Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Surprise Baby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:10am
Nothing stopping the handicapper giving him a weight that virtually guarantees a run.
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Nothing stopping the handicapper giving him a weight that virtually guarantees a run.

Question is - will the handicapper give him weight that guarantees him a start and does Surprise Baby deserve it? The weight that is
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 2:32pm
The handicapper does not give out favours
This space has been intentionally left blank
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

The handicapper does not give out favours
Agree, but thankfully Greg Carpenter has common sense & im happy to support his judgement 100%. Has not put a foot wrong in regards to Cup weights/penalties thus far imho. Loved his rule of not imposing a further penalty above 56kgs for horses winning the CC. Not all agreed but I did....
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 6:54pm
You'd think the Adelaide Cup win at 3200 metres would be enough to get a start in the Cup but it pronably won't.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
goyougoodthing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goyougoodthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:27pm
They certainly won’t flog him to get a Cup start.
That’s obviously the aim but if things don’t go to plan they’ll wait until next year rather than compromise the horse. Still young and very lightly raced.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:49pm
Hopefully Plan A comes off for them & he can win the Bart Cummings Stks.

I’ve never seen the horse in the flesh. Is he a robust enough type to be able to cope with Plan B of Hotham Hcp & assuming he wins, run in the Cup 3 days later?

If he isn’t then djebel is right. Don’t flog him to get in. Focus on a QE Stks &/or Sandown Classic - wins in either of which would put him in a good place for 2020.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:07am
Have put him in a couple of cups multis. Very impressed with saturdays run.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 1:45pm
reductio ad absurdum
Slammington View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:05pm
52.5kg is perhaps slightly more than expected? With that weight another option might be to try and get a penalty as I think on recent runnings 54kg would likely get a start.

Maybe a short at the stumps at the Bart Cummings failing which a run in the MV Cup to try and win and get a 1.5kg penalty to get into the Cup with much better spacing than running in the Lexus. That is usually a comparatively weak race and he went well at the Valley on Sat.

There is a precedent with Precedence I think being given a penalty of that size for winning the MV Cup though cynics suggested this was far too high and only done to ensure the profile of having a Bart runner. I am not sure what penalties have been given to other MV Cup winners. But I think Carpenter would be generous with penalties to get this guy into the race and fly the flag for the locals
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Slammington Slammington wrote:

52.5kg is perhaps slightly more than expected? With that weight another option might be to try and get a penalty as I think on recent runnings 54kg would likely get a start.

Maybe a short at the stumps at the Bart Cummings failing which a run in the MV Cup to try and win and get a 1.5kg penalty to get into the Cup with much better spacing than running in the Lexus. That is usually a comparatively weak race and he went well at the Valley on Sat.

There is a precedent with Precedence I think being given a penalty of that size for winning the MV Cup though cynics suggested this was far too high and only done to ensure the profile of having a Bart runner. I am not sure what penalties have been given to other MV Cup winners. But I think Carpenter would be generous with penalties to get this guy into the race and fly the flag for the locals

This is where I miss the MacKinnon Stakes in its old timeslot on Derby Day...stayers could win the race and get an automatic run in the Cup and as the race was WFA - no weight penalty could be given.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:04pm
Looks a treat today
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:10pm
I have a fear Sky that track will mean he misses the Cup.

This race may not be the Blue Diamond but this is Jordan Childs most important race ride of his career, so far!

No pressure at all.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:16pm
Off to the big dance Baby
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:21pm
Two bets:

1st bet in May: 81-1

2nd bet in July: 26-1

So glad. Now he needs to win
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:23pm
Hardly a stellar field, but a great win despite the bias.At least Oz has got one horse in the big one, even if he was foaled in NZ.

Just hope the usual suspects don't come out of their caves and sully the waters re the trainer.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:24pm
He’s by the right stallion for that anyway
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:33pm
Now the big question is....will Greg Carpenter give him a weight penalty for the Melbourne Cup? If yes then how much?

Surprise Baby currently has 52.5kg in the Cup?
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:37pm
2kg
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

2kg

Really that much??
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:42pm
1kg tops surely?
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:44pm
Almandin won by the same margin (1.5 lengths) in the 2016 Bart Cummings (55kg) and did not receive a weight penalty for the Melbourne Cup..So he stayed on 52kg
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:32pm
Now favourite for the Cup... interesting. 
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Hardly a stellar field, but a great win despite the bias.At least Oz has got one horse in the big one, even if he was foaled in NZ.

Just hope the usual suspects don't come out of their caves and sully the waters re the trainer.

Why?. What has the trainer done?
cotto1 View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:54pm
Hi there guys:
Very interesting indeed- do you think he deserves to be favourite for the cup in your guys eyes?.

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:15pm
He is the favorite along with Finche from those here in Australia.

To be honest, I think they are the two best local cup chances, since Alamndin ( obviously locally trained).

Finche has that WFA quality similar to Firoente.

Surprise Baby has the Who shot thebarman, and Singoff, Big Duke staying ability, but I think he is a more talented horse than those three, who all finished top four.

He has carried 57 today, 59 in the Feehan which was every bit as good a run as Fiorente was the year he won the cup, and he ran a cracking race with 58 in the Andrew Ramsden at 3200m. He drops to 52.5 kilos in the cup, he loves the track, and he is a horse who will love a fast run 3200m.

Personally I would have Finche in front of him, and Marmelo there as well, but he is in the mix, however I would say that he has had some good money on him already, and they are protecting their liability.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

He is the favorite along with Finche from those here in Australia.

To be honest, I think they are the two best local cup chances, since Alamndin ( obviously locally trained).

Finche has that WFA quality similar to Firoente.

Surprise Baby has the Who shot thebarman, and Singoff, Big Duke staying ability, but I think he is a more talented horse than those three, who all finished top four.

He has carried 57 today, 59 in the Feehan which was every bit as good a run as Fiorente was the year he won the cup, and he ran a cracking race with 58 in the Andrew Ramsden at 3200m. He drops to 52.5 kilos in the cup, he loves the track, and he is a horse who will love a fast run 3200m.

Personally I would have Finche in front of him, and Marmelo there as well, but he is in the mix, however I would say that he has had some good money on him already, and they are protecting their liability.

Will be interesting if Surprise Baby gets a weight penalty for the Cup after his Bart Cummings win.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:28pm
I think S Baby is one of those special once a generation horses.
don't under estimate Finche.  I don't think he was meant to win yesterday. Also appeared to be on the wrong leg all the way down the straight
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 11:01am
SB has received a 1kg penalty for the Melb Cup - now 53.5kgs
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 11:27am
So that probably means D Holland will ride instead of Childs. Unless Jordy doesn’t eat for the next month
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>