Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Tom Dabernig and Lindsay Park to part ways

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 3:17pm
Dabernig out as of Sunday
Ben & JD partnership starts Monday
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Overweight trainers affect performance ? Now I've heard everything.

Shouldn’t make too much difference, unless they’re riding trackwork LOL
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Dabernig out as of Sunday
Ben & JD partnership starts Monday

Who is JD ?

I guess Ben just not have the presence to go it alone ?
reductio ad absurdum
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 1:28pm
Ben's brother
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 1:44pm
Thanks.
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 3:25pm
Were this an entirely amicable paring of the ways you'd think they'd make the official change in 5 weeks time at the end of the 2020/21 season.

Just saying.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 4:20pm
Dabernig is moving to Warrnambool, his family are already there apparently.
In process of having 50 boxes built (ready in December)
In the meantime, will be leasing 10 boxes from Beetroot Williams at his property.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Were this an entirely amicable paring of the ways you'd think they'd make the official change in 5 weeks time at the end of the 2020/21 season.

Just saying.
Originally announced he would move at the end of the season.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 7:32pm
Cheers Rusty, that would appear to support my impression.

ps there's rumor going around that despite his undoubted lineage JD might not know a fetlock from a football, let alone a whole lot about training horses.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 5:13pm
Think we were on the right track, judging by this post from Gay in another thread:

"Judging by recent media articles, owners of higher profile horses, are deserting the new camp in droves; most going to O'Brien & Dabernig Confused Finance Tycoon being the latest, to DOB".
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Cheers Rusty, that would appear to support my impression.

ps there's rumor going around that despite his undoubted lineage JD might not know a fetlock from a football, let alone a whole lot about training horses.
The criteria for a licence according to most governing bodies is very stringent...I know first hand, so if you're right re the rumour then he's getting preferred treatment........who'd a thought it?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 8:14pm
JD had an unspecified management role prior to his elevation: perhaps accounts, client liaison, marketing, sharpening pencils?  That when not training with and playing for the local footy side on weekends after failing to secure his playing future at VFL (no not AFL) level.

Hardly inspires confidence, particularly for longer time clients.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 8:28pm
Saw him acting as a strapper not long before the promotion 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 8:29pm
Bottom line, I’m laying all theirs, until proven otherwise.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 8:35pm
Wouldn't recognise him if he was standing two feet in front of me.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 2:25pm
Rusty, SC, Shawy & Bonjour. You are all well wide of the mark in your assessment and knowledge of JD Hayes prior experience, abilities & character. Mark my words. He will make it as a trainer.

Tom D was a trainer in SA before he joined David Hayes. Check his record

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 3:07pm
They have gone from the solicitors to the Icecream trainers. 

When I see them being interviewed it is hard to take them seriously.

Let's face it they simply process the horses and send them to the races. There is no great skill in what these big factories are doing. 
reductio ad absurdum
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 4:25pm
Djebel you obviously don't know JD Hayes
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

Rusty, SC, Shawy & Bonjour. You are all well wide of the mark in your assessment and knowledge of JD Hayes prior experience, abilities & character. Mark my words. He will make it as a trainer.

Tom D was a trainer in SA before he joined David Hayes. Check his record

I haven’t expressed an opinion on him, in any way.

I said I saw him doing strapper duties not long before he was promoted, and that I would be laying plenty of theirs moving forward.

Are you saying I was incorrect about him strapping?

I think most people would expect there would be a gap between Tom D & JD in the early months.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 6:26pm
I think you've misinterpreted my comments, I wouldn't know him if I fell over him simply means I have never seen him before, every winning interview I've seen so far has been from Ben or a staff member
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 6:30pm
And nor did I comment on the newbie's character.

ps Dabernig's strike rate when on his own was far from shabby.
EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 6:41pm
You did comment SC and passed on a pathetic rumour. You then made some pithy pencil sharpening jibe. 

Try to own your comments for once instead of side stepping at the first opportunity. 
longevity does not equate to credibility
EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 6:44pm
longevity does not equate to credibility
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 6:46pm
Hayes, Hayes and Dabernig city strike rate 2019/20: 9.5% - lowest strike rate of the top 10 training teams
Hayes and Dabernig city strike rate 2020/21: 9.5% - lowest strike rate of the top 10 training teams

Given the great number and excellent breeding of those on their books the bar is set relatively low, so it shouldn't be too difficult for the Hayes boys to at least maintain momentum.  Let's all wish them luck.  

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 6:41pm
Since the split:

Hayes brothers: 8% winners to runners
Dabernig: 25% winners to runners

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 6:49pm
Hahah, I’ve been laying the kids horses at every opportunity.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:00pm
Though to be even-handed, the percentage was nearly double the current one in three weeks following the split.  Most likely residual fitness of the Flemington (Dabernig) contingent.  

The scions have just one winner from their last 15 city starters.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 5:49pm

Flying Mascot still spelling

Flying Mascot starred during last season's Melbourne Festival of Racing but will be inactive during the upcoming seven-week period of feature racing.

Trainer Tom Dabernig told Racing.com that the five-year-old mare is halfway through an extended break in the spelling paddock.

The daughter of Tavistock most recently contested the $300,000 Tristarc Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield on October 15, finishing 10th in the Group 2 mares event won by Chain Of Lightning.

"She pulled up with a hairline stress fracture at the top of her cannon bone, it was discovered after her last run in the Tristarc," Dabernig said.

"She wasn't quite right in her action, so we sent her to Ballarat for scintigraphy and they found the issue.

"The vets say there's a good prognosis of recovery, but she required four months of rest in the paddock.

"That will probably rule out the autumn, we might be ready for Adelaide, and if she doesn't come up, she could go straight to stud."

Flying Mascot has been Dabernig's headline performer since making the decision to train in his own right from Warrnambool in mid-2021.

She won the G3 Tesio Stakes (1600m) on the 2021 Cox Plate undercard and claimed another two fillies and mares' G3 events the following autumn with victories in the Mannerism Stakes (1400m) and Matron Stakes (1600m).

Flying Mascot's victory in the Matron Stakes was Dabernig's first win as a sole trainer at Flemington and his tally now stands at three after Hasseltoff won twice at Headquarters, most recently on New Year's Day.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12