Print Page | Close Window

Living with an ADHD person, in covid times.

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: Community - Public Forums
Forum Name: Laundry Basket
Forum Description: Dirty laundry and general trash. Please DO NOT read this forum if you are easily offended. Enter at your own risk!
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=66951
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 10:45pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Living with an ADHD person, in covid times.
Posted By: jujuno
Subject: Living with an ADHD person, in covid times.
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 6:20pm
 I ended up not going for my hour exercise, today, because my ADHD daughter kept arguing about the time the bus was due, despite me giving her the correct information. She is able to walk down the very steep Arden Street, to Coogee, with no problem, since she is only 29 and has no physical health issues.  I, on the other hand, need to catch a bus to the beach, because walking downhill is the most painful action when you have a bung knee with many spurs floating. Walking uphill causes far less problems. 

Anyway, after missing the beach bus, we abandoned that destination...which means I will have to adjust the physio needed to keep me active, at all. Instead, we went directly to Randwick to shop. This would normally take about an hour to accomplish, but since covid restrictions came in, Miss ADHD's brain seems to have gone into fight-mode.

At the Japanese sushi shop, she wanted to get takeaway and not eat it until we returned home. I said "fine", but if you buy any chicken dishes, better to eat them on the run, to be safe. I said I wasn't in the mood for sushi, so I'd wait and get a burger from Maccas, near the bus stop, before heading home. She argued for five minutes about getting the sushi at all, now I'd said those two things. Eventually, didn't get any. 

Next was the chemist. I got my script filled while she went around collecting various things she needed....mostly to deal with her allergies and eczema. We then had an argument about the amount of time she was taking, about queue-jumping, and who would pay for what. 

Next stop, the supermarket. She argued whether we should buy broccoli or broccolini. Then, chocolate. I told her to buy a couple of extra blocks for herself, since in the previous twelve hours she had polished off half of my Turkish Delight, at home. My daughter is a chocaholic. She eats it for breakfast. Took five minutes to settle that dispute. Then, she disappears...as usual...and I have to go up-aisle and down-aisle to find her. I call her The Scarlet Pimpernel because she disappears all the time, and, like Chauvelin, I continually seek her here, there and everywhere.   

We have a minor dispute at the checkout because she takes too much time scanning the groceries, and there is a long line waiting. She stops to argue about me attempting to speed things up. 

So, now we go past the chicken shop (small spat), then head over to the bus stop, where I expect to be allowed to quickly buy my lunch at Maccas. Suddenly, she announces she wants to buy an apple at the fruit shop...which is located forty metres into the village shopping centre. I remind her that we have only about seven minutes for the bus and neither of us have had lunch...so it's either that ONE apple or lunch. Take your pick. I lose the argument. She goes for her apple, leaving me with four heavy bags, none of which I am supposed to be carrying, at all. By the time she gets back, the bus is there. No time for lunch. 

We get on the bus, sit in separate seats, one behind the other, and I try not to combust at being hot, hungry and thirsty, while Miss ADHD happily chats on about how she might go for a walk after we get home.  On arrival at home, she suddenly realises I am still pissed off at her selfishness and offers to walk to Coogee for...Maccas. I shake my head in despair and let her go. 

I eventually got lunch at 3.15.  Censored 

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Replies:
Posted By: stayer
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 6:26pm
Try a classroom full of them.

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 6:28pm
 Trying to restrain a hyperactive person, in a lockdown, is a nightmare. She goes for walks at ten o'clock at night, after pacing the house about twenty times, making up her mind whether to go.

She is already panicking about the extra week added. I might need handcuffs to restrain her.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Try a classroom full of them.

Teachers are masochists. We have two in my immediate family. It would be the last profession I would ever consider.

Ouch

-------------

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 6:45pm
That is what my sister does, look after the special needs unit of their primary school. Got a 20 year certificate last week. She loves it.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 6:54pm
 I've found that nearly all integration assistants, carers and teachers are really good people.

Have the patience of saints.

I used to go on excursions with the special needs kids and observed the work they did. 

Yet, there are people who think these kids need to be locked away in 'special' schools, apart from children who have no problems.

Even though, sometimes, it's the no-problems children who cause the most problem...

Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 7:03pm
 I doesn't matter if this subject doesn't interest people...I just needed to bitch about a difficult day...

the stuffed lemur on my bed is sick of me complaining...

Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: Petiterhapsody
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 7:10pm
I 100000% hear you. This is my life on a daily basis as a single parent with an autistic/adhd/intellectually disabled 8yr old boy and trying to run a small boutique breeding business with a failing body too. It's dam hard and yes there's no rest for us, the only saving grace is therapy and support workers. Ndis is a bunfight to get anything. I hope you have some assistance to get a chance to rest, so by all means rant away. I hear and most certainly feel your life you live. 

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 8:00pm
It's a great thread top8c, JJ. Important stuff.

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Petiterhapsody Petiterhapsody wrote:

I 100000% hear you. This is my life on a daily basis as a single parent with an autistic/adhd/intellectually disabled 8yr old boy and trying to run a small boutique breeding business with a failing body too. It's dam hard and yes there's no rest for us, the only saving grace is therapy and support workers. Ndis is a bunfight to get anything. I hope you have some assistance to get a chance to rest, so by all means rant away. I hear and most certainly feel your life you live. 

We are past NDIS help. 

She was originally diagnosed ADHD, at three years of age, after we had endured two years of very difficult hyperactive behaviour. Tried every diet known to man to control the hyperactivity. Not too many made a difference. After diagnosis, she was put on Ritalin, which was very helpful, but had one huge drawback...she wouldn't eat while it was active. She also had to be given a drug called Catapres, an hour before bed-time, to get her to sleep. That drug worried me...she would go very pale while on it, as it lowers blood pressure...and after two years, I took her off it and just battled on with the Ritalin. A whole lot of know-alls told me it was bad parenting causing her problems. Sometimes, that was harder to deal with than the actual condition.

When she went to school, the Ritalin used to wear off before lunchtime and I had to go and give her a top-up to get her through the afternoon. Sometimes, I would find her wandering by herself in the schoolyard.  We were lucky that we had good support from integration staff and the school she attended was one our entire family had been pupils of and a lot of us worked on committees there. 

Fast forward...she got through Primary and High school, on the Ritalin, still not eating properly, but after leaving school she came off the drug...mostly due to her asking not to have to take it anymore. She put on weight rapidly and now looks a lot healthier...and bigger...but of course, all the ADHD quirks reappeared in spades. She never sleeps before 3am (you might notice I often post in the wee small hours, as I don't get to sleep, either), she paces endlessly, is restless, stubborn, set in her ways, hates change, panics if something unexpected occurs and has no out-of-family friends.  

But...she is as smart as anyone I've met and often corrects me about a lot of things. She is an artist, works on-line doing the cleverest drawings and makes a little money from it. She has a ribald sense of humour and when we are not arguing, we laugh a lot.  So, there are compensations. She can take care of herself, but it still falls back on me in regards to legal matters and any paperwork. 

This lockdown has been hard on both of us because we can't get away from each other, just to have a break.  

Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 9:44pm

Her father gave up and went to live in our holiday house, after the second child showed symptoms of ODD. Cowardice. He wanted perfect children and had no patience to deal with problems. 

The second child was the really difficult child. Wouldn't take any medication, so I just had to deal with the tantrums, escalations, hatred of authority. Now, she's 26, married, and her poor husband has to deal with it. Cry  I might add that she now looks like a model, and has  a model's temperament.

Sometimes, I wonder how I survived those years. We deserve medals.

Star 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 9:48pm
Good integration aides are the backbone of a school. Bad ones are frigging terrible. The other big issue is quack industries "diagnosing" kids with some new thing that isn't heard of 5 years later. Causes a lot of unnecessaey stress to families. Most kids just need time and a couple of caring teachers to get them through the rough patches.

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 9:49pm
And yes the parents deserve medals. Heroes, IMO.

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 9:52pm
Oh my you need an absolute medal, she's so very lucky to have you. We are on the medication path with respridone and Vyanse mornings, dex amphetamine at lunch and catapres at night. Without it he's nearly climbing warms and pushing everyone to the limits. Fortunately we are in Tassie and when it's warmer I'm quite often found out in a far paddock just for peace. Yes covid would be incredibly hard wth lock downs and with loosing a sense of regularity neoro divergent people would be finding it incredibly hard. Much kudos to you 

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 10:09pm

Oh my you need an absolute medal, she's so very lucky to have you. We are on the medication path with respridone and Vyanse mornings, dex amphetamine at lunch and catapres at night. Without it he's nearly climbing warms and pushing everyone to the limits. Fortunately we are in Tassie and when it's warmer I'm quite often found out in a far paddock just for peace. Yes covid would be incredibly hard wth lock downs and with loosing a sense of regularity neoro divergent people would be finding it incredibly hard. Much kudos to you 

wow...you are on a worse cocktail. I do not envy you your schedule.

I once went to a gathering of parents and children, involved with ADHD and Aspergers. After an hour watching all the kids going berserk, I decided not to go back a second time. So much interaction made it worse. But I made friends with another single mum, there. She liked getting together with me, after that, because her seven-year-old son would behave for me. 

This is why a lot of parents of ADHD children get called bad parents...because it is a quirk of the condition that they behave somewhat better with a stranger. 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 10:10pm
 and I understand the need for paddock space...and lots of guilt and tears...

Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 10:15pm

And yes the parents deserve medals. Heroes, IMO.

Teachers deserve extra pay.  Gee, I loved it when they went off to school...

I wouldn't want to have had to home-school my two, in a pink fit. I'd be in the looney bin.

Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 10:21pm
No me either, school holidays are ghastly. He behaves great at school, but as many have described to me there's a coke bottle effect when they come home. And yes when they can be with others, sensory overload. 

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 10:33pm
 I remember one time I took the girls on an outing and they didn't misbehave, throw a tantrum, fight or wander off. It was so unusual, when we got home I sat and cried for ten minutes...because life was strangely 'normal'. It didn't last. Next one was the real normal, losing the older one, and the other screaming all the way home in the bus. They were about eight and five at the time. 

Fun was never fun.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 3:33pm
 What does an ADHD person do in a blackout?  Wanders the house, aimlessly, because she can't play playstation games, or do her work, or watch her ipad...because the wifi went down as well. 

I sent her out to get hot pies from the local bakery, because they would only have to throw them away if the power never resumed. That consumed half-an-hour. 

Then the pacing started again. She came up with the idea we could boil water in the fondue set. We've never used it since receiving it as a Christmas gift. The idea was good, the execution poor, since the candle kept going out.  We gave up.

She eventually decided she would take her daily exercise by walking to the Randwick shops, hoping the power would come back on while she was out. It did. Thank God.  The thought of having to keep her entertained all day was more alarming than the outage. 

I read a book. Simples. What we used to do before technology came into our lives. 

Geek

-------------

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:10pm
Well you've tried all this city shyte and your not having much luck , your also lined up for surgery in the future , why not put that on hold and take a completely diferrent tack , apply for her to work on a sheep station to learn the basics of woolclassing or trainee jackaroo on a cattle station , you have to flick the switch and dictate to the mind , you never know and it's worth a try .

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 5:29pm
Silly post by me Confused ( shoulda read the thread properly ) 

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Well you've tried all this city shyte and your not having much luck , your also lined up for surgery in the future , why not put that on hold and take a completely diferrent tack , apply for her to work on a sheep station to learn the basics of woolclassing or trainee jackaroo on a cattle station , you have to flick the switch and dictate to the mind , you never know and it's worth a try .

wow...ConfusedConfusedConfused

could not see her doing that in a pink fit.

-------------

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

wow...ConfusedConfusedConfused

could not see her doing that in a pink fit.

Why not ??    Does she have to stay home with you and be pandered to ??     Would it hurt her to get out and do something different, instead of staying home with Mum ??   Confused

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:08pm
 She earns money doing art-work on-line. She is very good at it and makes enough to enjoy her other pursuits . Loves swimming and is a very strong swimmer. 

She doesn't get pandered to, at all.  She can go and do whatever she wishes. I have not tied her to my apron strings, and push her to do whatever she is capable of. Probably too much, at times, since she hates meeting new people. It's her right to do what she wants and not be forced into something she hates. 

But I doubt she'd be even remotely interested in wool-classing or being a jackaroo. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:13pm
 nothing wrong with being home with Mum, when Mum is more fun than most people her own age. We travel a lot and do some pretty crazy stuff...when a pandemic is not around. 

She's already been to England and America, and might go back there, with her sister, if this ever ends. 

Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:15pm
Fair enough.    Just you told us she has her own mind and makes her own decisions. 
I just wondered.   Sometimes getting out and being with animals helps a lot of people with many different problems. 
LOL   Jackaroo is bloody hard yakka Cry

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:23pm
 She had a cat...it died five months ago...Cry

She used to come to Gai's, with me. But got bored easily. 

I have a great photo of her being nuzzled by the very enormous Strawberry Boy...but she would never work with horses. Not the horsey type.  

To each their own. Mum would kill to go back to working with horses.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:30pm

-------------

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:36pm
Every Picture tells a story .     The daughter giving Mum's nose a Rub .   

That's Lovelly JJ ... She doesn't look to be hyped up in that Photo.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 12:23am
Lovely pic.
I would love to go back to working with horses,,,,,,but old age calls a halt.  

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 1:31am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

see, you can be nice...Beer

She's not always hypo...if you get her interested in something, like her art-work, she will concentrate for hours...

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 1:33am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Lovely pic.
I would love to go back to working with horses,,,,,,but old age calls a halt.  

same here. It was a huge chunk of my life, but now it's time to do milder things...

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 10:52pm
She's a good judge of character though macca.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 9:13am

see, you can be nice...Beer

She's not always hypo...if you get her interested in something, like her art-work, she will concentrate for hours...

I was being nice ?    Confusing You for that beautiful horse .

Apologise to it for me ..

you wouldn't be the first person who's called me a nag...

and I can take a joke if it isn't nasty...Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Brudder_A
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 10:46am
Who's going to look after her - after you're long gone?

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 11:34am
She'll look after herself Brudder_A.  I have a daughter who has been diagnosed ADHD but a different type to Jujuno's daughter.  Mine can't retain instructions and struggles to read.  Her mind just can't follow the words properly.  But she is above average for working things out visually.  She's the go to if I can't work something out.  9 times out of 10 she'll work it out before the rest of us.  

They just have to work differently to others but they can be very intelligent indeed and can look after themselves.  They are just very hard to live with.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

Who's going to look after her - after you're long gone?

furious is right. She is able to look after herself in most things, just not legal affairs or filling in forms.

her sister would need to help in that regard. 

She's taken care of herself and the house when I've been in hospital...

Hug

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 4:03pm
 I might add that I live next door to a schizophrenic man who, when off his meds, thinks it's amusing to bang on the wall of our building with a hammer...sometimes at 4am.

it's possible he could be a relative of a certain person on here...

Censored

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 5:12pm
It isn't easy Lyme ..    I do feel for such hazards in life . It must be hard for your daughter living with someone with ADHD .    But you seem to be able to control yourself most times .

Posted By: TJMitchell
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 5:14pm
Sounds like someone's had a bit of happy hour at the home. Chasing jj around the site. Nice one.

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

Sounds like someone's had a bit of happy hour at the home. Chasing jj around the site. Nice one.

Your not up with most post MJ ...   Lyme has been mentioning me all day ...as usual so she has to wear some comment on her multitude of ills ..   You do know a tick bit her some years ago .    We couldn't save it , it died in serious pain , But Lyme is still suffering , we do the best to cheer her up .   Borrelia burgdorferi

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 5:51pm
 can we keep the sniping to the 'snipe' thread, please.

Mrs Lyme's rules...in a non ADHD moment...

(just for the uneducated...ADHD is mostly inherited from the male side of the genetic trail)

I have IQ, not ADHD...

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 2:48pm
 Would everyone hurry up and get vaccinated, so Gladys can open up this freaking state.

If I don't get away from my insane neighbour, for a week or so, murder could be on the cards.

The last two nights, he's been on a roll, muttering very loudly about all manner of things, including talking to himself as if he's talking to me. 

He's not game to actually talk to me. If I call him out, he hides behind his door.

My mother thought that moving into an expensive complex would get her away from any nutty neighbours...but then found her new wheelchair-bound cheerful young next-door flat owner was a drug-rapist.

You never know who you'll get. They're everywhere....

There are some on here I wouldn't want to live next to.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 3:18pm
Community title living is NOT ON jj.    Gangs of maximum 7 form and run the schemes as if their on a power trip . Have no idea of the Act and by laws .   Do it all on the run .

You could move ... I have a granny Flat you can use until Stayer gets Parole .

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 3:34pm
 I'm not moving to Anna P territory, Macca. I contemplated it, once, about ten years ago. I searched from Robina to Noosa, but decided against it. The decision came down to two things.

1. My children would be far away from the rest of our family, and their beloved grandmother.

2. They would be living among Queenslanders, and could get all manner of horrible ideas from doing so...including barracking for the Maroons. 

I couldn't do that to two innocent children. Better the nutty neighbour than a Queenslander, next door. 

Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:55pm
I suspect my knee replacement surgery is being moved up, going by all the calls from the hospital the last few days. I'm lined up for a zoom anaesthetist appointment, tomorrow. I've been on the list since March. 

Today, I had a call from a nurse who was testing my physical and cognitive function. Apart from checking how restricted my mobility was...could I walk around the block or run for a bus (if I could I wouldn't be needing a new knee)...I had to count backwards from 20 to 1, was asked what year it was, what hospital was doing the op, and who the Prime Minister is. Usual stuff. She got a laugh when I replied Scomoron, telling me she had far worse responses. 

But my favourite question was when she asked if I was sexually active. I couldn't resist it...I said: "Are you offering?" We both had a giggle, then I answered: "Well, I would be if I had the opportunity." 

I'm still not sure why that question was necessary, in regards to a knee replacement.

I'll have to check my Karma Sutra guide book, to see which positions are not possible with a bung knee. 

Ermm   

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:13am
Hi JJ... Hope it all goes well . the Hospital Systems are so poorly run these days , it's another "disease" we have to survive.

I meant to ask ,   =   Was Your daughter another victim of the Ritalin poisoning ...    Always puzzled me why anyone would give a CNS stimulant to any Hyped person.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 1:58pm
 you obviously don't understand how Ritalin works. (surprise surprise)

In a hyperactive person, it calms them and centres their thinking.

In a non-hyper person it stimulates and turns that person's metabolism onto a higher rate. A lot of people inclined to be overweight, also use Ritalin as an appetite suppressor.

I still have a box if you'd like to give it a go. Evil Smile (somewhat out of date, but still possibly works)

It has been used for decades, with very effective results, and few side effects...in correctly diagnosed hyperactive children. 

You don't know much, old man.

-------------

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 4:15pm
Rather oddly, Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is used on animals, in particular dogs. Similar to Ivermectin but let’s not go there

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 4:32pm

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Rather oddly, Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is used on animals, in particular dogs. Similar to Ivermectin but let’s not go there

In dogs, methylphenidate can be used to treat narcolepsy, cataplexy and some types of hyperactivity, but it is not as safe in dogs as it is in humans and most veterinarians prefer to use drugs with fewer side-effects.

I stressed that little part which says it is safe in humans. Used correctly, it is. 

One thing they don't tell you:: the common cold can negate the effects of Ritalin.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:20pm
We used it to brighten up greyhounds back in the 1960's .

The Meth Amphetamines and Ritalin are controlled Sch2 drugs and the last thing a spoilt kid needs to be addicted to .

I've seen plenty of them on it and yet t see a success story .

From what you have said it didn't help your daughter either.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 7:08pm
 excuse me....again you show your ignorance.

My older daughter flourished, using Ritalin. It got her through school, right up to year twelve. 

very much a success story.  It's the non-Ritalin taker who caused the problems. 

Your memory is failing. Have a sleep.

As for: "the last thing a spoilt kid needs to be addicted to"  Angry

seriously, old man, you are a fake and a joke. You have absolutely no concept of what constitutes ADHD, and the distinction from a spoilt child.

I suspect you are just gelati-stirring, as usual, but statements like that are hurtful to parents who have to deal with these conditions.  Thankfully, no-one listens to your mis-informed irrelevant nonsense.

Exclamation 

-------------

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 7:42pm
I listen macca despite her little warn8ng sign that she wants to cancel you with rather than facts 

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 3:42am
 ADHD is a life-long condition. It is managed, not cured. Again, you show your lack of comprehension of the subject.

The daughter who was on Ritalin, from age 3 to 18, has not used the drug since leaving school. So, she occasionally paces and gets very restless. She also has trouble winding down to sleep. ADHD people are hot-wired. 

BUT...she has more brains and intelligence than ten Maccas. She can answer nearly anything you ask her, with great accuracy and detail, which always astounds me. Close to genius. 

Having ADHD does not mean she is stupid. 

You know nothing, old man. Restrict your comments to a subject you might actually know something about. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 4:53am
I've just copied a lot of this thread onto word, to potentially use in a book I may write, called 'The Ignorance of ADHD'. 

Macca's disgraceful comments are typical of the book title. 

Furious and Petite Rhapsody's contributions are invaluable. If I do publish the book, I shall make sure they are rewarded. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 4:58am
"as I get older, I have no room for stupidity, ignorance, liars, manipulators and people who insult my intelligence..." 

me either...

Geek

-------------

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 2:08pm
So it is sort of your fault JJ ?

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 2:12pm
 I started this thread to hopefully have a sane, responsible discussion about a very difficult condition that parents have to deal with.

I thank Furious and Petite Rhapsody for their contribution (though, in Macca's eyes we are all incompetent parents). Time to get away to get on with writing that book. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

So it is sort of your fault JJ ?

I get your gist and appreciate the attempt at humour. 

Unfortunately, I didn't know Daddy was ADHD until after the children were diagnosed. Apart from the continual pacing, he seemed fairly normal. Just couldn't remember song lyrics (a give-away clue to ADHD, I have since found out about)

-------------

Posted By: horlicks
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 2:44pm
Offensive comment and references to it removed.

Stop it macca

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

Offensive comment and references to it removed.

Stop it macca

Horlicks, it has gone beyond just telling him to desist. He is a bully...and the fact he induces me to retaliate is just as offensive to my general well-being. I hate having to return

If one cannot have a sensible and sometime humorous discussion about a serious subject, without his inferences and outright slander, then he needs to be removed.  I've messaged the Mayor.

Parents of children with difficult conditions have enough to deal with, without supposed 'know-alls' belittling them.

He may have directed the comment at me, as per usual, but it is an indictment of every parent who has to deal with ADHD or any other properly diagnosed condition. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 3:38pm
I love this site...when posters are allowed to voice an opinion or fact without trolls destroying the discussion. I've learned so much from some very intelligent thinkers, who have made me second-guess my own ideas. That's what learning is about...having ideas challenged. 

Joking and humorous replies add to the fun of these sites.

-------------

Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 4:01pm
Well said JJ!

ClapClapClap

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 5:45pm
Every teacher would tell you that parenting/ life experience is at the root of 80% of ADHD diagnosed kids. Doesn't mean it's a CAUSE of ADHD - just the root of 80% of diagnosed cases.
I could give loads of real life examples for your next best seller JJ.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:05pm
Exactly Stayer and the same applied during my many years in Psychiatric Areas.
   Not only in ADHD situations , the whole system is more a game of Drama Acting , at times for personal gain , insurances , Pensions and the like.
   Many treatments are justifiably questioned and To this day , I will never accept electricity being fired into someones brain ,   helps any illness.
A kick in the Arze cured my ADHD.
---------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:12pm
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/is-adhd-overdiagnosed-and-overtreated?utm_source=Sailthru" rel="nofollow - https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/is-adhd-overdiagnosed-and-overtreated?utm_source=Sailthru

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:28pm
JJ not sure how clever it is starting a thread like this. It is extremely controversial - & many have strong views on the issue. Lets just say the science isn't settled. You obviously have a fair bit invested in the topic having a daughter with the ailment. Not saying you should not encourage banter on it - however if you do - on an anonymous internet forum  - you have to know there is a fair chance it will end up in tears. What are you to hoping to achieve ? 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:40pm
If the comment was offensive enough, and described as such, that a moderator had to remove it, it's fair to say it probably wasn't just banter or warranted in the first place

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:43pm
Fair enough - you are correct - I didn't see it. 

Still say this is not the place to discuss controversial personal issues

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:51pm
It was FACT and the link to Medical site where it came from is there for all NOW.

As stated by 1--1 , ADHD is a huge subject throughout the medical world , due to it's exploitation in such things as handicapped pensions.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:59pm
I've got an exercise for you.

Search member posts of a moderator with the keyword 'macca' and let everyone know what you find.

It is my opinion there will be a common theme Wink

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 7:32pm
Over mod, under mod, rinse repeat, they can't ever hope to keep everyone happy LOL horlicks does a phenomenal job from what I've seen & I can't begin to imagine where he finds the patience Clap Clap Clap

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 8:33pm
Actually, we have a heap of regularly contributing members 'up top' who rarely even nit pick Tongue so am sure we'd manage to hobble on regardless Wink

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:07pm
Off topic but something I thought jj might enjoy. 

I just found out I make a cameo in John Marsdens new book 'Take Risks' LOL

Anyway, that was all.

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:14pm
How so, TJ?

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:16pm
It's kind of like a memoir of his time running the 2 schools he's got. I used to work for him years ago at the first school, Candlebark, when it was very new.

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:21pm
Where was Candlebark again? Rings a bell.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:27pm
Romsey. Out in the bush. Used to be an old camp for the blind I believe.

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:23pm
Did it become a camp for a private school, TJ?

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:26pm
It's ok, just googled. It was a school started pretty much by John Marsden, based on his ideas of education. I remember liking the idea at the time. What were you doing there, if you don't mind me asking?

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 11:39pm
Pretty much everything...except teaching lol. Taking care of the grounds, looking after the animals - had horses, cows, goats, geese, ducks etc, building whatever was needed. We renovated rooms for specific purpose like computer rooms etc. basically whatever they needed done.

We actually had a thunderstorm hit one day, striking so close to us I could actually hear the lightning, literal feet away. Rode the atv around rest of the day looking for any fires it may have started but didn't see anything. Got a call later that night that there was a fire up there so headed up with the cfa and got it under control, burnt maybe an acre of forest, lucky someone spotted the glow otherwise could've been bad.

It was a very interesting couple of years.

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 2:05am
Hate to break this to you, JJ, but most of your posts scream of Attention Deficit and Megalomania. (Where's that hiding under a chair emoticon?)

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 2:16am
 I dispute the Attention Deficit accusation, but will own up to EGOMANIA.

I've always had an ego. Most people who are good at sport or are intelligent, have an ego. It comes with the territory.

Not necessarily a drawback.

But megalomania is another thing altogether.  I have no obsession for power, whatsoever.

Geek

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 2:19am

Hate to break this to you, JJ, but most of your posts scream of Attention Deficit and Megalomania. (Where's that hiding under a chair emoticon?)

Would you like me to assess your personality? You might be surprised how you come across. 

Wink Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 2:38am
Yep go for it JJ!

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 4:48am
 If you know the hit record 'Summer Song' by Chad and Jeremy, you are mentioned in the first line. 

Cryptic...

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 7:48am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfvL2oLeBYs%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfvL2oLeBYs

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 8:00am

Fair enough - you are correct - I didn't see it. 

Still say this is not the place to discuss controversial personal issues

you have several times brought up your wife's problems, without anyone making horrible comments. Families are often mentioned by other members. Furious has often mentioned having a child with problems, but no-one makes fun of her. 

I bring up a different family health issue and guess who comes in on it to use it against me?

He claims he doesn't read my posts. If he doesn't read them, why comment? This thread was obviously about my daughter's issues...and I was hoping to have an intelligent discussion about the problems of living with a restless person in covid lockdown. There was no need for him to come in and use it as an excuse to belittle me.

It's pure targeting, because I stand up to him.

Think comparing dialysis brought on by kidney failure is a touch different to ADHD JJ. And I'm pretty sure I've ever never requested comment or suggested how hard it made life for me (or for her). More as evidence having a crack at specialists & the medical system I think.  

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:13am
 And we feel for your wife. She couldn't help having her kidneys fail. It must be bloody hard for both of you.

My daughter didn't ask to be born with ADHD, either. and should be respected for what she has achieved, not made fun of or have her condition questioned by anyone.

She was correctly assessed and diagnosed. She has battled her way through school, with the assistance of Ritalin and really good integration teachers, and is now a very responsible adult, earning a living. 

But...lockdowns have been harder on her, due to being ADHD. And I was trying to bring some enlightenment on the subject, by starting the thread. 

-------------

Posted By: Hello Sunshine
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:20am
If you are going to lay your life on the line on a PUBLIC forum expect to get all sorts of opinions
good and bad.
We are all different.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:28am
 That's fine. But don't make slanderous insinuations. Or belittle a person with a disability.

That is moronic.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:33am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfvL2oLeBYs%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfvL2oLeBYs

Nice song.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 3:03pm

Nice song.

Did you get the inference?

"Trees swaying in the Summer breeze..."

Wink

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net