Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Property Market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Property Market
    Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:28pm
Ever second day in the press I read of those suburbs in our capital cities that offer " the best opportunity to make money ". Most of the named suburbs are outer metropolitan suburbs, half of which I have never heard of, regardless, the annual rates of growth of up to 15%, seem impressive, however they are only on a very low base. A house in those suburbs might cost $400,000 and increase  by 10% to $440,000, giving a paper profit of $40,000, not bad.
BUT
Subject to my ability to buy in a more established suburb, I would rather buy a home for $ 1,000,000 and accept a growth rate of 7% to make a paper profit of $70,000.

The old saying in buying a home the three most important factors are "location, location, and location ", why do you suppose the high end town purchase in Point Piper or Toorak ? 

Another old saying is the rich get richer as the poor get poorer, despite paying more in taxes.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:38pm
Hope you’ve got someone else looking after your investments Bob!

That’s a terrible strategy.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:57pm
Rusty, the best property  investment you can make is your principal residence ( PR ) , you do not pay capital gains tax ( CGT) when you sell. If you buy six properties in an outer suburb for $400,000 for a total of $2,400,000, only one can be your PR therefore you will pay CGT on the other five when you sell , however if you buy one property for $2,400,000 in an established suburb as your PR you pay no CGT when you sell.

Rusty, I might add that is only property investment as one should spread their investments over other assets classes such as shares, etc.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 3:13pm
Cool story Bob but if you want to discuss this properly how about you include all the facts. Start with not being able to deduct any expenses on your PPR and that it earns $0 in income. 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 3:37pm
LOLOLOL ...     It earns it's value in the Rent you don't have to pay to occupy it.
It's capital gain will usually be far higher than any alternative.

Like Point Piper/Toorak will Gain twice any investment alternative .

Your doing well Bob , I'm sure your eating better than U know who.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 4:14pm
That’s only true if you’d actually be looking to rent a place at that price point. Which of course many wouldn’t. Nevertheless, all I said was that if you are going to try to compare the two options put forward then there is far more too it than the capital gain alone. 

As for point piper and the like, makes you wonder why The Wrecking Ball isn’t living it up there instead of being holed up in some dumpy block of flats in Albany Creek a million miles from civilisation. What a place to wind down the clock!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 4:49pm
Hahahaha i chose to be near family and live in luxury .     My Former Sydney Poperties are appreciating at many thousands per week .   You wouldn't be aware that houses on the Northern Peninsula of the North Shore have averaged well over $2000 per week Capital gain for the past 10 years.
   Sure sinks your reasoning .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 4:58pm
Yep you choose to live in the arse end of Brisbane (is it even Brisbane?). Cool story. Let Bob know if you’re looking to sell, you’d might be able to move into his 6th bathroom with proceeds.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 5:23pm
You do realise E&E .    Comes a time in life where Financial gain or term investing is of no use to you .      I realise you thrive in the Humidity of the tropical further North of Brisbane and your capital gain might be $100 a week.     Bob would be counting his weekly gains in thousands and I'll bet your advice is being ignored, with the humour it deserves.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 5:28pm
Wow ...   I almost forgot ,   I don't think your travelling real well on the punt either ...
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 6:32pm
BTW E&E , It is My Birthday tomorrow and OneOneSit's on Monday .     It would be a nice gesture by you to send us a drop of something that smells like Whisky .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

You do realise E&E .    Comes a time in life where Financial gain or term investing is of no use to you .      I realise you thrive in the Humidity of the tropical further North of Brisbane and your capital gain might be $100 a week.     Bob would be counting his weekly gains in thousands and I'll bet your advice is being ignored, with the humour it deserves.

This of course is more nonsense. The financial gain may be of no use to you but it certainly would be to your family. You know, the people who you apparently moved to be close to. Sorry to hear that they also live miles from civilisation. So once again your stories of “choosing” to live not too far from the dregs are appreciated for the laughs they bring. Do continue. 

Sorry old boy but I live in a suburb less than 7km from the city with another couple of properties in the next suburb. You can dream that I’m only making $100 a week if it helps your raging jealousy. Doesn’t bother me. A guy who’s winding down the clock on all day on the internet is someone to be pitied anyway so treat yourself to some imagined enjoyment.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:04pm
Macca, I always thought you were born under the star sign of Taurus, you are financially literate, BTW it was my birthday yesterday.
What with 1+1’s on Monday, your’s tomorrow and mine yesterday we might embarrass E&E and Rusty with our understanding of property finance.Wink

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:04pm
lol ...   And to think they closed the Psychiatric Institutions and allowed you to roam free ...      Have a good Mothers day though .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:05pm

Wow ...   I almost forgot ,   I don't think your travelling real well on the punt either ...

LOL More imagination. How about I post a YouTube video of my bet history arbing Ladbrokes for thousands last year? I’ll post it and you disappear for a year? If I can’t post it I’ll do the same. 

Deal?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Macca, I always thought you were born under the star sign of Taurus, you are financially literate, BTW it was my birthday yesterday.
What with 1+1’s on Monday, your’s tomorrow and mine yesterday we might embarrass E&E and Rusty with our understanding of property finance.Wink

Yep choosing investment by horoscope.......

I’m not at all surprised.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:10pm

lol ...   And to think they closed the Psychiatric Institutions and allowed you to roam free ...      Have a good Mothers day though .

It’s a shame that you can’t engage in any conversation without resorting to this type of abuse. I’ll just add this post to the list for next time you whine with imagines grievances about people doing the same to you. Smile
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:22pm
The asset bubble caused by super low interest rates looks like a fun party but what happens to all the average Joes with million dollar loans if interest rates go up, a lot? Can interest rates stay low forever?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:29pm
Inflation is a huge danger of causing rates to rise and the numbers in trouble would be huge ( as you say )   ... At the struggle street end ... The more valuable areas of RE are surging in value as I've never seen before and unlikely to stop , any time soon ... The worlds rich buy up our prime areas.,   
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Rusty, Ha,ha. Although I do not believe in horoscopes I think I might have been born under a lucky star sign. In my early twenties I recognised there was a once in a life time chance to take exploit the differential between the tote and the bookie's odds especially in those early days, before you were born, when betting on the tote I was able to get 6/1 about 5/2 shots or 25/1 about 10/1 shots on a daily basis. So I resigned from my job as an understudy to an actuary and took up professional punting. It set me up for life. Both a bit of initial good luck ( I  could have blown my $8,000 betting bank when first starting out )  and an understanding of probability did not go astray.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:21pm
You won't embarrass E&E Bob . My presence allows him to be near competitive with his debating Points .    At 88 and "done" . I'm about and even match for him and it saves his ego from radical deflation , in more competitive company. ......    In Racing Terms he is still in maiden events.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

LOL More imagination. How about I post a YouTube video of my bet history arbing Ladbrokes for thousands last year? I’ll post it and you disappear for a year? If I can’t post it I’ll do the same. 

Deal?

And we have radio silence. What a surprise! LOL

The poor guy knows he will be shown up so runs for the hills when the challenge is thrown out. Couldnt disappear fast enough! Classic! LOLLOL
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 9:35pm
I must say I don't have a clue what your talking about ..    But you may feel better Tomorrow when the family brings you the yearly gifts .....    
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 10:06pm

Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Rusty, Ha,ha. Although I do not believe in horoscopes I think I might have been born under a lucky star sign. In my early twenties I recognised there was a once in a life time chance to take exploit the differential between the tote and the bookie's odds especially in those early days, before you were born, when betting on the tote I was able to get 6/1 about 5/2 shots or 25/1 about 10/1 shots on a daily basis. So I resigned from my job as an understudy to an actuary and took up professional punting. It set me up for life. Both a bit of initial good luck ( I  could have blown my $8,000 betting bank when first starting out )  and an understanding of probability did not go astray.
Yeah, so you keep telling us.

Even your OP demonstrates you have less than a rudimentary understanding of calcs, and investments.

Reckon horoscopes might have been your best method....

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 10:35pm

I must say I don't have a clue.....    

Possibly the first thing you’ve got right in this thread.

Here, let me spell it out clearly for you. You posted this:

Of course this is just you lashing out again because you’re stuck on a hiding to nothing by so you desperately try to go off topic. But hey, I’ll humour you and play along. Let’s have a bet: Obviously I’m not posting anything from current accounts I’m using but I will post a video showing my bet history from last year on Ladbrokes, including a period of 3-4 months where I arbitraged one of their promotions for thousands. This account was in the black for around $8k last year before it was cut off. That should be more than enough to show how profitable I am. 

If I can’t post this video I’ll leave the forum for 1 year. Won’t post or even log in. I can even be suspended if that suits. 

If I do post the video and it shows exactly what I have just said you will do the same. No logging in for 12 months. 

1 year not long enough? We can make it 5 if you like. Or we can make the bet for any amount you to $5k to be held in escrow by the Mayor. 

How about it? 

What’s that I hear? Silence? What a surprise!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:27pm
Get real My friend ... I don't doubt anything you say,    I witnessed you on several occasions say This current Tipster was profitable over the years . All we lack there is the evidence.   ( Before the races were run )
      BUT someone said ' WHO cares " and that is so True .
Do you care ,   Neither do I ...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:35am
Didn’t think so.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:00pm
Is the current property first home buyer’s market akin to the game Pass The Parcel ?
With government incentives for first home buyers, minimal deposits, and low interest rates many first home buyers, who previously would no hope of buying a home, are clamouring to get their first home in outer suburban suburbs, with little to no existent infrastructure, for FOMO ?
Surely once interest rates get back to even 5 or 6 per cent, many of those first home buyers will not be able to service their loans, resulting in many forced sales. Unfortunately in a few years time many of those first home buyers will be left holding that parcel and will probably lose their homes, with their credit ratings downgraded and have little chance of ever owning a home.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 1:48pm
Keep away from anything under community Title , away from Sydney ,Melbourne . ( Strata- Villa / Townhouse ) has gained little or nothing in Brisbane and most other areas . they are a real trap .    The old Position position , still applies .
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 8:59pm

Inflation is a huge danger of causing rates to rise and the numbers in trouble would be huge ( as you say )   ... At the struggle street end ... The more valuable areas of RE are surging in value as I've never seen before and unlikely to stop , any time soon ... The worlds rich buy up our prime areas.,   
And there we go - Macca being a visionary again.

Lot of lost TBV talent right there Ouch
Refer ALP Election Promises
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>