Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Trump Presidency cont.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 279280281282283 449>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 11:18am
You could knock me over with a feather.Shocked

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 11:22am
It might take 10 years or more to work out precisely how the Wuhan flu originated but it's 99.9% it did not start in a lab. Chinese eating wild animals, keeping wild animals in close proximity to domestic animals, then flying all over the world at $1.01. And if you can get on at $1.01 load up. On the other hand, since it will take years to collect, don't.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 11:34am
But the next pandemic could start in any of the other places where they bring wildlife into close proximity with domestic animals and people.

Simon Cameron

Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 11:43am
Lab or live animal either way originated in China.
Dirty country more ways than one.
Should have their scientific license canceled, just to be sure.
For an alleged civilized country to have such dirty food practices is deplorable.

How is covid going in that country anyway?
Honestly and truly, ,considering the western world covid problem is all over the MEDIA!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 11:50am
Believe it or not China is very authoritarian and they know how to lock down. Not a Gladys style ''whatever you feel like'' lockdown.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 12:05pm
Would have been welding of home quarantine doors if I was in charge.Wink I tell a lie - there would be no on-shore quarantine if I was in charge.

Simon Cameron

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 12:18pm
There were reports last year of China literally welding doors, Tlaz. Horrible if true, and it could well be.
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 12:41pm
Not just reports but vision.

When I last looked Australia is still a democratic western society, free world.
You should be living in Western Australia PT 'cause Mark Mcgowan is making  it a province of China.
You would be right at home.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Yes - sorry PT. Bit embarrassing WHO know coming out & almost accusing the Chinese of starting Covid in a lab - albeit on an accidental basis. Trump got shouted down for suggesting that if i remember rightly. Now....back to Izzy LOL 

It’s hilarious isn’t it 1x1 but we’ve see the hypocrisy oozing out of his every pound on his keyboard Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 11:04am

‘Off the Rails.’ How a Veteran Prosecutor Sees Bill Barr’s Legacy

Hatchet Man: How Bill Barr Broke the Prosecutor’s Code and Corrupted the Justice Department, Elie Honig

You don’t mince words here. In the introduction, you call Bill Barr “a liar” and “a political partisan with an extremist dystopian worldview.” At what point did you come to this conclusion?

I came to the conclusion gradually as Bill Barr went through his tenure and we started to see incidents—starting with the Mueller Report and then repeatedly over and over again throughout his tenure—where he was dishonest or worse with the American public. As to the part about having this dystopian worldview, that was something I only came to later when I was trying to piece together the question that so many people ask, which is, ‘Why would Bill Barr have taken this job in the first place?’ Bill Barr sees himself really as a culture warrior, as somebody whose ultimate mission was not so much to enforce the criminal laws of the United States fairly and impartially, but to impose his own extremist worldview where the only true way to govern societies is with religious belief at the forefront, and secularism is the root of all evil.

Time and time again, we saw things that scholars and practitioners like yourself called wrong if not outright unconstitutional. Why did nothing matter?

We as a country vest enormous powers in our prosecutors. The Attorney General holds the most powers of any prosecutor, and so much of our system depends on trusting in prosecutorial judgment and discretion and goodwill. I was taught from a very early age at DOJ that a good prosecutor can do the most good of virtually anyone in public service and a bad prosecutor can do a huge amount of harm. What consequences can there be for someone like Bill Barr? Ultimately history needs to be told and the record needs to be made.

People say, ‘Well, can he be prosecuted criminally?’ There’s a difference between committing a crime and abusing power. I would say the closest he came [to committing a crime] is making false statements to Congress in various points. [Barr has not been charged with making false statements to Congress.]

Speaking broadly here, I guess we all knew how political the work of the Office of Legal Counsel had been under Trump, but seeing it stacked up, I’m worried that these guys might not be the geniuses we’ve been led to believe.

When you learn about OLC in law school, you are taught these are the super geniuses who unravel in an impartial way the most complex and thorny issues of constitutional law. The reality is a bit different. And this predates the Trump Administration. There is a study that I cite in the book that shows that over time, OLC has become increasingly pliable to the President’s ideology and what they imagine the President would want. But I do think that under Trump and under Barr, OLC just went completely off the rails with the absolute-immunity opinion, which was later rejected by federal courts, including the Supreme Court. This notion that the President would be free to discard and tell others in the executive branch to discard any congressional subpoena for any reason? That cannot be the case. I also talk about how with the Ukraine context, how OLC came up with this tortured opinion that the whistleblower law applies to everybody but the President, somehow.

And I think Merrick Garland needs to do a couple of things. One, he just needs to convey to OLC that, ‘You’re here to do your job impartially. I do not want you trying to start with the bottom line of what you think I may want, or the President may want, and then back filling it in from there.’ They need to formally disavow the opinions that have been rejected by courts, because you don’t want them used by future generations for flimsy legal cover that can be used to drag out legal disputes.

Did Bill Barr know better? That’s the question I keep coming back to: Did he know better than what he gave the country?

He had to have known better. This is a smart man. This is a deeply experienced man. This is a man who was Attorney General once before. He appeared to be an institutionalist.

When he got in office this time, though, he really went off the rails. The audition memo that foreshadowed that he would fix the Mueller Report for Donald Trump. His intervention with Michael Flynn and the Roger Stone case, both of which were unprecedented. The way he writes to the public about the threat of election fraud. [Barr ultimately rejected Trump’s false claims of fraud in the 2020 election.] He did a 180, really, from the way he had handled the job previously.

I don’t know if that’s because he fell into the thrall of the whole Trump world, or if that’s because he saw this as his last best chance to preserve his power and to preserve his worldview. Bill Barr saw this all as his last shot to impose his will on the world. And he was willing to violate any number of principles and ideals in order to get there.

Talking about the Roger Stone case, this was the one time in the 80,000 cases that DOJ handles a year that the AG stepped in. Would a jury convict AG Barr for, say, misconduct on that circumstantial evidence?

I don’t think Barr committed a crime in intervening in the Stone case. The Attorney General technically has the right to ask for a lower sentence. It’s just outrageous that he did that. It’s an abuse of his power. And it’s a violation of DOJ norms that he did that.

https://time.com/6078167/elie-honig-bill-barr-hatchet-man/

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 11:28am
I note that Trump is $3.80 favourite on Betfair to be the Republican nominee for the 2024 Election. Seems a very short price considering the general commentary on TBV has been saying for ages he is going to get locked up. I must be stupid....... 
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 11:31am
Might be why he isn't $1.05 given his 75% support by Republicans at CPAC last week.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 11:38am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I note that Trump is $3.80 favourite on Betfair to be the Republican nominee for the 2024 Election. Seems a very short price considering the general commentary on TBV has been saying for ages he is going to get locked up. I must be stupid....... 
OK, let’s go with that.
It explains many thingsWink

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Might be why he isn't $1.05 given his 75% support by Republicans at CPAC last week.

Oh, here you are PT, since you dropped off that PC thread, I have wondered where you had gone .Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 11:48am
It was getting very cray-cray in there Bob.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 11:51am
PT, so you have been lurking, but not posting on that thread ? I knew you would be unable to keep away from it .Clap
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 11:53am
No, I haven't looked since my last post in there yesterday, and as that is the umpteenth thread on that subject and it is descending into the usual suspects saying the same intolerant stuff, I decided to not look again.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 12:26pm
For what's its worth Bob - & just to be clear - the "Usual Suspects" basket includes you, me (& Acacia) LOL
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 1:11pm
Like flies to a hot steamer.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 2:55pm
Can we hold you to that, PT? You'll leave that thread alone?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 2:56pm
If it appeals to you stayer, it holds no interest for me.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 2:58pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 3:21pm

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 3:24pm

How 'The Good Fight' Convinced Us to Take the Same Side as ... Donald Trump

We have talked about Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act a number of times on this site, mostly in the context of Donald Trump, who spent much of the latter part of his term trying to strike it down. For those who need a refresher, section 230 was added in the early days of the Internet, and that one section has largely allowed the Internet to become what it is … for better or worse. It allows those who run social media platforms or host message boards or comment sections to avoid legal liability for anything that its users say. For instance, as we discussed last week, our commenters can blaspheme Eddie Redmayne however they’d like — make up lies, or reveal the truth about his associations with the Dark Gods — and we as an entity are protected from defamation suits by Section 230.

https://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/how-the-good-fight-convinced-us-to-take-the-same-side-as-donald-trump.php

Simon Cameron

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 5:06pm

In January 2020 he told the New York Times: "I've never been a big Zuckerberg fan. I think he's a real problem."

What’s his problem with Zuck?
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 5:11pm
It means they probably hung out in the early 2000s
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:30pm
Poor ticket sales for the Trump/Bill O'Reilly pussy grabbing tour Shammy.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 12:26pm
Hey Shammy!

Here’s an interesting documentary for you to watch LOL

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Hey Shammy!

Here’s an interesting documentary for you to watch LOL

LOLLOLLOL

You’ve inspired me to search through the $5 bucket for this one at JB-HiFi. Thanks a lot Rusty!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 1:15pm
Idiocracy has had a huge resurgence since 2016.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 279280281282283 449>