Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Rangal Park Online Mare Sale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rangal Park Online Mare Sale
    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 1:31pm

RANGAL PARK’S BUTTLER TO PUT BROODMARES THROUGH ONLINE AUCTION

Long-time Victorian breeder Eric Buttler, who raced and later stood Group 1-winning sprinter  Keltrice (Kenmare) as well as Palace Music (The Minstrel) among others, will close his Rangal Park Stud owing to ill health.

Buttler, 81, yesterday revealed that he had been diagnosed with cancer, prompting the decision to sell the Euroa property he had owned for three decades and disperse his Rangal Park broodmare band, yearlings and weanlings in the coming months.

Forty Buttler-owned lots, including Listed winner Scratchy Lass (U S Ranger), Aquada (Flying Spur) – dam of the promising sprinter The Astrologist’s (Zoustar) – and Across The Ditch (Savabeel), a granddaughter of Group 3 winner Northeast Sheila (Keltrice), will be offered unreserved through the Inglis Digital January (Late) Online Auction. The catalogue will be released today.

“All the mares will go through on the 27th, a lot of them have foals at foot. We have our yearlings in at the Premier and at Easter and then there will be a few weaners go through in June and that will bring Rangal Park to a conclusion,” Buttler told ANZ Bloodstock News yesterday.

“I don’t have any other option: when the doctor tells you to get your affairs in order, you haven’t got much choice but to do just that.

“I have been diagnosed with cancer and the doctors haven’t given me a great length of time, so they have given me a push to wind things up.”

Rangal Park Stud’s four-strong stallion roster of Soul Patch (Shamus Award), Danerich (Danehill), Boom Time (Flying Spur) and Cliff’s Edge (Canford Cliffs) are all expected to relocate to Cornwall Park in time for the 2021 breeding season, with Buttler’s 530-acre Euroa farm already sold to a local cattle breeder.

“At this particular stage, it will close as a horse stud and he’ll run cattle on the property,” he said.

“It’s a highly fertile sandy loam and the grass takes off with a little bit of rain. That is what endeared him to the property, the grass production on it.”

Buttler also yesterday reflected on his time in racing and breeding, which included breeding and racing top-class two-year-old Northeast Sheila, who later became the dam of stakes winner Jacqueline Rouge, a filly by another of Rangal Park’s stallions Ne Coupez Pas (Nureyev).

“The highlights have been getting involved in Keltrice and North East Sheila and, of course, we were very unfortunate with a horse called Ne Coupez Pas due to his fertility,” he recalled.

“He bombed out totally but his credentials were unbelievable. I think he only had a handful of foals in his first year but he was champion first season Victorian sire and, of course, as a broodmare sire he had Pippie, who won the Oakleigh Plate, and Special Diva, who was stakes-performed.”

On Keltrice, who he acquired before he won the 1994 VRC Lightning Stakes (Gr 1, 1000m), Buttler said: “He was rather unique as far as he had no Northern Dancer, no Mr Prospector, no Star Kingdom or no Sir Tristram blood, so he was a total outcross to everything.

“He’s sired quite a few decent winners as a broodmare sire. He was more of a bread-and-butter sire, of course, but he did look like he was going to be outstanding earlier on but he didn’t quite go on with it.”

Article courtesy of ANZ

Edited by Gay3 - 28 Jan 2021 at 1:36pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 2:08pm
That is sad.

reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 4:15pm
I was just thinking the same thing . Memories. I remember visiting there when Palace Music was there, and also Ne Coupez Pass.  Lacryma Cristi also.  Northheast Sheila was there at one visit.  It brings back such memories of so many good horses, so long ago now.  Such a shame to see it close.  Very sad about Eric . 
animals before people.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:51pm
Oh no, I am just catching up with this thread.
Eric stood Lacryma Cristi for us for many years, we had a wonderful association with the stud and so many fond memories.
The Buttler's and the Burley's were a fabulous team to deal with.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 4:38pm
I just loved Lacryma Christi. 
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 3:12pm
Just a note to let anyone that hadn’t heard know.
Eric Buttler (Rangal Stud) passed away last night.
Condolences to all his family.
We weren’t related but had the same name but as Eric pointed out on numerous occasions the two “t’s” made him better. Will miss him, he was a real old fashioned gentleman.
R.I.P
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 12:28pm
Such a shame.  Condolences to the family and friends.
animals before people.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 12:45pm
I'm very saddened to read this news. A really lovely bloke who was very passionate about his horses.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
 Post Reply Post Reply