Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Topic ClosedWilliam Pike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 5:10pm
When at the bottom of a deep hole 'tis best to stop digging.  Wink
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

I think your letting personal thoughts get into this rusty old mate, I mean he had 4 winners, a 2nd and a 3rd from 6 rides on Caulfield Guineas day last year for 2 G1 wins and a G2, he may not dominate when riding in Vic but that can't be expected given he's jumping into a deeper pool than back home and also isn't in the plum job as stable jockey for the dominant stable in the area.  A few of the Vic trainers wanted him to stay in Melbourne post-spring carnival last year but he says he prefers to live in Perth.
Not at all.
Him riding 4 winners on guineas day is not proof of genius.
He had an unbelievable book.
I backed both the guineas winner & A Queen that day.
I’m not saying he’s hopeless, just saying people often call him a genius for not being incompetent.
Yesterday’s race, a perfect example.

the mugs jump on anything he’s on, and quite often even money chances are 2s on, when you know he’s going to ride for luck ( pretty sure Peters likes his ridden cold)
It’s a winning strategy to lay them.

I would be surprised if blindly laying every ride for any jockey isn't a winning strategy TBH.

Out of interest, some quick research shows W Pike has ridden 17 winners in his last 50 rides, by comparison J Mac has ridden 8 in his last 50, it could be argued that he gets a lot of plum rides, but is he winning because he has plum mounts, or is he getting plum mounts because he wins?
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 6:38pm
I've backed Pike a few times recently where he's stuck to the fence and won the race and not just on his stable mounts. On all occasions the rails run won the race the horse could not have gone around them and won. That said plenty of jocks do this unsuccessfully as well but i guess the Pike horses have the engine to get the job done and that's the difference to some extent. But he still has to get them over the line and he wins many a race in a tight finish which to me suggests the horses aren't many lengths better than the opposition.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 8:23am
he better hurry up and get vaccinated - there is a deadline approaching
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 9:15am
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

I think your letting personal thoughts get into this rusty old mate, I mean he had 4 winners, a 2nd and a 3rd from 6 rides on Caulfield Guineas day last year for 2 G1 wins and a G2, he may not dominate when riding in Vic but that can't be expected given he's jumping into a deeper pool than back home and also isn't in the plum job as stable jockey for the dominant stable in the area.  A few of the Vic trainers wanted him to stay in Melbourne post-spring carnival last year but he says he prefers to live in Perth.
Not at all.
Him riding 4 winners on guineas day is not proof of genius.
He had an unbelievable book.
I backed both the guineas winner & A Queen that day.
I’m not saying he’s hopeless, just saying people often call him a genius for not being incompetent.
Yesterday’s race, a perfect example.

the mugs jump on anything he’s on, and quite often even money chances are 2s on, when you know he’s going to ride for luck ( pretty sure Peters likes his ridden cold)
It’s a winning strategy to lay them.

Don’t have any actual figures (where’s Max Menewere when he’s needed?) but tend to suspect that this is 100% on the money. And when it comes to punting profit is all that matters. I think he’s a great jockey, no chance I would ever argue otherwise but when his mounts are going around under their true odds then laying is the way to go. 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 12:04pm
Don't know how this " rides for luck " business comes into it , he's a proven skilled rider irrespective of where his mounts are in the run , is it his fault the lemmings jump on everything he's on ? it's really the astute punter to find the " weak ones " that are false favourites and decide which way to go , he showed in Melbourne what he's capable of and they weren't 2s on , punters are the most fickle minded gamblers and a lot talk thru their kick ( me included a few times ) most haven't seen nothing today compared to what they called Moore, Jack Thompson, Harry White and a few others , it would make a wharfie blush and the cops would March em off or give em a warning , a lot were false favs or were knocked down in running , they can't carry em , keep laying him Rusty , gives us a ring from the Bahamas when ya doing nothing . LOL
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 7:55pm
My bad,he didn’t ride for luck this time…..

Kaching!
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 3:16pm
Haha he butchered the fave in the Group 1 reminded me of Shane Dye on Naturalism in the Australian Guineas.  Only horse three deep no cover in a small field, never ends well no matter how good the horse is there tends to be one better.
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 4:00pm
It’s a bit ironic.
A negative ride would have seen him settle behind the winner, and IMO would have beaten it.

He jumped well, you can see him drag across to get in running line, and Parnham doesn’t let him in, as he’s entitled to do.

Tough watch for the mugs taking 1.20.
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 1:34pm
Hard to believe such a good jockey could butcher a $1.22 fav so badly. 
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 1:49pm
If he wasn’t 5s on, Parnham wouldn’t have booted up to keep him out.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 1:32pm
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 6:42am
Well it could only be Daniel Moor or Luke Currie. The obvious choice would be Moor because he is lighter and can ride around 54kg. Would be a good stable to ride for, so would probably be a good gig.
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 11:49am
M. Dee. Wink
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 3:02pm
Good choice imo, as he's vastly under utilised & rated plus his fiancee Mikaela Lawrence (currently injured), would get more opportunities Thumbs Up
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 3:12pm
Re M Dee I think he is very overrated personally. Came here as a boom apprentice and been given many good rides but does not impress me one iota. Each to their own though.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 4:10pm
Heard D Oliver’s name mentioned. Surely not. 
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 4:34pm
The speculation is quite interesting but Bob Peters has said he has not spoken to any jockey about riding for him and as far as Pike is concerned it is guessing as far as his vaccination is concerned and Racing WA, while saying all will have to be vaccinated, have not set a date
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 9:52am

Champion jockey William Pike out of Perth Cup at Ascot Racecourse after COVID vaccination requirement

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 10:09am
Yet he is riding today.

The people making the rules are just sweethearts. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 1:32pm
William Pike to retire and become a farmer.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Yet he is riding today.

The people making the rules are just sweethearts. 

Mandate comes into force January 1st
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 2:40pm
No PT, The double vaccination for ALL attendees (spectators and participants) is for Perth Cup only at this stage.

Mandate at this stage is from February.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 10:24pm

William Pike admits uncertainty with his riding future over COVID-19 vaccination protocols

By Nick Hluchaniuk 
William Pike says his future is under a cloudWilliam Pike says his future is under a cloudImage: Western Racepix
William Pike was forced to forgo his ride in the Perth Cup on New Year's Day due to COVID-19 protocols and Western Australia's leading rider has admitted the requirement to be double vaccinated could result in his premature retirement. 

Pike has spoken publicly for the first time on his vaccination status in an interview with Freedom Media WA. 

In a lengthy interview, Pike said there was uncertainty going forward given participants will be required to be double vaccinated come February 5, with those protocols also enforced for the Perth Cup card at Ascot on New Year's Day

"My future is very uncertain right now. I really don't know what my future's going to be like," Pike said. 

"I would love to keep riding. I would love to stay on top for as long as I can until one of the young guns come along and boot me off my perch.

"I really don't want to leave it, but under the circumstances right now with the rules and different things in place, it's getting harder and harder to go out and do my daily job." 

Pike has stayed quiet over the past month about his vaccination status as rumours circled. 

Asked why he had chosen to talk to Freedom Media WA, Pike said he had been disappointed that other media had already run stories on his situation. 

"The mainstream media has a way of twisting words and leading up to this, I didn't want to comment, I wanted to make sure I had my story straight and they (the media) went and posted things anyway and I thought that was a bit out of line."

"I wanted my story and my reasons told factually.

"I didn't want to get a headline out there that makes some guy in an office get a smug smile on his face." 

Pike also expanded on why he was yet to be vaccinated. 

"I suppose at one point they were touting a digital passport just so you can get into restaurants and whatnot. It's how the future's going to be they say. Well I don't see how that can be acceptable. You want to go to a restaurant and have a nice meal, why should you have to worry about giving out all your details?" 

"For me as an athlete as well, health implications definitely have a play in it. The vaccines came around really quickly, how did it get here so quick? I just had questions and it doesn't feel like we've had the time to digest it and take it all on board in an intelligent way." 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 10:25pm
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

reductio ad absurdum
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 2:25am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

"I didn't want to get a headline out there that makes some guy in an office get a smug smile on his face."

Wikipedia:

Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), is a pattern of negativistic, defiant, disobedient and hostile behaviour, and is one of the most prevalent disorders from preschool age to adulthood. ODD is marked by defiant and disobedient behavior towards authority figures. This can include: frequent temper tantrums, excessive arguing with adults, refusing to follow rules, acting in a way to purposely upset others, getting easily irked, having an angry attitude, and acting vindictive.

Quote "For me as an athlete as well, health implications definitely have a play in it. The vaccines came around really quickly, how did it get here so quick? I just had questions and it doesn't feel like we've had the time to digest it and take it all on board in an intelligent way." 

Wow, what a way to throw his career away.

My day job is in a scientific field and I hear this question a lot (in other circumstances too, not just lately with this stupid plague).  Basically, funding grants are hard to get, funding grants for things that *are not currently a problem* are harder to get, and projects will sit on a shelf for years until some grant funding gets through.  This is exactly what happened to coronavirus vaccine research a few years after SARS popped up and then vanished -- the urgency went away, so the funding went away.  Then there's another struggle to get funding to go from lab work to human trials, and another one to go from stage 1 to stage 2 trials, and so on.  The mRNA vaccines are the poster child for this--technology developed in the early 1990s that never got funded because government agencies and academic research deans thought that mRNA was a waste of time and not worth funding, the lab hung on through peanut-sized grants, and somehow survived.

Enter Covid, where at least 1 out of every 1000 humans on the planet have died of it so far.  We had a global emergency and governments -- plural -- threw enormous amounts of money at the people who have been begging for scraps for decades, and lo and behold, without the massive money and time barriers to getting research done, we have a handful of useful vaccines to help put an end to this global emergency. That's it.  That's the sum total of it.  There's no vast conspiracy, just breaking through government bureaucracy and academic sclerosis.

Making a new vaccine isn't hard, especially if the vaccine is made using decades-old techniques like Sinopharm (inactivated virus), Sputnik (killed virus, similar to the Salk polio vaccine), or the new Corbevax (recombinant protein, fermented in yeast like beer, used for Hepatitis B vaccines, the method is used to make vaccines to give to infants).  

That's what makes this so tragic and stupid.  One of the best jockeys in Australia is willing to throw away a sparkling career because he is using the fact that he doesn't understand how grant funding works as a fig leaf to justify his oppositional defiance.

Oh well, it was fun watching some of his better rides.  
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 9:57am
Thanks KM.

Not being a smart ass here but if that note could be sent to Pike I am sure he could be swayed back to sanity. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 10:03am
Post in the coronavirus thread and get reactions would be a start.
What would macca think?
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 10:05am
Curious to know what William would think being diagnosed as ODD.
I thought he just liked to win, and keep his private life ....private.Big smile
And a spade a spade without the bs.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 10:11am
He's a wealthy, successful sportsman with the courage of his convictions, he would have access to some very very learned advice also, his opinions should be respected, a lot of windbags out there, for every person with scientific and medical knowledge supporting the vaccine mandates there are as many super qualified and experienced medical professionals in the other corner, there are no winners here, just losers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>