Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Can’t My Granddaughter Wear a Dress to School?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Why Can’t My Granddaughter Wear a Dress to School?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Can’t My Granddaughter Wear a Dress to School?
    Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:04pm
Perhaps the politically correct out there can come up with a way to explain to a 6 year old why she can no longer wear a dress to school. Her school has decided to go unisex with their uniforms and it’s long pants for all and dresses are gone. Or as my granddaughter puts it she has to dress like a BOY! She’s pretty horrified about it , but she is after all only 6. I suppose the next thing will be unisex toilets and that’s not going to go down well!
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:17pm
 If she is in a public school they can't stop her wearing anything she wants.

There was a problem with a young girl being 'victimised' by the uniform police at Randwick Girls High. I printed out the NSW state school rules and they got off her back.

It is against the law to discriminate.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:20pm
What does the school say the reason is?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:23pm
 My girls used to wear sandals to school, in Summer. The school sent me home a reminder message to say it wasn't school uniform. After my succinct reply, my girls continued to wear comfortable and cool sandals.

If it's a private school, you sign up for their rules.

State schools cannot enforce a strict dress code...or hair code...or jewellery code.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Perhaps the politically correct out there can come up with a way to explain to a 6 year old why she can no longer wear a dress to school. Her school has decided to go unisex with their uniforms and it’s long pants for all and dresses are gone. Or as my granddaughter puts it she has to dress like a BOY! She’s pretty horrified about it , but she is after all only 6. I suppose the next thing will be unisex toilets and that’s not going to go down well!

Unisex toilets are ridiculous at that age. It is just inviting trouble.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:33pm
 my eldest daughter wore shorts all through primary school, because she wasn't into dresses. 

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:51pm
I don't think my kids (boys) ever wore long pants to school, shirt and shorts all year round. even on -4 degree mornings.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:52pm
It’s a NSW. State School. It came up because they’re doing the School photos next week and everyone was told the kids have to wear long pants because the uniform is now unisex. They’re not selling the dress uniforms at the school any more. I suppose we could make her uniforms ourselves ( if any of us could sew that is) and the school probably couldn’t stop her wearing them. I just find it annoying because kids that age have no idea about “ gender neutral” stuff nor should they. She’s only bloody 6 for god sake. Can’t we just let them be kids?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:54pm
 I probably have strong opinions on this subject, as I used to have either no uniform, or the wrong one, all through primary school. There were seven of us and my struggling parents couldn't afford to buy uniforms for all.  Also, I was once bullied by the deputy head at Sydney Girls High, because I lost my summer hat and wore my winter beret instead. After my third detention, my mother went to the headmistress and told her she would take legal action if it continued. 

You don't mess with the women in my family...

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 12:00am

It’s a NSW. State School. It came up because they’re doing the School photos next week and everyone was told the kids have to wear long pants because the uniform is now unisex. They’re not selling the dress uniforms at the school any more. I suppose we could make her uniforms ourselves ( if any of us could sew that is) and the school probably couldn’t stop her wearing them. I just find it annoying because kids that age have no idea about “ gender neutral” stuff nor should they. She’s only bloody 6 for god sake. Can’t we just let them be kids?

have her borrow one for the photo, but stand your ground on the rest of the tear.

School is for learning. If trivial things like this interfere with a child's right to an enjoyable education, then the system is wrong.

If I'd had the money, my children would have attended the American school. No uniforms and plenty of non-schoolroom activities.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 12:01am
 "the rest of the year."  ....I'm typing in the dark.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:11am
It's funny because I have no memory at all of what the girls in high school wore and only one memory of primary school - year 2 - caught glimpse of undies on one girl and noticed that she had a little sh1t stain.Embarrassed

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:35am
Ummm...........excuse me Tlaz. Just out of bed & catching up over a coffee & i can do without that sort of comment thank you very much. Upset my sensitivities 
Refer ALP Election Promises
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 11:51am
  This gender neutralising is okay, so long as the boys can wear skirts if they wish.

Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 12:00pm
But the point of the exercise I assume is that dresses expose knickers so are unsuitable for all 3 genders.

Simon Cameron

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 12:58pm
To me thats discrimination. Confused Make all girls wear trousers ?  Why not make all boys wear dresses ??? Wacko
I thought unisex meant they could wear  "either or ", not one particular item stipulated by whoever makes the rules ?
This gender bashing they are dead set on doing at school now is just so so wrong. They are supposed to be teaching kids to read and write , not screw their heads full of this sort of rubbish.
I would be like Jujuno , and absolutely furious, if it was my kid.

animals before people.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:13pm
You should've seen the kilt's the girls had to wear at Assumption College. I bet a few of them would have preferred pants.
Time is a flat circle
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:33pm
 with this cold snap hitting, the pants might be a preferred option.

But it should never be a reason to stop kids enjoying school. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:50pm
I hate dresses . Always have.  Live in trousers, jeans, pant suits, you name it.  But I would hate hate hate to be told what I could or could not wear.  ESPECIALLY by school teachers. Angry
And yes TJ, i have worn kilts.  Real ones made in Scotland, for some formal events.
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:53pm

Men in togas are nice.

Embarrassed
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:10pm
A lot of the kids are so fat they should be wearing muumuus.

Simon Cameron

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I hate dresses . Always have.  Live in trousers, jeans, pant suits, you name it.  But I would hate hate hate to be told what I could or could not wear.  ESPECIALLY by school teachers. Angry
And yes TJ, i have worn kilts.  Real ones made in Scotland, for some formal events.

These ones were shockers aa. Ankle length LOL
Time is a flat circle
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

A lot of the kids are so fat they should be wearing muumuus.

that's the trouble with having Maccas as your tuck-shop...

Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:24pm
I wonder if any of the advocates for a “ gender neutral” childhood have ever tried to explain to a 6 year old?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 3:38pm
These ones were shockers aa. Ankle length

Thats outrageous.  Cry  Kilts were never meant to go to the ankles. 
And it shouldnt have to be explained to a 6 year old.  Way too young to be stuffing that rubbish in their heads .
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 4:19pm

I wonder if any of the advocates for a “ gender neutral” childhood have ever tried to explain to a 6 year old?
Well I'll throw a bull into the China shop Confused " Why does the Education Department allow this to happen in the first place " ??? 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 5:59pm
I could not agree more, Carioca. 
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 6:44pm
Yes AA , they are there to educate and mentor the child , not confuse their mind with this utter rubbish that has crept into the basics of learning of the last twenty years , their are certain people who push push and push this crap towards our young that has f...k all to do with education .!! Ouch
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 6:55pm
 try talking to any of them. The left-wing political mafia.

Ouch
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Yes AA , they are there to educate and mentor the child , not confuse their mind with this utter rubbish that has crept into the basics of learning of the last twenty years , their are certain people who push push and push this crap towards our young that has f...k all to do with education .!! Ouch

Girls don't come out of the womb wanting to wear dresses - they've been pushed.Wink

Simon Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>