Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

TAGALOA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TAGALOA
    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:24pm

Yulong buys into Blue Diamond Stakes winner

Victorian stud Yulong has continued its big-spending week when securing a controlling stake in Blue Diamond Stakes winner Tagaloa.

Yulong secured a share of CF Orr Stakes winner Alabama Express earlier in the week before beating out strong competition from Hunter Valley studs for a large stake in Tagaloa.

The Trent Busuttin and Natalie Young-trained Tagaloa endured a tough trip before winning the Blue Diamond Stakes and will tackle next Saturday’s Todman Stakes in Sydney before a likely start in the Golden Slipper.

Yulong Investments chief executive Sam Fairgray said the transaction continued a good week for the Nagambie-based operation.

“Getting Alabama Express was fantastic, a Group I-winning son of Redoute’s Choice, and Tagaloa a Blue Diamond winner with a great outcross pedigree for Danehill-line mares,” Fairgray said.

“He’s got a good European family so he’s well-suited.”

Fairgray suggested Tagaloa might not be the last acquisition for Yulong in the coming months.

“We’ve built a stallion facility and that can hold 14 stallions,” Fairgray said.

Grunt was our first horse last year and we’re just going about trying to fill the boxes.”

It is understood Yulong beat off competition from the likes of Widden Stud and Newgate Farm to stand the son of champion Japanese sprinter Lord Kanaloa.

Fairgray said Yulong had been in contact with Tagaloa’s ownership group, which includes prominent Melbourne owners Ozzie Kheir and John O’Neill, who also own horses such as Melbourne Cup placegetter Marmelo.

“He’ll continue to race in Ossie Kheir’s colours until at least the Slipper,” Fairgray said.

“We made an approach to Ossie in December and he said he didn’t want to do anything until the Blue Diamond and I think it was one of the things that got us in the running, that we had made an early approach.

“We had our eye on him for a long time and when he won the Blue Diamond, we really went after him.”

Tagaloa is a $9 third pick in Sportsbet’s latest Golden Slipper market.

Ooops!! Thanks djebel Thumbs Up

Edited by Gay3 - 01 Mar 2020 at 7:48pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 10:17pm
Just over 10% of the mares Grunt covered where Northern Hemisphere bred mares so that is a good start for him.

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 4:02pm
020 Blue Diamond Stakes winner Tagaloa has been retired and is set to stand at Yulong Stud this season.

Connections made the decision following the three-year-olds ninth-placed finish in Saturday's Group 1 All Aged Stakes at Randwick.

While a fee is yet to be officially announced, Yulong's Sam Fairgray said it is likely the son of Lord Kanaloa will stand for about $30,000.

"After winning the Blue Diamond, he cemented himself as a stallion. He has done a great job and we will now let him let down and get him ready for the breeding season," Fairgray said.

"He will likely be around $30,000. I think he will be very popular at that (price).

"Lord Kanaloa is a very good stallion, he is an outcross for all the Danehill line mares, so I think it's one of the other great things about him. All these Danehill, Redoute's Choice, Fastnet Rocks, Snitzel, Not A Single Doubt, can go to him.

"He has got a nice female family behind him as well. We are really excited to get him to stud."

Fairgray said Tagaloa will be well supported by Yulong's strong selection of broodmares.

"We will be able to support him with them and give him a great start at stud," he said.

"He will get a lot of our really nice mares and have every opportunity from those mares.

"Because he is such a good-looking individual as well, I think a lot of breeders will want to support him."

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 4:33pm

Ouch
reductio ad absurdum
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 4:55pm
People will pay it....I certainly wouldnt 
 Post Reply Post Reply