Print Page | Close Window

Politically Correct

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=66267
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 1:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Politically Correct
Posted By: Baghdad Bob
Subject: Politically Correct
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:05am
Well it appears the woke brigade has won over some food manufacturers to re-brand their names as they are considered unacceptable. Coon cheese, named a Mr Coon its original manufacturer in 1935, is to be re-branded as Cheers, this follows on Nestle last year rebranding lollies Redskins as Red Ripper and Chicos as Cheekies  in the midst of the Black Lives Matter protests, even that summertime favourite Eskimo Pie is now known as Edy's Pie.
The next time I drive the inland highway from Melbourne to the Gold Coast, if Dan grants me a permit to travel out of Victoria, I will double check when I travel through Coonabarabran that it has not being renamed Cheersabarabran to satisfy that same woke brigade,

Replies:
Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:06am
Is political correctness the same as decency and respect?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:48am
It is interesting that Coonawarra, the SA town noted its wine, is an aboriginal word meaning Honeysuckle.

Coon cheese, like Coonawarra, whose derivation has no racial connotation, yet for "decency and respect " in 2021 has been re-branded.

Posted By: rusty nails
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:20am
You know the current connotation for the word coon.

Insisting what is now an offensive term to be preserved, on the basis that the derivation of the name had no malice, is absurd.

Quoting names of places or products that have those letters within the names, as justification for maintaining the brand name is ridiculous.

We all know what would happen if you called a group of young men coons.
And you would deserve it.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:28am
No argument about calling a group of young men coons, but a brand of cheese or a town, whose derivation had no racial implication that is another matter.

Posted By: max manewer
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:29am
I have seen mobs of indigenes taunting white people with the term "maggot", rusty, so what's to be done with that ? 

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:33am
The derivation is meaningless.

The fact that the language has since changed, and is now a totally offensive name is the issue.

As to the other names you quoted, from here they seem harmless.
It’s how they are received there, is the issue.

I saw a poll re the NFL team changing their name, received overwhelming support, so it would seem, it’s not that much different to coon, over there.

Posted By: Isaac soloman
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:34am
What is the origins of the SURNAME Coon?
the cheese was named after a person.
What if your name is BLACK?
Are you worried?

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

I have seen mobs of indigenes taunting white people with the term "maggot", rusty, so what's to be done with that ? 
Then I wholeheartedly support that name not being a brand name for cheese......

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:36am
I thought it was very odd that they kept calling it Coon cheese 40 years ago. The only thing that surprises me about this latest shock to right-wing sensibilities is that it took so long. Was there an economic incentive for the company keeping it? Was it the favourite cheese of white racists?

-------------
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:38am
It isn't just a case of it not being used as a brand name rusty, but being used at all, so I repeat, what are we to do with the word "maggot", which I have heard used by aboriginals in diverse places and times, and not in reference to fly larvae ?

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:40am
Those products seemed to have a lot of free promotion due to their "woke" decision perhaps they saw something in it....

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:45am

It isn't just a case of it not being used as a brand name rusty, but being used at all, so I repeat, what are we to do with the word "maggot", which I have heard used by aboriginals in diverse places and times, and not in reference to fly larvae ?

Really? Where did you last hear it?

-------------

Simon Cameron

Posted By: EnableMe
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:53am
Rusty 99% of the time you're fairly meaningless too. Your selective reasoning behind names including the word COON just reiterates my point. A white European family name should be black-banned forever because your sensibilities are aroused? Aboriginal place names are ok though? Nobody ever suggested changing the name of Wagga either which offends many migrants. Where does it all end? Would you like a tissue while you contemplate things? 

Tlaz you travel closer to 100%.

When was the last time anyone heard someone use the term coon in anger anyway? The late 70's? The ignorance of many to Coon being a genuine family name is just that - ignorance - exactly what some claim is being perpetrated by the owners of the brand.

-------------
longevity does not equate to credibility

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:15am
That’s an idiotic response.

In what way is my reasoning selective?

It’s beyond stoopid to suggest any word that has the letters c o o n by happenstance,within their names, should also be banned.

Which migrants are offended by Wagga?

The owners of the brand aren’t victims, they’re changing the name of their own volition.

It’s only redneck racists that object to the change.

They should really keep their rage intact for the really big issues, like why they have to wear a mask.....

Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I thought it was very odd that they kept calling it Coon cheese 40 years ago. The only thing that surprises me about this latest shock to right-wing sensibilities is that it took so long. Was there an economic incentive for the company keeping it? Was it the favourite cheese of white racists?

Economics is all you need to know or consider about this. The company couldn’t care less what BaghdadBob or RustyNails of TBV think about the decision. All they care about is HOW MANY Baghdad Bobs and RustyNails there are and how much cheese each of the two groups will buy if they A: leave the name as is or B: Change the name. Whichever results in more sales is the winner. 

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:45am
I liked Coon mild cheese, but mild cheddar cheese seems almost unobtainable these days.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:50am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Economics is all you need to know or consider about this. The company couldn’t care less what BaghdadBob or RustyNails of TBV think about the decision. All they care about is HOW MANY Baghdad Bobs and RustyNails there are and how much cheese each of the two groups will buy if they A: leave the name as is or B: Change the name. Whichever results in more sales is the winner. 
In due course they will see what that name change will affect their sales.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:59am
They know exactly how the name change will affect their sales.

Pretty clear that racist senior citizens are only a small percentage of their marketWink

Posted By: Isaac soloman
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:03pm
rusty why are your responses ALWAYS so over the top.

i want the name to stay because im a racist?

Just as racist as you are rusty, and max....

Right wing? no..
I would suggest that those who think along THOSE lines are the racist ones.
As enableme said, when was the last time the term was used? Not amongst the company i keep. or obviously im not as old as some on here.
and then i come on tbv and GUESS WHAT, the "debate" starts.

Where did MR COON get his name from?

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:12pm
Why do you care about keeping the name?

In what way does it improve your life?

You know the term is offensive, you think you don’t hear the term often, because even those in your circle know it’s offensive?

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:13pm
Eskimo Pie was very popular in my early years and this was the nickname we gave to Eskimo Prince when he was being broken in , reason being at least 6 times he tossed his rider and slowly cantered up the old sand track at Randwick to his stables not once did he take any " bark " off , as we watched this every morning we thought " he's a dud " LOL that was till all the boys watched him trial, boy o boy that nick disappeared quick , what a trial , he was poetry in motion. just saying.Smile

Posted By: TJMitchell
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:21pm
Someone jump on the phone to Tesco.

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

In due course they will see what that name change will affect their sales.

Given that so many businesses seem to be going down this type of line I’m willing to bet that the outcome for them is likely to be better than if they ignored it. If it wasn’t then you wouldn’t get business after business doing similar things. Like it or not there are more people pleased with it than you want to believe. Of course there is an even bigger group of people who couldn’t give a gelati either way. LOL

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:36pm
Here a few comments on the Coon / Cheer announcement overnight.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/no-harm-in-changing-the-name-coon-cheese-owner-explains-the-meaning-behind-name-change/news-story/f27e1e17f3b04759720761479c9b6050" rel="nofollow - https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/no-harm-in-changing-the-name-coon-cheese-owner-explains-the-meaning-behind-name-change/news-story/f27e1e17f3b04759720761479c9b6050

Scroll down to comments.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:38pm
Cheer Cheese is a sh1t name

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

Cheer Cheese is a sh1t name

This!!! LOLLOL

The gelati name choice will likely have more of an effect than a minute group outraged by the change itself. Most people couldn’t care less. 

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:34pm
The world does change, once if you called someone a "black", no-one would turn a hair, but if you called them a c***, all hell could break loose. Of course nowadays, no-one in the media would dare use the word "black" that way these days, but I have noticed the "C" word now seems acceptable for free to air TV. Moral of the story, don't be a fashion victim. And that is what the "woke" brigade are. If it is wrong to abuse people on racial grounds, it is wrong to abuse on a whole host of other grounds as well. Is it OK to call someone a silly old c***, but not a silly black c*** ? Seems identical to me, age can't be changed any more than racial antecedents can.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:58pm
Been living in a bubble?

Haven’t heard any of the bleating about ageists in the media?

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:06pm
Point, rusty, is that people trying to corner the market in indignation, are little more than a pain in the arrse, if it is wrong to use "black" as a term of derision, it is easy to find plenty of other pejoratives that are equally offensive, inasmuch as the target is in no position to alter whatever characteristic is being denigrated, but of course it isn't as easy to cash in on, say, a short stature industry, as it is the aboriginal industry. "You little sawn-off clown" might raise a laugh, but "you little black clown" would bring out the hounds of hell, if say a politician got sarcastic about another member, on the floor of parliament. Think about it rusty.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:43pm
Funny, I used to think exactly that when I was a teenager.

But most people learn as they mature.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:58pm
No rusty, that would be just you luxuriating in a warm inner glow of self-satisfaction, that you are in the vanguard of progressive thinking. In reality, all strong ethnic identification, and encouragement of same, is divisive, because it inevitably leads to under-valuation of those that don't share that background. How could it be otherwise, and it is of course the source of the racism that you have cherry-picked to be the one you despise. You must despise all, or be deemed a racist yourself.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:07pm
Right-wingnuts do a pretty good line in indignation themselves. Fox/Sky would be dead air without it. What can I be outraged about today?Angry Spend most of their time getting their knickers in a knot over the most trivia things, like this. 

Makes blackfellas feel a little bit better: costs me nothing: win/win.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:35pm

No rusty, that would be just you luxuriating in a warm inner glow of self-satisfaction, that you are in the vanguard of progressive thinking. In reality, all strong ethnic identification, and encouragement of same, is divisive, because it inevitably leads to under-valuation of those that don't share that background. How could it be otherwise, and it is of course the source of the racism that you have cherry-picked to be the one you despise. You must despise all, or be deemed a racist yourself.
Huh?

No mate, it’s simple, just live and let live.
Don’t call anyone a black/fat/short ......

The language has changed, and a particular brand name is now identified as crass racist.

Only a racist would object to the owners identifying that, and choosing to make their product more acceptable in the marketplace.

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Is political correctness the same as decency and respect?

That is one of the most astute questions in human history PT Clap

And unfortunately like feminism the answer is no.

Feminism was created to attain an equal share of wages and opportunities, which I think most intelligent people would say is acceptable.

However the movement turned radical, and using the same male characteristics which they were protesting, it turned most of the population against their cause.

These days it is political correctness or social justice which are the causes, which are losing its support.

You see it in the entertainment industry.

If you have an established franchise, such as Star Wars and Star Trek,  and you try to concentrate on social justice and political correctness instead of paying tribute to the 40 year history of the franchise, and the preaching of what we should think, by having weak storylines and even worse acting, then people even franchise fans, will disappear.

Political correctness is like multiculturalism. They only work if the entire population supports it, and when you lose support for either amongst a large number of the population your cause will not succeed!  

A good example of a successful social campaign is the gay rights cause. It took over forty years but eventually in Australia their lifestyle became widespread and the majority of the community were so used to what was happening that they wanted to move on from what seemed a out of date issue.

This is like the whip issue in racing. If the industry gives in to the protestors about that they will not stop protesting until racing is dead and buried. 

If you want to be fully politically correct then we have to change the name of my the suburb in Sydney, Blacktown, the White House, Black Sea, blackholes. 

This issue with the cheese would be offensive to me if my name was Coon. You are saying that my name the one thing that identifies every human is offensive. The people who think the name is offensive are the ones showing racist tendencies because when you see the name you automatically see an offensive word instead of someone's name.

The question was does political correctness equal decency and respect?

The answer is yes, if you argue about the PC issue in a mature, respectful way, without resorting to the exact same actions that you are arguing against. 

However that type of public debating has never been in humanity's instinct so the answer in reality is no PC does not equal decency and respect.    

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:57pm
I'm not seeing a campaign to stop people being called fat/ugly/dumb etc the way precious ethnicity must not be mentioned, rusty. I would say this, it is a sure sign of psychological insecurity, for people to want to pump up a particular ethnicity, which by an accident of fate they happen to belong to. It rightly belongs more to the realm of the joke book. 

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:16pm
I remember when the fat/ugly/dumb people were slaves too. What a wild time! 

Or that time the government stole all the fat/ugly/dumb children from their parents.

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:29pm
They were slaves to their perceived (by others) shortcomings, TJ, and still are, and I don't see that changing, discrimination being inherent to all human decision making. Chauvinisms of all kinds, and that is what racial identifications are, are a bar to psychological growth, which rusty imagines he has grown into. Think of all those Irish jokes you laughed at, that depend on the prejudice that the Irish are stupid. Shame on you, you are outed as prejudiced on the basis of ethnicity !

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:31pm
Paddy is planning to marry, he is, and asks his family doctor how he could tell if his bride-to-be is still a virgin. His doctor says, "Aye, Paddy, all Irish use three things for what we call a Do-It-Yourself.... Virginity Test Kit.... a small can of red paint, a small can of blue paint and a shovel." Paddy asks, "Aye, and what do I do with these things, doctor?" The doctor replies, "Before ye climb into bed on your wedding night, you paint one of your balls red and the other ball blue. If she says, "That's the strangest pair of balls I ever did see...", you hit her with the shovel.'

Posted By: Baguette
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:33pm
I believe the modern mania of dividing people up into boxes based on race , sexuality or gender is crazy and just about guaranteed to ensure that not only absolutely nothing practical gets done but causes a lot of resentment . Surely nobody really believes that people of colour are actually deeply offended every time they are in the cheese section at the supermarket or buying their kids lollies. Really?? Society is not made up of white supremacists versus the woke political correct . Both are a tiny but very noisy minority. Most people , no matter their race sexuality or gender , are in the middle and just want a bit of common sense. And actual practical solutions to problems . Changing the brand name of a cheese achieves nothing but is so silly it makes people just switch off and not want to listen about racial problems.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:41pm

They were slaves to their perceived (by others) shortcomings, TJ, and still are, and I don't see that changing, discrimination being inherent to all human decision making. Chauvinisms of all kinds, and that is what racial identifications are, are a bar to psychological growth, which rusty imagines he has grown into. Think of all those Irish jokes you laughed at, that depend on the prejudice that the Irish are stupid. Shame on you, you are outed as prejudiced on the basis of ethnicity !

I'm Irish Big smile

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:43pm
I suspect changing the brand name of a cheese achieved far more than you can care about and it has nothing to do with racism. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:44pm
Spot on, as usual, Baguette, there are niche industries that have grown up around exploiting extremist viewpoints, such is the activist "career" of the chronically (but phonily) offended. The market is those who get off on the idea they are morally superior. Put to the test, they'd be as selfish as anyone else, if not more, people who are at pains to advertise their being "good guys" frequently turn out to be nothing of the kind.

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:56pm
2020 HSC Clear Thinking exam question 4:  Explain in less than 200 words whether a statement such as "Donald and Boris are total d!ckheads" constitutes an example of political incorrectness at its worst, or rather represents an example of the unalienable right to freedom of expression.

Your time starts now.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:13pm
The entire PC industry is predicated on the assumption that people have to be muzzled, or something quite terrible is bound to happen. It is a bankrupt philosophy, if you suppress something like that, it will be expressed in other, quite possibly more damaging ways. 

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:02pm
Brow beating people into behaving the PC way, does not work, the answer is an education system not only tailored to produce people to fit economic models, but principles of citizenship, something seemingly long abandoned.

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:06pm

Brow beating people into behaving the PC way, does not work,

No it doesn’t but it sure makes that brow beaters chest puff out with their sense of superiority and eliteism 

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:21pm

Right-wingnuts do a pretty good line in indignation themselves. Fox/Sky would be dead air without it. What can I be outraged about today?Angry Spend most of their time getting their knickers in a knot over the most trivia things, like this. 

Don't know, I have more than a sneaking suspicion that the hand-wringers have instilled into the minds of some young indigenes, let's be kind and say "unwittingly", the notion that it is get-square time, and that has produced casualties, even deaths. In fact, I'd back it in to hot favourite.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:26pm

I'm Irish Big smile
OK, well give us your best Irish joke.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:32pm

Don't know, I have more than a sneaking suspicion that the hand-wringers have instilled into the minds of some young indigenes, let's be kind and say "unwittingly", the notion that it is get-square time, and that has produced casualties, even deaths. In fact, I'd back it in to hot favourite.
Oh fiddlesticks, why don’t we just drive them all into the ocean, to save all the arguments.....

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:35pm
No rusty, I have no such sentiment, but I am very confident that the get-square mentality is all too real, with some. But that's what happens when you promote racial distinctions. Shouldn't even be under discussion.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:08pm
Very easy for a middle class white person......

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:17pm
So the narrative goes, rusty, but plenty of indigenous people are not in line with the aboriginal industry, which if anything, has only inflamed divisions. Just the other day I was talking to an aboriginal elder, who frankly admitted the elders have little to no influence over the young. This is what happens when you have do-gooder urgers playing up to a sense of grievance, by all means address legitimate grievance, but don't enshrine it as a debt to be kept on the books into perpetuity. Naturally, that is just what the aboriginal industry wants, eternal shame to keep drawing on.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:34pm

I'm Irish Big smile
OK, well give us your best Irish joke.

magadh

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:43pm
No idea what that means, TJ

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:44pm
means joke in Irish

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:59pm
Ermm

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:00pm
Here is an Irish Joke

A married Irishman went into the confessional and said to his priest, "I almost had an affair with another woman."

The priest said, "What do you mean, almost?"

The Irishman said, "Well, we got undressed and rubbed together, but then I stopped."

The priest said, "Rubbing together is the same as putting it in. You're not to see that woman again. For your penance, say five Hail Mary's and put $50 in the poor box."

The Irishman left the confessional, said his prayers, and then walked over to the poor box.

He paused for a moment and then started to leave.

The priest, who was watching, quickly ran over to him saying, "I saw that. You didn't put any money in the poor box!"

The Irishman replied, "Yeah, but I rubbed the $50 on the box, and according to you, that's the same as putting it in!"

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:23pm

Ermm

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:35pm

So the narrative goes, rusty, but plenty of indigenous people are not in line with the aboriginal industry, which if anything, has only inflamed divisions. Just the other day I was talking to an aboriginal elder, who frankly admitted the elders have little to no influence over the young. This is what happens when you have do-gooder urgers playing up to a sense of grievance, by all means address legitimate grievance, but don't enshrine it as a debt to be kept on the books into perpetuity. Naturally, that is just what the aboriginal industry wants, eternal shame to keep drawing on.
You call him a coon?

Cos he wouldn’t mind that, if he’s not a loud mouthed activist, right?

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:37pm
I do have Irish ancestry to some degree, if I was either proud or ashamed of it, I would be pretty silly. I mean, some people are dumb enough to pride themselves on having a convict ancestor, scraping the bottom of the barrel there.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:26pm
I’ve got a few convicts in my family tree, including two Irish convicts. I agree pride is silly but I love their stories. Only one of them was a total waste of space loser. The others did very well for themselves. Though I wish they had showed better foresight for real estate values. One of my ancestors owned five acres of land at Hunters Hill in Sydney. Another owned 100 acres right in the best horse country in the Hunter Valley. Both were sold for a pittance around the time of federation.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:19am
I’ll admit this guy doesn’t help.....
dressmaker

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/indigenous-people-should-have-been-consulted-on-new-coon-cheese-name-20210113-p56try.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/indigenous-people-should-have-been-consulted-on-new-coon-cheese-name-20210113-p56try.html

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 9:58am
I too have convict ancestors, and like Baguette I wish they had more real estate sense. LOL  One of mine had 50 acres slap dab in the middle of the Liverpool Plains.  With the option to buy more.  Didnt.  Inherited by a grandson who wasted it away.
Nothing wrong with a convict or a nice bit of Coon Cheese.  When you consider that man,s name was Coon. 
Will they change the name of the racoon and the main coon cat now ????

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:12am
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

I’ll admit this guy doesn’t help.....
dressmaker

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/indigenous-people-should-have-been-consulted-on-new-coon-cheese-name-20210113-p56try.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/indigenous-people-should-have-been-consulted-on-new-coon-cheese-name-20210113-p56try.html
This is a large part of the problem with indigenous "politics", a dearth of anyone in the ranks who could be called a leader, instead you get pathetic whiners like this bloke. The only aboriginal spokespeople that seem able to be impressive advocates, are women. And I'd say the blokes don't want them leading the way.

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:20am
Thats very true Max.  Some of the women are amazing , and make good spokes people and leaders.   Some of the men are pretty dismal.  The women just seem  to be able to speak better , and they see flaws the grumpy old men dont. 

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:47am
It’s not a problem Max it’s just indicative of Indigenous Society pre-colonial down to the present day. Nobody speaks for indigenous Australians and never have. It’s not the way their society worked . Anyone can stand up and claim to be an Indigenous spokesperson but how many people agree with them and they speak for is anyone’s guess. I’ve always believed if we want to improve things it has to be done at a local level . Local Indigenous elder working with local authorities to sort out their own unique problems.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:29am
Dr Hagen's claims make sense. It does seem odd that an Australian cheese maker would name it's product after an obscure American unknown to Australians.Wink

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:34am
We wanted to ensure we listened to all the concerns surrounding the Coon brand name, while also considering comments from consumers who cherish the brand and recognise the origin of its founder Edward William Coon, which they feel connected to," it said.

Pull the other one.LOL

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:34am
Mr Hagen seems unconcerned about the widespread misuse of the word "maggot" by aboriginals, heard it many times and in many places. Not directed specifically at me, but I've lost count of the times I have heard it used. Must be OK, I suppose, it is probably part of the culture.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:40am
I'd take short odds that back in the day the cheese maker deliberately used what they knew was a racial slur.WinkWink

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:43am
I seem to recall there was reference to that Coon chappy and his cheese-making process on the label, at some stage. I really can't see how a racial slur would assist sales.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:46am
It is a very long time since the "Nigger Boy" soap pads, which was a scourer for dishwashing purposes, was changed to "Bigger Boy". The cheese name is rather less unambiguous.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:59am
Never heard of those. That's...that's a name..

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:07pm
It is indeed  a racist who thinks the name of a cheese is racist.
I’ve bought the cheese for many years and the thought never crossed my mind

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:12pm
They weren't all as enlightened as you back in the 1930s.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:13pm
What 
, are you that old?

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:16pm

I seem to recall there was reference to that Coon chappy and his cheese-making process on the label, at some stage. I really can't see how a racial slur would assist sales.

They never would have used that name in Australia if they didn't think it increased sales.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:18pm
The most important thing here that we all seemed to have gotten away from is that Cheer Cheese is a terrible name LOL

Why not just call it CHEESE

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:21pm
This Dr Hagan is a long time litigant.
On top of his successful campaign to rename Coon Cheese to Cheer Cheese, although with that re-naming he is still not happy, back in 1999 he went to Federal Court, then the High Court and finally to the United Nations to rename the E.S. "Nigger" Brown grandstand in Toowoomba. The grandstand was named after a famous non -indigenous rugby player in Toowoomba whose nickname was "Nigger".  He sought $10,000 for "hurt and suffering " over the naming of that grandstand. In 2008 the grandstand was demolished. 
In 2013 he sued the National Indigenous Times for unfair dismissal, that was part of the reason two years later that paper went into administration .
In June 2020, it was reported that Hagan would sue Coles Express  for racial discrimination following an incident at a service station in Townsville where he was asked to pre-pay for fuel. He stated that two white drivers at the same time had not been required to do so
Now in 2021 Dr Hagan is pursuing legal damages of $2.1 million for what he says has been 21 years of corporations undermining his claims that the cheese brand was not named after American cheesemaker Edward William Coon.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:22pm
The aboriginal industry isn't at all enlightened in 2021, as I have mentioned, it has a vested interest in promoting ideas that keep the notion of grievance in the spotlight, the end of grievance is the end of the industry, and the metric I use to assess the state of affairs, is the gravity of the grievances being spotlighted, and they appear to me to have about as much substance ( as with the cheese) as fairy floss. That speaks volumes for the fact that discrimination is not really an issue, and if certain aboriginals are being discriminated against, it is largely, as MLK alluded to, on the content of their character. Only a fool would not perceive that some scoundrels who are out and out criminals, play the race card as their defence. They are being persecuted for being black, and that is what put them in jail. I don't believe police make work for themselves by locking up people who haven't committed crimes, they already have enough to do.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:29pm

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:30pm

The most important thing here that we all seemed to have gotten away from is that Cheer Cheese is a terrible name LOL

Why not just call it CHEESE

Every brand of cheese must have a brand name to distinguish from other brands. Would you just buy beer, without knowing its brand?

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:43pm
Not everything is to be taken literally 

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:50pm
Dr Hagan is not sure what the new name, Cheer, stands for. "I would have liked it to be something a bit more inclusive of First Nations people," he said. "We weren’t even consulted on names. We would like to have contributed."
What is this Dr Hagan on about ? The renaming of Coon cheese has nothing to do about the First Nation people, it is cheese nothing more nothing less. The brand name of any product, subject to patents and is not offensive etc , is the sole right of the manufacturer not some organisation , whether they be of religious, activist. political, sporting or whatever group of  "would be"  influencers.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:55pm
You could be forgiven for thinking Hagen is a fifth-columnist planted to set the "cause" back 50 years. I would have called the cheese Heeeeeeeyyyy !

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

It’s not a problem Max it’s just indicative of Indigenous Society pre-colonial down to the present day. Nobody speaks for indigenous Australians and never have. It’s not the way their society worked . Anyone can stand up and claim to be an Indigenous spokesperson but how many people agree with them and they speak for is anyone’s guess. I’ve always believed if we want to improve things it has to be done at a local level . Local Indigenous elder working with local authorities to sort out their own unique problems.
There certainly wasn't an aboriginal "nation" as such, not at time of white settlement anyway, and that may account for the lack of leadership figures, it would be difficult to gain wide approval. There were great differences between different areas, and limited intercourse between various tribes. I recall reading many years ago of early settlers in FNQ encountering pygmy-size tribes of aboriginals in the dense scrubs, I have never heard anything more about that. I guess the only people who would have cared about their fate, would have been those people, the neighbouring tribes living in more open country, probably were and still are indifferent to them.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:10pm

Nah! Fake document according to some 

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:30pm

They never would have used that name in Australia if they didn't think it increased sales.
Supposition. You would have to follow a trail of evidence that in all likelihood no longer exists, to establish what the situation was, it may have been a licenced name and processing method.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:40pm
No max, you can just project what you want to be situation onto it and claim it as fact. It’s a TVV traitLOL

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:44pm
It may have been the case that to use the patented process, the name "Coon" had to be on the label. certainly it was a household name for many years, and abandonment of the name for any reason, would have been a very poor business decision. Today of course it is just another brand in a sea of competition.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 6:03pm

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 7:07pm
The Cheersawarra Cup was actually run today. Won by Skillful Steps fwiw

Race 7 - 4:30PM Coonawarra Vignerons Cup (1700 METRES)

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 9:32am
The decision on the name change of Coon is a backward one, so should it have been renamed Nooc cheese. Everybody would still remember it as Coon, just backwards. Nooc cheese anyone ?

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:17am
It is a classic case of "if that's the worst you have to complain about, you ain't got much to complain about". I am completely jack of hearing people who are not even recognizably of indigenous extraction, banging on with their micro-grievances, all it does is reinforce the notion of a culture of whinging. No wonder I heard so many times in the past, the expression "ginning around", a reference to people over-occupying themselves with trivialities, it may indeed be part of the culture. How about a commitment from some of these people to prevail on young indigenes to desist from crime, in which they are very heavily over-represented. All I hear, is silence, on that front. The young take absolutely no notice of aboriginal elders, so what use is it, in talking about this culture and its elders ? If there are "problems" in race relations, and their certainly are, I am not buying this BS narrative that just one side has to take responsibility for it.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:53am
Max, the silent majority of the community, other than the vocal woke, will agree with you

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 11:13am
The silent majority.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 11:17am
Yes, the silent majority. rather than the vocal minority.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 11:18am
The right's unicorn.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 11:22am
The silent majority line is always good for a laugh. No one has yet been able to explain how they are able to ascertain the opinion of people who are silent about their beliefs nor how they know they represent a majority of the population.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net