Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Still A Star - All Star Mile - Event Date: 23 Jan 2021 - 23 Feb 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 6:39pm
thanks Guys, reckon you are right S.C. Found out im mc around 3 hours ago so the lights will do tonight....
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 12:04am
What ???      Are you on about Slowdown ????  Confused  We are all celebrating here,,,,

animals before people.
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 8:39am
all good A.A. had a great night and once the speeches were over endulged. huge cheers for Bill and Mary last night at the party. Cheers Slowdown
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 11:05am
How are you all travelling this morning slowdown?
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 12:27pm
Reckon they'd be slow out of the gates this morning LOL
Well done MinnieStarStarStar for giving the celebrations a boost!
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 12:42pm
I'm pretty good Dizzy. cows had to be moved. horses fed etc
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 2:58pm
Poor Monica, stuck in dreary old Melb, missing the party.Cry
animals before people.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 3:37pm
Yes, having animals and small children is good for not getting hungover...lol

And yeah AA, bit of a bummer for her. 
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 4:12pm
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:53pm
Lets hope we get double figures again, as the bookmakers seem to think she is not good enough, but trust me she is, especially with her racing style.

Could be a Tasmanian quinella coming up. I do not know if we have ever had a Tasmanian quinella in a mainland group 1 before. 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 11:08pm
that'd be the best Voyager.  
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:54am
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 1:11pm

asssie’s star mares retired to stud

09 / 12 / 2021Article by: Peter Staples

In Brief

• Racing over for Mystic Journey and Still A Star.
  • Trainer Bill Ryan explains why Still A Star has run her last race.
  • Mares cost a total of $24,000 but earned between them over $5 million.

Tasmanian racing has lost two of its mega stars with the announcements in the past 24 hours that Mystic Journey and Still A Star have been retired.

Both are expected to head to the breeding barn with connections of Mystic Journey unsure of which path to take while Still A Star’s trainer Bill Ryan has confirmed his mare will be sold.

Mystic Journey resumed racing this season after a lengthy break while recuperating from surgery to remove bone chips from her knee and she made quite an impact being placed twice in Group 2 events before finishing second to Collette in the Group 1 Empire Rose at Flemington in late October.

Her trainer Adam Trinder confirmed after a post-race interview with Tasracing’s Pete Staples on Wednesday night that the mare was being let down at his property at Latrobe to allow her to continue her journey as a broodmare.

Mystic Journey retires to stud with a brilliant record of 12 wins and six minor placings from only 28 starts for stakes of $4.182 million with her biggest wins the Group 1 Australian Guineas and the inaugural $5 million All-Star Mile when a three-year-old.

Still A Star had only 19 starts and she leaves racing with an impeccable record of 10 wins and seven minor placings, of which six were seconds, for total earnings of $873,190.

The mare also contested the Group 1 Empire Rose in which she finished near last but was later found to have suffered a grade three internal bleed which convinced Ryan to retire the daughter of Toronado.

Meetings with the owners of Still A Star, of which there are many, continued over many weeks but on Thursday Ryan confirmed an agreement had been reached and that the mare would be sold as a potential broodmare.

Mystic Journey, and of late Still A Star, helped lift the profile of Tasmanian racing to a new level interstate and the hole they leave in the state’s thoroughbred ranks may never be filled.

Mystic Journey and Still A Star sold for a combined total of $24,000 at Tasmanian Magic Millions Yearling Sales, proving you don’t have to spend a fortune to secure a champion.

Listen to what Ryan had to say to Pete Staples in an exclusive interview at Longford on Thursday morning.

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 1:13pm
audio at the bottom of the article. you may have to click on the link to find it

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 1:20pm
Happy retirement Minnie, best wishes to Bill and family 
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 1:36pm
Yes, exactly as Shawy said! 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 1:56pm
Poor Monica.   She will be devastated. 
But good on connections of both horses for putting their horse first.  
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 5:37pm
Thanks for the link, the 17mins was well spent as it's a wonderfully heartfelt & honest interview Heart
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 5:56pm
 sure was worth listening to Gay. Next week there will be an interview on RSN with Bill and Michael Felgate. should be well worth listening to. 
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 8:02pm
Sad we will not see both mares race again, but I am sure that they will both make fine mums.

I am sure Still A Star will find a nice home at a mainland breeding operation. 

What are we thinking about her price or what she would be worth as a broodmare? 
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 4:41pm
https://www.racing.com/news/2021-12-10/news-interstate-ryans-hopes-for-retiring-still-a-star

Ryan’s hopes for retiring Still A StarTough Tasmanian mare Still A Star looks set for the breeding barn, but her trainer Bill Ryan is pretty sure he won't live long enough to see his prized galloper become a mum.

The 73-year-old horseman has terminal lung disease and has already survived past doctors' initial predictions.

"If I am here in another 12 months that would be fantastic, but we have to be realistic," he said from his Longford property as he worked one of his nine horses during the morning.

"Doctors tell me I should keep working with the horses to get the exercise as much as I still can.

"It's no secret I don't have long left and even though drug treatment is making a small difference, I'm still deteriorating, there's more bad days than there was six months or a year ago.

"Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how fit you are, the cut off for a lung transplant is 70 years old, so I miss the cut.

"What it has done is make it easy to make the right decisions quickly and as soon as I saw Still A Star cross the line in the Empire Rose, I knew she'd run her last race for me, she owes us nothing."

After 19 starts, the daughter of Toronado, affectionately called Minnie by the Ryans, has recorded a triumphant 10 victories and seven placings, including six seconds.

Just a $13,000 purchase at the Tasmanian Magic Millions Yearling Sales, she's gone on to win $873,190 in prizemoney.Last start in an atypical performance, she finished near the back of the field in the Group 1 Empire Rose Stakes but was later found to have suffered a grade three internal bleed.

"She's so tough and so honest, that's why she rarely runs a bad race and after she suffered the bleed, it was an easy decision for me to retire her," he said.

"Sure, she could probably go on and run another race, she's only five, but with concerns like that I just don't want to risk it. She's meant so much to us all and she has given her best.

"Now she deserves to go off and become a mum and go to a top stud and a top stallion. She's got an impeccable race record, she was even Toronado's first Stakes winner, so she deserves to go to the best."

Ryan is also the mare's managing owner and while he says it will be tough to see her move on to the next stage of her career, he's also realistic, more so than ever with his illness in mind.

"She's such a character and even though she's highly strung, she is a princess and can be very sweet and loving when she wants to be," Ryan said.

"She's been an unbelievable horse for the family and in particular it will be hard for my daughter Monica to have to part with her.

"Monica's thinking with her heart though not her head and while in an ideal world we would breed from her here on the property, unfortunately it's time we don't have and her being sold is the best situation for everyone.

"Of course there's the chance another owner could race her on, but we're very hopeful she's run her last race and as a valuable broodmare will get to enter the next stage of her career."

Still A Star's retirement has been announced in the same week as Tasmania's other champion mare Mystic Journey.

"It's unbelievable they both finish at the same time. Adam (Trinder) has been a great support to me and it has made us all proud to have these mares representing Tasmanian racing so well," he said.

"Their retirement leaves a big gap in Tassie racing, so it will be good to see the next horse that can go to that level.

"Minnie has been the horse of a lifetime and a special mare for our family. She's got the biggest personality of any horse I've ever had and we'll enjoy her quirks for the next few weeks while she's still here and then make a decision on where she can head next to live out the rest of her days in a place she'll love."

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 5:18pm
as mentioned the interview with Michael Felgate. a great listen. nice to see RSN taking the time to interview various participants in the industry.

slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:54pm
sells for $700,000. all the best Minnie !
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:57pm
Good result. Any guesses on who she might be sent to?
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:59pm
i think Widden but it isnt up yet
slowdown View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 1:35pm
yep Widden
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 3:29pm
Away Game $4 mil and Tofane $3.1 mil Shocked
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:16pm
Thank heavens she stays in Ozz and hasnt ended up with Aquis or others.   Gone to a good farm instead of Japan or China.
What odds she will prove a better broody than the million dollar girls ???
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 7:26pm

Just like his ferocious mare Still A Star did on race day, veteran trainer Bill Ryan maintained his composure as the daughter of Toronado sold to Widden Stud for $700,000 at Tuesday's Magic Millions National Broodmare Sale.

The figure eclipsed any pay day the Tasmanian horseman has ever landed in his career and almost matched the $870,000 the star mare earned during a glittering 19-start career on the racetrack.

Despite a game face that didn't give away the emotion of the journey he's been on since purchasing the filly for $13,000 at the Tasmanian Magic Millions Yearling Sale in 2019, Ryan said it was a memorable result for both his family and the connections of the horse.

He said the mare, whose success has aided his health battles in recent years, helped him achieve some of his lifelong dreams in the sport.

"We're really happy with the result," Ryan said.

She'll go to a good home, which is what we wanted.

"It's amazing this horse racing business, I've been in it all my life and I'm just one of many battling horse trainers out there and I get my best horse when I'm about to retire."

Still A Star is expected to be mated with Zoustar in 2022.

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 9:20pm
For me one of the main reasons the champion racemares are not as effective at stud is that they always give their utmost in their racing and so the large number of starts they have compared to most mares is relevant to the genetic make up they pass on to their immediate offspring. It is also one reason that champion race mares can often produce good mares that do not have a great race track record, but can produce talented offspring themselves.

I would rather be in the ownership of Still A Star than Away Game, as far as breeding is concerned due to Minnie's relatively light race track career compared to Away Game's.   

But we will see what happens. At least both mares will get every opportunity for success with Still A Star going to Zoustar and Away Game being sent to Written Tycoon. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>