Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Trust In A Gust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trust In A Gust
    Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 10:56pm
Trust In A Gust will be retiring to Swettenham Stud this season after the Brisbane carnival.

His sire Keep The Faith was bred as part of an Australian – Japan accord between Arrowfield and Shadai Studs.  He was installed a pre-post favourite for the 2003 Golden Slipper Stakes after a brilliant debut victory for Sheikh Mohammed and he franked that form as a three year-old in the LR Schweppervescence Cup (1600m) at Caulfield before transferring to North America.

A son of super-sire Sunday Silence, Keep The Faith became the fastest 1200m horse to ever race in the United States when clocking 1.06.82s on turf at Belmont.

Sangster bought his dam Subtle Breeze for $140,000 at the dispersal of his father’s prized bloodstock assets at Keeneland in November 2007.  “She’s big and strong, a typical Storm Cat and is a three-quarter sister to Balanchine,” he said.  “It’s a beautiful pedigree and I also felt a sentimental connection to her.”

Back in 1993, Balanchine won two juvenile races in England by a combined 10 lengths before Robert Sangster sold the filly to Sheikh Mohammed.  “She went on to win the Irish Derby and English Oaks and was a pivotal part of Dad’s history.  Now she’s a part of mine through Trust In A Gust.

“Sunday Silence has nicked very successfully with Storm Cat and we’re confident the cross will be just as effective in Australia.”

Trust In A Gust will stand for a $12,500 (plus gst) service fee at Swettenham Stud and lifetime rights are available for $30,000.

Mayor
Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 9:40am
fair price to start off IMO
Speediskey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:34am
It's nowhere near as over priced as Deep Field, thats for sure. I question if he will be commercial though, no one will really want a four year old handicap winner as a stallion. I just think if they made it around 8k they could of really got a full book, at around 15k he will just struggle a little I feel.
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Speediskey Speediskey wrote:

It's nowhere near as over priced as Deep Field, thats for sure. I question if he will be commercial though, no one will really want a four year old handicap winner as a stallion. I just think if they made it around 8k they could of really got a full book, at around 15k he will just struggle a little I feel.

What do you mean 4yo handicap winner?

1st:
2014 Sir Rupert Clarke Stakes (AUS-G1,1400m,Caulfield)
2014 MRC Toorak Handicap (AUS-G1,1600m,Caulfield)
2nd:
2014 Drummond Golf Stakes (AUS-L,1200m,Moonee Valley)
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:56am
I'm not sure what you don't get? He won his only Group 1's at 4 and they we're both handicaps? He won one with 6kg off Dissident by 0.1 of a length and the other with 1kg of Speediness by less then a length, and the fact he did nothing before 4 won't appeal to commercial breeders too much.
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:27pm
Your statement: 'no one will really want a four year old handicap winner'

It's not correct.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:29pm
Was Trust In A Gust a "victim" of being trained by Darren Weir ?

He went through his grades which is a hallmark of Darren Weir.

Has Darren Weir ever had early 2 and or 3yos ?

If he does he seems to take them along slowly.

The horse has won 10 of 17, thats an outstanding strike rate.

I suspect he is better than his bare form suggests.

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Aurelius Aurelius wrote:

It's not correct.

It does not exactly scream class does it ?

reductio ad absurdum
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:41pm
Open Handicap. No.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:53pm
Irrespective of how one might rate Gp1 wins under handicap conditions, his race record of 17 starts for
10 wins, 5 placings and $1.1m in prizemoney is hardly shabby stuff.
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 2:00pm
Exactly.

You would hardly rule a line through him based on only winning a group 1 handicap.

I am not a statistical buff however you would think there would of been many good stallions
winning a G 1 with a weight advantage on some of hi rivals.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:05pm
I'm not saying stallions wouldn't of been successful, I'm saying at 15k you won't be able to make a profit of most of his yearlings because he wasn't a standout at 2 or 3 and he wasn't a standout at 4. If he could win a WFA G1 it would help a bit, but the fact he did nothing at 2 or 3 hurts you a lot commercially in Australia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:10pm
And for the most part I agree.  Only the top 5-10% of his first few crops will make Melbourne Premier, the rest will be sell at a loss jobs or breed to race types. 
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:38pm
Of course he maybe getting better with maturity and pick up that g1 wfa in bris

Either way he's better value than something like sizzling
runnerdance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runnerdance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:31pm
What's deep field going to stand for??
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 2:51pm

Trust In A Gust’s racing future in doubt

Trust In A Gust

Trust In A Gust winning last year's Toorak Handicap

Dual Group 1 winner Trust In A Gust may have run his last race with the four-year-old out of the Brisbane Winter Carnival.

The Darren Weir-trained son of Keep The Faith, who was recently purchased by Swettenham Stud, was scratched from last Saturday’s Group 1 BTC Cup (1200m) after he sustained a minor injury being loaded onto the plane.

Swettenham Director Adam Sangster confirmed the horse wouldn’t be heading to Queensland for Saturday week’s Group 1 Doomben 10,000 (1350m), but said there was no decision yet as to whether the horse had been retired.

Trust In A Gust was last seen at the races suffering a surprise first-up defeat in last month’s VOBIS Gold Sprint (1200m) at Caulfield.

The banner horse of the inaugural VOBIS Gold Premier race series, he provided Weir with his first Group 1 success in Victoria when he narrowly defeated Dissident in the Sir Rupert Clarke Charity Cup (1400m) at Caulfield, before winning again at the highest level in the Toorak Handicap (1600m) at the same track.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runnerdance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Aurelius Aurelius wrote:

It's not correct.

Doesnt matter if 'no one' will want one... fact... yearling market doesnt want this

Hes bread n butter... not remotely commercial... hes tomorrows Dash For Cash
LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 3:23pm
Trust in a handicap. Why do aussies glorify handicap winners?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speediskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by LR80 LR80 wrote:

Trust in a handicap. Why do aussies glorify handicap winners?

They don't really, as others have said he won't be commercial.
MichaelM View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MichaelM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 3:41pm
If there was to be a 'limiting factor' to his commercial appeal, I'd say it would be the sire he is by before the races he has won.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 3:52pm
I couldn't agree more Michael Thumbs Up
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
JadeLace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 4:10pm
Yes I'm not a Keep the Faith fan at all
JadeLace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 4:10pm
His wins have credibility though!
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 4:40pm
2/2 at group level.... His sire holds the U.S. 5FT record (lasix or otherwise, it's a level playing field over there).

Swettenham bought him for a price that doesn't need the spruik to turn a profit.

Can't imagine it's all that wise to declare him non-commercial off such a low expectation.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runnerdance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 4:53pm
He priced in a bracket he would want to be commercial - in direct competition (service fee) of the likes of Rubick etc His stock won't even exceed 30-35k (not even meeting production costs). Rubicks first yearlings will be 60k plus average
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 5:18pm
Swettenham only has room for six stallions, and they already have Americain, Equiano, Master of Design, plus Wow Signal, Toronado and Puissance De Lune (all new) on the books.

So unless TIAG's injuries are career ending can see him racing on as a 5yo to increase his attractiveness, after which time they'll have very possibly sacked Equiano.

I for one would certainly like to see him race on.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by runnerdance runnerdance wrote:

He priced in a bracket he would want to be commercial - in direct competition (service fee) of the likes of Rubick etc His stock won't even exceed 30-35k (not even meeting production costs). Rubicks first yearlings will be 60k plus average

Rubick was a good early runner, really well bred.

TIAG is a better racehorse.

thats just bredding, people (mostly blind IMO) throw darts at the board in the hope for a quick buck , they wand 2yo winners  
JadeLace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 6:25pm
2nd chance your right on the money one gets the boot
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

2/2 at group level.... His sire holds the U.S. 5FT record (lasix or otherwise, it's a level playing field over there).

Swettenham bought him for a price that doesn't need the spruik to turn a profit.

Can't imagine it's all that wise to declare him non-commercial off such a low expectation.

Good point Hare!
Off and racing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Off and racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 7:54pm
Obviously deserves a go at stud look at all the other stallions on the market that would not have even got close to running top 3 in a G1 in the saturated stallion market. What do you propose the owners do...geld him. I bet if the nay sayers owned him they would be trying to get a big stud for him to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>