Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > International Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

ROYAL ASCOT 2019/2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 3:20pm
for the 1st day ( Tues)

St James Palace  Stks G1

IMO either no 7 @ 22/1 (Maximal) or no 12 @ 4/1 (Thunder Moon, O'Brien and Frankie) should win

with 1-10-13 to fill the minors (timeform odds)

Queen Anne Stks G1

My Top 4 in this are

Lord Glitters to win from (not in order)

Order of Australia

Palace Pier

Accidental Agent

change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

www.3rdmillenniumbloodstock.com.au
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

The Ascot Gold Cup is the race of the meeting.

Stradivarious going for his 4th Gold Cup he is being challenged by last years Derby winner and last years Irish Derby winner plus the Melbourne Cup winner and the Dubai Gold Cup winner, Serpentine, Santiago, Twilight Payment and Subjectivist. 

Unbelievable highlight. 

Yep I agree. It should be a good race. I wonder if he can win the Gold Cup for the 4th year in a row. Thoughts?
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:02pm
Saldier
longevity does not equate to credibility
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:17pm
At odds, one of Ladbroke's BB form our experts.

$21.00

Ascot (UK) R4

9. Naamoos (10)

This is the most open edition of the St James's Palace Stakes in recent memory and it would not surprise if we saw an enormous upset. This is a huge step-up in quality for Naamoos, but he showed his talent with a dominant six lengths win at Sandown Park last start. You can't knock the upside of the horse and he will produce a better performance than his current odds suggest.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Vixen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 10:50pm
These from the England site just for interest. 

ROYAL ASCOT
2.30 PALACE PIER
3.05 TOLSTOY
3.40 BATTAASH (NB)
4.20 POETIC FLARE (NAP)
5.00 RAYAPOUR
5.35 FELIX (TREBLE)
6.10 DUBIOUS AFFAIR
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 2:53am
Palace Pier.- workman like performance. 

Baatash - I wonder if Baatash will be retired sooner rather than later? Has nothing more to prove. Good career.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:25am
NIce to see the Choisir mare produce the winner of the King Stand.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 1:42pm
Yes, hasnt he been a good but rather unsung stallion ?   
animals before people.
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 4:05pm
Prince Of Wales Stakes
Looks to me like Love, winner of the 2020 Oaks x 2 along with the 1000 Guineas, despite not racing since August last Year, is a strong chance,one would presume that @ 5/4 (Timeform) and Ryan Moore, she has been placed to win
Armory looks the best of the Colts, 

change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Palace Pier.- workman like performance. 

Baatash - I wonder if Baatash will be retired sooner rather than later? Has nothing more to prove. Good career.
Less than ideal prep.

Horses in finish, all came from the back.

He’s not done yet
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 7:19pm
Lord North out of the Prince Of Wales
Time is a flat circle
Vixen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Vixen Vixen wrote:

These from the England site just for interest. 

ROYAL ASCOT
2.30 PALACE PIER  1st $1.20
3.05 TOLSTOY
3.40 BATTAASH (NB)
4.20 POETIC FLARE (NAP) 1st $4.80-2.00
5.00 RAYAPOUR
5.35 FELIX (TREBLE)
6.10 DUBIOUS AFFAIR 2nd $10.00 !

DAY 2 

2.30 TWILIGHT GLEAMING
3.05 WORDSWORTH (TREBLE)
3.40 LADY BOWTHORPE
4.20 LOVE (NB)
5.00 ASTRO KING (NAP)
5.35 RUTHIN
6.10 DREAMLOPER

Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 6:37pm
My take on Ascot Gold Cup for what its worth
I reckon about 75% of the field have a chance, its not a bad looking renewal this year, but still need to find the winner
Serpentine  
Stradivarius or Serpentine to win
from Nayef Road, Amhran Na Bhfiann and Emperor Of The Sun to fill the minors
the latter two very interesting
Emperor Of The Sun, Galileo 1/2 Bro to Zoustar, EOTS has won over 14f but given the female family, might struggle with the xtra 5f or so
Amhran Na Bhfiann (whats the name mean and how pronounced) ran 3rd behind Serpentine in the Derby, had 9 Mths off before his latest 2 outings, 1/2 bro to Was, and full bro to Douglas Macarthur (Derby trial)

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 9:20pm
Timeform's top-rated Gold Cup winners: *Annual ratings in the year of their Ascot success... Alycidon 138 Souverain 135 Le Moss 135 Ardross 134 Twilight Alley 133 Levmoss 133 Sheshoon 132 Pandofell 132 Pan 130 Stradivarius 130 Botticelli 129+ Yeats 128 Order of St George 128
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 9:54pm
Few I'll be keeping the eye on tonight. 

Twilight Jet in the Norfolk at about 20/1 might run a cheeky race.

Mohaafeth in the Hampton Court. After his last start demolition I wanna see if he can do it again.

The Ribblesdale is a cracker. About 4-5 that could win that.

Stradivarius just because he's the best 2m+ horse in the World.

Air To Air and Perotto (at a price) in the Britannia.

Time is a flat circle
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 10:44pm
Hello,
3 Germanbred horses have an entry for "Ascot Racing week"

Rip van Lips (Rip van Winkle-Red Lips by Areion)
ran placed in Gr 2, Gr. 3 races in GER, won Listed "Oleander Rennen, over distances
from 2800-3200 meter
Ascot "Gold Cup 4000 meter", Thursday 17.06.21

Namos (Medicean-Namera by Areion)
won Gr. 2/Gr. 3 races/placed GER/FR, distances from 1200-1400 meter
Ascot "Diamond Jubilee" 1200 meter, Saturday 18.06.21

Novemba (Gleneagles-Nevada by Dubai Destination)
won "German 1000 Guineas", 1600 meter
Ascot "Coronation Stakes" 1600 meter, Friday 19.06,21

of course all 2 starters are probably Big outsiders, but you never know!

regards, Ticino
Vixen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Vixen Vixen wrote:

DAY 2 

2.30 TWILIGHT GLEAMING  2nd 1.40 
3.05 WORDSWORTH (TREBLE)  2nd 1.66 
3.40 LADY BOWTHORPE . 2nd 1.70 
4.20 LOVE (NB) 1st 2.17 - 1.27 
5.00 ASTRO KING (NAP) 2nd 2.37 
5.35 RUTHIN
6.10 DREAMLOPER

DAY 3

2.30 GO BEARS GO
3.05 MOHAAFETH (NB)
3.40 NOON STAR (TREBLE)
4.15 STRADIVARIUS
5.00 AERION POWER
5.35 SUREFIRE (NAP)- 
6.10 PERSUASION

Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 3:25am
Subjectivist has won the Ascot Gold Cup by a good margin. Stradivarius who was checked by a tiring horse could only finish 4th. Unlucky but I don't think he would have beaten the winner.

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 3:39am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Timeform's top-rated Gold Cup winners: *Annual ratings in the year of their Ascot success... Alycidon 138 Souverain 135 Le Moss 135 Ardross 134 Twilight Alley 133 Levmoss 133 Sheshoon 132 Pandofell 132 Pan 130 Stradivarius 130 Botticelli 129+ Yeats 128 Order of St George 128

Very interesting Djebel, thanks for providing these. 
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 3:40am
Subjectivist - the 2021 Group 2 Dubai Gold Cup winner at 3200m.....now has won the 2021 Group 1 Ascot Gold Cup at 4014m. Must be the first time that double has been done in the same year - good effort. Three-time Ascot Gold Cup winner Stradivarius was unlucky and ran 4th...was caught in a pocket. 2020 Melbourne Cup winner Twilight Payment was absolutely gassed and finished towards the tail of the field.

Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 5:43am
Soi far, there have been 5 Group Ones at the meeting & all the winners had previously won in Gp1 company. Will that continue?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:43pm

4.15pm Gold Cup (Group 1) (British Champions Series)

Subjectivist gives Mark Johnston a fourth Gold Cup with relentless performance

Subjectivist gave a display of staying brilliance for Joe Fanning and Mark Johnston in the G1 Gold Cup, one of the crown jewels of Royal Ascot.

Run over the marathon trip of two and a half miles, many expected three-time winner and 5/6 favourite Stradivarius to strike again, but it was the four-year-old Subjectivist who took the honours as Fanning set sail for home entering the straight and never looked like being caught.

Princess Zoe outran her odds of 28/1 to take second place for Irish trainer Tony Mullins, fully five lengths behind the impressive winner. Spanish Mission (7/1) was a further half-length back in third.

Stradivarius briefly met trouble in running on the home bend and could never land a blow under Frankie Dettori, ultimately finishing fourth.

This was a fourth Gold Cup success for Mark Johnston, following Royal Rebel (2001 & 2002) and Double Trigger (1995), and a 47th Royal Ascot win in total for the Middleham handler.

Johnston said: “We thought in the wintertime that Subjectivist was so much on the up. He won in France last season on heavy ground and people were thinking he needed heavy ground to excel. But then he went onto Dubai and that was the big question mark, could he go on fast ground? That was the performance of his life and I couldn't be confident coming here that he could replicate it after such a long time off and a big gap in between. I knew if he could reproduce that, he would take an awful lot of beating.

“I was really happy throughout the race. We never tell the jockey to lead, we just say to go the pace that suits our horse and Joe is the master at it. When he is sitting second like that, settled and relaxed with a horse giving him a beautiful lead in front, I thought it was perfect.

“With half a mile to go, I knew we were going into new territory, but he hadn't asked for any effort yet. He had a beautiful ride round and we knew how he could finish from Dubai, and he did that again.

“I thought he was the best horse we've taken Stradivarius on with, but we had a scare just after the Dubai race, so he's missed quite a bit of work after that. The preparations have not been smooth in that 45 minutes after his run in Dubai, he was filling in one leg and we thought that would be serious. When he came home from Dubai, he had scans at Newmarket, so he had lots of time off. Then in Middleham last week, he skinned both knees and one hock. The only positive was that Attraction did a similar thing before winning the Queen Mary and that didn't stop her either.

“We'll look at the Goodwood Cup. It is the obvious next race, then we'll have an eye on the wintertime. We can't ignore the money on offer in Dubai and Saudi. If the horse is well after this, we should work the horse back from this race next year."

On Fanning, Johnston added: “I think that’s his third Group One, so he's not new to this entirely, but it’s waited until the sort of twilight of his career and he deserved it long ago. You really see him at his best there.

“Everybody talks about Steve Cauthen as a great front running jockey, and I always put Jason Weaver up in the same sort of league, although he wasn't around for so long, but I don't think there's anybody better than Joe Fanning. He is absolutely perfect at setting the pace. People kept saying is he going to lead today, is he not going to lead today? However many thousands of runners Joe's had for us, we never tell him where he's got to be in the field, and it was just a perfect pace all the way around.”

Fanning said: “Subjectivist has been a great horse this year, even last year, he just keeps improving.

“In Dubai on that good ground, he was always doing his best work near the end, so I never felt that was an issue or ground as well, he’ll go on any ground. I just find he’s a horse you don’t complicate things with; if there’s something in front, let him go. He is a little bit keen, but every race he’s been getting better, more relaxed, and I said to Mark [Johnston], we are better off jumping and letting him do everything. If there is no pace then let him stride on; if there is pace, then just [leave him] wherever he settles.

“It was a steady pace, but he was relaxed, which was the main thing. In Dubai the race collapsed in front and I took it up, and I thought six down he was starting to push a bit in front, but I was never going to take him back. It was always the plan that if he wanted to roll on, let him roll on. Five out and before the home bend, I was able to get breathers into him to fill him up, and I thought it would take a very good one to get by him.

“Mark is a great man to ride for. Charlie is there now and the staff have been there for years – it’s a great team. I went to Mark after my apprenticeship, I think my first winner was for him in about 1991, and I went full-time in 1995. A few years ago! It’s great for the yard and Dr Jim [Walker], who has been a brilliant owner with us for years.

“It was nice to get such a reception from the other jockeys when I came in - they are a great bunch of lads. It’s great to be here in a big race with the crowd back.”

Winning owner Dr Jim Walker said: “It’s nice to be in the winning enclosure at Ascot for once!

“It was almost a re-run of the Dubai Gold Cup. I just thought at that point Joe had him, and it was going to be everything else that was going to have to try and catch him - and that's hard.”

Explaining what it means to win the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot, he added: “It's the pinnacle, because this is my division - staying - same as Mark, so it’s fantastic.”

Jockey Joey Sheridan said of the second: “Princess Zoe was brilliant. I am delighted for Tony [Mullins] and all of the team. I am over the moon.

“People were probably doubting her after her last run saying she had a lot to prove, but we know how good she is. All she needs is cut in the ground. I think the better horse beat us today, but on softer ground you don't know what could happen.

“To ride in a Gold Cup is unbelievable. It is incredible to be riding in situations like this."

Tony Mullins said: “Around a furlong down, I just thought for a second… I was so excited, but we’re over the moon with the run we had, because I believe this [Subjectivist] is the new Stradivarius, and unfortunately we met him. He beat us in France and he beat us here, so we’ll have to think of something new to try to beat him. He’s going to be a great champion.

“The Prix du Cadran is always the one in our head, maybe now we’ll look at the Irish St Leger or a staying race in France, because it’s doubtful the Goodwood Cup or the Doncaster Cup are going to have cut in the ground. She didn’t have it here, but the longevity of her legs won’t stick this ground all the time. Paddy [Kehoe, owner] still has aspirations of going to Cheltenham, and I’m not discounting it if he wants to go. It’s on our agenda, but for the moment the Prix du Cadran is the one.”

Spanish Mission’s rider William Buick said: “It was a great run. That trip probably stretches him. The last furlong was a long one, and the winner won very well. Credit to the winner, but Spanish Mission gave me a great ride."

John Gosden said of Stradivarius: “It didn't work out exactly. The winner was most impressive. We were an awful long way back and then we had Princess Zoe behind us. We were just caught too far back. Frankie couldn't get out when he wanted to. You need these races to go right, it didn't exactly go to plan in running, but full marks to the winner, I thought he was mightily impressive.”

Dettori said: “I ran into a pocket turning for home. When you get stopped in a two-and-half-mile race, you never get going again. The winner’s a good winner, but I’d love to have had another shot at it.”

animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:44pm

Click here for audio interviews with Mark Johnston and Joe Fanning:

animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 6:56pm
Soft ground for day 4
Time is a flat circle
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:25pm
Don't follow uk racing beyond an interest in the big events, but that seemed to be some performance by Subjectivist. Stradivarius wouldn't have run him down.

Also great to see how genuinely humble the jockey was, and the other jockeys all gathering to give him a cheer. Classy stuff.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:29pm
Winner 3 x 4 Sadlers Wells and sex balanced 3 x 3 Danehill, almost needless to say carrying the amazingly successful Galileo/Danehill cross.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:27pm
Nice to see Oisin Murphy having a change of fortune , top young man who sits well in the saddle imo.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:47pm
Couldn't agree more.  Thumbs Up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:54pm
It's getting VERY wet
Time is a flat circle
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:45pm
Track inspection at 9.30 (AEST) to decide whether racing goes ahead.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>