Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Steinem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steinem
    Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 4:56pm
I think this filly might be something special.

Frankel Filly Goes Two for Two

Tara Madgwick - Wednesday March 31 - Breednet

A ‘One to Watch’ when winning on debut at Pakenham earlier this month, Frankel filly Steinem confirmed our high opinion of her when bolting in at Sandown on Wednesday

Trained by Ciaron Maher and David Eustace, Steinem was sent out favourite this time with Jye McNeil in the saddle and powered home from back in the field.

She scored a commanding three and a half length win in the 1600m contest that clearly marked her as a contender for much better races.

"That felt really good the way she let down, she was a great winner at Pakenham but then to come here into Benchmark 64 city grade today was always going to be a big step, but she demolished them," McNeil said.

"I did have a lot of ground to make up but initially after letting down I was worried whether I got there too early, she really put them away really quickly.

"Thankfully she's switched on and smart enough to go on with it. She's a nice one for the future.”

The Group I SAJC Australasian Oaks (2000m) on may 1 looms as a possible target for this super talented filly.

A $400,000 Inglis Easter purchase from the Esker Lodge draft for Ciaron Maher Racing, Steinem runs for a syndicate that includes her breeders Australian Thoroughbred Bloodstock and Frank Cook’s Mystery Downs in whose colours she runs.

Foaled in the UK, Steinem is the first foal of Thai Noon (IRE), a winning Dansili daughter of stakes-winner Alsace Lorraine, a grand-daughter of Champion French 2YO Filly Miss Tahiti, the dam of Group I Newmarket Thousand Guineas winner Miss France, who is also by Dansili.

Thai Noon had a colt by Frankel that made $500,000 at Inglis Easter last year when bought by Michelle Payne Racing / Sardar Azmoun. 

She has no yearling for the sales this year, but did have a Pierro filly off a late service in 2020.

Frankel has a great record in Australia with 22 winners from 35 runners highlighted by six stakes-winners – Mirage Dancer, Miss Fabulass, Finche, Frankely Awesome, Significance and Hungry Heart, who will line up in the Group I ATC Vinery Stud Stakes (2000m) on Saturday.

Michelle's colt has been entered and scratched a few times recently, named Serlik.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 5:06pm
STEINEM (GB)Brown filly 2017 
Frankel
Bay 2008
Galileo
Bay 1998
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Fairy Bridge
Bay 1975
Bold Reason
Special
19-b
5-h
Urban Sea
Chestnut 1989
Miswaki
Chestnut 1978
Mr Prospector
Hopespringseternal
13-c
16-g
Allegretta
Chestnut 1978
Lombard
Anatevka
1-d
9-h
Kind
Bay 2001
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Rainbow Lake
Bay 1990
Rainbow Quest
Bay 1981
Blushing Groom
I Will Follow
22-d
14-f
Rockfest
Chestnut 1979
Stage Door Johnny
Rock Garden
1-l
1-k
Thai Noon
Bay 2012
Dansili
Bay or brown 1996
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Hasili
Bay 1991
Kahyasi
Bay 1985
Ile de Bourbon
Kadissya
4-i
5-e
Kerali
Chestnut 1984
High Line
Sookera
5-e
11>
Alsace Lorraine
Bay 2005
Giant's Causeway
Chestnut 1997
Storm Cat
Bay or brown 1983
Storm Bird
Terlingua
4-j
8-c
Mariah's Storm
Bay 1991
Rahy
Immense
12-c
11>
Mer de Corail
Bay or brown 1999
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Fairy Bridge
2-d
5-h
Miss Tahiti
Bay 1993
Tirol
Mini Luthe
10-c
10-e
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer4m,5m x 5m,5m Sadler's Wells3m x 4f Danehill3f x 3m
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 5:07pm
There are at least 7 strains of Northern Dancer in this fillies pedigree.

There are at least 9 strains of Natalma in this fillies pedigree. 

Edited by djebel - 01 Apr 2021 at 5:09pm
reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 5:19pm
The ND is a minimum 4 generations back with all but one further back in the pedigree. Similarly Natalma appears once in the 5th generation and the rest further back.

Perhaps more interesting is the sex-balanced Danehill and Sadlers Wells 3f x 3m and 3m x 4f respectively.

Certainly one to keep our eyes on.

Nick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 10:56pm
Very good
AdaHunta View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdaHunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 11:45pm

G3 Auraria on Saturday for this filly !! 

Pakenham debut over the 1400m was very good she had a bit to do to mow them down but geeeeee she looked good doing it !! Looked even more DANGEROUS stepping up to the mile @ Sandown making an absolute mess of them ..... Draws the car park (20) McNeil only has to keep her away from the rail give her some galloping room and she WINS !! 

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 10:03pm
https://www.anzbloodstocknews.com/frankel-filly-steinems-chance-at-group-3-success-11-years-in-the-making/

Frankel filly Steinem’s chance at Group 3 success 11 years in the making

Dance’s Royal Ascot trip the catalyst for breeding Maher and Eustace’s Auraria Stakes favourite

Saturday’s Auraria Stakes (Gr 3, 1800m) in Adelaide wouldn’t immediately become front of mind for most racing fans given the Group 1 extravaganza in Sydney and significant prize-money up for grabs around Australia and New Zealand, but the race still commands great interest.

A key lead-up to the Australasian Oaks (Gr 1, 2000m) at Morphettville a fortnight later, the race has attracted a capacity field of promising middle-distance fillies, the majority of which are Victorian-trained, including the unbeaten daughter of Frankel (Galileo) Steinem. 

The prospect of a Group 3 victory – and a “major” two weeks later – is the result of breeder and co-owner Darren Dance’s long-term investment in breeding mares to elite international stallions to southern hemisphere time.

Steinem, a $400,000 Inglis Australian Easter Yearling Sale purchase by co-trainer Ciaron Maher in 2019, is the second foal and first bred by Dance out of European mare Thai Noon (Dansili), a private purchase from Sara Cumani negotiated by UK agent Johnny McKeever.

“It all started the day I was at Royal Ascot (in 2012) when Frankel won and Black Caviar won in the same week,” Dance recalled yesterday. 

“I saw Frankel in the mounting enclosure and I couldn’t believe what a strong, outstanding specimen he was and then I watched him win by nine or ten lengths, I couldn’t believe it and I thought ‘when he goes to stud I’d love to send a mare to him’ and that is how the whole thing started.

“I just have this theory about breeding our own internationals rather than buying them for top dollar all the time and that’s kind of how I got started on the international breeding programme.”

Five years since Steinem was conceived and the filly is on the verge of valuable black type success, a reward for Dance’s foresight and patience, having scored impressively at Pakenham on March 18 and backed it up with another win at Sandown 13 days’ later. 

Jye McNeil, who rode Steinem at her first two starts, will travel to Adelaide to ride the filly who has drawn barrier 20 (16 after emergencies).

“She will go back, Jye McNeil knows her. Ciaron said she’s improved and if she runs to her last start, you’d expect her to be right there, but it’s a funny game – anything can happen,” he said.

“To be honest, you’d rather draw wide than barrier one with a filly who gets back and ends up four back the fence and gets cluttered up. From a wide gate, he can sit three-wide with cover if he wants to and peel out when he wants to.”

Dance, who now has a number of international mares in foal to the likes of Frankel, Camelot (Montjeu) and Night Of Thunder (Dubawi), deliberately kept Thai Noon in the UK for two years and again mated her with Frankel at Juddmonte Farm in 2017.

“Thai Noon stayed at New England Stud, got in foal to Frankel and then she had the filly and we put her back in foal to Frankel (in 2018) and when she was pregnant we brought the whole package home,” he said.

“I do that with all my mares because of … the cost of bringing them into Australia. With the amount of money you are investing, if you can leverage the asset by two offspring, it makes economic sense.

“Whereas, if you just get a mare in foal and bring her home, you’ve got all your eggs in one basket. If you don’t get a foal you can’t really get a free return.

“If the mare is good enough to go once, she is good enough to go twice.”

Steinem’s two-year-old brother Serlik, who made $500,000 at last year’s virtual Easter Round 1 sale, is in training at Ballarat with Michelle Payne and he too appears to have ability, having won a Cranbourne barrier trial on March 9.

“He was really strong and looked a bit earlier than the filly,” Dance said. 

“He won the trial well and the horse that ran second (Crystal Bound) came out and won at the Valley pretty well by six lengths, so the form’s there but I am just not sure where Michelle is up to with him.”

Thai Noon has a late November-born Pierro (Lonhro) filly and, as a result, she was not covered in 2020. 

“I know she’s an end of November foal but the Pierro filly is a bold type and Thai Noon’s a big mare, so she has good size foals,” he said. 

“There’s a lot riding on what happens in the next month with Steinem. It determines where the Pierro will be sold and it determines what stallion the mare will go to later in the year.”

But for now, Dance’s focus is on this weekend where he also has shares in Raise The Colours (Raise The Flag), a Paul Preusker-trained filly who also runs in the Auraria Stakes, Sydney Cup (Gr 1, 3200m) runner Southern France (Galileo), The Showdown (1200m) contender Literary Magnate (Written Tycoon) and Capriccio (I Am Invincible).

The Dan Bowman-trained Capriccio, a three-year-old who is accepted for the Redelva Stakes (Listed, 1100m) at Morphettville and the $150,000 VOBIS Gold Dash (1100m) at Caulfield on Saturday, was also bred by Dance.

He sold her to the Warrnambool trainer for $300,000 at the 2019 Inglis Melbourne Premier Yearling Sale.

“To have fillies that you’ve bred contesting big races and fillies you’ve bought into running in big races, it’s why we’re in the business and it’s why owners are with us because that’s their dream,” he said.

“They want to run in these big races and that’s where they want to be. That’s the bottom line.

“We have got all our big guns in on Saturday, so it will either be boom or bust.”

By Tim Rowe

deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 3:29pm
Really excited to this filly go around today. Has the potential to be anything!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:25pm
From the gate the jockey was dictated to a bit and it does not help the punters who backed her today, but surely if she draws a nice gate she is the stumbling block to Personal in a few weeks. 

I would actually back the up and comer over Personal, but that is just me.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Cheeky View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 7:24pm
Is she still running in the Oaks
Good Horse Good Jockey Good Bet Pittsburgh Phil
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 7:43pm
Surely she is Cheeky.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:34pm
Darren Dance was on ch78 the other day and said she would be.
Felt she was given no hope on the wrong part of the track
Cheeky View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cheeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:50pm
I am on at 5.5 not my normal bet, but this horse looks like she has enormous potential. Backing a restricted winner at level weights against a group two winners is for DFs, but I think she is worth the bet. Just hope she starts and blasts past them at the 100 metre mark.
Good Horse Good Jockey Good Bet Pittsburgh Phil
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 12:11am
From the fillies named who will be nominated, this is going to be a cracking race.

Personal, Parure, Ecumenical, Tyche Goddess (do not forget she was close up in the Wakeful), Flexible, the runner up in the NZ Oaks, Llanacord and possibly Bargain. Kiku and Brookspire from the Waller yard and Ripper Rita, a good solid winner from Saturday at Caulfield.

If she draws a gate she can sit closer and get every hope, and I think she is on the upward spiral, but it is a good field to overcome.   
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:45pm
Held up for a fair distance in the straight, which probably put paid to her winning chances today.

But still a very good initial prep for her & has a nice future ahead of her as an older racemare. 

Assume she’ll go for a break now.

Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:49pm
Will be in the paddock Monday morning.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 10:17pm
Resumes tomorrow at Mornington in a 1200m BM80.

Look forward to seeing how she goes in her 2nd prep.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 4:57pm
Super run, only beaten by Colette
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:01pm
That was an ideal lead in to the Matriarch.

Might back up into the 1600m mares race on Cox Plate day and then two weeks into the Matriarch.
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:04pm
That was a great run. Sat three deep and last, took off at the 600m and gave Collette a lovely cart into the race.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:05pm
Colette, Steinem, Still a Star, Mystic Journey, Tofane, Odeum etc.  If they all show up the Empire Rose should be a cracker this year.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:09pm
Hope there were excuses for Odeum as she looked horrible last start
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:11pm
Very true Shrunk.  And now I see she's in the paddock after that out of character performance.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 11:31am
May only have a Pakenham maiden & a Sandown Bm64 on her CV at the moment but a black type win can’t be far away for her.

9th in the Empire Rose yesterday but only 3 Len away from top line mares.  It was a really good effort from an up & comer against very well credentialed opposition.

Notice she’s entered for both big G1 races in Perth (Railway & Kingston Town) & I suspect she’ll ultimately be at her best 1800-2000m range.  

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 11:39am
I backed her yesterday on some mail. Thought she was disappointing - just plodded in the run home was my assessment.
Refer ALP Election Promises
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 12:15pm
I backed her too but only on the off chance that a mile wouldn't be too sharp for her now, which it was.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 4:37pm
Thought she might have been looking for the 1800m of the Eclipse Stakes this weekend given it’s the 4th run of her prep.

But instead sticks to the 1600m of the Summoned Stakes.  She’s good enough to win that anyways.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 4:49pm
A month between runs Foxseal, so may have had a minor setback.  She's in the right race imo.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 5:03pm
Heard Eustace talking about her yesterday, was deliberately held back for the mile race.
Has been working at the beach since last run
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 5:10pm
Thanks Shawy.  The classic Maher/Eustace freshen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>