Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Albanese Government

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 282>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Don't you just love the way Anthony bangs on about supporting wage growth in-line with inflation - yet says nothing about self-funded retirees copping about third of that amount from the financial institutions on their hard earned savings.

Meanwhile the CBA just announces an 11% increase in their profits - to around 9.5 billion dollars (that's right - billion). Its been put down to tight "Operational Control"". Is that slang for ripping off their loyal customers ? Just as well they didn't have to face a once in a 100 year global pandemic, or a gelati load of floods to make things difficult........oh wait......

And the normal result pitch was in-place to minimise the pleb's whingeing. That being that their were "headwinds" just around the corner. Think i heard similar last announcement , & the one before that.

No comment from Anthony that I heard
Hahaha,
You want to pot him for high interest rates killing homeowners.
And pot him because retirees aren’t paid enough interest…..

If you been paying attention, you would have noted that CBA’s interest margin was lower this year.
So not ripping off customers.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 10:41pm
Spare me old mate, lets be honest, the big 4 banks make multi-billion dollar profits for simply moving numbers around.

They talk about their "product" which is just different ways of moving money from one place to another while skimming some off the top.

It's not good for the common people that banking is run as a business rather than a service but the big 4 are now so powerful that no Labor government will ever be able to reign them in and no Liberal government will ever have the inclination to do so.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 3:09am
It’s the way of the world unfortunately.

There’s plenty wrong with Banks.
But, their margins are currently at the lower end of the scale.

If people understood how foreign currency rates were calculated they’d be outraged.

Compared to the USA , our Banks, banking act is much more consumer friendly.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 10:24am
I don't think there is anything about the US society that we could bring over here to imrove our lot, so it is no surprise that their banks are also less consumer friendly than ours.

I'm of the viewpoint that area's like education, health and banking should be treated as a service not a business.  As a society we should be able to ensure that all our members have equal access to health and education services, as a society we will grow if all have equal opportunity.  Banking I just see as an industry that skims from the top of other people doing actual work, ok we need to keep our finances somewhere and people also need financial backing at times but surely we don't need banks turning these massive profits for basically shuffling numbers around?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 11:10am
Yeah true, about modelling most things on how USA does it.

As much as I don’t want to defend Banks.

Clipping the ticket, is pretty much how many businesses in many industries operate.

If they were making record profits off record high margins, then I’d agree it was unfair practice.
But their margins have actually reduced, and the increased profit is really due to working smarter.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 11:10am
Look at that - just goes to show how 2 blokes with totally opposite views can have a cordial discussion on a topic

Congrats Afros & Rusty - TBV role models Thumbs Up
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 11:28am
To be fair we have to give Dim Jim full marks for preparation & getting the most out of his limited ability.
He has already re photo copied the presser he has used at the past 4 rate increase rate responses as its starting to look a touch "tatty".

He's even highlighted in Doc red "still doesn't make it any easier for those impacted by it".

The long face that goes with it is also impressive. 

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 11:35am
And with Anthony due back any day now from his well earned holiday we can expect the big activities to start cranking up.

Uluru Statement from the Heart, reviewing Climate Change technologies & Women's Issues are the biggies. Watch this space
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Look at that - just goes to show how 2 blokes with totally opposite views can have a cordial discussion on a topic

Congrats Afros & Rusty - TBV role models Thumbs Up

It comes down to respect, Rusty respects why I hold my opinion, while in this instance I respect he has greater knowledge of the overall picture than I.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Clipping the ticket, is pretty much how many businesses in many industries operate.

If they were making record profits off record high margins, then I’d agree it was unfair practice.
But their margins have actually reduced, and the increased profit is really due to working smarter.

Do you worry for the long term viability of our economy? Given majority of our largest companies are largely either banks, telecommunications (Telstra), digging stuff out of the ground or selling us food and other items (Woolies and Coles groups)
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 2:33pm
I do Afros.  The world is changing again and we are very isolated and sold everything overseas.  Need to remember the rest of the world will look after itself first and foremost and start thinking of a manufacturing base for more things in Australia.

But I can't talk.  I've sat and typed my whole career and haven't produced anything only reported it or loaded it into data banks.  There are minor industries here but I still remember when bonds went to China and closed it's Lithgow factory.  For some reason there product got dearer not cheaper so don't know how that worked for them.  Also the items available in shops have become very throw away.  Material is cheap and pretty good at ripping.  Electrical items break down after a year or two if your lucky.  Somehow I can't see this helping the land fill any.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Do you worry for the long term viability of our economy? Given majority of our largest companies are largely either banks, telecommunications (Telstra), digging stuff out of the ground or selling us food and other items (Woolies and Coles groups)
More our society than the economy.
The companies that are most profitable (excluding banks) are pretty much parasites, demanding gov subsidies and pay f all tax.
Just being a hole in the ground, won’t see us outperform other countries that add value to our cheap resources.
As an aside Norway pretty much earns as much royalties in one year, as we’ve received in total.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 6:18pm
All this tyme I've been blaming this site for the damm Yankeee spell-check but it's my browser - D'OH!
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 6:54pm
Well it was a fair enough assumption Tlaz. We blame everything else on the yanks in here
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 7:21pm
Goddamn yanks messed up my menulog order last week!
Time is a flat circle
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 7:25pm
Furious this idea of bringing manufacturing back on-shore is a nice sentiment - just wont happen. 

Let me give you an example with the game I'm now in - importing artificial grass. We only had another  Chinese manufacturer visit us on Friday to get some business. Got the promotional video / new variants blah, blah. There are over 300 Artificial Grass manufacturers in China. This company had  300 office staff alone (is one of the bigger ones). They control 95% of the worlds market. Australia has 2 manufacturers - who both now supplement their products with Chinese imports in order to compete on price with importers like us. When i say they manufacture - they import all the components - the backing / the plastic blades / the stitching in bulk from China - & assemble it on machines purchased from China. They sell it at a premium as Australian made grass - emphasizing suitability to local conditions, All cobblers of course. A typical Austrian made grass is manufactured at approx $16/m2 at the gate. A Chinese equivalent $10 (assuming approx. current exchange rates). Cost per m2 to get it from the Chinese factory into our warehouse is approx. $2 to $2.5 / m2. So we can receive the same product 25% cheaper. Bunning type operators are probably more like 40 to 50% cheaper than locally made equivalents (assuming anyone even bothers doing it) for all the products they import.

Can you imagine everything in Bunnings going up 40 to 50% overnight ?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 7:30pm
The economies of scales - combined with their labour cost & general efficiencies - are literally on another level. They are very good at what they do. This is what annoys me with all this crap about leading the world in Climate Technology. We are at best ever going to be a bit-player.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 7:47pm
This was classic. I told these folk one of our major concerns as a business was the possible tightening of use parameters by regulators - in particular green Councils - arguing environmental concerns - you know, plastic grass. In particular school yards & kindergartens /pre-schools where artificial grass application has sky rocketed. I asked them what their thoughts were. They were shell shocked  by the question. They went onto confirm that rapid increase in markets all around the world were being driven by Environmental advantages of using Artificial Grass - esp decreased water usage & the need not to use "nasty" fertilisers LOL

Not everyone see's things the same !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 8:18pm
And further to the example above. The Artificial Grass landed into Bunnings warehouse from China would be approx $10/m2 (few dollars cheaper than us based on their volume). They sell it for $50 incl GST per m2. (we sell ours for approx $22 incl GST ).
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 8:20pm
p.s we are primarily selling large single order quantities to the trade though - not mum & dad DYI Bunnings types.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:05am
Probably time to get this thread fired up again. Likely to be well used going forward.

I'll start by giving the ALP a bit of a wrap. They are half way there to meet one of their major election promises - more Affordable Housing. Yep - in a few months housing prices have plummeted at least 10% all around the country - with ANOTHER 10 to 15% drop being forecast by end next year. Not a bad effort - fastest drop ever. Great outcome 

Bit more work on the other side required though. The rampant inflation has resulted in banks severely reducing loan amounts as the increased interest rates bite on repayments

So until we sort out that side we have only all lost value in our houses & they are still as unaffordable as ever. The big winners are the drug importers with a gelatiload of cash under their beds.

But at least we are on our way.

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:07am
I thought like US, inflation has stalled and maybe peaked.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:08am
The promised savings on electricity, petrol & food should help when they come - along with the extra wages that are now worth less than they were 2 months ago Thumbs Up
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

I thought like US, inflation has stalled and maybe peaked.
I think it will be shown you "thought"" wrong. You said similar a month back. I'd call that wishful thinking 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:10am
The Reserve Bank says wages are lifting.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:12am
Any way our differences don't matter. We are back on the correct thread talking about Anthony's task ahead
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:13am
You need to be a bit more patient oneone. You cant fix a decade's neglect, corruption, incompetence, abuse and economic destruction in a few weeks. A Trillion is a really big number you know.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

The Reserve Bank says wages are lifting.
Of course they are lifting - the problem for everyone is they are only increasing at half that of inflation. 

But you know that PT
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:16am
What happens to the wage gap when inflation peaks and returns to the 2-3% band? Will you be calling for wage drops?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2022 at 10:37am
Not unlike increasing our migrant intake to fill the jobs demand. What happens when unemployment goes back to normal levels ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 282>