Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Queensland Racing Integrity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:17am
Fully agree Bonjour. The term “harp” is not used for anything else in our industry apart from using an electric device to shock a horse into running faster. It is cruelty at its finest, and belongs in the past, not present days. 
The penalty used to be minimum 10 years disqualification, and somehow its been watered down in recent years. Any person using a harp on horses should be kept out as long as possible. And the owners who support these grubs should also be looked into. A punter has no morals when trying to get his horse to win when punted on. I have heard Qld’s (almost) biggest owner once asked a trainer whether they gave horses Raceday treatment, and when the trainer replied NO, then said “no point giving you any to train”.
And his trainers include the regular repeat offenders. Common knowledge within the industry but will never be questioned because of the amount of horses he has racing. Luckily his poor health might see him leaving the industry permanently before too long. 
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:48am
What was the explanation by Currie of what he meant by the term,in the text messages?

It defies logic, that he got off because the beak refuses to acknowledge what the term meant.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 2:32pm
Basically he said he was just mucking around to stir up the officials. He did not even know what a jigger was. Very believable (NOT). 
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 2:45pm
This is one instance when I back QRIC, the stewards must be livid, this bloke shouldn't be back for yonks, if he owned up, said sorry, [and meant it] well we move on, but he's nailed his colours to the mast, he believes we are all fools, maybe he's right....we must be.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:37pm
In reality, it does seem rather nonsensical Confused

ACTING stakeholders and followers of the sport in Queensland are still shaking their heads in disbelief after ARCHIE BUTTERFLY posed the question on his subscriber-only website, www.peterprofit.com:

SO WHEN DID A GOVERNMENT AUTHORITY NEED A GOVERNMENT LIAISON OFFICER TO LIAISE WITH GOVERNMENT?

HAS the world gone mad?

Or has Racing Queensland?

RQ is a statutory body set up under State Government legislation.

It is run by a Board comprised of members appointed by the Government.

All of its functions, including the parameters of its financial management and operations, are regulated by Government instruments.

It reports to the Racing Minister, who has the power to intervene in its operations and direct it to do certain things, for example to refuse Ben Currie’s nominations of horses to race.

It is in form, substance and effect a State Government body.

So why does it need to pay a six-figure salary to employ a Government Liaison Officer to deal with the Government?

Racing Queensland IS the Government, or an arm thereof!

Isn’t dealing with the Minister the CEO’s job – the one that gets paid more than half a million dollars a year to perform?

Wouldn’t the $120,000 to $200,000 that RQ are going to have to pay to get an experienced person to fill this role be better off spent on prizemoney or perhaps even used to put ambulances at trackwork so no more jockeys have to lie on the ground in agony waiting for one to arrive as happened at Deagon recently?

THEIR advertisement reads:

RACING Queensland (RQ) currently has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Government Liaison Officer (GLO) to provide strategic advice and expertise by liasing with the Minister’s office, the Racing Industry Governance unit and other Government agencies.

This is nuts.

It is a clear sign of bloated bureaucracy full of too many people with not enough to do, run by mandarins drunk on a COVID rush of extra wagering revenue who are forgetting that turnover is going to bounce back to normal levels now that people are starting to go back to work.

What job are they going to create next? An in-house masseuse? A personal trainer? Some to deliver weekly fruit trays?

Oh, that’s right!

They’ve already got them.

BENEFITS & PERKS OF WORKING AT RQ

WE have generous employee benefits such as EAP, an innovative reward and recognition program offering perks and discounts and best practice HR policies offering flexible working arrangements, paid parental leave, talent management and performance development. We also provide annual flu vaccinations, weekly fruit deliveries, corporate massages, and access to an on-site gym as we value your health and well-being.

SURELY THIS ISN’T DESIGNED AS A ‘JOB FOR THE BOYS OR GIRLS’

HERE’S hoping the rumor doing the rounds isn’t correct and that the Government Liaison Officer role hasn’t been especially created for a close relation of a high profile racing identity.

They say the more things change the more they stay the same. Memories come flooding back of the times when the Bob Bentley regime ran racing in Queensland.

There were some strange decisions made when RQ moved from Newstead to new digs at Deagon. The track mascot, a Shetland pony, was sent packing when Chairman Bob arrived one day to find him dropping a load at the front door of the new office building.

Then there was the decision whether to have a shower or urinal in the men’s amenities – it seems the design didn’t allow for both. Because the CEO at the time liked to take a morning run before starting work, he opted for a shower.

That created a major problem down the track when a high profile Board member needing a leak found there was no urinal and had to use the toilet area. When his specially crafted Italian shoes got soiled he protested loudly and the Integrity Department ‘pig dog’ of the day – a nickname devised by the Chairman – instituted an investigation sending a message to all male staff warning them to ‘shoot straight or face the consequences.' 

When a Racing Minister back then had decided to move on and one of the Departmental high profile first lieutenants feared being left without a cushy job, guess what the Government did?

It instructed RQ to create a separation of powers so that integrity and administration were split which created a major problem as such was the size of the integrity bureaucracy that they took up almost three-quarters of the building.

That announced the arrival at Deagon from the Executive Building of ‘Dr Dolittle and his team of  bumbling nightmares’ who went about dismantling RQ as it was known – hence the departure of some popular stewards and administrative staff – and Heaven help those who managed to survive but did not toe the line.

We could go on forever but some of the better stories will keep for another column.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:21pm
Where's Batman and Bonjour?  Shocked
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:40pm
Just watching SC. Thanks for your interest ??????
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 2:37pm

Most owners are happy if their horse wins just one race and gets a photo on the wall.

But wall space might be at a premium for the owners of Fab’s Cowboy, who on Saturday at Roma will be shooting for win number 46.

The Bevan Johnson-trained 10-year-old has become somewhat of a cult figure in Queensland where he has racked up winning races, the first of them at Gladstone back in June 2016.

“He was a late starter as a four-year-old and had a rough start to life,” Johnson’s partner Mel explains.

“He was put on a drip after a few days and was born amongst one of the worst droughts, farmers were losing stock and struggling to afford feed them and when the owners made the decision to send him to us to train.

“He was pretty ordinary looking when we first saw him.

“We chucked him up in the top paddock to feed them up for a while and I remember Bevan saying ‘I don’t know it’ll come to much.’

At first, his Moranbah’s trainers reaction might have been right after finishing no closer than 6.5 lengths from the winner at his first six starts, in one of those races he even failed to finish.

Fab’s Cowboy would however go on to win at 18 different Queensland tracks banking $349,425 in earnings.

Amongst his 45 triumphs have come three sequences of four run winning streaks.

So what’s left to achieve for a horse who has done it all? Maybe a record or two.

The current winning record of an Australian horse stands at 51.

“He’s become a real matriarch of our stables, he got to 20 odd wins and we thought that was good and then 30 was even better and then the owner mentioned the record and we thought well that record might actually be achievable,” Johnson recalls.

“We’d also like to pick-up a win in far north Queensland because then he’s won in all seven regions in Queensland so he might have to go up to Cairns or somewhere.

At the end of the day the records don’t matter though.

“We are so proud of him, he’s not just part of our stable but our family and a champion in our eyes.”

A son of American stallion Greenwood Lake, which may explain his liking for dirt tracks, ‘Cowboy’ as he is known had done it all with a cult following and trademark cheek.

“They say keep your best horses closest to the feed shed and the carrot fridge is opposite him and he certainly gets vocal and nodding his head when someone walks past it,” Johnson explained.

“He doesn’t like new people very much and doesn’t like people in his box - that’s his domain.

“When he gets into the mounting yard he puffs his chest out.

“The indication you get how he’s going to race is if he bows down and stretches himself, then we get a bit excited because he often does that and he’s won.”

As for any retirement plans?

“We have this plan that we’d like him to retire to Living Legends, but I’m scared to make the call because that means the end is near,” Johnson says.

Fab’s Cowboy will run in Race 5 at Roma on Saturday where he has won ten previous races and has been assigned 65-kilograms before a four-kilogram claim.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 2:39pm
What a record to have (115-45:20:6)

AB'S COWBOY 

10yo Bay Gelding
D.O.B: 26-Oct-2011
by GREENWOOD LAKE (USA)  from REAL LIVE WOMAN
View Pedigree Report

StatusActive
Owner’s Details Miss E E M Currin, Mr P W C Currin
Stewards EmbargoesCurrent - 09-Mar-2017, Warning (Fractious in Barrier)
Last Gear Change*05-Dec-2017, Tongue Tie, Off
TrainerMr Bevan Johnson (Moranbah)
Racing ColoursWhite, Dark Blue Stars, Armbands And Cap
CareerSummary: 115-45:20:6    Prizemoney: $349,425     
Min/Max-Dist-Win: 1000/1640     1st Up: 8:4-0-1    2nd Up: 8:4-0-0     
Firm: 0:0-0-0     Good: 103:40-18-6     Soft: 6:4-0-0     Heavy: 3:0-0-0    Synthetic: 0:0-0-0
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 3:02pm
115 runs in 89 preps. LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 3:04pm
*8 preps
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 6:36pm
Posted by Deirdre Stein ex G1 trainer:

Where is Queensland Racing and all the talk about making sure no thoroughbreds go to Meramist or to slaughter. Today at Laidley sales 2 young 4yo were bought by a dogger. These 2 should not be there poor uncared for. I could easily have found good homes for them had I been asked to.
There were possibly more thoroughbreds there who did find homes. Queensland Racing are you all hot air only for the media to look good and caring
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 8:19am
This is disgusting and should be mainstream media. Deidre has been fighting for years and she keeps fighting, why should the fight be carried by us 'boomers'? Where are the up and coming young trainers on these issues.

There are young people like Laura Cheshire, Chyna Marston, etc who are doing more than their bit, a few jockeys are doing re-homing in their downtime, but it needs a thorough going over the whole re-homing segment, as it stands the industry should hang it's head in shame.

We wrote to our local member regarding the behaviour of Grace Grace and her cohorts, we were promised it would be raised in question time, we are going to 'go again' to keep the bastards honest.

The behaviour of Racing Queensland needs to be questioned/examined, we want to know where our [stakeholders] money is going, they are taking it, but very secretive with the answers.......horses are dying, same as before, slaughtered, panic and distressful final few hours of their lives, if any of you care more than a passing thought, please email Grace Grace and her band of cronies, please.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Pardon_My_Dust Pardon_My_Dust wrote:

115 runs in 89 preps. LOL

Should've been 89, look at those fresh stats!
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 10:13am
I know right! Maybe it's runs in preps were well spaced out as it seems to go very well fresh.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 5:29am
Does anyone know if Deirdre Stein managed to register her horse charity? I do know she was/is struggling just to keep the place going and donations are her only road.
Why on earth can't Racing Queensland release some money from the welfare fund......if it's a lack of trust then just buy her some hay and food for Gods sake.....these bloody people need to stand up.....it's our money, not theirs!!
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 7:05pm
Bonjour, you raise good points and I almost replied just now. A combination of too many Asahi’s and a little self control has stopped me from leaving myself open to repercussions. However in the light of tomorrow I may post here or pm you the details of the sham going on up here. AngryAngryAngry 
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 5:05am
I'd look forward to that Batman, nothing would surprise me though, we had an issue serious enough to take to the Fed Police, that was two years ago, the Feds said they would 'look into it'' nothing happened, it was serious enough to have shut down the Spring Carnival, [Bio Security] we [wife and I] believe it was shut down......Not the carnival........The investigation!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Does anyone know if Deirdre Stein managed to register her horse charity? I do know she was/is struggling just to keep the place going and donations are her only road.
Why on earth can't Racing Queensland release some money from the welfare fund......if it's a lack of trust then just buy her some hay and food for Gods sake.....these bloody people need to stand up.....it's our money, not theirs!!

Not exactly the answer but some well deserved recognition Heart
CASH MONTH FOR DECEMBER
We would love to acknowledge the achievements and thoroughbred welfare care of Deidre Stein.
Deidre continues to do outstanding working in rescuing, caring and raising awareness to the off the track thoroughbreds.
Deidre kindly helps others on their various missions and raising money. To my knowledge Deidre has assisted with:
Deidre continues to fight for animal welfare. She lives and breathes horses and so deserves to be recognised for her kindness and generosity (which comes in all forms).
On behalf of The Thoroughbred Club Australia, and the Thoroughbred Girls we thank you and would like to give you a small donation in acknowledgment of your outstanding work.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 4:45am
Thank you Gay, that's lovely to read, I hope Racing Queensland read it, then again, if they read it they might think ....it let's us off the hook........
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:05pm

Anyone know who? Batman? Bonjour? I'm sure it must be common knowledge among participants up there Confused

QRIC & CHIEF STEWARD NEED TO LIFT THEIR ACT ON SERIOUS ISSUE

WE have reproduced this article written by ARCHIE BUTTERFLY on his subscriber-only website, www.peterprofit.com with his permission and because we feel it is in the interests of the racing public.

EXTREMELY disturbing reports are floating in about a Queensland racehorse trainer with a history of domestic violence order breaches who has been arrested by police and remanded in custody for alleged offences against another woman in the past week.

The licensee is believed to be trainer who won a rich major provincial series final in Brisbane.

Two months ago we were sent a picture of the person at the races wearing an electronic ankle bracelet, and were told that it was because he was on bail for DV breach offences and was required to wear it as a condition of his release. Not wanting to become involved in what at the time we believed were personal matters, we declined to publish the picture or a story explaining it.

This was terrible mistake on our behalf, and we apologise to women in racing and around the world for our error of judgement.

We have become aware subsequently that the reason that this trainer was wearing the electronic monitoring bracelet was because he had been charged with 18 counts of breaching bail, 12 of contravening a domestic violence order, two of attempting to pervert justice, and one each of assault occasioning bodily harm and public nuisance. At the time we did not know this.

Now we are told that the man was arrested at a Downs racetrack and charged with assaulting his new partner.

He is said to be remanded in custody to appear in court again for mention or plea on the 15th of February.

All of this is deeply disturbing on a personal level, and our heart goes out to his alleged victims.

The person's arrest is highly concerning from a racing perspective too, for it is said that reports about his alleged perverse behaviour and violence towards the woman involved in the industry were made to the QRIC and to the Queensland Chief Steward on several occasions, and both the organisation and the individual official were told of his previous arrests and the reasons for them.

It appears that nothing was done, and so the person was free to keep going to the track.

We understand as well, if not better, than anyone about the right to the presumption of innocence, and the right to a fair trial. But we also understand violence, and hate it when it is perpetrated against women. It is that hatred of cowards who hurt females that led us to once be arrested, charged and convicted for giving a coward of this type a taste of his own medicine. As we are still serving a non-custodial sentence for that offence, and feel until its end a deep remorse for our actions, we will say that what we did was wrong, and mean it too, however some might note that the victim of our crime never did it again to a woman, and they would be right too.

Unfortunately the licensee in this story - we won't call him a man, for men don't hit women - seems likely to have gone out and repeated his alleged violent actions against another woman after being freed on bail. Leopards and spots, and in the law we trust, until we don't.

Some senior racing integrity officials in Queensland appear to have a very perverse attitude to those who allegedly perpetrate physical and sexual violence against women, preferring to preserve the rights of accused perpetrators over the rights of their alleged victims. That is why we have a senior race club official hiding behind the name suppression laws and still performing his role while facing two separate counts of rape, and why this latest grub was allowed to continue holding a license that allowed him to go back and get arrested again for a like offence or offences.

It has to stop.

No-one is saying that an accused person should be judged guilty before they are found so. That would be unfair. But it is equally if not more unfair to place the alleged victims in a position where they are forced to leave the industry in order to protect their own physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing by avoiding situations where they are likely or perhaps even certain to cross paths with the male cowards who the police say have criminally assaulted them.

Peter V'Landys has shown the world how to deal with such allegations. His no fault stand-down rule whereby the person is barred from participation in the sport while awaiting trial, yet still permitted to maintain their contractual entitlements and their presumption of innocence is the exemplar in dealing with allegations of these kind.

It is about time that the QRIC and the Chief Steward adopted it.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:15pm
This sweetheart is having a bit eachway isn't he.

Why doesn't he name them both the official and the trainer ?

All this gelati he comes out with, Has anything ever come of them ?

Whilst the NRL might stand players down they are stood down on full pay.

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:33pm
Because he's sick of being sued for naming & shaming despite being proven correct. Going to court is extremely disruptive & as he's given the hearing date, I'm sure it's not hard to find out, apart from the fact Batman & Bonjour (at least) likely know even if they too are reluctant to disclose.
Bad enough that the guys been charged & more than once Angry weak scum Dead

iamt View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 5:38am
As distasteful as it reads, what is the solution?

The NRL rule basically only survives because the player still gets paid their full contract, keeps training and can resume playing once a case is resolved; it won't hold up un racing.

Trainers always win stays when appealing suspensions on the basis that if the charge is overturned the damage to the trainer and their business for having to move their horses, staff, etc is too great. It would happen here as well, even if QLD racing paid the trainer a wage while they were stood down the business cost is still too great.

It is the price we pay for a presumption of innocence.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:58pm
Reported today that Will Clarken's trip to Dubai is delayed due to a positive on his return from the MM sales. Also Gerry Harvey & his wife!
No doubt the ensuing article from LGHR will be 'told you so' oriented, after this last week:

Does the Magic Millions Race Day and Sales have special exemption from the COVID rules that apply to the rest of the community and normal taxpaying mums and dads?

Anyone who has watched television coverage from the Sales for millionaires and designed to make money for billionaire Gerry Harvey would think so.

The Rules relating to the wearing are pretty simply: Unless an exemption applies, a person MUST WEAR A FACE MASK AT ALL TIMES WHILST IN AN INDOOR SPACE.

Any person who fails to comply with this Government order without reasonable excuse could face up to six months imprisonment.

Officialdom should be especially stringent on the Gold Coast which has the worst record of COVID cases in Queensland not to mention the least number of citizens vaccinated.

During the week racing.com crossed to its reporter at the Sales and the compere asked: Are people abiding by the COVID rules? The reply: Yes, very stringently.

Behind him were dozens of Sales visitors and next to none of them were wearing masks.

QuizAbout View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote QuizAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Because he's sick of being sued for naming & shaming despite being proven correct. Going to court is extremely disruptive & as he's given the hearing date, I'm sure it's not hard to find out, apart from the fact Batman & Bonjour (at least) likely know even if they too are reluctant to disclose.
Bad enough that the guys been charged & more than once Angry weak scum Dead

How the hell is he even out on bail, that is really disturbing in itself.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 3:26pm
More shame on BRC!

DAN BOUGOURE RACING IS IN CREDIT WITH THE BRC
With the rumour mill in full swing we would just like to clear up this false narrative
We ARE NOT being evicted from our Eagle Farm stables because we owe money to the Brisbane Racing Club.
In fact, we are IN CREDIT with the Brisbane Racing Club
The only time we have been behind is because we did not receive the invoices. We have an extensive paper trail of requests to the BRC asking for our invoices and explaining that we do not want to be behind in our obligations.
In April 2022, we lodged a formal complaint with the BRC about the tardy receipt of invoices.
As soon as we receive our invoices we pay them IN FULL.
We are not the type of people to air dirty laundry but we will not stand by and have our reputation tarnished with false rumours.
Danny and Marybeth
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:41pm
Danny and Marybeth should know better. It’s obvious that some new blow in from Sydney or Melbourne has enquired about getting stables, but none are available. So what should happen next?
How about kicking out a financially stable trainer ( trust me, they are ) by using lack of recent performances by runners. All clubs find small trainers an inconvenience, and would prefer to deal only with big teams. 
Shame on BRC for this action, and they should be more worried about fixing their crap racetracks 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 2:54pm

IT BECOMES A MAJOR PROBLEM WHEN YOU CAN’T CONTROL OBJECTIVE CRITICS IN THE RACING MEDIA

RACING in Queensland needs an outspoken media critic like national broadcaster Ray Hadley – someone that those running the show can’t control like their ‘spin doctors’ in the Murdoch Media and on Radio TAB.

It’s easy to play ‘bully boy’ with websites or social media that dare to criticize and to take legal action to limit their ability to speak out like has happened with Archie Butterfly.

But Hadley doesn’t take kindly to threats and at present he has the Brisbane Racing Club running for cover over the stable eviction order placed on trainer Danny Bougoure, son of a legend of racing in Queensland.

Of course on this whole issue Racing Queensland is hiding under a rock and Racing Minister Grace Grace is nowhere to be seen – probably fearing that if she gets involved it might affect her nose in the trough annual visit to the Farm for Stradbroke day.

Hadley can be unrelenting as RQ CEO Brendan Parnell, the bloke paid well over a half a million dollars annually, found out when he allegedly tried to seal a deal involving the Albion Park Harness Racing Club to replace Josh Fleming as the SKY caller at Eagle Farm with David Fowler, the one-time Chairman of Australia’s worst performing major trots venue.

Whenever the outspoken and objective 4BC Morning Show Host sees a perceived injustice he tries to protect the victim as has been the case with Danny Bougoure. As Archie Butterfly wrote on his subscriber-only site, www.peterprofit.com, “He’s like a rabid dog savaging a bone.

‘Hadley was at it again (on Wedneday) attacking Bougoure’s landlords’s (the BRC) from all sides, in particular, the reindeer Matt Rudolph.

‘Rudolph should have manned up and fronted Hadley’s show during the week, or the CEO Tony Partridge should have anyway. But no doing so they have dug themselves a huge hole, and made an enemy of one of the most powerful broadcasters in the nation, which is not really the sort of person you want throwing bombs at you while you are hiding in your bunker, because Hadley doesn’t often miss.

‘The whole thing can still be fixed if the Eagle Farm management eat a bit of humble pie and reverse the eviction decision, and then bowl up on radio to say ‘sorry, we got this one wrong.’

‘What are the odds?

‘We’ll have to wait and see.

‘Only one thing is for sure.

‘This is not what Queensland Racing needs coming into the Carnival.’

EDITOR’S NOTE: Problem for the Brisbane Racing Club is that for too long (the days of the old QTC) they have been able to control what has been written in the mainstream racing media. They can’t cop criticism and never could but rarely got any, especially when Bart Sinclair, who works for them in retirement, was Racing Editor. One just hopes that the rumors (and that’s all they are), which we can’t repeat for legal reasons, are incorrect about why stables have been taken from Bougoure at Eagle Farm.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 4:22pm
Geez, Ray Hadley sure doesn't hide does he? LOL No holds barred with him.

CONTROVERSY continues to ride shotgun with racing in Queensland and another sad chapter is being written in the wake of the Danny Bougoure stabling eviction order from Eagle Farm and the attack on the Brisbane Racing Club by no-nonsense 4BC Morning Show host Ray Hadley.

The facts in the Bougoure case have been well documented with even those who barely follow the day-to-day happenings of the sport off the track aware that this arguably has nothing to do with the trainer’s success rate, especially as there are others at Eagle Farm with worse percentages who have not been targeted.

The role of the mainstream local racing media, which Hadley has accused of spin-doctoring this sad affair on behalf of the BRC and at the expense of the Bougoure family, is just the tip of the iceberg.

This would never have happened when respected Turf Editors like Jim Anderson and Keith Noud spearheaded big teams of racing writers in the heyday of newspaper coverage of the sport by The Courier-Mail and the Telegraph. Both had close ties with the then QTC and BRC but never allowed it to influence what was written by their staff.

That all changed – and we at LGHR can speak from experience – when Bart Sinclair took charge of a dwindling racing media contingent, first at the Daily Sun then at Queensland Newspapers after the Sun and Telegraph closed in a desperate effort by Rupert Murdoch to keep circulation figures of The Courier-Mail from hitting rock bottom which they now have.

It was ‘my way or the highway’ under Sinclair which meant those who dared to criticize his ‘mates’ at the QTC (and subsequently BRC after the merger) were transferred out of racing or lost their jobs. Sadly his influence arguably filtered through to weak-kneed ‘mates’ at Radio TAB. It was all guns blazing when Bob Bentley was chairman of RQ but full support when the Government changed and Kevin Dixon took over. The one common denominator was the ‘spin doctoring’ of the QTC and BRC. Both Sinclair and his protégé Nathan Exelby wound up working for the BRC. Therein lies the problem of today that Hadley has raised in the BRC v Bougoure battle zone.

He has accused Ben Dorries (of The Courier-Mail) of writing articles that resemble Media Releases for the BRC in the Bougoure controversy. What perhaps Ray doesn’t know is that Dorries once wrote articles bagging the Eagle Farm track and was given the message that he would wind up in the same boat as Garry Legg (a former turf scribe turned racing journalist for The Sunday Mail) who dared to criticize the BRC.

One has to feel sorry for 4TAB Morning Host Steve Hewlett who has been dragged into the Hadley attack for allegedly refusing to do stories on Bougoure and ‘blocking’ critics of the BRC over their stance. Hewlett tries desperately not to get involved in racing’s political issues. He’s a nice bloke but we know where they end up.

LGHR regards Hewlett as a mate but we agreed to disagree after writing a story of how David Fowler gave him a dressing down in front of studio staff at 4TAB for daring to criticise on-air the state of the Eagle Farm track during the redevelopment which had been well documented as a ‘basket case’. Hewlett reportedly apologised to Fowler – not because he felt what he said was wrong but he just prefers to walk away from controversy. If he treated Hewlett the way we were told Fowler should have been stood on his arse.  

Since then Fowler, a one-time chairman of Albion Park who LGHR took to his first trots meeting, has managed to fall out with the most powerful man in the sport, Kevin Seymour, jump into bed with the BRC and particularly Chairman Neville Bell, get himself hung out to dry after Hadley went into bat for popular race-caller Josh Fleming when a deal was allegedly being done behind the scenes between Fowler, RQ CEO Brendan Parnell and SKY. It involved Fowler replacing Fleming as SKY caller of Brisbane meetings and the suggested reward involved something to do with RQ and the future of Albion Park. Now Hadley is asking if Fowler and Bell negotiated the employment of a controversial figure at Albion Park when the former was chairman there.

NEW BROOM NEEDED FOR RACING QLD & A HALT TO MEDIA INTIMIDATION 

IF racing in Queensland is to gain any respectability the Labor Government and Racing Minister need to jump out of bed with RQ and the BRC and order an Independent Inquiry into a number of issues that will hopefully regain public confidence.

There also needs to be a broom put through RQ, some of the staff employed by the BRC and the racing media. That could start by ending the influence RQ CEO Parnell seems to still have with SKY.

Here are a few suggestions:

SACK the current RQ BOARD starting at the top of the tree with Steve Wilson but retaining former Brisbane Lord Mayor Graham Quirk (the only one worth feeding) and elevating him to Chairman. If it doesn’t happen now it will when the LNP wins the next State Election and let’s face it Labor is currently on the nose and the signs are bad when anyone considers the results for the Party in Queensland from the Federal Election.                              

The Board needs people who know racing not those who have been involved in business and say they want to learn about it but never seem to get around to it when appointed. The Government should go cap in hand to Kevin Seymour and ask him to assist Quirk in the re-build. As major share-holder of the TAB and the King of Harness Racing in Queensland for so long, Seymour has so much to offer.

Ray Stevens, the current Member for Mermaid Beach who should have been Racing Minister, would make a terrific Board representative. To add some balance to the political appointments Jim Soorley and Tony Mooney, former Lord Mayors of Brisbane and Townsville who are keen racing followers, would make terrific Board members.

Of course there needs to be women on the Board and if Pam O’Neill, the pioneering lady jockey was well enough, would be our first choice. Katie Page, the wife of Gerry Harvey, has terrific credentials but some might say there is too big a conflict with Magic Millions so why not add Mary Collier, the first woman Chairman of the Brisbane Turf Club, who has worked in a high profile role for RQ, has an intimate knowledge of the sport and is a lawyer.

There needs to be a Board appointee who protects the interests of the punters and Neville Morgan, a prominent owner who likes a bet, fits the bill but whether he would be interested after walking away from a short stint on the old QPC remains debatable.

Then perhaps to ensure more control of the media in racing someone like Phil Purser, who pioneered racing websites or Peter Bredhauer (don’t choke on your rice bubbles  Maggot) who has worked in just about every facet of the industry including the Appeals Body.

From a Board perspective the first cab off the rank should be Brendan Parnell – not only is he paid too much but also it could be argued that most in the industry have little confidence in the job he does. It could be said some of his First Lieutenants are there to make him look good. If they were looking for a replacement then go no further than Scott Whiteman the current boss of Country Racing Victoria.

That leaves us with only one more suggestion – and no doubt this won’t be welcomed by some stakeholders – lure Terry Bailey back from Hong Kong as Chief Steward to rebuild punter confidence in the racing product in Queensland lost under a succession of stewards, the latest being Peter Chadwick.

Well that’s our offering which no doubt will ruffle a few feathers – which it is designed to do – but on a final note expect some fireworks in Parliament shortly as the Bougoure issue along with the reason a high profile official has remained in his high paid job while facing rape charges revs up in court. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>