "Foundation Mare Family 16". I believe someone has recently added a further generation claiming she was by Mixbury Galloway x Mulso Turk Mare. At the time, they had this going back to damline 2, but today it is showing as tracing back to Bustler mare, foundation of damline 8.

Looking at some others from damline 16 (e.g. Nature Strip, Reliable Man, Zabeel, Hallowed Crown, etc.), they are shown as damline 16 back to Miss Agnes but her dam Agnes is shown as damline 8 and this continues further back. N.B. Miss Agnes is not in Shamus Award's damline.

So I am wondering if there is a reason for this damline to be changed or is there a problem with the website?

The latest on this saga:- Someone has added a pedigree for the Bustler mare showing her as Bustler x Barb mare (who is from family 2 & traces back to Burton Barb mare).

The information section on Bustler mare says -

"The GSB does not record the pedigree of this mare, traditionally foundation mare of Family 8. However, Cuthbert Routh in his stud book (1716-1752) states that his horse, [Routh's] Surley (1720), was purchased from Mr. Hutton in April of 1725, at that time recording the colt's pedigree: "gott by [Hutton's] Surley, which Horse was gott by his Gray Barb, his dam by ye Royall Colt, her dam by Byrley Turk, her dam by Bustler, her dam by a Barb, and her dam by Bay Dodsworth.

This extends the pedigree of this Bustler Mare back two further generations, the known Foundation Mare of Family 8 therefore being a mare by Bay Dodsworth (probably the same horse as Dodsworth)

This Bustler Mare is therefore 3rd dam of [Hutton's] Surley, the pedigree for which horse is incorrect in the GSB. [Hutton's] Surley, and probably his sister Bowes, belong to Family 8, not Family 2.

mtDNA analysis has shown Family 8 shares the same maternal line as Families 2, 7, 16, 17 and 22, proving they all descend from a common mare which predates the historical record."

Are these changes to the pedigree likely to be accepted elsewhere?

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 5:36pm
Until the stud books change it hard to say.  
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 5:47pm
The following, given the entire article, doesn't quite appear to be supported by actual evidence and its precise source.  Unless I've missed something which is entirely possible.

"mtDNA analysis has shown Family 8 shares the same maternal line as Families 2, 7, 16, 17 and 22, proving they all descend from a common mare which predates the historical record."

brogers View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Surely it's Family 16.  Where's Byron Rogers when you really need him?

Apologies. I was in England. 

I dont know what is going on with PQ. There seems to be a lot of changes to female lines going on that dont see to make sense, at least from an historical perspective.

Most of the 16 family is the same L haplogroup, specifically the L3a1b haplotype, indicating that the foundation mare of the 16 family is correct by stud book records. There is an issue with the 16-c branch (MRCA MINT AGNES...family of Denise's Joy) as there is an error between those two mares so that branch is actually the I haplogroup and should not be part of the #16 family.

The other error in that family is that out of Furze Chat (1862). Its a somewhat obscure branch of the 16 family but its riddle with errors. Its not the L haplogroup as expected, but parts of it are the I haplogroup and some is the N haplogroup indicating multiple mare/foal swaps. 

The #8 family is also the same L3a1b haplotype, indicating that the 8 and 16 families share a pre-stud book common mare. It might be a long bow to draw to put the two families together unless there was compelling historical evidence. The L3a1b haplotype is also found in the 1-u, 6, parts of the 20, 52 and the British #3 family in addition to 8 and 16 so they all descend from a common mare that pre-dates stud book records.
Abel Tasman...Keen Ice...Divisidero....Verrazano...Catchy...Carrick...Ivictory...
brogers View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

The following, given the entire article, doesn't quite appear to be supported by actual evidence and its precise source.  Unless I've missed something which is entirely possible.

"mtDNA analysis has shown Family 8 shares the same maternal line as Families 2, 7, 16, 17 and 22, proving they all descend from a common mare which predates the historical record."

This is actually incorrect.

Family 2 is the same haplogroup as 8 in haplogroup L, but they are different haplotypes with 2 being L4 and 8 being L3a1b. It does mean that 10,000 + years ago they all went to the same mare (that was the L haplogroup founder), but its incorrect to say L4 and L3a1b are the same. Family 7 (L3a1a) is closer to family 8 (L3a1b) but you are talking about 2 different mares a few thousand years ago that founded different branches of the L3. Family 17 is mostly L1 not L3a1b and has one branch (17-b) that is L3a1a (so same as family 7) so its not that closely related to 8 while 22 is also L3a1a so it is the same as 7 and 17-b, but not family 8.

Abel Tasman...Keen Ice...Divisidero....Verrazano...Catchy...Carrick...Ivictory...
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 9:47am
glad your doing the stud brogers my mind would be totally bemused just keeping up with it.  I'll stick to finding brothers and sisters to cross to within families the stud book recognises.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 5:46pm
I was recently alerted to changes with the damline of Siyouni (2007 Pivotal x Sichilla).

A few years ago, Pedigree Query were showing his damline as 12b. The Australian Stud Book & Arion Pedigrees still show this as his damline. This line went back to Maid Of The Oaks (USA) (1801 by Spread Eagle x Annette, by Shark) & then a few generations earlier to True Whig mare (USA) 1779 by Fitzhughs True Whig x Jack Of Diamonds mare c1760 by Jack of Diamonds x Diana (GB) c1854 by Cullen Arabian x Grisewoods Lady Thigh, by Crofts Partner & further on to Montagu Mare (GB) as the foundation mare.

====

Then, a while back Siyouni's damline was changed to 2a. Pedigree Query showed True Whig mare (USA) 1779 by Fitzhughs True Whig x Jack Of Diamonds mare 1765 by Jack of Diamonds x Monkey mare (USA) c1755, by Monkey.

A note on PQ attached to Jack Of Diamonds mare c1760 says 
"Traditionally this mare, through which much of Family 12-b descends later in the lineage via Lady Grey and Maid of the Oaks, has been attributed as a daughter of Diana (by the Cullen Arabian), but mtDNA has shown that the Jack of Diamonds mare is not a daughter of Diana, and additionally Lady Grey and Maid of the Oaks have different DNA types so Lady Grey and Maid of the Oaks must descend from two separate Jack of Diamond mares

This Jack of Diamonds mare is ancestress of Lady Grey

For research see:- https://www.bloodlines.net/TB/Families/Family12b.htm https://www.bloodlines.net/TB/Families/Family12bJoD1.htm https://www.bloodlines.net/TB/Families/Family12bJoD2.htm"

====

However, recently, Siyouni's damline has been changed again, this time to A15. Monkey mare (USA) c1755, by Monkey x Miss Bell (GB) 1750 by Bolton Starling.

The notes on Miss Bell (GB) say
"Foundation Mare American Family A15

Imported to Virginia in 1753 by Colonel John Hunter, Elizabeth City Co, Virginia, and later sent to North Carolina. A certificate given by Herbert Haynes of Northampton Co, North Carolina, stated that the 3rd dam of his mare Nancy Bell, was the "imported mare Miss Bell, foaled in 1750, got by Starling and imported by Col. Hunter into Hampton VA, in 1753 or 1754."

Miss Bell May trace back to Davill's Woodcock Mare, Foundation Mare of British Family 19, but this is unproven"

Despite appearing unsure in the above comment PQ have Miss Bell's dam as Cade mare (GB) 1747, by Cade x Sister to Thunderbolt (GB) c1727 by Woods Counsellor x Snake mare (GB) c1715 by Snake x Luggs mare (GB) c1708, by Luggs x Davills Old Woodcock mare (GB), the foundation mare of the 19 damline.

Has mtDNA been able to show if members of 19 & A15 are from the same damline?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 5:53pm
The information about Miss Bell must have been on Pedigree Query for a few years because I notice on my spreadsheets that Himyar (USA) 1875 by Alarm x Hira was shown with A15 as a branch of 19.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 7:11pm
Nuisance tho' it is, at least important sources are updating as the scientific discoveries come to light. Many thanks GA, I'll attend to the TP database right now Thumbs Up
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply