Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Wine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wine
    Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 4:41pm

A mystery Sydney-based wine collector has splashed out more than $142,000 for a rare bottle of Penfolds Grange, smashing the record price for a single bottle of Australian wine.

The bottle of 1951 Grange – part of the first vintage of the iconic wine – sold via an online auction on Sunday night for close to $40,000 more than the previous record price of $103,000 paid in July last year.

It was signed by pioneering winemaker Max Schubert, the creator of Australia’s most iconic wine.

The $142,131 sale price, which includes a 16.5 per cent buyer’s premium and GST, was also higher than the $120,000 the bottle was expected to sell for when bids opened two weeks ago.

Other highlights in the Langton’s Penfolds Rewards of Patience auction included the $50,678 sale of a bottle of 1956 Grange, a $33,204 winning bid for a 1953 Grange and a $30,874 sale of a 1958 Grange.

Grange vintages from 1951, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958 and 1959 went under the hammer, selling for a total of $301,000.

I only have three bottles of the 1984 vintage left, awaiting their opening with the parents of further grand children.Thumbs Up

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 5:09pm
 it will probably taste like vinegar...

what an unearthly waste of money...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 5:16pm
Yes, all that money for a bottle of plonk.  Think how that money could do some good for so many people or animals.
After all, a cask of chateau cardboard will do the same job.
animals before people.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 5:36pm
No way, I bought them in 1985 at about $45 a bottle, I had them re-opened in 2010, tasted and recorked and authenticated by Penfolds. Surely when one slaves their guts out to graduate from a poor working class child to be able to afford a bottle of quality wine, no one could begrudge a little indulgence. 
As far as that bottle of 1951 Grange, that has been bought as an investment, just as that art which someone has paid millions, is bought as an investment.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 5:52pm
If, in fact you ever purchased Grange, you would know they are not released one year later.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 5:54pm
Wine wa*kers amuse me. Invariably when double blind tested the experts prefer the el cheapo wine over the thousand dollars a bottle el supremo wine.LOL A harmless folly I suppose.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 5:54pm
Was an invited member of the Officer's Mess at Victoria Barracks in Melbourne quite some years ago.

1967 Grange was available for less than $10 a bottle!, limited to a half dozen per member.  Needless to say I bought six, and later gave one to a friend.

Now valued at up to $1,400 per bottle by all accounts, though my five never survived more than three or four years after release.  Tongue
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Wine wa*kers amuse me. Invariably when double blind tested the experts prefer the el cheapo wine over the thousand dollars a bottle el supremo wine.LOL A harmless folly I suppose.
I read an article on this topic recently.
Pretty much mums and dads had grange well down the list.
Whilst the “experts” had it no 1.

The author wondered whether the experts rated it highest because their palates were more refined, and thus appreciated the complexity of the grange, or, whether they could identify it as a grange so automatically gave it the highest rating…
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

If, in fact you ever purchased Grange, you would know they are not released one year later.

The year I purchased that 1984 vintage was from my memory, it could have been in 1986 or 1987 , my memory of the actual year is vague at best. Can anyone tell me what pair of trousers they bought back in 1985 ? Thought so , you have no idea.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 6:16pm
I do have an idea, as I have actually purchased quite a few bottles (as presents)
IF you had ever bought a bottle of 1984 vintage you would know,you didn’t buy it in 85, or even 86.
Pretty sure they are released at least 4 years after the vintage date.

When you post a photo of your 4 bottles of 85, I’ll apologise.
But I’m not holding my breath.
I think you are a fantasist.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 6:17pm
Well, good on you Bob, if thats what you like, and you can make a tidy little profit from  it.  Hope you do.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 6:26pm
Do they still have corks in Grange? I loathe corks.Thumbs DownAngryThumbs Down

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Well, good on you Bob, if thats what you like, and you can make a tidy little profit from  it.  Hope you do.

I do not intend to sell them, my children know the significance of what the wine means to me, when we open a bottle on the birth of their new born.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 6:55pm
Am I a fantasist as well Rusty ? Should I take my Ana Ivanovic posters down ??
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 6:59pm
Hope your issue aren't breeding like rabbits Bob, otherwise you might have to sneak in some Bin 707 or some such.  Shocked
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 7:07pm
SC, although I am the youngest of six, I only have two sons, one has two boys and the other is getting married in October. I think they are both aware bringing children into the world is an expensive exercise and they will not bred like rabbits.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Am I a fantasist as well Rusty ? Should I take my Ana Ivanovic posters down ??
I think it would be extremely optimistic to diagnose you with having only the one malady…..

And yes, you should take down the posters.
That’s creepyWink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 7:18pm
Great to see Bob, and with the unlikelihood of too many grandkids I'm certainly available to share some excess Grange with you.  Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 7:31pm
SC, when this lockdown is over we should catch up somewhere in Melbourne, but we will not discuss politics. I am not that one eyed for the Libs as you might think Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 8:02pm

I do have an idea, as I have actually purchased quite a few bottles (as presents)
IF you had ever bought a bottle of 1984 vintage you would know,you didn’t buy it in 85, or even 86.
Pretty sure they are released at least 4 years after the vintage date.

When you post a photo of your 4 bottles of 85, I’ll apologise.
But I’m not holding my breath.
I think you are a fantasist.

Not a fantasist.

My unreserved apologies!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 8:06pm
Rusty, no worriesThumbs Up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

SC, although I am the youngest of six, I only have two sons, one has two boys and the other is getting married in October. I think they are both aware bringing children into the world is an expensive exercise and they will not bred like rabbits.

Hmmmm, Bob.  Since you found fault with my typing/spelling ?
Should that be  "breed " like rabbits  ????? Wink
No one is perfect, so dont find fault with others.  LOL
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 8:47am
AA. Touche Thumbs Up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 8:36am

An error occurred, Tlaz Wink

Edited by Gay3 - 11 Aug 2021 at 11:48am

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 11:28am
Hey all you wine connoisseurs - what's the cheapest wine by volume you can get at a bottle shop?Thumbs Up I'm going to be conducting a little distilling experiment.

Do they still sell flagons? A big glass conatiner could be useful too. Honestly I have not seen a flagon since I spotted a few gentlemen enjoying an early morning swig at a park in Redfern in the 1980s.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 11:46am
Whenever I buy cooking wine it’s around $5 bottle
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 1:04pm
 I usually get given a bottle (probably cheap stuff) as a welcoming gift, at hotels. Then I pass them on to my younger daughter, because the last wine I drank was in 1978, at Randy Wicks Bar. It was a white burgundy, which doesn't exist anymore. I gave up drinking all wine because it was making me bilious. 

Thought this was a good souvenir, from Leeds Castle, though...
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 1:31pm

Whenever I buy cooking wine it’s around $5 bottle

Too expensive! That's a standard wine bottle, right? I'll probably go a 4l cask. 4l is my mini distiller capacity. 

Simon Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply