Print Page | Close Window

Funny Memories from Racings Past

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=66124
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 5:48pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Funny Memories from Racings Past
Posted By: oneonesit
Subject: Funny Memories from Racings Past
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:06pm
Following the banter from the Morrison thread - this probably deserves its own thread. Lots of old racing characters like Baghdad, Rusty & Fee that should tell their stories

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Replies:
Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:08pm
Absolutely deserves its own thread! I have some good ones but might wait to see what direction this thread goes before I disclose.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:09pm
Little things stick i my mind from those days - how all the punters where bright & bushy tailed walking in the course - & shoulders slumped kicking the ground walking out. Classic LOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:11pm
& the ever present Salvo's with their tins in-hand. Remember my dear old Dad commenting one day that they stand at racecourse entrances - but not outside churches LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:19pm
I remember a protest being upheld at Rosehill one day - i saw it coming a mile off. Bugger me if i didn't see a $20 win ticket on the runner up staring at me on the ground. Couldn't pick it up quick enough. Think it was worth $120 - a decent quid for me back then. The Milky Bars where on me ! Ended up at Wenty Park that night via a Chinese restaurant. Lost the lot in the end - but had a ball with my mates LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:25pm
Another night when i was based in Melbourne i took my father-in-law (old tight scottish non-punter) out to the Sandown mutts on a Thursday night. It was just one of those one in a million nights when when i backed winner after winner. Filled up every pocket that both he & I had on us - he couldn't believe it. Had no idea how much I'd won - but just dropped it all on the double bed (with Mrs in it). Close to $3000 - again - a lot of money for a young bloke in the 80's. 

-------------

Posted By: max manewer
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:29pm
That reminds me of the time I was at Ipswich, and a good ten minutes after a Victorian race, the call came through "hold all tickets" on the race. Next thing you know, the beaten hot favourite was declared a non-runner. I looked at the ground in front of me, and saw a $200 tote ticket on it, discarded. It was early in the day, and there were very few tickets lying around, which helped, but then a scramble started, and a few people got trifecta tickets refunds and what not. People were able to submit claims for lost tickets, but I never heard of anyone getting paid, the cleaning contractors would have sifted through them. It reminds of the old days of the "emus", who would enter the course late in the day with a sugar bag, and fill it with discarded tote-tickets, many of which would be worth money because of exotics with late scratchings. For some, it was their living, going through those tickets with Sunday's paper race results.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I remember a protest being upheld at Rosehill one day - i saw it coming a mile off. Bugger me if i didn't see a $20 win ticket on the runner up staring at me on the ground. Couldn't pick it up quick enough. Think it was worth $120 - a decent quid for me back then. The Milky Bars where on me ! Ended up at Wenty Park that night via a Chinese restaurant. Lost the lot in the end - but had a ball with my mates LOL

Should have known you’d be an emu OneOne! LOL

I made a visit to Sydney with a mate one Easter about 20 years ago. Doncaster/Derby Day on the Saturday. I remember he forgot a tie so we went down the road from our hotel to Paddies Market where he managed to find one with cartoon cows in different sex positions for $5 or $10. Got out there and straight onto it big time. We ended up climbing over the approx 50cm gap between the public and members stands up on one of the upper levels. No idea how but no one said a word and we just continued on the booze in one of the members bars. 

Had a handy day out on the punt despite Sunline going down a neck to Over so we ended up kicking on at Wenty Park for the Golden Easter Egg. I couldn’t believe the betting ring. There would have been dozens of bookies fielding. Was a great night. I remember they had one of those motorised miniature car rides for some off track entertainment which of course we had to have a go of. My mate got on no problem but I was told to piss off. Too drunk. Probably a good thing as I ended up falling over, slumped in the big inflatable tube around the outside.

Good times!

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:37pm
Used to be an organised gang Max that would collect the rubbish bags early morning from the front of TABs daily - take it back to a central address & have people sort the losing tickets. Anytime a protest was upheld / or a race abandonment they had a good day. Very profitable i believe. All came to an end when the tickets where scanned to collect - so you would not know if it had been collected or not 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:50pm
One of my sadest punting experiences - started getting into betting on American sports about 10 years ago. Was having a really bad trot & loaded up on a College football game - one of those combined bets paying $3.50. I had team A at plus 8.5 / under combined score of 66.5 (or something like that). Anyhow was home & hosed with my team in front by 7 with next to no points being scored for the game. Other team scored in the last minute - score 14 all at fulltime (total 28 points). Still not worried as i had plus 8.5 on the line - so that couldn't lose - & 38 points up my sleeve on the total. Well bugger me - if they didn't go touchdown for touchdown in O/T to score another 42 points. And the worst thing about it i could see it coming  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:50pm
One thing I noticed from when I was a kid and taken to the races, was the amount of drinking, they would be tapping kegs every few minutes, it seemed, but I cannot recall any brawls erupting, certainly not ones that persisted. What does that say, I wonder.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:51pm
Suggest you didnt go often enough Max

-------------

Posted By: rusty nails
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:52pm
Years ago my teenage brother picked up a wad of tickets on the ground at Menangle trots, pretty much just to see how close the losing punter was.

As he checked them on his way to the ring he’d discard them.
They were all $10 r2r doubles on the same combination.
1st leg won, 2nd leg beaten in photo.
Just as he threw the last ticket away, came the announcement...hold all tickets!
He scrambled back, could only find 6/10 tickets.
Protest upheld, each ticket was worth $120.
It was more money than he’d ever seen in his life!

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:53pm
No, I was there quite a few times, I didn't see the sort of trouble that is common today. And security would consist of one or two coppers wandering around.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:55pm
I went to Ipswich Cup day in the early 2000's, and it was brawls galore, and hordes of security people. Not a good advert for the area.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:58pm
I'd suggest, 1-1, than many of those heavy drinkers in the 60's racetrack bars, were WW2 vets, and had seen enough of violence.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

I went to Ipswich Cup day in the early 2000's, and it was brawls galore, and hordes of security people. Not a good advert for the area.

Ipswich Cup I’m not surprised when you consider the demographics of the area. I remember a story of maybe 15 years ago they had that huge inflatable “Mr Forex” mascot in the infield on Ipswich Cup day. Air taken out at the end of the day but was pinched before someone could come and collect it the next morning. 

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:03pm
No doubt Max the focus in the old days was punting first / drinking second. These days the opposite. Almost encourage patrons to get pie eyed these days. So much for Responsible Drinking - & Gambling - load of cobblers.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:03pm
One bloke had four coppers and security blokes holding him while he head-butted the wall, real racetrack atmosphere there.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:04pm
I have a few great Bong Bong stories - know that was just pure debauchery LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:05pm

& a few Melbourne Cup Cruises LOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:06pm
I actually ALMOST got to the track on one of them !

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:07pm
I think that was the day the big crowd overflowed from the women' toilet, and the "ladies" were attempting to urinate into the urinals in the men's toilet, in numbers, no-one seemed to mind. Some were quite athletic in their endeavours.

Posted By: Baghdad Bob
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:10pm
I knew a punter who had a large commission to get set. Rather than take the best odds he went around the ring taking lesser odds. The bookies treated him as a mug, they reasoned only a mug who would take 16/1 when the bookie would see 20/1 on the rails. He always got his entire commission on, whereas if he had taken the top odds ( 20/1 ) his market at the lesser odds ( 16/1 ) would have soon been the top odds and he probably would not have got his entire commission set.

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:14pm
This isn't laugh out loud stuff, but anyway...

There'd been a series of teleprinter odds delays at previous Canberra meetings, causing bookies to get burnt.  The suggestion being that people involved in the printer service were deliberately delaying transmission until after their associates had got on big shorteners at inflated prices.

So all the usual suspects showed up this particular Saturday afternoon, those in the know undoubtedly anticipating another good day, only to find that bookmakers were betting even-money the entire field on Melbourne and Sydney races until such time as the odds service was provided on a regular and timely basis.

Needless to say there was very nearly a riot, however words must have been said at the appropriate places because the service did improve considerably at later meetings.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:18pm
talking of commissions, a bloke I knew was to be part of an organized plunge on a first-starter, which later became a Stradbroke winner. He was given his allotted stake money, and was told not to bet before some pre-arranged signal came. Money started to be piled on the horse, but the signal did not come. Meanwhile, the horse had shortened to prohibitive odds. He then learnt that the money that had come, was not the stable money, and accordingly, the horse "won't be winning today". The jockey,  a well known rider, was given the new riding instructions, and it did not feature.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:18pm
Always remember the struggle to get a decent price e/w with the bookies when their was a short priced favourite in the race. I understand why - however it was always a mad scramble whenever you found one that let you on at a decent price

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:26pm

I remember one Melbourne Cup day at Flemington, 2008 from memory and in the 45min before the Cup Simon Beasley must have had some kind malfunction on his board because he had his place odds set at 1 point less than the win price for every runner in the field. IE Something at $11 the win was $10 the place. I was about half way through backing the entire field the place when some imbecile alerted him to it. Told him straight up his mistake. So dont assume that punters will always think of themselves, particularly if they aren’t intelligent enough to take advantage of something.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:26pm
Re Max's story we had one in at Canberra, considered it extremely hard to beat, and backed it accordingly.

As the trainer gave his instructions, jockey Ted Doon simply looked at us all and said "It's not your turn today" and nodded in the direction of another runner.

We rushed back to the ring and took unders on the "pea" given those in the know had already gone on, but we did manage to break near enough to square when it duly saluted.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:31pm
At a provincial track, the opening call came though, on an interstate race, which was duly put up on the bookies boards. Unfortunately the market % being only 60 or 70%, did not alert one bookie that there might be a problem with it, and as some bloke stepped forward to claim the 25/1 about one runner, another punter warned the bookie that the prices were wrong, and he then declined to accept the bet. I would say that punter might have gone to the betting steward over the matter, but did not. The next call came through, and it was revealed the 25/1 pop should have been 2-5. ($1.40). I am a little bit ambivalent about that failed transaction, if the first call had been 2 to 5, and then the next call was 25/1, would the bookie have changed the odds for that punter ? I doubt it.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:33pm
I was once guilty of accidently throwing away a lot of winning tickets many years ago and if they were not cashed on the track they could be cashed on the Monday morning at ATL's CBD office. As I knew I had bought all the tickets at the one terminal I knew the terminal number on the tickets and details of all the winning tickets. As the ATL office did not open until 10am I rang the office at 9am and got them to put a stopper on all the tickets. At the ATL office at 10.01am in walked an emu to get paid on all the winning tickets. The staff told him he had no legal right to the winnings and could be prosecuted for financial deception, but as the rightful owner, me, was happy to get my money I would offer him $ 500 for his troubles. He readily accepted the $500 and I spoke to him about the next time I saw him and we a had a laugh about it.
I cannot remember the value of all the tickets but think it was in excess of $10,000.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:34pm
& how about when you would play smart & stand in the ring for 20 min to get the best price - only to find the price go out another 10% 5 min later Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:35pm
or your girlfriend would have a tote ticket with a better price return OuchOuch

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Re Max's story we had one in at Canberra, considered it extremely hard to beat, and backed it accordingly.

As the trainer gave his instructions, jockey Ted Doon simply looked at us all and said "It's not your turn today" and nodded in the direction of another runner.

We rushed back to the ring and took unders on the "pea" given those in the know had already gone on, but we did manage to break near enough to square when it duly saluted.
A fairly common occurrence, SC, and a commendable courtesy by the jockey to steer you the right way. I knew a bloke who told much the same story, "Your horse isn't fancied, but make sure you back x " Too bad he had already backed his horse, but a winner is a winner.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

I was once guilty of accidently throwing away a lot of winning tickets many years ago and if they were not cashed on the track they could be cashed on the Monday morning at ATL's CBD office. As I knew I had bought all the tickets at the one terminal I knew the terminal number on the tickets and details of all the winning tickets. As the ATL office did not open until 10am I rang the office at 9am and got them to put a stopper on all the tickets. At the ATL office at 10.01am in walked an emu to get paid on all the winning tickets. The staff told him he had no legal right to the winnings and could be prosecuted for financial deception, but as the rightful owner, me, was happy to get my money I would offer him $ 500 for his troubles. He readily accepted the $500 and I spoke to him about the next time I saw him and we a had a laugh about it.
I cannot remember the value of all the tickets but think it was in excess of $10,000.
It sounds like you were "the fox" long before Addo-Carr  LOL

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:40pm

At a provincial track, the opening call came though, on an interstate race, which was duly put up on the bookies boards. Unfortunately the market % being only 60 or 70%, did not alert one bookie that there might be a problem with it, and as some bloke stepped forward to claim the 25/1 about one runner, another punter warned the bookie that the prices were wrong, and he then declined to accept the bet. I would say that punter might have gone to the betting steward over the matter, but did not. The next call came through, and it was revealed the 25/1 pop should have been 2-5. ($1.40). I am a little bit ambivalent about that failed transaction, if the first call had been 2 to 5, and then the next call was 25/1, would the bookie have changed the odds for that punter ? I doubt it.

I was at Doomben one day in the early 2000s with a couple of mates when a late scratching came through. Favourite was out at x:xxpm, bookmakers rule a line. Well one of them just kept betting. 5 minutes later and the favourite was still in. Well that was enough and we jumped on a few that we liked one of which won. He tried but the reminder about the betting steward was enough for him to give up any deductions fairly quickly. 

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:41pm

You must find it slightly amusing reading all the boffins up in the purist area of TBV rattling on about breeding / performance / training / riding - & you fess up to knowing nothing other than a knack for basic mathematics & have made a successful living out of it. Very clever  LOL I know it makes me wonder where I've gone wrong Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:48pm
Max, on the racetrack I did not come down in the last rain shower, but like others I was not always that clever away from the track. I accepted dud cheques from some people outside of racing, got pinched for speeding to country tracks, initially lost money on the stock market, overpaid for renovations on my home, but overall I have few regrets. Like others of my age my health over rides any other issues, except my family.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:52pm

You must find it slightly amusing reading all the boffins up in the purist area of TBV rattling on about breeding / performance / training / riding - & you fess up to knowing nothing other than a knack for basic mathematics & have made a successful living out of it. Very clever  LOL I know it makes me wonder where I've gone wrong Ouch

Mate I never read any of it because it has never interested me.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:52pm
Must say though Bob it seemed you missed the beast part about punting. That is doing your arse , not knowing where your next meal is coming from - only to borrow a quid that results in you punting your way out. Few on here would know what I'm talking about LOLLOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:53pm

Mate I never read any of it because it has never interested me.
And there it is folks - classic LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:54pm

Always remember the struggle to get a decent price e/w with the bookies when their was a short priced favourite in the race. I understand why - however it was always a mad scramble whenever you found one that let you on at a decent price
Some bookies would almost always bet each-way, at competitive win odds, to keep faith with a clientele of each-way punters. One bookie told me the each-way bettors "lasted longer", meaning went broke more slowly I suppose, as there would be races where the place portion of the transaction was at losing figures for the bookie. I once saw a bookie betting on a Wenty dog race, each-way, where there were two dogs totally dominating the market, and the rest were 33/1 to 100/1. most were 66/1, from memory. A quick calculation and it was realised you could stake the remaining six to be winning, no matter what happened. You might even get two of the roughies into a place. 

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 1:55pm

but, but its not bred to run the distance Baghdad - & it gets bogged down in the wet  LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:01pm
Had a stint working in NZ in the late 70's. They had no bookies on-course - all tote. However they had some interesting bet types - used to have concession dividends if your horse ran 2nd in the second leg of a double. They were quite innovative early days

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:03pm

Must say though Bob it seemed you missed the beast part about punting. That is doing your arse , not knowing where your next meal is coming from - only to borrow a quid that results in you punting your way out. Few on here would know what I'm talking about LOLLOLLOL
I remember a fella telling me he attended the Albion Park races as a young fella, probably the 60's, and placed everything he had left in his pocket, on the last race of the day. No return. He then had not even the bus fare home, which forced him to walk all the way to Cribb Island, a now extinct suburb that was swallowed up by Brisbane airport extensions. That would have been a 10 kilometre walk, and the exercise convinced him to quit betting thenceforth.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:04pm

I remember a fella telling me he attended the Albion Park races as a young fella, probably the 60's, and placed everything he had left in his pocket, on the last race of the day. No return. He then had not even the bus fare home, which forced him to walk all the way to Cribb Island, a now extinct suburb that was swallowed up by Brisbane airport extensions. That would have been a 10 kilometre walk, and the exercise convinced him to quit betting thenceforth.

Sounds like a quitter to me! LOL

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:07pm

Had a stint working in NZ in the late 70's. They had no bookies on-course - all tote. However they had some interesting bet types - used to have concession dividends if your horse ran 2nd in the second leg of a double. They were quite innovative early days
We might have to depend on Bob to explain how that would work. in a tote setting, it isn't immediately obvious to me.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:07pm
How about the original law when the tote was legalised. I think there was a Royal Commission based around it (the Kinsella Commission). Couldn't have a betting shop within 1 mile of a pub , club or school. TABS were strictly bet & go - could not let people congregate inside. Deary me - haven't things changed. For the better ? - that's open for debate ! 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:09pm
1+1 some of the smartest, fast thinking and practical mathematicians I have come across were on the race track. Remember those were the days before even hand-held calculators. One bloke even used a slide rule to calculate the odds from the sheet with the TAB holdings on each horse stuck outside the tote, but he was a bit slow and missed getting a good position in the tote queue.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:11pm
He was a goner if he took a position behind you, BB

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:12pm

How about the original law when the tote was legalised. I think there was a Royal Commission based around it (the Kinsella Commission). Couldn't have a betting shop within 1 mile of a pub , club or school. TABS were strictly bet & go - could not let people congregate inside. Deary me - haven't things changed. For the better ? - that's open for debate ! 
I don't recall any chairs in the early TAB shops.

Posted By: horlicks
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:12pm

We might have to depend on Bob to explain how that would work. in a tote setting, it isn't immediately obvious to me.

The doubles pool was simply split, 70% to winner and 30% to second.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:14pm
The NSW TAB started in 1964. Betting shops typically had upto 10 staff behind the counter taking bets / manually collating tickets / & forwarding to a central source for final dividend determination. This central source employed hundreds. Turnover then would be miniscule compared to now. And yet the take-out rates have almost doubled since then (primarily exotics). Hard to believe.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:15pm

I don't recall any chairs in the early TAB shops.
Furniture was not allowed. Nor was the radio

-------------

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:15pm
First time we went to Chantilly with a group of about 10 of us.   Got ourselves all set up with tables and stools next to the rails, bin, and bar.   But we didnt understand the French way, and I still dont.  But something along the lines of.  If an owner has more than 1 runner in each race, and you bet on 1 of them, but the other one wins, you get a collect.  Now, at Chantilly the Aga Khan nearly always has at least 2 and sometimes 3 or 4 , in  a race.  Towards the end of the day and our bin overflowing, we were finally told about this.
Here were 10 very well dressed Australians sitting on the ground going thru the bin !  Think we didnt get some looks.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:17pm
OK horlicks, so you got a div for running second, not a refund. Could it be less than the stake ?

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:25pm

That would depend on whether a dividend is declared for the runner up in the second leg or there is a simple refund of the bet.  

Refund of Runner up : I probably think after the rake was taken from the gross pool all money on the runner up would have refunded and the balance of the net pool would be divided by the number of winning bets to declare a dividend on the winner.

Separate Dividend for Runner Up: Once the rake is taken from the gross pool a certain percentage , say 25%, of the net pool may have been allocated to those who backed the runner up and the remaining 75 % of the net pool would have been distributed to those who backed the second leg winner to declare a dividend.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:28pm
Attended the Warrnambool Cup carnival for many years, sometimes staying with trainer Jocka Baillie who trained both a Warrnambool Cup and Grand Annual Steeple winner.  Once I offered to pay for my keep. but he said grab those shears and cut the heads off that large flock of ganders we're preparing to roast for a wedding reception!  The geese went down all right, but yours truly was covered with blood and wounds by the time I finished.  Said "Jocka if you expect me to pluck those buggers you can get well and truly st*ffed".  But I digress.

There'd be thousands there of course, and perhaps 50 bookies divided between the members and the public area.  When something was backed in the members there'd be a beg-no-pardons stampede for the public area to try and get on before the word got out there.  Blokes would fall @rse over trying to hurdle the fence to avoid the crush at the entry gate.  All to get an added point or two.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:29pm
Sounds like the latter, BB, going on horlicks reply. At least they showed some imagination with those bet types, unlike the imbeciles at Tabcorp, and their "spinner" and "Odds and Evens and Split", which I do not believe God will allow to go unpunished ! Tongue

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:29pm

He was a goner if he took a position behind you, BB

That's true because all of my betting was done only after I accessed that sheet outside the tote and because my staking was based as close as possible to SP price I only bet in the last 5 minutes before a race.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:38pm
Do you punt at all anymore Baghdad ?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:38pm

There'd be thousands there of course, and perhaps 50 bookies divided between the members and the public area.  When something was backed in the members there'd be a beg-no-pardons stampede for the public area to try and get on before the word got out there.  Blokes would fall @rse over trying to hurdle the fence to avoid the crush at the entry gate.  All to get an added point or two.

that sort of thing did happen with detached separate rings, I suppose less so today, but I know of people being black-balled for running between rings, bowling people over in the process. Or at least warned to desist, or be banned. One bloke got into a huff and didn't come back to the races after being warned. just common sense, someone will get hurt sooner or later, I believe this is the reason betting on photo finishes was stopped, people would camp on the finish line, then dash to the ring, in the event of a photo, which in those days took a little while to be judged upon. And of course, the crowds were big in those days.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:54pm

OK horlicks, so you got a div for running second, not a refund. Could it be less than the stake ?

I never saw it happen Max but I suspect it was possible.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:57pm
Another "innovation" in those days (60's) in NZ was the treble which was only available at the TAB and not on course.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:57pm
I remember an old guy telling me about his days of betting on the photo finishes, which he did well out of, over several years, until as I mentioned, it was stopped. He only bet at one track, where he lined up the mirror with a post along the outside running rail, he adjudged that line to be the actual finish line, that then ran through to the judge's box, perched high atop a skeletal framework. His mistakes were very rare, but I recall him saying he got it twice wrong, in one day, probably two of a handfull over several years. This was circa 1950, and he would sometimes stake 200 quid on a photo, which was a lot of money in those days, but the bookies would bet, albeit sometimes very slender odds. They tended to trust the race caller of the day, and if he was confident, you might be taking 1-10 or shorter. How did he make the costly mistake twice in one day ? He was convinced a gale-force wind blowing parallel to the finish straight, had changed the line, by the judge's box tower bending like a tree in a strong breeze. Rightly or wrongly, he never bet again when those same conditions applied.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:03pm
And while we're at Warrnambool, a long lifetime ago....

Apprentice Louis "the fly" Toth had his indentures transferred to (Jack Barling?) at the 'Bool.  Was shown to a tiny room with just a small cupboard and an iron framed bed.  No reticulated water at the stables, horses being hosed down on-course. 

Louis' first comment: "suppose a bloke's gotta join the local footy club to get a decent shower around here."

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:10pm

Do you punt at all anymore Baghdad ?
No, I cannot see where there is any value. When I went on track the on course market most reflected the probability of horses winning, it was the more efficient market, and the TAB had more mug money and was the less efficient market. By going on track to some obscure meetings the variance in those two markets was even more apparent and I took advantage of that.

Today as far as I am aware there is only one market , the fixed price corporate bookies and the tote market, which by the time a race starts they are no different. With syndicates using computers to directly download thousands of exotic bets into the TAB computers any advantages that was previously in those markets has now been eroded . I believe those syndicates are happy even to loss a small percentage on their turnover, which of course I would be little different, to pick up the rebates on their turnover so betting for me would be a waste of time as the mathematical advantage I once had does not exist.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:17pm
A long-time "overs" player told me his best year was 1983, like a lot of these people, he stuck around too long hoping for the return of the "good old days", BB obviously saw the writing on the wall earlier than many. The combination of circumstances that allow winning opportunities, tend not to last, and one must adapt, or vacate the field. 

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:30pm
There are still plenty of opportunities to profit, you just need to look harder. Just today I came across a market on an MMA fight that occurred this afternoon and between the different books you could arb the result. One was betting $2.80 while another had the other fighter at $1.60. I was happy to empty a couple of accounts for a small profit. 

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:32pm
The Trump race was a live arb there for a while, TAB and Betfair. 

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:33pm
Unless Auntie red is right, and we wake up to President Pence

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:34pm
We appear to have segued from the Topic somewhat here, however guess that's entirely normal around here.  Wink

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:35pm
Happens often enough to be able to make a little cream. I was playing a Ladbrokes promo during the football season that allowed an easy arb. Probably the most profitable promotion I’ve played to date. Hoping they bring it back next season.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:35pm
Mentioning racing between betting rings that is how I first started punting. As a young bloke I would go on the Flat at Caulfield and with a pair binoculars would watch over the track at the firmers on the Rails then run and back them with the Flat bookies when they had the original price on their betting boards , that gave me the concept that to win punting was all about beating the odds and that I need not study any form. 

Over a year or so I graduated into the Paddock and then became aware there was more money to be made betting on the interstate tote in the Paddock ( the interstate tote house was only in the Paddock )  where the odds variance between the tote odds and the odds coming from interstate were more in my favour than betting on firmers with bookies.

Just think, if I had been any good at football or cricket I would never had ventured to the Flat on a Saturday afternoon and I wonder how my life would have turned out. As they say, life can be fortuitous being in the right place at the right time.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:37pm

We appear to have segued from the Topic somewhat here, however guess that's entirely normal around here.  Wink
I don't know SC, anything that wins, is fun, and this is for "funny" stories. Tongue

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:40pm

Mentioning racing between betting rings that is how I first started punting. As a young bloke I would go on the Flat at Caulfield and with a pair binoculars would watch over the track at the firmers on the Rails then run and back them with the Flat bookies when they had the original price on their betting boards , that gave me the concept that to win punting was all about beating the odds and that I need not study any form.

Over a year or so I graduated into the Paddock and then became aware there was more money to be made betting on the interstate tote in the Paddock ( the interstate tote house was only in the Paddock )  where the odds variance between the tote odds and the odds coming from interstate were more in my favour than betting on firmers with bookies.

Just think, if I had been any good at football or cricket I would never had ventured to the Flat on a Saturday afternoon and I wonder how my life would have turned out. As they say, life can be fortuitous being in the right place at the right time.

People would do well to listen to the bolder section above. Totally correct and goes for any form of betting really. You do not need to know form to win - just the maths. I mean, I’ve barely watched MMA in my life but I was more than happy to bet on it this morning when it became apparent I could profit off it!

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

There are still plenty of opportunities to profit, you just need to look harder. Just today I came across a market on an MMA fight that occurred this afternoon and between the different books you could arb the result. One was betting $2.80 while another had the other fighter at $1.60. I was happy to empty a couple of accounts for a small profit. 

98.2 % you certainly would have to empty a few accounts even to make a small profit, then again you could not lose.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:48pm

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

98.2 % you certainly would have to empty a few accounts even to make a small profit, then again you could not lose.

Well I did say “small” Smile

I made about $50 from it. Small but then if you saw a $50 note on the ground you would certainly bend over and pick it up. 

The Ladbrokes arb was a much bigger score over a few months. 

Posted By: fee
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:48pm
Been to very few racecourses and the MC only once in 1996 .Terrible experience on the lawns, so crowded, couldn't get a bet on, and all I saw of the race was the horses legs as they flashed by towards the finishing post LOL

But you gotta go at least once in your life

-------------
It is not about Biden winning or me winning, it is about the integrity of the voting system

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:52pm
Used to go to the dishlickers at Olympic Park on Monday nights. Went straight from work in Melbourne CBD. Didn't know anything about them but it was fun, only 20 minutes between races and the main reason I went was for the tasty hot dogs , hope they didn't have any slow greyhounds in the ingredients Confused

-------------
It is not about Biden winning or me winning, it is about the integrity of the voting system

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 4:45pm
That is funny Free - but hardly surprising LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 4:48pm
Bob - did you just stop all of a sudden or did you just gradually back off ? And even with the mathematical edge you must have had bad spells. Did you ever chase ?

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:15pm

The NSW TAB started in 1964. Betting shops typically had upto 10 staff behind the counter taking bets / manually collating tickets / & forwarding to a central source for final dividend determination. This central source employed hundreds. Turnover then would be miniscule compared to now. And yet the take-out rates have almost doubled since then (primarily exotics). Hard to believe.
yes it was a major employer, high running costs, and the take-outs were less than today, a real contradiction.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by fee fee wrote:

Used to go to the dishlickers at Olympic Park on Monday nights. Went straight from work in Melbourne CBD. Didn't know anything about them but it was fun, only 20 minutes between races and the main reason I went was for the tasty hot dogs , hope they didn't have any slow greyhounds in the ingredients Confused

Those were the days when the only Chinese you saw were in China Town. But the thing I noticed there were heaps at the greyhound races with wads of cash, they loved the dogs

-------------

Posted By: rusty nails
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:05pm

yes it was a major employer, high running costs, and the take-outs were less than today, a real contradiction.
Gov owned.
No shareholders 

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:09pm
That is the peril of privatisation. Wink

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:21pm

Bob - did you just stop all of a sudden or did you just gradually back off ? And even with the mathematical edge you must have had bad spells. Did you ever chase ?
1+1.  when I first started punting on the overs I only bet on the win & place and the last race quinella and over those years the value slowly but surely fell away on the win and place as other punters realised there were overs . As the TAB grew they introduced trifectas which were a gift from God as most punters had no idea how to stake individual combinations ( even the smarties boxed up runners ) whereas I knew if I staked individual bets I achieved huge overlays, especially at the short end of the market. Over a period of years I , like other overs punters, was able to download hundreds of bets directly into the on course totalisator, which in the long run was to my detriment because we all began to correctly stake all combinations which ultimately meant the value in trifecta betting ultimately evaporated. It is about then around 1999  that I gave it all away, although for a few more years I exploited overs on WA Trebles on the Queensland TAB.  
Re Bad Spells: Of course I had bad runs but by the end of every calendar month I always showed a profit.

No,  I never chased losses as I always knew the odds were on my favour.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:22pm
Should I tellthe story about the VERY famous , am sure known to all here,  bloke, nicking flags off flag poles at the Irish Derby, while track riders looked on, like WTF is going on here ?

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:24pm
And by the by.  Have we worked out what happened to Mother/Daughter act,,,and did we all see the same pair ???

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:37pm
They never made it to Melbourne but no doubt they knew their way around the trots and the gallops in Sydney. When I travelled to Sydney to bet the overs during the Melbourne Spring carnivals ( all the NSW horses were always unders on the NSW TAB, meaning the Victorian horses were overs ) I stayed at the Boulevard and did not sight them when I dined in The Cross Wink, so maybe they were just keen punters.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Gov owned.
No shareholders 
To be fair though, it was little better with the govt ownership, punters got zero benefit from computerization of the TAB. Oh wait, you got the "spinner" Dead

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 7:31pm

That is the peril of privatisation. Wink

Nothing wrong with privatisation, CBA, CSL, ALL Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:32pm
Could we keep this thread to funnies ??   And go post somewhere else with your facts and figures etc ??  Or is that asking too much ??  Censored

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:33pm
Over the years I have seen many changes to the wagering landscape in NSW - fully government owned TAB , Corporatised TAB , Privatised TAB , introduction of the Corporates , TABCORP taking over NSW , Fields Legislation , increasing racing proliferation 24/7 , SKY vision 24/7 , Digital punting on phones allowing armchair punting , sports betting & even cartoon racing - & now TABCORP taking over the whole country except WA ( not far away ). Been lots of impacts - however there is always one constant - the change would always be promoted as help racing participants - owners / trainers / punters. And all I’ve ever seen is more & more wingeing from all & sundry - how tough the game is becoming ??

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Could we keep this thread to funnies ??   And go post somewhere else with your facts and figures etc ??  Or is that asking too much ??  Censored

No actually, I find BB's and others betting strategies very interesting. Also the discussion about changes in TAB's and betting strategies  Since when has any thread stuck to the title Confused

You know what they say, if you don't like it Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:38pm
Devilishly difficult to win, 1-1, I have a small number of cunningly contrived systems that work. But I can't squeeze a lot of bets from them. From a standing start today, your chances are slim of finding a winning method, using publicly sourced intelligence. 

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:55pm
The next step will be a National TAB. Technically ready to go years ago but got held up by State Govts concerned they might lose a bit of tax (NSW Govt the major one I believe). It will happen shortly I think -  & it will be promoted as the next panacea for increasing turnover & helping all industry participants. You know - increased pool sizes will give more confidence to stable dividends blah , blah. What they won’t promote is every bet type coming in with the highest take-out rate currently in-place across every state TAB. Half a percent here , 1 percent there , more international pools where they again use the higher rates when it suits them - And to my mind every time the average rates increase there are not too many winners other than TAB / governments 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:08pm
1+1, you are completely correct, the PR departments at the TAB and governments will come up with all that crap you mention and punters will still be punting on the TAB when we are both pushing up daisies.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

AA, as 1+1 started this thread and has posted ,like myself, a bit about punting in general, do you suppose he should come in line with your request ?

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:17pm
No actually, I find BB's and others betting strategies very interesting. Also the discussion about changes in TAB's and betting strategies  Since when has any thread stuck to the title Confused

You know what they say, if you don't like it

Oh fiddlesticks,,,,this thread is about funnies.   You know ??     Laughs .  Funny things .    But what do you know about funnies ???   You boring old gelati.

-------------
animals before people.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net