Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Victorian Racing Integrity & Stewards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 2:59am
Sorry, should add that Gary Pearce runs the FB page "Allow Danny Nikolic to ride" and is now being sued by Bailey for defamation
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 8:48am
G1X May 18th- interesting news for RV plans...

NEWS / HORSE RACING
Who governs at Racing Victoria?

BY BRUCE CLARK - @SNOWYCLARK
14 hours ago Horse Racing
RV chairman David Moodie. (Pic: Vince Caligiuri/Getty)
It is a significant date on the calendar – next Tuesday. It’s not a race meeting but a date specially convened by Racing Victoria to consolidate and pursue changes to its own governance structure.
Yet little publicity has been given to it. The ramifications are enormous and G1X.com.au can reveal the chasm between the governing body (RV) and the shareholders and stakeholders is wide.
Watching over these developments is Racing Minister Martin Pakula, who has long called for RV to lead the way on changes – to what he describes as an out-dated model that “went out with button-up boots” – and is his view, move towards one that ensures independence and integrity.
That is something RV has confirmed it is committed to doing and has been doing so in a consultative process over the past six months.
“The Board has made a recommendation to its 14 Members on a reform of the Board director appointment process,” RV chief executive Bernard Saundry said.
“The recommended change centres upon replacing the current member voting structure with a new appointment panel that will include nominees from industry groups as well as a nominee of the Minister for Racing. The recommended change is to ensure that the process is commensurate with modern governance standards and delivers diverse and highly-skilled future Boards.”
RV presented its case and proposed new structure to the three metropolitan racing clubs, Country Racing Victoria and industry participant representative groups (that’s 14 members) on Tuesday.
But they see the RV proposal as nothing more than a “power grab” to seize industry control for themselves. Hence a standoff is looming, along with a possible no-confidence vote in RV and its chairman David Moodie, and an obvious trigger for Pakula to move in and impose his own model.

Martin Pakula. (Pic: Quinn Rooney/Getty).
Under the RV proposal, the new board make-up would allow the three city clubs (VRC, MRC and MVRC) one vote between them, one for Country Racing Victoria (CRV), one for industry groups, and one Government appointment. The sticking point is that RV has proposed a vote and that includes the nomination of the chairman (total five votes).
“The chances of this getting up are a million to one,” one club representative told G1X.com.au.
“Basically RV is asking the clubs to virtually give up their rights and hand total control to RV who control the election. We want the government to have more say and RV to simply handle nominations and skill check the applicants or nominations then stand back from the process.”
RV said Tuesday’s process was that their nominations sub-committee would address the clubs’ concerns and response to the proposal before deciding whether it would proceed further to the 10 industry groups (comprising representatives from TROA (owners) ATA (trainers), TBV (breeders), AJRA (jumps racing), VBA (bookmakers), VJA (jockeys) and four union groups.
RV said the special general meeting and industry body members meetings are both scheduled to proceed on Tuesday, or may be deferred to a later date, depending on the outcome of the Board's considerations.
“Whatever the outcome, the Board is committed to ensuring that the industry has a modern governance model to best serve its members, stakeholders, customers and participants,” Saundry said.
Pakula told G1X.com.au last November on The Agenda, governance revue was critical. He said at the time the current antiquated structure of quotas and ballots was “not ideal”.
He said he has discussed with RV chairman David Moodie and Saundry the ideal governance model. He said it is not the “best practice” to have a process where the people who govern can, effectively, “be the people governing themselves”.
“I have had some discussions with Racing Victoria about that, but I don’t think we want to move towards a situation where we have a full statutory authority all appointed by the minister.
“Right now what you have is the integrity controlled by Racing Victoria and you have a Racing Victoria Board which effectively has a lot of racing stakeholders. That is not ideal,” he said.
“I have always said we need to be more independent in terms of the governance model — separate the integrity somewhat without throwing the baby out with the bath water.”
The Board model that Pakula is advocating is one where there is still racing acumen, but greater separation from the stakeholders. “The current board includes several owners, including the chairman,” Pakula told G1X.com.au at the time.
The implication here is that Pakula and the government have given the industry ample time to sort out a new model moving forward and as of today there is a Grand Canyon between agreement and implementation.
A notion of, “if you can’t sort it out, I will,” via the Racing Minister is looming for the Victorian racing industry.
It’s why Tuesday’s meeting is absolutely crucial to Victorian racing’s long-term future with the clubs feeling marginalised and believing RV is trying to seize total control to rule from the top.
SEE COMMENTS
Overseer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Overseer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 9:57am
Looks like David Moodie is trying to manipulate the future "appointment" process in Victoria to mirror image what his buddy Messara forged in NSW.

Without any hullabaloo or fanfare curtail the race club's ability to democratically elect their RVL representatives - and instead see those representatives hand picked by a group of 5 nominees that those who want to control RVL hand picked themselves. Very similar to the original Board Messara had Souris line up excepting Ken Callender and Tim Hughes realised they were just "patsies" to give their 5 member nomination group credibility. This is why they both resigned after the initial nomination board meeting.

A warning to race club members, owners and trainers. Fight for the right to democratically elect members to RVL. That way the industry can maintain healthy governance – unlike the out of control situation in NSW.

Just ask 99% of thoroughbred Breeders what they think of Messara's personal new industry regulations affecting breeders - brought in under the guise of Racing Australia and his marionette Peter (the purple zone) Mc Gauran.
Watch the commission go on
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 2:20pm
At least one conclusion might be drawn from this.

From Racenet:

RV support single integrity unit for racing codes

Clinton Payne - 19 May 2016

Racing Victoria has thrown its support behind the concept of integrity services management of the three racing codes being handled by one body.

Racing Victoria chairman David Moodie. Photo: Darryl Sherer

The Victorian state government released its review of the Victorian racing industry integrity structures in which they recommend a Victorian Racing Integrity Unit (VRIU) to control integrity services across thoroughbred, greyhound and harness racing.

The review of current integrity structures was undertaken by former British Horse Racing Authority executive Paul Bittar. The government has accepted in principle the recommendations of Bittar with a two-year time frame for implementation.

"This is about giving Victorian racing an integrity model that provides rigorous and impartial oversight of the three codes," a government statement read.

"I thank Mr Bittar for his work in conducting the review and each of the controlling bodies for their cooperation and support, and I look forward to seeing the key recommendations implemented within the next two years."

RV issued a statement on Thursday with the chairman David Moodie saying RV "welcomes the opportunity to discuss the report with government”.

"We support the principle of collaboration between the three racing codes and believe that our expertise and processes will be invaluable in helping to inform future discussions with Government, HRV and GRV,” the statement read.

"We also believe in continual development and strengthening of our integrity programs and resources, as maintaining the integrity of Victorian thoroughbred racing is at the core of our existence.”

Click here to view the report titled ‘Review of the Integrity Structures of the Victorian Racing Industry’.

3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 6:49pm
RV CEO Bernard Saundry

Outgoing RV CEO Bernard Saundry (Image: Tom Pollock)

Saundry to stand down as RV CEO

r

racing.com Staff@Racing

4:17pm

, (

Racing Victoria chief executive Bernard Saundry will stand down at the end of the year.

Saundry advised the RV board on Thursday at its monthly meeting of his intention to conclude his tenure with the principal racing authority at the conclusion of 2016.

Saundry will end a 14-year term with Racing Victoria in December 2016, having been promoted from chief operating officer to chief executive in November 2012.

“After a long and enjoyable 14 years with Racing Victoria, I have made the decision that now is an appropriate time for change both for the organisation and for my family and I,” Saundry said.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time working within the Victorian thoroughbred racing industry and believe that the time is now right for a new chief executive to lead the implementation of our next strategic plan with Victorian racing in a strong position for the future.

“I will forever retain fond memories of all the hard-working participants, passionate fans and tireless administrators whom I’ve had the opportunity to meet and work alongside during my time at Racing Victoria.

“I have agreed to remain on to the end of this year to assist the Board in its search for a new chief executive and to ensure a smooth period of transition for the organisation and wider industry.

“There remain a number of key projects around infrastructure, wagering, governance and integrity that I’m keen to progress to ensure that the industry is best placed to realise its future growth strategies.

“As such, it will remain business as usual for myself and Racing Victoria throughout the remainder of 2016.”

During his tenure as chief executive Saundry has overseen a significant turnaround in RV’s financial health from a position of debt to one of strength, which has enabled significant increases in returns to the industry to enable its future success.

He has also led a new media rights strategy that now sees Victorian thoroughbred racing as the only sporting code in Australia with its own 24/7 free-to-air television channel, Racing.com.

RV chairman David Moodie paid tribute to Saundry and thanked him for his many years of valued service.

“On behalf of the board, I wish to thank Bernard for his outstanding service to Racing Victoria and the Victorian thoroughbred racing industry over the past 14 years,” Moodie said.

“No one could ever question Bernard’s commitment and dedication to the task and his desire to see Victorian racing grow and prosper for the benefit of all. His contribution will always be valued.

“We are pleased that Bernard will continue in his position until the end of the year to assist in the transition to our next chief executive and the start of another chapter in the history of Racing Victoria.”

https://www.racing.com/news/2016-05-26/saundry-to-stand-down-as-rv-ceo

linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 8:36pm
Fantastic news. I also move for V'landys to head down there to show the Victorians how it's done...
to the victor
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 8:54pm
Irony is sadly lost on many of us here linghi11, but I'm with you on this one. WinkEmbarrassed
Uluru View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uluru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:41pm
Wonder if Terry Bailey will apply for the job?
Life's a Sham
the miz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the miz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Fantastic news. I also move for V'landys to head down there to show the Victorians how it's done...

plus 1
the miz
v'landwick the king of spin
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:13pm
Just announced that a minimum bet law will be introduced into Victoria by october 2016. About time and now maybe the damned bookies will actually have to do some work instead of thinking they can just take money off people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Just announced that a minimum bet law will be introduced into Victoria by october 2016. About time and now maybe the damned bookies will actually have to do some work instead of thinking they can just take money off people.

What will it mean ?

Can bookmaker still ban punters ?

Will improve the odds available ? 
reductio ad absurdum
James View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:35pm
No details yet but I imagine will be similar to NSW.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 3:31pm
Just when you wondered if it could possibly worsen.............. LOL

I received a 2nd hand text message a couple of days ago & wondered how long it would take for anyone in mainstream racing media to be brave enough to expose it.
We didn't have to wait long - good onya Ben Dorries Clap Clap Clap

Edited by Gay3 - 29 Jul 2019 at 6:10pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 3:38pm
Some of them are absolute doozies too
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 3:56pm
I got a text message mentioning a few big names possibly facing serious charges. On a broader scale up to 20 trainers and 30 jockeys under the microscope.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

I got a text message mentioning a few big names possibly facing serious charges. On a broader scale up to 20 trainers and 30 jockeys under the microscope.

This story is dynamite if true. All cheats need to go or the industry will suffer. It doesn’t matter if they are leading riders or trainers. Plenty of honest hardworking jockeys and trainers coming through.
I have heard jockeys and trainers names and on the jockey side, there were not many surprises but you will be stunned at some who will be named.
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 4:08pm
I’ve heard nothing but I’m just a nobody
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 4:49pm
Winner of race 3 in SA today was a moral

“WICKED SCANDAL”
Lexawin View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexawin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 11:45am
Yep top Jockeys ...punting...possible race fixing.... not a good look at all..but IF they are guilty throw them out no matter who they are.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 12:17pm
Text this morning from a local trainer friend (Ballarat) At least they're being seen to be proactive LOL

Drug and Breath tests at track this morning. Talk about chaos in the stripping shed. They were bringing every horse with a rider on into the shed. FML, horses going everywhere. Most have never been in there, ever🙈

Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 12:28pm
What’s the point of breath testing a horse?

The couldn’t fit behind the steering wheel, never mind grip on to it.

More industry funds wasted.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 12:49pm
Big weekend on the gear in Ballarat, must be trying to catch a few out
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Just when you wondered if it could possibly worsen.............. LOL

I received a 2nd hand text message a couple of days ago & wondered how long it would take for anyone in mainstream racing media to be brave enough to expose it.
We didn't have to wait long - good onya Ben Dorries Clap Clap Clap

Did this text message suggest a famous but unorthodox trainer had gone bankrupt ?

Despite my frustration with this particular trainer I hope this rumour proves incorrect.

Some of the other names and numbers are mind boggling.

reductio ad absurdum
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 5:54pm
I’m hearing prominent trainers vets are implicated.... those cleanskins may not be so clean
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by skippy123 skippy123 wrote:

I’m hearing prominent trainers vets are implicated.... those cleanskins may not be so clean

And rogue vets are going to be popping up everywhere... valuable only if that excuse hasn’t already been used as a defence prior of course...
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 6:11pm
It did djebel, christian name starting with "R"?

skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 6:32pm
Big trots trainer arrested today- allegedly same gear as other DQ’d persons... may explain the breath testing etc at a certain race club today
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by skippy123 skippy123 wrote:

Big trots trainer arrested today- allegedly same gear as other DQ’d persons... may explain the breath testing etc at a certain race club today

Well if correct that's the very first authenticated fact in terms of criminality in this entire thread thus far.

High on hyperbole but thus far full of unsubstantiated scuttlebutt.

Not saying there isn't something in the wind, but some on here do appear entirely obsessed with rumor and innuendo.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 7:32pm
I heard Emma Stewart! I don't think they come much bigger in Vic Disapprove

Edited by Gay3 - 29 Jul 2019 at 7:33pm
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 7:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>