Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Stradbroke Handicap.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stradbroke Handicap.
    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 3:50pm
Settled on two here , Mr. Quickie and Victorem , both have a lovely weight drop and will appreciate the wide open spaces , 50 years ago I was here with the winner Smile where does the time go ? Confused
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:29pm
Who was that winner carioca ??
animals before people.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:45pm
Surely not the great Divide and Rule?

ps I'll go with the Harrovarian.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:56pm
Rajah Sahib , tell ya a funny story , Moore won the Doncaster on him but after that race the horse went to Adelaide and won the Birthday Cup over a mile and a quarter in the bog the 4 weeks later goes to Brisbane fo the Straddy , Moore says I'll ride Ricochet the other horse can't win , everyone follows Georgie but we get the choccies and they bet 25/1 , R Mallyon rode , happy days .StarStarStar
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 5:03pm
nice story Carioca - he was a great horse! I like Mr quickie as well and a saver on Tofane
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 5:05pm
Good luck to ya mate , I'll give em a little "dig " . Wink
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:25pm
Just got off the phone to my friend and client, his best man owns Vega One. They all had it going for over 300k, they wanted Kah and offered her 70k to stay in QLD but she didn't. Gollan's replacement was Rachel king. I warned him about her and said it's a terrible replacement. Anyway cut a long story short I messaged him last night to say I was wrong about Rachel King and what a great ride it was. Boy was I wrong, they all wanted to kill her. Her instructions were to go back to last and come with one run as the horse has a paralyising last 100m. Not only did she ignore isntructions but as she cut across the field at the start the horse was trampled on badly, had most of the skin taken off it's hind leg and went straight to hospital. Suffice to say she wont be riding Vega One again. LOL
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:43pm
Very entertaining race to watch ... Charge of the light brigade over the concluding stages .    About 3K below a solid G1 but the Handicapper was the winner.    Tofane was a good price really.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:43pm
Cr@p.
Good Old Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Good Old Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:46pm
Hilarious. "cut across the field at the start", from barrier 3 it was a length in front after 50m and coasted to the rail. She rode it brilliantly, just got beat by a better one on the day. The owner has no clue at all, complete muppet. 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:47pm
Explain why SC.... RUOK.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 1:55pm
See Good Old Ted's spot on reply.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:05pm
I noted that after posting ...( Paranoia ) as I jumped to conclusion that you were disputing my 3K below , remark.   I will increase the medication ,
   It never seems to be enough ..     
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:08pm
I was on Vega One for quite a collect but really nothing to complain about. Thought it was the winner for a brief moment but just beaten by a better on on the day. Maybe thought it was a bit too close in the run but what was she going to do when it jumped so well? She gave it every chance. 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:14pm
Nice little result there marble with Tofane Clap bobbing of the heads cost Mr. Quickie 3rd money , well done.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Cr@p.
Ditto!!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:16pm
Kings Ride was the best in the Race .   Box seated , improved at the right time and was only run down in the final 50m .
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

I was on Vega One for quite a collect but really nothing to complain about. Thought it was the winner for a brief moment but just beaten by a better on on the day. Maybe thought it was a bit too close in the run but what was she going to do when it jumped so well? She gave it every chance. 

Absolutely, in a race like the Straddie, you have to take every advantage open to you.......good ride on a good horse, just not good enough to win, 70K to stay in QLD? many would pay that to move here!!!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:20pm
Owners have got rocks in their heads
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 5:13pm

It was meant to be Queensland’s time to strike back after a State of Origin shocker but the Maroon equine army didn’t get the slice of Stradbroke luck they needed.

Tony Gollan’s bid for his first Stradbroke Handicap got off to a bizarre start when $4.60 favourite Vega One jumped like a gazelle and found himself in front.

It was the last place that Gollan and jockey Rachel King thought they would be with the quirky horse who sometimes gives trouble in the barrier and generally finds himself well back in his races.

Dropping back to sit just behind the leader, Apache Chase, Gollan had his fingers and toes and everything else crossed the fellow Queensland galloper would keep kicking and allow Vega One to be smothered up until he was ready to pounce.

But things went pear-shaped when Apache Chase started to fade (finishing 13th) and King had to produce runner-up Vega One earlier than expected in the Eagle Farm straight.

“She had to ride what was in front of her, but it was just unfortunate she couldn’t get a drag for a bit longer into the straight,” Gollan said.

“She waited as long on Apache Chase’s back as she could but he just came back on our face 50m too early.

“If that horse takes me 50m or 100m further, I win the race.”

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 5:26pm
Absolutely pinged the gates did Vega One. Was in front after a stride lol
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 8:31pm
I wish they could report what he really said. LOL

But seriously typical sweetheart owners I mean how dare they get annoyed when a jockey completely disobeyed instructions in a big Group 1. Thumbs Up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 8:32pm

That's why its usually ridden back in the field Rachel. Clown
Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 8:34pm
Just as good if not better ride than Kah's
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 8:57pm
Gollan had no complaints.

Read all the posts here PMD.  You're like the soldier marching down the parade ground claiming that all the rest of the troops are out of step.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 9:06pm
A jockey must have pinched PMD's girlfriend once, he's yet to praise one on here.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 9:15pm
Maybe Rachel IS the ex. Really dislikes her LOL
Time is a flat circle
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Pardon_My_Dust Pardon_My_Dust wrote:

That's why its usually ridden back in the field Rachel. Clown
The trainer was referring to Apache Chase which compounded and left Vega One vulnerable , take up another hobby PMD. Wink
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 11:41pm
The way Apache Chase was backed she was entitled to think he would be in it a lot further than he was. 
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:21am
why anyone would back a 3yo in an open age G1 this year.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>