Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Surprise Baby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surprise Baby
    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 4:52pm
Massive effort at start 6.
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

Massive effort at start 6.

Its in the blood.... Bred by Shocking
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 4:57pm
Blessing in disguise the incident at Moonee Valley last weekend.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 5:01pm
2009 Melbourne Cup winner Shocking sires the 2019 Adelaide Cup winner Surprise Baby and won the Cup at its 6th career start. Brilliant.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 5:02pm
I know she didn’t beat much but what a great effort. 2000m up to 3200m at only her 6th start.
I gather some Aussie trainers can train stayers
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 5:05pm
Mods please merge . Worth noting Schabau toyed with those placegetters last start, so not sure about the form, but the only way is up you’d think. Hopefully we might be seeing the emergence of an Aussie stayer. Will they head yo Sydney with him now? Give us a better line on where he’s at.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 5:48pm
Shocking's Stakes Winners - In Year Order

Fanatic: Group 1 New Zealand Oaks (2400m)

Chocante: Group 2 Counties Cup (2100m)

The Hassler: Group 2 Championship Stakes (2100m)

Chocante: Group 2 Brisbane Cup (2400m)

Shocking Luck: Group 3 Rough Habit Plate (2000m)

Fanatic: Listed Sandown Cup (3200m)

Pure Pride: Listed Paris Lane Handicap (1400m)

Formidable: Listed Salver Stakes (2100m)

Fanatic: Group 2 Adelaide Cup (3200m)

Surprise Baby: Group 2 Adelaide Cup (3200m)
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 5:56pm
Can someone please post his pedigree page?

Curious as to what is on the dams side
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 6:04pm
Here’s a link to a sale catalog for the Dam. Gees, it’s not a staying family so shocking has really stepped up

https://nzb.co.nz/sales/pedigree.cfm?sale_id=203&lot=1095

Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 12:09am
They are talking Melbourne Cup with this horse. Has to make a huge amount of improvement but possible given his lack of experience. At least you know he runs the trip. The Andrew Ramsden in May may be his immediate target as the winner gets into the MC.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:33am
Potentially going to freshen up for the Ballot exempt Ramsden stakes in May
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

I know she didn’t beat much but what a great effort. 2000m up to 3200m at only her 6th start.

Does this trainer have a record ?
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 10:30am
The White Album or Atlantic Crossing?
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Does this trainer have a record ?

If you’re not jigging, you’re not trying
to the victor
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 10:48am
Great story about this horse from Breednet

The Paul Preusker-trained Surprise Baby first saw a racetrack last October and five starts later the four-year-old gelding made a one-act affair of Monday's $400,000 Group II Adelaide Cup (3200m) to credit Rich Hill Stud's 2009 Melbourne Cup hero Shocking with the second consecutive winner of the race.

Smashed in the betting ring from $15 to start at $5, Surprise Baby was given a gun ride by Dean Holland who had him settled back midfield, one off the fence, as Fabrizio led the field through sedate sectionals.

Approaching the 600 metres, Georgina Cartwright set the race alight when she circled the field on Exalted Lightning who had a handy break turning for home.

By then Holland had Surprise Baby in clean air and he relished every bit of the 3200 metres, putting a space on his opponents and allowing Holland to sit up and pose for the photo.

Top of the Range (Savabeel) came closest at a safe one and three-quarter lengths with Chris Waller's import Naval Warfare (IRE) (Born To Sea) back in third.

It was the second win in the Adelaide Cup for Holland after Tanby in 2015.

"He (Preusker) is one of the best trainers in the country and I can't thank the Preusker family enough for support," Holland said.

"This horse is still so young and still learning but from the 800m he was never going to get beat.

"Paul said dig your hands on his neck and let him settle, when he switches off, he will just let go and he's a good judge.

"He's a horse that has been difficult along the way, he's had a few good preps underneath him and he was probably ready to run over 2000when he won first-up at Horsham (over 1200m).

"I love this horse he's got a sharp turn of foot, he's very tough and I thought we might like to try and qualify his for the (Melbourne) Cup early."

Advancing his record to 4 wins from 6 starts with earnings of $325,835, Surprise Baby (photo Gavelhouse ) went through the sales twice and could not find a buyer either time.

He went through the 2016 NZB Select Yearling Sale where he failed to make his modest $20,000 reserve and again at the 2016 Ready To Run Sale of 2YOs where could not find a buyer willing to shell out $35,000 before being purchased on Gavelhouse.com for just $5,500 by his owner John Fiteni as an unraced 3-year-old gelding.

This was how he was described on Gavelhouse.

'This lovely and strong athletic gelding has been given the time to mature into a nice staying horse. A good walking type, he's sound and correct, 16.2hh, with plenty of scope. Your inspection at Rich Hill Stud is welcome.

He's has had a couple of preps, has spelled for the last two months, and is now ready to go back into work in preparation to begin his racing career in the new year.

His dam Bula Baby is a two-time race winner by star broodmare sire Kaapstad. Second dam Miss Tessla is a nine-time race winner. A wonderful racemare, her stakes victories include the Gr.2 Sedgwick Classic Stakes, and the Listed VRC Matron Stakes, in addition she was also eight-times placed in Group races.

Bula Baby has a 2yo filly by Proisir who was sold for just $1000 at the NZB Karaka May Sale, and a yearling colt by Super Easy.

Surprise Baby becomes the eighth stakes-winner for Rich Hill Stud's Shocking who sired the 2018 Adelaide Cup winner Fanatic.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

"Paul said dig your hands on his neck and let him settle, when he switches off, he will just let go and he's a good judge.

Interesting.....

I think the best thing to happen to the horse was being scratched from that 3000m race at the Valley a week or so earlier.

reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 3:46pm
Saw on Twitter Surprise Baby will be aimed at the Andrew Ramadan Stakes. The new version of the Andrew Ramadan Stakes:

Traditionally the Listed Andrew Ramadan Stakes was a 3200m race held under handicap conditions for 3 year olds and over held at Flemington. The registered name of the race is the Duke of Norfolk Stakes however, in 2005 the name was changed to the Andrew Ramadan Stakes in honour of former VRC Chairman, Andrew Ramsden. In late 2018 the VRC and Racing Victoria announced that the race would have several changes made to it including:

1. A prize money increase from $200,000 to $400,000

2. The distance would be reduced from 3200m to 2800m.

3. The weight conditions would be changed from a handicap to weight for age conditions.

4. The biggest incentive - the winner of the race would be guranteed a start in the Melbourne Cup, thus making the new version of the Andrew Ramsden Stakes a Melbourne Cup excemption race.

5. Race will be restricted to 3, 4 and 5 year-olds only.

6. Race still to be run at Flemington.

7. New version of the race to be run on Saturday, 25th of May 2019.

8. Race still to be a Listed (stakes) event.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 3:52pm
Why did they change the name of the race?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 6:10pm
Falls straight into the lap of Macedon Lodge imo.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 5:54pm

Preusker's Baby back on track

James Tzaferis

Paul Preusker is often left scratching his head after watching Surprise Baby gallop at trackwork.

Despite his predilection for a staying trip, the Adelaide Cup winner regularly holds his own against several of the stable's better speedsters, including Wangoom winner I Am Someone and Indian Thunder in recent weeks.

It's why, despite admitting it's a tune-up for the coveted Andrew Ramsden Stakes (2800m) later this month, Preusker believes the four-year-old can continue his meteoric rise in Saturday's Brew Handicap (2600m) at Flemington, in what is his first appearance since his famous Group 2 win at Morphettville in March.

On that day, in what was only his sixth career start, the son of Shocking easily accounted for his more-seasoned rivals in the two-mile contest, prompting several good judges to talk up his Melbourne Cup prospects.

"It's a stepping stone to the Andrew Ramsden Stakes so he'll improve but in saying that, he's nice and forward so I'm expecting a good run," Preusker said.

"He's probably only five or six kilograms off his fighting weight.

"He's an unusual horse but he's a very gifted horse and I shake my head sometimes, I've never had a stayer like him with his turn of foot.

"A fortnight ago he was the sparring partner for I Am Someone and went with him and this week he did it again with Indian Thunder."

Surprise Baby ($6.50) will lump the 60kg for Dean Holland and will meet an in-form and hard-fit Steel Prince ($1.95), who is unbeaten in three starts this campaign, including a dominant four-length victory in similar class last start.

Stephen Marsh's Kiwi raider Felaar adds another dimension to the race and crosses the Tasman after victory in the Listed Hawkes Bay Cup over 2200m.

Preusker also gave a solid push for last-start Terang winner Indian Thunder ($10), who lines up in Saturday's Efficient Handicap (1200m).

"He just keeps coming on," he said.

"A tough 1200m is really what he wants so I think the straight will suit him."

reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 5:55pm
SURPRISE BABY (NZ)Bay or brown gelding 2014 
Shocking
Bay 2005
Street Cry
Bay or brown 1998
Machiavellian
Bay or brown 1987
Mr Prospector
Bay 1970
Raise a Native
Gold Digger
8-f
13-c
Coup de Folie
Bay 1982
Halo
Raise the Standard
2-d
2-d
Helen Street
Bay 1982
Troy
Bay 1976
Petingo
La Milo
22>
1-b
Waterway
Chestnut 1976
Riverman
Boulevard
10-a
1-l
Maria di Castiglia
Bay 1994
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Macrina Pompea
Chestnut 1985
Don Roberto
Chestnut 1977
Roberto
Exit Smiling
12-c
1-s
Morbella
Bay 1977
Silly Season
Right Bank
1-g
2-o
Bula Baby
Black 2002
Kaapstad
Bay or brown 1984
Sir Tristram
Bay 1971
Sir Ivor
Bay 1965
Sir Gaylord
Attica
2-s
8-g
Isolt
Bay 1961
Round Table
All My Eye
2-f
6-e
Eight Carat
Brown 1975
Pieces of Eight
Brown 1963
Relic
Baby Doll
8-f
3-o
Klairessa
Bay or brown 1969
Klairon
Courtessa
1-w
9-c
Miss Tessla
Brown 1992
Crested Wave
Bay or brown 1976
Crozier
Bay 1958
My Babu
Miss Olympia
1-w
23-b
Fading Wave
Bay or brown 1964
Quibu
Fading Sky
11-b
20-c
Alice Downs
Chestnut 1986
Thatching
Bay 1975
Thatch
Abella
5-h
5-h
Silver Almond
Chestnut 1979
Be My Guest
Sweet Almond
8-c
4-i
reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:28pm
Obviously he is being aimed at the Ramsden for the exemption to the cup.

I am very intrigued how he goes with the 60, on the weekend!

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:29pm
He is obviously beatable although if he is a serious Melbourne Cup contender he needs to be winning.

reductio ad absurdum
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:13pm
You'll be loving him sticking to a trip after the freshen up djebel
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 5:40pm
He didn’t win but he was still very impressive.
Going to be hard to beat in a couple of weeks.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

You'll be loving him sticking to a trip after the freshen up djebel

"He's an unusual horse but he's a very gifted horse and I shake my head sometimes, I've never had a stayer like him with his turn of foot.

"A fortnight ago he was the sparring partner for I Am Someone and went with him and this week he did it again with Indian Thunder."

reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 6:57pm
I might be biased because I am starting to get a good feeling about him, like Leica Falcon and Signoff, but he was one of the best runs of the year today.

He was edging out on the turn just as the fall and interference happened on the turn, he had to wait for the horse outside to go forward, and after losing two to three lengths he had to pick himself up with the 60 and he wins in another two bounds.

If I was the trainer I would be sleeping in this horses barn to make sure nothing happens to him!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 7:00pm
I just watched the replay again.
If the fall hasn’t of occurred , no doubt he gets the run sooner and arguably wins.
Untapped potential and will be hard to beat anywhere he goes.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 7:00pm
Great minds think alike Voyager
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 7:08pm
Not sure what we are great at Sky, but yeah I get your point
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>