Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

What is your view of ABC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

What is it about Catholicism that worries the ABC ? 

Since  Dominic Perrottet, a Roman Catholic, is likely to be the next  Premier of NSW , the ABC has queried his beliefs and how they might affect his decision making , The ABC have even gone back into the school in which he was educated in his youth.

When Paul  Keating was PM or has Annastacia Palaszczuk ever been queried queried as to whether their decision making was affected by their Catholicism ?

You don’t remember the mad monk putting his religious beliefs ahead of his responsibilities as health minister?

This nut bag voted against decriminalisation of abortion not long ago.

There’s a euthanasia vote coming up
Etc etc
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:12pm
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:35pm
So he'd rather a system where paedophiles and murderers can come in and tell a priest of their crimes and this is the extent of the blame they should feel they need to take and Bob can't understand why anyone should be bothered that he is is catholic?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:38pm
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

So he'd rather a system where paedophiles and murderers can come in and tell a priest of their crimes and this is the extent of the blame they should feel they need to take and Bob can't understand why anyone should be bothered that he is is catholic?
Is this really any different to the legal system ? How many guilty people get off on the back of a clever barrister or lawyer  - who know their client is guilty ?
Refer ALP Election Promises
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 3:03pm
LOL Immensely different. 
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 3:15pm
Why - in both cases guilty people are getting away with things that they shouldn't be. I'd suggest priests have a better case than legal types though - not driven by the money ! 
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 3:41pm
You can't get banged up for a long stretch in a confessional. Quite the opposite.  You emerge with a pardon every time.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 3:51pm
Still don't get your argument. So its ok to use every dirty trick in the book to get a murderer, rapist or child molester off the hook - & then celebrate the fact with your mates ?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 3:55pm
So OJ's legal team did a great job - even though they knew he was guilty as hell ?
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:59pm
Another 11 facepalm moment LOL

I mean I can't even be bothered explaining the difference between a guy getting off on a criminal charge due to legal technicalities and a guy confessing to a crime in a box in a church and the church thinking it is ok for them to not report it because it is between the person and God.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:35pm
Well I'll make it real simple for you. The priest knows the bloke in front of him is guilty. The Barrister knows the bloke in front of him is guilty. Both act in the same way - covering up the facts. The priest by saying nothing. The barrister by telling bullgelati so his guilty client walks free. The end result is the same. The only difference is the barrister thinks he's done a great job & gets paid a fortune for his efforts. So pleez - go right ahead Afross & explain the difference !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:45pm
& since when does a barrister stop at "legal technicalities" Afross ? They will take every opportunity / weakness / diversion available to ensure their guilty client walks - or at least minimises the punishment. And usually the better the barrister , & the more he charges , the more chance he will expose those weaknesses & get a better outcome for you. And the more he will celebrate when he does - regardless of how guilty the person is. Think I'd prefer the priest doing nothing
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:09pm
Some barristers take these cases, many refuse.
Most barristers don’t succeed in getting a free pass for paedophile’s.
ALL priests give the paedophile’s a free pass
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:19pm
Not that I know of what happens within the confessional, but is there any chance a priest convinces a paedophile to go the police and admit his guilt ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:22pm
Hahahahahahahahahaha
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Not that I know of what happens within the confessional, but is there any chance a priest convinces a paedophile to go the police and admit his guilt ?

Of course there is, and it would be more common than you think. The priest can't "force" anyone to make reparation (eg returning a stolen TV or turning himself in for a crime), and he can't make that kind of thing a conditional part of penance/ forgiveness, but he certainly can and should counsel and encourage the person to do the right thing by law.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:38pm
See here's the problem with that argument Rusty. How often do you here of Barristers pulling the pin half way through a trial for believing their client is guilty ? I've never heard of it. Are they even allowed too? I mean surely as the evidence comes out from witnesses there must be times when the barrister thinks "the bastards been lying to me - he did rape that little kid" - but they still go ahead & rip shreds off people they know are telling the truth. Reality is defense lawyers see it as a game - a competition if you like - more about them winning I think. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:39pm
hear
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Biased as it gets ..   You have NO idea of the accuracy of a silly conclusion.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

See here's the problem with that argument Rusty. How often do you here of Barristers pulling the pin half way through a trial for believing their client is guilty ? I've never heard of it. Are they even allowed too? I mean surely as the evidence comes out from witnesses there must be times when the barrister thinks "the bastards been lying to me - he did rape that little kid" - but they still go ahead & rip shreds off people they know are telling the truth. Reality is defense lawyers see it as a game - a competition if you like - more about them winning I think. 
They can’t abort mid trial.

They can, however, and often do, decline to take cases such as this.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 12:01am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Biased as it gets ..   You have NO idea of the accuracy of a silly conclusion.
Cmon old fella.
Specifically, where is it wrong.
Tell us precisely how it’s silly.

Just because they vote conservative, it doesn’t make it legal.
You understand that premise surely?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 12:41am
To make a broad statement that all Priests condone/allow/cover for Paedophile's is a bit rich , don't you think .

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 7:52am
11, do you understand the difference between knowing someone is guilty and proving it?

Surely you also believe that everyone is deserving of a fair trial?

So if someone is guilty of any crime, they deserve their day in court and in a vast majority of cases are found guilty, ok some get off despite the vast believing they are guilty, such as OJ Simpson or George Pell but we have to run as a lawful society, not like a wild mob who convict via the kangaroo court.

As for the old priests, well if someone walks into a confessional and says "forgive me father for I have shot my mother, father and brother" the priest says nothing, if the same man goes to trial for these actions his lawyer argues his case because it is his job, he isn't paid to decide guilt he's paid to defend the his client.  What excuse has the priest?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 8:43am

So OJ's legal team did a great job - even though they knew he was guilty as hell ?

If the glove dont fit you must acquit. The prosecution stuffed up but the case did go to trial. You dont want cases involving child abusers to even go to court if it means the church going against 14 centuries of them handing out free pardons to evil doers using a device they created for that purpose. 

What did Jesus say about the sanctity of the confessional?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:03am
Well the difference for me is that at least a priest has a genuine conviction behind his action (ie his religious belief) - what has a barrister got to hang his hat on - the fact that its a high paying job ? I'm not here to protect priests - far from it. It just always amuses me how legal folk seem to be totally excused from requiring a moral compass because "that's their job" !   
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:05am
Do atheists get a say?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:06am
No you don't PT LOL
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:46pm

Well the difference for me is that at least a priest has a genuine conviction behind his action (ie his religious belief) - what has a barrister got to hang his hat on - the fact that its a high paying job ? I'm not here to protect priests - far from it. It just always amuses me how legal folk seem to be totally excused from requiring a moral compass because "that's their job" !   

Just as the priest can hide behind his beliefs, so to a lawyer can say the accused had legal rights to a fair trial.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:47pm
*too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>