Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Verry Elleegant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 46>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 12:58pm
This is a bit more encouraging Big smile

Trainer yet to fully test Verry Elleegant

Verry Elleegant's new trainer Francis-Henri Graffard says he is yet to fully test the star mare as he ramps up her work ahead of a European racetrack debut.

As revealed by Racing.com earlier this week, Graffard is likely to have Verry Elleegant resume in the Group 1 Prix Rothschild at Deauville on August 2.

The 1600-metre fillies and mares contest would act as a lead-up to the Darley Prix Jean Romanet over 2000m back at Deauville on August 21.

Verry Elleegant had her first grass gallop last Thursday and is set to repeat that work this week.

"I haven't tested her yet," Graffard told RSN927.

"But what I've seen she's a strong filly and she is feeling good in her body and very sound.

"I have good horses in my yard, so we will put her with them and see where we stand."

Graffard said the 11-time G1 winner had settled into her new surrounds as well as he could have hoped.

"She was a good doer straight away," he said.

"She was not really keen on her hay to start but now she's much better.

"You can see she's been a champion mare and very well looked after.

"She likes to have a roll in the sand paddock and people looking at her.

"Everything has been straightforward so far."

On Verry Elleegant's race plan, Graffard said: "I would just like to start her over a shorter distance because I can see she can be a strong filly in the race.

"And in France the pace can be not very strong and usually it's quite tactical here.

"So I think this race could be a good starting point for her.

"Hopefully she would be 95 per cent ready for that but obviously it's first run in Europe and after that she can have a Group 1 over 10 furlongs in Deauville three weeks later."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 12:58pm

French trainer Francis-Henri Graffard, provide an update on star mare Verry Elleegant

Verry Elleegant's new trainer Francis-Henri Graffard says he is yet to fully test the star mare as he ramps up her work ahead of a European racetrack debut.

As revealed by Racing.com earlier this week, Graffard is likely to have Verry Elleegant resume in the Group 1 Prix Rothschild at Deauville on August 2.

The 1600-metre fillies and mares contest would act as a lead-up to the Darley Prix Jean Romanet over 2000m back at Deauville on August 21.

Verry Elleegant had her first grass gallop last Thursday and is set to repeat that work this week.

"I haven't tested her yet," Graffard told RSN927.

"But what I've seen she's a strong filly and she is feeling good in her body and very sound.

"I have good horses in my yard, so we will put her with them and see where we stand."

Graffard said the 11-time G1 winner had settled into her new surrounds as well as he could have hoped.

"She was a good doer straight away," he said.

"She was not really keen on her hay to start but now she's much better.

"You can see she's been a champion mare and very well looked after.

"She likes to have a roll in the sand paddock and people looking at her.

"Everything has been straightforward so far."

On Verry Elleegant's race plan, Graffard said: "I would just like to start her over a shorter distance because I can see she can be a strong filly in the race.

"And in France the pace can be not very strong and usually it's quite tactical here.

"So I think this race could be a good starting point for her.

"Hopefully she would be 95 per cent ready for that but obviously it's first run in Europe and after that she can have a Group 1 over 10 furlongs in Deauville three weeks later."

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 12:59pm
LOL  You was 9 seconds too quick for me Gay. Embarrassed
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 1:17pm

reductio ad absurdum
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 5:18pm
Soumi (one of my favs) gave VE a spin.

Verry Elleegant has given her new stable a glimpse of what might be to come ahead of her French debut on August 2 after impressing one of the world’s best jockeys in a crucial gallop at Chantilly this week.

Belgian rider Christophe Soumillon rode Verry Elleegant in a testing 1600-metre straight gallop alongside another of trainer Francis-Henri Graffard’s stars in Malavath on Wednesday and he later gave a glowing report on her progress ahead of her planned kick-off at Deauville in less than three weeks.

“His comment after the gallop was that ‘she feels like she has a very big engine’,” part-owner Brae Sokolski said. “He was very positive about her after she built strongly into her gallop and ran through the line.

“It’s full steam ahead now. Today was the nomination day for her first race (Prix Rothschild) and she’s been entered and she’ll start-off there.”

Sokolski said Graffard wanted to give Australasia’s champion mare a genuine test and so put her up against one of his best fillies.

“It was her first really serious gallop and she passed with flying colours,” Sokolski said

“He (Graffard) worked her over a straight mile at Chantilly and she worked with a horse called Malavath, who is a three-year-old filly in his stable that he rates very highly.

“She ran second in the Breeders’ Cup for juvenile fillies and she is also set for a return in that race (Rothschild).”

“He (Graffard) said that everything that Verry Elleegant does points to her being an elite stayer.”

A decision is to be made closer to the August 2 Prix Rothschild on who will ride Verry Elleegant with Soumillon, who is also a contracted rider for the Aga Khan, likely to partner her or Malavath.

Verry Elleegant will be given every chance to make it to her ultimate destination – the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe (2400m) at Longchamp on October 2 - with three group 1 lead-in runs in mares’ company planned.

Last year’s Melbourne Cup winner is likely to go from the Prix Rothschild at Deauville to the Jean Romanet (2000m) at the same track before the Prix Vermeille (2400m) over the Arc course on September 11.

Sokolski said the mare’s connections were beginning to feel the excitement build at what could lay ahead in the next few months.

“It (European campaign) was all great in theory but now it’s coming to the point where it is tangible and is now looming large on the horizon.”

How Verry Elleegant’s French campaign is shaping:

€300,000 G1 Prix Rothschild (1600m), F&M, Deauville, August 2.

€250,000 G1 Darley Prix Jean Romanet (2000m), Mares, Deauville, August 21.

€600,000 G1 Qatar Prix Vermeille (2400m), F&M, Longchamp, September 11.

Then possibly…

€5,000,000 G1 Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe (2400m), Longchamp, October 2.

Time is a flat circle
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 5:27pm
They must be twisting his arm to run her over a mile

“He (Graffard) said that everything that Verry Elleegant does points to her being an elite stayer.”
reductio ad absurdum
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

‘she feels like she has a very big engine’

Beer
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 6:38pm
Pretty much an Australian prep with a run every 3 weeks.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 10:04pm
Your not in favour kavg ? Wink
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 12:54am
I'm ambivalent Carioca. But I'm pretty sure there is someone who wouldn't be in favour LOL 
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 1:27am
The fact the trainer has supposedly said she acts like an elite stayer tells me he would not be kicking her off over 1600m. 

I dare say If it was 100% up to him it would be 2400m all the way through. 

Thev3 weeks between runs is not an issue. 
reductio ad absurdum
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 9:29am
You would like to hear this from the Jockeys moutConfused
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 2:11pm
The fact that she acts like an " elite Stayer " is on her form card Confused not too many mares have a better record in the last 50 years than her , I respect o/s trainers , but imo Waller has done a superb job in her prep. startups, if this blokes stays in a similar vein I'll be more than happy , at least she'll stay sound , a 2400 first up Big smile she's only been there 5 minutes .
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 5:09am
Potential challenge is that they dont go too hard early in France.  Somewhat similar to AUS.

Whilst it will be great to see her over 2000 & more importantly over 2400m, the 1600m is a nice kick off that should see her get some speed earlier in the race. 
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 10:21pm
The Group 1 Goodwood Cup (3218m WFA) will be run tonight at Goodwood and its always been a good race over the years. In 2021 Trueshan and Verry Elleegant were according to ratings assessed as the joint number 1 stayers in the world. Trueshan is in this race this year so where's Verry Elleegant??? 
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 10:30pm
In training to peak for a race in October.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 10:31pm
In a race the other horse can’t run in.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

In training to peak for a race in October.

But her peak performance was at 3200m? 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 1:55pm

PRIX ROTHSCHILD

02/08/2022 00h00, DEAUVILLE

Flat , 1.600 meters , Straight course
( 171.420, 68.580, 34.290, 17.130, 8.580)
After 1st forfeit : 19 Entered. 10 Forfeits. Premium race

Legal notice
Horse Weight Rating Priority Owner Trainer Earnings
1 kennella f.ps. 4 a. 59 kg 46.5

D.R.LODGE/N.CAMPOS N. CAULLERY 26.400
2 dreamloper ire f.ps. 5 a. 59 kg 52.0

JASON FILL ECD. WALKER 220.554
3 pearls galore f.ps. 5 a. 59 kg 49.5

SCEA HARAS DE SAINT PAIR P. TWOMEY 120.000
4 verry elleegant nz f.ps. 7 a. 59 kg 52.5

JOMARA BLOODSTOCK LTD FH. GRAFFARD (S) 368.409
5 saffron beach ire f.ps. 4 a. 59 kg 52.5

MME SANGSTER/WIGAN/SANGSTER MME J. CHAPPLE-HYAM 343.653
6 goldistyle (ire) f.ps. 4 a. 59 kg 48.0

WERTHEIMER & FRERE C. LAFFON-PARIAS 32.000
7 sibila spain ire f.ps. 4 a. 59 kg 50.5

YEGUADA CENTURION SLU CHR. HEAD (S) 90.113
8 malavath ire f.ps. 3 a. 56 kg 50.0

EVEREST RACING FH. GRAFFARD (S) 44.000
9 tenebrism usa f.ps. 3 a. 56 kg 52.0

WESTERBERG/COOLMORE/MERRIBELLE AP. O'BRIEN 260.491
reductio ad absurdum
kiwi88 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 4:43pm
English racing pundit Matt Chapman believes Australians should be “disappointed” if Verry Elleegant doesn’t “make the mark” in next month's Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.
A phenomenon in Australia, connections surprised the racing industry in April when deciding to send the wonder mare to continue her career at the stable of Francis-Henri Graffard in Chantilly, France.
Whether she races again before the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe is yet to be determined, but initial reports suggest she'll run second-up in the l’Arc.
Raced over 2400m, Chapman believes there’s no reason why Verry Elleegant won’t win arguably the world's greatest race.
“There’s no reason why not,” Chapman told Cam Luke on SEN Track.
“She is really good, we know that, and she is really, really good for an Australian middle-distance horse.
“To win a Melbourne Cup, everyone knows that’s very special, you don’t just do that by fluke – she’s a very very talented horse.”
Having won four from four over the 2400m distance, Chapman believes the rivals Verry Elleegant will meet aren’t the top-end talent that we’ve seen in previous editions of the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.
“As we’ve just seen in our mid-summer highlights, our middle-distance horses aren’t the ‘worldies’ that they could be,” Chapman added.
“Our Derby winner is currently injured, and he looked as though he was going to be very special but who knows if he’ll ever race again.
“The six horses who went to the King George on Saturday, four of them were disappointing, one of them needs heavy ground and the other horse won it as a complete outsider.
“There’s not a lot around in the middle-distanced department, to be honest, if I was an Australian, I’d be thinking if she doesn’t make the mark, I’d be pretty disappointed.
“The ground will be the key thing for her, racing in France will see her face more testing ground than she would if she was racing in the UK.
“As I’m sure you’ve heard down under, we had weather down here last week that was hotter than the Sahara Desert and it’s meant to be another mini heat wave in a week’s time so who knows what the ground will necessarily be in France with the crazy conditions around the world.”

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 5:55pm
Matt Chapman likes to throw a firework into any discussion. I doubt HE believes a single word he said regarding the Arc.

There are whispers apparently that Baaeed could go for the Arc. 
reductio ad absurdum
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 5:59pm

I agree with all of that 

Soft track won’t bother her 2400m perfect on wet ground when u have 3200m legs 

Think she can win it !! 

Hurricane Lane thrives on wet ground he’ll be suited n abit of a threat 

But I reckon our girl has the engine backed up with TICKER in for a dogfight !! 

The ability is there no doubt 2400m is dipping right into her range wet ground TICK just needs to produce her best on the day 

That may or may not be past her !! 

Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 7:40pm
She'll be fine, she's a champion. She will run a big race all being well. Champions are champions for a reason.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:07pm
Not running in the Prix Rothschild
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 9:08pm
Prix Jean Romanet over 2000m on the 21st August now the kick off point
Time is a flat circle
kiwi88 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 12:33am
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 2:23am
On reflection this is not positive news. Whilst the 2000m race is clearly the better kick off point for her the reasonings are concerning -

reductio ad absurdum
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 7:59am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Matt Chapman likes to throw a firework into any discussion. I doubt HE believes a single word he said regarding the Arc.

There are whispers apparently that Baaeed could go for the Arc. 

Obvious what the loud mouthed wan*er is doing.

If she wins, he can say I told you she would.

If she runs and is beaten, he can say I told you Australian horses are no good, she's their best middle distance horse and ours pantsed her.

If she doesn't run, he can say I told you Australians are afraid to take on the best and be proven inferior.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 9:53am
What do you mean Djebel? Is she not showing enough speed, or do you think things aren’t panning out like they planned?
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 2:30pm
The trainer could be saying anything.

She may not be acclimatising, Or he may realise that the 1600m may not suit her and with her being a big deal he knows she is much better off first up over 2000m.

It's not like down her where if she was resuming over 1400m in the WInx Stakes she'd be taking on fellow middle distance horses over the shorter trip.

If we do not see her on the 21st of August we can be sure she is not going well.

reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 46>