Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Racecourse Attendances

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beenaroundawhile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racecourse Attendances
    Posted: 28 May 2022 at 11:19am
I am a pretty low level (slightly better than break even punter), bets between $25/$50 around $1k per week.

I'm a member at Taree (Manning Valley Race Club) and I attend pretty well every meeting there. I have attended race meetings on a regular basis at most venues in my district for years. Mostly to catch up with my mates and enjoy a day out.

Monday is Port Macquarie which is an excellent venue. It takes me about an hour and forty minutes driving time each way. Same same Scone, Muswellbrook, Quirindi etc. It has never been a problem for me, the roads are usually quiet enough, a bit of music, enjoy the scenery munch on a cheese and bacon etc.

I'm 80yrs + and finding the travel on the day a bit much,, soooo a stopover.

Here is the rub,,, with todays gas prices $100,, accommodation $150,, tucker $50 all up $300. At least two meetings a week $600 which would make me better off killing my brain in front of this computer. 

I wont, I will bite the bullet and keep going, lucky me. But it is little wonder that racecourse attendance has dwindled to a handful of punters, most venues if you take out the grey hair there would be a few connections and a single bookie.

That's my rant I just felt like a chat,,Have a good day,, Cheers Bill.
seawindsbill
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 12:26pm
After attending city, provincial and country races for 30 years I have not been to a provincial or country meeting in years so I was wondering if I were to attend a meeting at, say Ballarat or Gosford on a Thursday, would there be any bookie at either of those meetings betting on the "away meetings " interstate as they did in the past ? 
As for this afternoon on my computer I can get corporate bookies odds on every TAB meeting if I were to attend the meeting at Wagga or Wodonga today , where there are probably one or two bookies,  would they be betting on any other meeting other than their own meeting and the main metropolitan meetings  ? Put it another way, if I went to Wagga could I get a bet on with a bookie on a race at Wodonga ?

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 12:32pm
You could probably get set for about $500 in a 130% market.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

beenaroundawhile View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beenaroundawhile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 12:39pm
Bob most oncourse bookies only bet the current venue,,,But,,,If you ask them they will refer to their online Betfair markets and offer you close to that price. As far as 140% markets go oncourse bookies are competing against the Tote,,Betfair and Corporates so generally speaking their markets are competitive.
If they weren't they wouldn't write a ticket. 
seawindsbill
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beenaroundawhile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 12:55pm
Correction,,My driving time to Port Macquarie is 2hrs 40 min.
seawindsbill
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 12:59pm
Can anyone tell me how many bookies are fielding at Wagga, Wodonga, Newcastle or Mackay today ?
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beenaroundawhile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 1:00pm
Newcastle will be two.

seawindsbill
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 1:52pm
why would anyone bother when you can see most meetings on Racing.com and bet on-line.

Last time I was at Gosford, was in 2014. There were only about eight bookies, then.

Even Canterbury was a bookie black-hole, at times.

People want comfort, convenience and cuisine, these days. The local pub is only patronised by elderly diehards.

You are one of a dying breed, beenaround. 

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by beenaroundawhile beenaroundawhile wrote:

Newcastle will be two.

No doubt those two bookies follow the corporate odds, which are available on any home computer. I doubt any more bookies would field at any non metropolitan meeting anywhere in Australia, excepting for big carnivals such as Warrnambool or Grafton. If that is the case why would anyone, as JJ suggests, bother to attend country or provincial racetracks anywhere in Australia.. they certainly would not be getting the best of the odds.
On course bookies , like on course punters ,are a dying breed.
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beenaroundawhile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 4:36pm
The professionals are still on course,,, The commission men are still on course,, Like your mate JJ you simply don't know what you are talking about. It's about untraceable money.
seawindsbill
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 7:58pm
Do you mean the tote crushers, aka Zeljko's team, or the stable commission agents are still on course  ? Zeljko's team may still be at Flemington on a Saturday but no way at Ballarat on a Thursday .
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 11:41pm
Beenaroundawhile.  We must have crossed paths on many occaisons as those tracks are my haunts too.
I actually ventured as far as Tamworth about 2 weeks ago and such a small crowd there for a beautiful day, and a friend trained 2 winners , so a bit of excitement.  And yes, we stay over too, rather than dodge the roos and potholes after dark . 
  But for JJs information.  I bother for the same reasons as Been does.  Meet up with friends and have a drink and a chat and see some horse flesh, instead of sitting in some stuffy hotel in the city gazing at a T V screen.

animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 1:18am
 All of my punting friends have passed on, or don't go to the races anymore. Neither do I. 

Racing in the city is now aimed at the young dumb punter who drinks heavily and loses all his/ her money, because they don't know one end of a horse from the other. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 1:40pm
Corporates entice mug punters to bet not only on horse racing but anything today. How can any punter know who will score the first try in an NRL game or who kicks the first goal in an AFL game ? Those markets are framed at 130% , which would be meaningless to those dumb punters, even before they got on the grog.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 1:40pm
I dont go to punt.  I go to see the horses, meet friends, and have a day out.
Sydney races are as you say, full of the young dumb crowd there to get p***ed, but country races are much more social.
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 2:02pm
 I used to love going to Bong Bong. We had some funny stories come out of our visits there, including one which involved a coke bottle being used as a urinal in the car by one member of our party, because our obstinate driver got sick of having to stop for toilet breaks. The girls just had to hold their bladders.  

I do miss those crazy days.  And I miss my equine friends, too.

Broken Heart 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 8:13pm
Think we may have met at Bong Bong a few times JJ. Always positioned right on top of the hill.

White Kombi Van ring a bell LOL
Refer ALP Election Promises
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 8:33pm
In the 80's an early 90's professional and mug punters alike could back a horse to win $50k at a Canberra meeting.  Needless to say you can't now with just two or three bookies who will knock you back for less than a $4k result.

The problem with the corporate bookies, as only a few may realize on here, is that you're most certainly banned or limited as soon as demonstrate a level of continued success.

As for racecourse attendance, or the lack of it, suspect that has little to do with punting per se.  More a case of watching Racing.com etc in the comfort of your living room.
 Post Reply Post Reply