Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Spanish Mission (USA)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 9:29am

The new owners of Melbourne Cup third placegetter Spanish Mission have thrown Glen Boss a bone after the star hoop famously missed the plumb spring ride on Incentivise because of quarantine issues.

Leviathan owners Brae Sokolski and Ozzie Kheir are among the new owners of Spanish Mission having purchased a 50 per cent stake in Incentivise earlier this year and having been unable to put Boss on the former Queenslander, will make amends with their new horse in next week’s Zipping Classic.  

“He (Boss) is great friends with the ownership group and, as you know, he missed the ride on Incentivise after quarantining and being sent home from the Northern Territory, so they asked me to put Bossy on him next week,” Spanish Mission’s new trainer Peter Moody said on his podcast, Moody On The Mic.

Spanish Mission arrived at Moody’s Pakenham stables last week after finishing third in the Melbourne Cup behind Verry Elleegant and Incentivise and, barring any issues, will make his first start for the new stable and owners as the headline act at Caulfield next Saturday.

“He had a little spin up on Tuesday morning, he’s in good order,” Moody said.

“He goes to Werribee (on Thursday) for his mandatory CT scans which all these internationals have to do post Melbourne Cup if they wish to run again before Zipping Classic or in the Zipping Classic and I don’t anticipate any issues there.”

Spanish Mission will head to the paddock after the Zipping Classic ahead of a Melbourne autumn campaign.

“I would suggest his next run post the Zipping Classic, if he does arrive there, would be something like the Australian Cup in March or something of that ilk,” Moody said.

With Incentivise set to have an extended spell in his native Queensland, Spanish Mission will be Moody’s headline horse of the autumn with the new stable mate a fair way of their likely collision course.

“I don’t think they will see each other until the spring of next year,” Moody said.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:43am
Jockey engagement Wink now you know why I was curious who rode him work Shawy38 .
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 4:24pm
Would have to be very disappointed with that on face value 
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 4:25pm
Yep, given every possible.  Hope he pulls up ok.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 4:33pm
Not sure he's a sit and sprint horse 
Time is a flat circle
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 4:38pm
Not a sit and sprint horse. Needs a true staying test as they run them in Europe. Also Spanish Mission is a 2400m+ horse...most of the big 2400m+ races in Australia are handicaps. 

I think he is clearly in Australia to earn as much money as possible then be retired. He isnt good enough in terms of the tol stayers in Europe.

Hopefully Moody can get him winning in 2021.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 4:41pm
“Earn as much money as possible then be retired”. Isn’t that the whole point of horse racing?LOL
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 4:42pm
Missed a pommy pacemaker. That race was the stamina equivalent of a 2000m race.

If you absolutely wanted to maximise his chance in that race you would go out in front and run it hard but Boss was probably under strict instructions not to do that.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:29pm
Ran like a tired stayer I thought. Just plodded not sure any speed would've made the difference. He still wouldn't have been able to accelerate. Sound may have gone past him even faster.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:38pm
The winners run 10.77 / 11.02 home at the end of a 2400m race. 

They crawled early, 37 lengths below benchmark
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:41pm
Yes but I think regardless if the horse was anywhere near his best he was entitled not to let others go past him. At least not that easily.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:43pm
Oh definitely not at his best for sure. Just pointing out cause it's crazy numbers lol
Time is a flat circle
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:44pm
He sat 4th in the run.  The winner came from 5th, the 2nd place-getter was 2nd throughout, the 3rd place-getter led.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 7:27pm
Yes i just saw that only sound really went past him although the fifth horse was coming. Still, Sound is a nine year old. Stallion too amazingly! Shocked
Good Old Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Good Old Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 7:30pm
Poor ride from a jockey past his best. 
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 8:50pm
Did I not hear before the Cup that the trainer's only concern was that he had had a hard season and he might have been looking for a spell.

I was stunned that he was brought to stay here (he is a as has been stated a 2400m+ horse), so not much around for him.

Next I was stunned that he was not spelled.

And next I was stunned that he was odds on here.

Sound won this last year when he was aimed at the Cup, and because he did not make that field he was the one to beat. This season he is having his last campaign, he is being aimed at the Auckland Cup and so he is on his way up where others like Warning up to Sydney and back and Spanish Mission have had the full cup prep.

I hope he can win his group 1.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 8:56pm
Anybody listen to Moody On The Mic ? 

Moody seems to think he has heaps of speed which is always the death knell for a stayer in Australia. 

I thought Bossy rode him perfectly. 

I also thought the horse ran like a proper 2 miler. 
reductio ad absurdum
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 9:59pm
Rode him like he had the best sprint in the field.
Which he clearly didn’t.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Anybody listen to Moody On The Mic ? 

Moody seems to think he has heaps of speed which is always the death knell for a stayer in Australia. 

I thought Bossy rode him perfectly. 

I also thought the horse ran like a proper 2 miler. 
I sincerely doubt this horse has ever shown speed , he's a grinding 2 mile plus horse , a winner of 4 races , if this horse has speed , then I'm an astronaut ! he's tired and needs a good break imo.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 11:20pm
My bad , he's won 6 . Big smile
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 11:32pm
I never expect anybody to take my word for it, listen to the podcast, it is available for all to hear. 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 11:35pm
And just incase anybody has any doubt, Spanish Mission is one of the top 5 stayers in Europe this season. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 9:14am
By stayer do you mean at distances further than 2400m? I doubt he's top 5 at 2400m.

Simon Cameron

Red Rancher View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 9:21am
I can't remember where I read in the lead up to the Melb Cup (possibly Racing Post) but the English journo referred to Spanish Mission as a great sit and sprint stayer more suited to Australian conditions. Agree he certainly did not look like that yesterday.
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 10:05am
Karma for the attention seekers. Should have stayed with the Noonans
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

By stayer do you mean at distances further than 2400m? I doubt he's top 5 at 2400m.

Yes sir. 2400m is middle distance. 

2800m and beyond. 
reductio ad absurdum
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 10:49am
Sound set for this race, Spanish Mission ran as an afterthought, there is the difference for mine.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 10:53am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Yes sir. 2400m is middle distance. 

2800m and beyond. 

See, that's the thing. The top Euros never go past 2400m. 

Simon Cameron

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 11:39am
Bossy erred badly imo , he let other jockeys dictate to him , he was on the best horse without a shadow of doubt but instead of whipping around the outside and running the race to suit his horse outside the leader when the pace slackened he was content to sit there and twiddle his thumbs , he was not giving ground in the straight but if he had let him stride they wouldn't have run those ridiculous splits at the end .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 11:53am
Agreed, it was a lamebrain passive ride, which I see all the time in Australian races. But I can't grade the Boss ride without knowing what instructions if any he was given.

Simon Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>