Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Privacy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Privacy
    Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 12:04pm
Are you bothered by shops using facial recognition?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 12:06pm
No.
reductio ad absurdum
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 12:19pm
No
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 12:21pm
I figure if it stops theft that's good for me since I'm paying for it.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 12:26pm
All about identifying you to flood you with junk mail to sell you stuff.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 1:49pm
On principle, it bothers me hugely. Personally, doesn't bother me at all because I've never been too naughty.

On a societal privacy/ liberty level it's not the society I'd choose to live in or defend. Plus of course it's a slippery slope.

Reminds me a bit too much of the long-forgotten 90s classic Gattaca.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 2:03pm
Whenever I see this sort of stuff I go back to the Australia Card kerfuffle all those years ago. To think it got on the knocked on the head for privacy concerns Confused
Refer ALP Election Promises
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 2:12pm
Lol yeah good old days.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 2:15pm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Card

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 2:28pm
Courtesy of the usual suspects- the scare campaigners.

Simon Cameron

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 5:00pm
Why would anyone think they have a right to privacy when in public? If this bothers you then shop on your computer in the privacy of your home. Literally no reason to step outside these days if you have these types of concerns. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Are you bothered by shops using facial recognition?

no...if it bothers you, don't go shopping.

without shop cameras, a certain rape murder case might not have been solved.

Geek
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 7:36pm
Wear a mask and they won't see your face Cool
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 8:15pm
Could not give a rats
Time is a flat circle
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 10:22pm
Stay home. Shop on line. Wear your tin foil hat. 
Who cares.
animals before people.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 9:02am
Find much of the comment on this page a touch concerning. 

I have issues with both big business & Govt drilling down on personal information. For different reasons though. I don't trust big business. This stuff is all about data mining so they can harass/target people to sell more junk. This attitude that if you go outside your home you are open slather is just crazy. Never used to be that way. The idea that they do this to benefit customers opening up their purchasing options would be fanciful at beast. And its almost counter productive these days anyway. Squillions of businesses all using similar techniques to get their foot in the door. It's painful dealing with it - unwanted e-mailing, unwanted phone calls, unwanted texting, unwanted face to face solicitation, loyalty program offers - if you want more of the same - that's what this new technology of recognition will be able to deliver. Just a matter of joining the dots. If you want some perspective where all this could end up in 30 years - go backwards 30years & compare to now.

And the Govt is just incompetent in handling information. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 9:04am
"This stuff is all about data mining so they can harass/target people to sell more junk."

Please explain how facial recognition in a shop does that?

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 9:06am
The privacy bird has long flown oneone.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 9:16am

"This stuff is all about data mining so they can harass/target people to sell more junk."

Please explain how facial recognition in a shop does that?
Not hard to cross-reference a face to purchase details (Loyalty Card / promo entry) - then from that point your movements in & out plus your interest points within the outlet can be monitored 
even without purchase. Then you get hammered with crap. I mean for it to work for security reasons they need a data base - right - so who is to say everyone who walks in the door isn't a potential security risk.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

The privacy bird has long flown oneone.
Probably correct. I just get annoyed with people who think these mobs are doing everyone a favour LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 9:23am
That's all done anyway when you use a loyalty/rewards card. No worries. Just another email to delete.

Simon Cameron

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 9:33am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Find much of the comment on this page a touch concerning. 

I have issues with both big business & Govt drilling down on personal information. For different reasons though. I don't trust big business. This stuff is all about data mining so they can harass/target people to sell more junk. This attitude that if you go outside your home you are open slather is just crazy. Never used to be that way. The idea that they do this to benefit customers opening up their purchasing options would be fanciful at beast. And its almost counter productive these days anyway. Squillions of businesses all using similar techniques to get their foot in the door. It's painful dealing with it - unwanted e-mailing, unwanted phone calls, unwanted texting, unwanted face to face solicitation, loyalty program offers - if you want more of the same - that's what this new technology of recognition will be able to deliver. Just a matter of joining the dots. If you want some perspective where all this could end up in 30 years - go backwards 30years & compare to now.

And the Govt is just incompetent in handling information. 

No, it is simply a fact. You have no right to privacy when in public. If you’re walking down the local mall and someone decides to take photos of you they are allowed to do that. You can not stop them due to “privacy”. This is no different and certainly is nothing new. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 9:36am
I wonder how cops ever caught anyone without CCTV and DNA. Probably verballed the usual suspects.Wink

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 9:44am

That's all done anyway when you use a loyalty/rewards card. No worries. Just another email to delete.
Well its not actually. Loyalty cards require a purchase. You could currently walk in & out everyday for a year - visit one particular area each time - & no one other than you would know about it. Once your facial details are recorded next to your details there is nothing they will not know about your purchasing practices / intentions - which makes their targeting so much simpler.

But as long as it somehow makes you feel safer & reduce badies coming in. It should be reflected in all those cheaper prices your going to get 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 9:47am

I wonder how cops ever caught anyone without CCTV and DNA. Probably verballed the usual suspects.Wink
I don't have any issue with either of those tools btw. There is genuine upside with those vs bloody big business bullgelati
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 9:52am
What about your phone? It tracks your every movement. Your credit/debit card tracks every transaction.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 10:03am
OK - however who is seeing it ? Are we being targeted from that info ?

If we are I don't agree with it
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 10:04am
My concern is all about motivation behind why things are being done.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 10:05am
You mustn't get much junk messages, emails or phone calls.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 11:25am
I can usually track mine back to having been somewhere - often similar type activity / service / product. Didn't ever associate that with walking around with a phone in my pocket. Would have expected to be inundated with crap (which I'm not) if that was the case 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>