Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Demise of Eastern Monday Race Days

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Demise of Eastern Monday Race Days
    Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 11:48am
I’ll probably have a couple of wagers today, but it is kind of sad to see such low grade racing on an Eastern Monday holiday. I suppose it’s gone the way of every other public holiday race day.

Sydney used to have a few G1’s at Randwick on an Eastern Monday - From memory the Sires Produce & Galaxy, maybe even the QE Stks on occasion. For 2018 we have an 8 race Rosehill meeting, with 3 maiden races!

Melbourne would muster up a strong card at Caulfield with the Easter Cup on Monday, after the Victoria Hcp 2 days earlier. In 2018 we’re at Sandown for 2 maidens and 6 BM60-70 events.

Oakbank is the most alarming decline. My most recent trip to Oakbank was only about 8 years ago and there would have been 50,000 on course on the Monday and that was after some 20,000 attended on Saturday. For 2018 there will be virtually no one there today and only 2 jumps races with fields of 7 in the hurdle and 5 in the steeple. In the 1990’s there were so many jumpers they had to split jumps races into divisions to accommodate entries.

Tasmania is also a sad case. Eastern Monday used to hold the Deloraine Cup & Tassie Grand National Steeplechase up until maybe 10 years ago. It attracted crowds of 5000+ every year and was a fantastic picturesque setting on the banks of the Meander River and the live hedge steeplechase fences were magnificent. But Tasmanian Racing authorities decide to close Deloraine racecourse and shift Easter Monday meet to Devonport. How many will attend today’s meet at the Devonport Synthetic track?

Racing in SA & Tassie are basket cases. But they did have 2 unique feature race meetings in Oakbank & Deloraine that brought in big crowds. How has it all gone downhill so fast?

I know it’s a sign of the times and the general public don’t support racing like they did 10 or 20 years ago. But still makes me sad to see our sport attracting fewer & fewer people to the race day experience. In the longer term there will be fewer & fewer ‘rusted on’ racing fans in the future.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:24pm
I think you’ll find Oakbank will have a good crowd. Plenty of Saturday’s visitors have been camping here all weekend
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 12:43pm
You have painted a sad picture Lord Hybrow and unfortunately your post does much to reflect the way it is today in racing, twitter will give you an insight into the mindset of people today, a lack of integrity doesn't help and I feel the wrong people have at times been thrust into positions where their knowledge and vision has lacked what should a priority, there are other reasons but I won't go on, somehow I'm still the optimistic fwiw.
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 4:46pm
Wasn't the Doncaster run on the Monday at one point? I was looking at the fields and stakes for Rosehill today and thinking what's the point... I mean for a public holiday you'd think they'd make some effort to put some nice races on but they've just given up.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 4:57pm
Certainly in the 70's the Sydney Cup and the Sires were run on the Monday.

There is simply no interest from the average racegoer for public holiday racing any more.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 5:00pm
Not in my time that I recall jacko , always has been Doncaster on Sat, Sydney Cup Mon.
same with Epsom Handicap on Sat. Metrop.on Mon. may have been a venue change for track Reno.
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Not in my time that I recall jacko , always has been Doncaster on Sat, Sydney Cup Mon.
same with Epsom Handicap on Sat. Metrop.on Mon. may have been a venue change for track Reno.

Saw this on wikipedia "Although the race has traditionally been held on Easter Monday, the race is now run on the first day of the ATC Championships Carnival at Royal Randwick." I'm pretty sure a few editions in the early 2000's were run on a Monday.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

There is simply no interest from the average racegoer for public holiday racing any more.

I can understand where your coming from , the average public holiday has lost its appeal with racing, live racing to TVs, corp. betting , live football have taken away the fan, but the two most important holiday races the Metrop. and Sydney Cup had switched to saturdays after their programmes were rearranged, they should switch back to mondays and build around these races and make them attractive again imo.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by jacko1 jacko1 wrote:

Saw this on wikipedia "Although the race has traditionally been held on Easter Monday, the race is now run on the first day of the ATC Championships Carnival at Royal Randwick." I'm pretty sure a few editions in the early 2000's were run on a Monday.

Go back to Wikipedia again mate and scroll down past the winners to References, read the result on the 2015 Doncaster , you will see it was switched to Monday because the track was considered too heavy to race on Saturday, read the other refs if you like , all sat. been going to the races since /57 always has been sat for me.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:13pm

I can understand where your coming from , the average public holiday has lost its appeal with racing, live racing to TVs, corp. betting , live football have taken away the fan, but the two most important holiday races the Metrop. and Sydney Cup had switched to saturdays after their programmes were rearranged, they should switch back to mondays and build around these races and make them attractive again imo.

It is not just Sydney. Australian Cup used to be on the holiday Monday in March, Caulfield situation at Easter etc. Queensland and WA are not even racing in the metro area on holidays.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:22pm

It is not just Sydney. Australian Cup used to be on the holiday Monday in March, Caulfield situation at Easter etc. Queensland and WA are not even racing in the metro area on holidays.

Yes a bit selfish of me thinking of Sydney only, your right even Perth , Boxing Day was huge with top races, now from memory it's Pinjarra,
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:38pm

Go back to Wikipedia again mate and scroll down past the winners to References, read the result on the 2015 Doncaster , you will see it was switched to Monday because the track was considered too heavy to race on Saturday, read the other refs if you like , all sat. been going to the races since /57 always has been sat for me.

I meant the early 2000's, 2004-2007 were all on a Monday.
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:56pm
Brisbane cup use to be on June long weekend? Straddy Sat, cup Monday..

Prob won't be long until we have racetracks built for just racing, no public amenities
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 7:28pm

I meant the early 2000's, 2004-2007 were all on a Monday.

Yeah seen that , went to have a look but spin spin and more spin haha.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:51am
When I did the update of Wikipedia for and provided all the references from Breednet it hit me how in particular the AJC Carnival used to be centered around the Easter Holiday. It was the place to be!

If you go back to the early renditions of the Doncaster Handicap, Sydney Cup, All-Aged Stakes (when 2YOs would front up and win) and Sires Produce Stakes these event were highlights then - on the Easter Weekend.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 11:04am
It think the changes in programming revolves around the floating date of Easter, the change of the date of the Golden Slipper to fixed rather than floating with Easter,  along with the merging of the AJC and STC into the  ATC and the better(?) coordinating of carnivals around the Championships. It leaves Easter without major races unless it happens to fall through mid to late April 
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 3:09pm

Used to go on upto Sydney for the races long time ago and it was something like that .... not sure they race up there anymore  LOL

Remember going up to see Our Sophia run in the Sydney Cup ... got 2nd to some wanky little horse and saw the big mile race and Bart won a distance race with Beau Zam l think ... very good because it started fave in the Melb. Cup a little later ... which made amends Wink

It was/used to be a good weekend dead Sunday in Sydney if you ask me but that was okay for a rest and quiet sight seeing .... was like going back in time Smile
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 12:48pm
Not just easter Monday Lord, but new years day and boxing day.

Complete dogs breakfast, but what else is new!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
 Post Reply Post Reply