Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

RESET - R.I.P

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RESET - R.I.P
    Posted: 05 May 2021 at 5:15pm
What a shame we didn't have a thread dedicated to him untill his passing Cry I think he did a wonderful job Clap

Undefeated multiple G1 winning stallion Reset dies

Reset, an undefeated multiple G1 winner on the racetrack and the headline act on the Darley roster at Northwood Park in its formative years, passed away in the evening of Tuesday, 4 May at Woodlands, where he enjoyed his retirement.

Bred by Phillip Esplin and Geoff Hodgkinson, Reset was by Champion stallion Zabeel out of dual G1-winning Zeditave mare Assertive Lass. He was purchased by his trainer Graeme Rogerson for $190,000 at the 2002 Inglis Easter Yearling Sale.

A star on the racetrack for his owner Lloyd Williams, Reset’s brief but scintillating career saw him record five victories from five starts. His final two starts saw him post G1 victories in the Australian Guineas, which featured a stirring battle with Starcraft up the long Flemington straight in extreme heat, and a brilliant defeat of the older horses in the Futurity Stakes at Caulfield.

Reset joined the Darley stallion roster on his retirement from the racetrack in 2004 and from his very first crop sired G1 VRC Derby winner Rebel Raider. Following the purchase of Northwood Park, Reset became the headline act on Darley’s Victorian roster, a position he filled with distinction for many years.

“Reset was a much-loved horse, so it is a really sad day for the whole team, particularly those at Northwood Park,” said Darley Australia’s Head of Sales, Andy Makiv.As well as Rebel Raider, Reset is the sire of Caulfield Cup winner Fawkner, Cox Plate heroine Pinker Pinker, Epsom Handicap winner Hauraki and the VRC Oaks-winning filly Set Square. In total, he has sired 34 Stakes winners and his progeny have earned $55 million in prizemoney. As a broodmare sire his daughters are responsible for 10 Stakes winners to date including the likes of Houtzen. Reset will continue to be a familiar name in pedigrees and racebooks for years to come.

“He was the start of the marketing slogan we use today that the Darley stallions get you to the big days,” Makiv said.

“And he not only got you to the big days and the big races, he won you them as evidenced by his Cox Plate, Caulfield Cup, Epsom Handicap and Derby and Oaks winners.

“Most importantly though, he was a horse of great character who everyone loved having around and he will be sorely missed.”

Reset had resided at Woodlands in the Hunter Valley since retiring from stud duties at the end of the 2018 season.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 7:13pm

Sad Passing of Reset

Wednesday May 5

Darley celebrate the life of Northwood Park’s trailblazer Reset who passed at age 20.

Reset, an undefeated multiple G1 winner on the racetrack and the headline act on the Darley roster at Northwood Park in its formative years, passed away in the evening of Tuesday, 4 May at Woodlands, where he enjoyed his retirement.

RIP Reset, a Group I star on the track and as a sire.

RIP Reset, a Group I star on the track and as a sire.

Bred by Phillip Esplin and Geoff Hodgkinson, Reset was by Champion stallion Zabeel out of dual G1-winning Zeditave mare Assertive Lass. He was purchased by his trainer Graeme Rogerson for $190,000 at the 2002 Inglis Easter Yearling Sale.

A star on the racetrack for his owner Lloyd Williams, Reset’s brief but scintillating career saw him record five victories from five starts. His final two starts saw him post G1 victories in the Australian Guineas, which featured a stirring battle with Starcraft up the long Flemington straight in extreme heat, and a brilliant defeat of the older horses in the Futurity Stakes at Caulfield.

Reset joined the Darley stallion roster on his retirement from the racetrack in 2004 and from his very first crop sired G1 VRC Derby winner Rebel Raider. Following the purchase of Northwood Park, Reset became the headline act on Darley’s Victorian roster, a position he filled with distinction for many years.

“Reset was a much-loved horse, so it is a really sad day for the whole team, particularly those at Northwood Park,” said Darley Australia’s Head of Sales, Andy Makiv.

As well as Rebel Raider, Reset is the sire of Caulfield Cup winner Fawkner, Cox Plate heroine Pinker Pinker, Epsom Handicap winner Hauraki and the VRC Oaks-winning filly Set Square. In total, he has sired 34 Stakes winners and his progeny have earned $55 million in prizemoney. As a broodmare sire his daughters are responsible for 10 Stakes winners to date including the likes of Houtzen. Reset will continue to be a familiar name in pedigrees and racebooks for years to come.

“He was the start of the marketing slogan we use today that the Darley stallions get you to the big days,” Makiv said.

“And he not only got you to the big days and the big races, he won you them as evidenced by his Cox Plate, Caulfield Cup, Epsom Handicap and Derby and Oaks winners.

“Most importantly though, he was a horse of great character who everyone loved having around and he will be sorely missed.”

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 7:44pm
And such a lovely gentleman too.

Exemplified when he got away from his handler at a Darley stallion parade not so very long ago, and bolted out of sight.  Only as it turned out to head straight back to his own paddock and wait for someone to let him back in.

Under similar circumstances any number of the other stallions there could have done themselves and indeed anyone in their path quite serious damage.
 Post Reply Post Reply