Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Shady John

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shady John
    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 3:44pm
Just to bring a bit of light relief to our lives at the moment I thought I would bring to your attention an article in this morning's press. There is a daily column titled "Police Briefs" in which the police post details of minor crime committed in the suburbs, where readers are encouraged to contact Crime Stoppers. This one got my attention. 

"Shady John is wanted by police. A warrant has been issued for the 25-year-old in relation to various related offences and contravening a community correction order. John is 170cm, tall of thin build with brown eyes and black hair. He is known to frequent the Melton and Sunshine area." . 

I was wondering whether he has a brother Shifty John ?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 4:01pm
Now Bob if he had a brother Nifty then I may know him.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 7:59pm
I've heard of a few " Long Johns ".

Often found in the glove box of Ladies cars , == Since Role reversal.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 8:03pm
In the US, a "John" is a kerb-crawler looking for female "company", or so I hear.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 9:05pm
Or it can be a dunny .
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 10:14pm
Or it could be the other half of Doe.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 10:35pm
But what parent would name their son “ Shady” ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 10:51pm
Hey, dont knock Shady, Bob. Have you noticed some of the new fangled names people come up with now ?  The balck Americans seem to be the winners with the strange names recently.   Look at some of their kids names !
And what about people who call their girls by boys names, and vice versa.
Not to mention the names that fit for both, like Peter/Peta. 
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 11:04pm
There was a corrupt policeman turned politician in Qld in the 80's period, Don Lane, the odds that he would acquire the moniker "shady Lane" after being convicted, was probably that of a near certainty.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 11:55pm
Ha ha.  We have a dubious character here who,s last name is Curtain.   You guessed it.  Shady. 
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

There was a corrupt policeman turned politician in Qld in the 80's period, Don Lane, the odds that he would acquire the moniker "shady Lane" after being convicted, was probably that of a near certainty.

Even whilst living in Victoria , I remember him, he had a nose like Jimmy Durante, and that is saying something.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:48am
That was him, Bob. Died young at 60, the fall from grace would have been a blow. He was a minister under Joh.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

But what parent would name their son “ Shady” ?

A well known lady whose married name was DICK named her son RANDY .

That will surprise you all ..   Greatest pop singer of all time .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 4:01pm
Patsy Cline
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 7:13pm
She was C & W , Bob.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 7:29pm
Patsy Cline wouldn't have succeeded in this day and age, to the same degree, barely registering on the sex appeal scale. Looking like a million dollars, is half the battle in being a successful female recording artist today. I guess back in those days, it was the voice that mattered, heard playing the records, or over the radio.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 7:39pm
You would get a lot of arguments over that one Max.

She has been dead for 50 years and is still a really well known name .

Patsy can still brighten up my day. AND registers on my Peter Meter.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 7:42pm
    I FALL TO PIECES

NEVER to be equaled.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I FALL TO PIECES

NEVER to be equaled.

Love it, one of the all time greats, I'm surprised one of our golden oldies lol don't remember the song "The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane" , remember it well in my younger days when the wireless was king, google it , it was very popular at the time fwiw.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:14pm
CRAZY was another of Patsy Clines greats .

Naming her son Randy Dick made me scratch my head.   But on reflection

One must admit ,    It was really her facing reality.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

She was C & W , Bob.

SC, I never said she was a pop singer it was Macca, all I answered to was which singer called her son Randy, her married name was Dick.I was aware she was C&W but the relevant part of the question to me what singer called her son Randy. Is there some pop singer who their son Randy, you know of ? For all I know In Macca’ s estimation she might have been popular without being a “pop singer”.
Bob1, SC 0
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 10:44pm
She was considered a "cross-over" from pop music to C & W. As for Randy, well I remember a "serious" female presenter on ABC radio playing a song by what she described as the "unlikely name" of Randy van Warmer. Perhaps she was imagining it was a young man who had a panel van outfitted for romantic weekend escapades.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 10:48pm
I'm not into singers , Classic or pop .      I've heard that top Oz/Dutch classical singer , on pop , c&w , and she is delightful.

Patsy was Beautiful too ...    She made my bells ring.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:12pm
Walkin' After Midnight.
I Fall To Pieces.
Crazy.

Bob, it was me, not SC, who gave the post about her being C&W.
And, back then they had to have a good voice to make it ,  and bugga what they looked like.  Now they can sound like a cow piddling on a flat tin, or a cat caught in a fight, but if they look sexy and have lots of back up dancers , they are stars.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

She was C & W , Bob.

SC, I never said she was a pop singer it was Macca, all I answered to was which singer called her son Randy, her married name was Dick.I was aware she was C&W but the relevant part of the question to me what singer called her son Randy. Is there some pop singer who their son Randy, you know of ? For all I know In Macca’ s estimation she might have been popular without being a “pop singer”.
Bob1, SC 0

SC, I apologise for my mistake confusing you with AA, I guess we at each other so much that I thought you were having a dig at me again. Maybe in the future I should give you a bit of ground and we might get on a bit better.
For you,AA, I looked up Patsy Cline’s bio and she actually transitioned from a country&western singer into a pop singer before she was killed in a plane crash , sadly, she was only 30 years old

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 8:17am
WHO was right again   ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 10:57am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

WHO was right again   ?

Lost me there Macca, what has Shady John or Patsy Cline, or whether she was C&W or pop singer got to do with the World Health Organisation?
Is there a cryptic message there I am missing?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 11:00am
No Bob ... Patsy Cline being Pop.    1st time I've been right in 20 years and I got excited .
 Post Reply Post Reply