Forum Description: General discussion about thoroughbred horse racing
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=59441
Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 8:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jericho Cup 4600m
Posted By: Magnolian Khan
Subject: Jericho Cup 4600m
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:38am
A 4600m flat race at Warrnambool will be on the Victorian racing calendar for the 2018-19 season, commemorating the involvement of the Anzacs in World War I.

The $300,000 Jericho Cup will be hosted at the 'Bool in November 2018, just over 100 years after soldiers gathered horses in Palestine, outside Jericho, for a three-mile race during WWI.

The race was famously won by a horse called Bill The Bastard.

Inspired by history, philanthropist Bill Gibbins is behind the running of the Cup in the 21st century, and is contributing a majority of the funds for the event in 2018 - with the hope of it becoming a permanent fixture.

"Racing Victoria is very supportive of this initiative, which honours such a significant event from Australia's war past," RV executive general manager Greg Carpenter said.

"We look forward to working with the Warrnambool Racing Club as they deliver this milestone event and hope it holds a regular place on Victoria's racing calendar."

Only horses conceived and born in either Australia or New Zealand are eligible for the race.

Warrnambool Racing Club chief executive Pete Downs said they were happy to support the commemorative race.

"Australia has a proud war history and any event that positively promotes the involvement of the ANZAC soldiers and their horses during battle - we are only too happy to support," Downs said.

A points system will help determine who qualifies for the race, with the first three Australasian-bred horses past the post in any 3000m-plus flat race to earn points on a 3-2-1 basis (non-TAB meetings excluded).

Outside of that, the points will also be on offer for each of the Grand Annual Steeplechase (5500m) at Warrnambool, the Great Eastern Steeplechase (4950m) at Oakbank and the Spring Stayers Series Final at Morphettville (2600m).

There will also be double points on offer for select races (both 2017 and 2018 versions), with a race in Tasmania still to be added. The list so far consists of:

NSW - The Riverina Cup 3800m at Wagga Wagga (July);
VIC - The Final of the Marathon Series in Melbourne 4000m at Sandown (April);
SA - The Handicap 3600m at Oakbank (Easter) (in 2016, known as The Golding Wines Handicap);
WA - The Western Australia Cup 3200m (April); and
QLD - The Queensland Cup 3200m Eagle Farm (June/July).
The first Australasian-bred horse past the post in each of the above races will earn a ballot-exemption into the race in the same year - meaning this comes into effect from 2018 onwards.

Replies:
Posted By: Tontonan
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 12:39pm
It is worth remembering that of the 136,000 'Walers' that served during the so called Great War only one, Major General William Bridges horse Sandy, returned to Australia.  He lived out his days at Duntroon and later Maribyrnong. His head was mounted and is kept int he Australian War memorial but is not on display owing to to is condition.

The decision to leave the horses behind was a deliberate one to prevent diseases being brought back home.  It was romanticized by Trooper Bluegum (Major Oliver Hogue) in the following verse,

I don’t think I could stand the thought of my old fancy hack
Just crawling round old Cairo with a ’Gyppo on his back.
Perhaps some English tourist out in Palestine may find
My broken hearted waler with a wooden plough behind.
No, I think I’d better shoot him and tell a little lie:–
“He floundered in a wombat hole and then lay down to die.”
Maybe I’ll get court martialled; but I’m damned if I’m inclined
To go back to Australia and leave my horse behind.

Posted By: Fairest One
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 1:12pm
I can't work out if this is legit or satire as a result of the Everest announcement.

-------------
Cmon Apparitions!!!

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 1:16pm
It's real. November 2018

Posted By: Ammy42
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:43pm
Good on them. I especially like the idea of inviting winners from different states.

Posted By: Heavy10
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:59pm
Is there a bonus for winning The Everest, Jericho double

Posted By: BlackKnight
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Fairest One Fairest One wrote:

I can't work out if this is legit or satire as a result of the Everest announcement.

This race was first announced almost a year ago. The racing press decided to pick up the story yesterday for some reason.

Posted By: Phazeal
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 7:57pm
This is how you do it. Nice touch, and only $300k with a hard-to-knock background covered by private interests in year one. Meanwhile NSW is bending over backwards to funnel millions of dollars in prizemoney either overseas or into the kicks of a very few big spenders who don't need enticing. The contrast is nauseating.

Posted By: Lord Hybrow
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Phazeal Phazeal wrote:

This is how you do it. Nice touch, and only $300k with a hard-to-knock background covered by private interests in year one. Meanwhile NSW is bending over backwards to funnel millions of dollars in prizemoney either overseas or into the kicks of a very few big spenders who don't need enticing. The contrast is nauseating.

Couldn't agree with you more Phazeal.

As a racing fan, I'm far more excited about this 4600m race than the Everest a Randwick.

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

It is worth remembering that of the 136,000 'Walers' that served during the so called Great War only one, Major General William Bridges horse Sandy, returned to Australia.  He lived out his days at Duntroon and later Maribyrnong. His head was mounted and is kept int he Australian War memorial but is not on display owing to to is condition.

The decision to leave the horses behind was a deliberate one to prevent diseases being brought back home.  It was romanticized by Trooper Bluegum (Major Oliver Hogue) in the following verse,

I don’t think I could stand the thought of my old fancy hack

Those that could, took their horse out and shot it, to keep it from going into slavery in Egypt.
One of the great crimes was the way those horses were treated and abandoned by the Govnt that sent them into hell.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:31pm
Interestingly the Australian War Memorial suggests that the story of Light Horsemen shooting their faithful steeds to avoid slavery in the Middle East is a romanticisation (wrong word, but you know what I mean), and that most were sent to India.

Posted By: TIGER
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:55pm
Y2J Y2J Y2J

-------------
EAD

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 12:07am
Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

Interestingly the Australian War Memorial suggests that the story of Light Horsemen shooting their faithful steeds to avoid slavery in the Middle East is a romanticisation (wrong word, but you know what I mean), and that most were sent to India.

Hmmmmm, debatable.  And would India have been much better ??    I heard they went to ??   Finland/Norway ,or somewhere in Europe , for feed for the starving population.   i do know fact, some were shot rather than let them go god knows where.  A lot of those horses came from Ozz with their rider, off farms and stations.  
I read a story where they said if not for the Ozz war horses the population in some European country would have starved.
Where ever they went, it wasnt a good out come for horses who had served their country well above their duty.  Imagine what they went thru in the desert , with full packs and riders and no water for days and then a big battle.  
It was piss poor the way they were treated by the Govnt at war,s end, whatever happened to them.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 12:42am
Agreed it wasn't a good outcome on any basis. This is the official version - take it with a grain of salt or not: https://www.awm.gov.au/wartime/44/page54_bou/" rel="nofollow - https://www.awm.gov.au/wartime/44/page54_bou/

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 1:42am
None of it was a good outcome.  What ever happened to those horses,  at the end of the war,  should not have.
They took them from here .  Used them in battle and they aquitted  themselves beyond belief.
They deserved to be brought home.
But they wernt.
Shame shame shame.

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Shawy38
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 9:58pm
I’m going to back Our Yangtze in this.

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 9:59pm
Dammit he is a foreigner so ineligible

Posted By: Prince of Penzance
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:08pm
Found this interesting

http://www.thejerichocup.com.au" rel="nofollow - http://www.thejerichocup.com.au

QUALIFYING FOR THE RACE

The only requirement is to race Australasian Bred Stayers in this country and watch your points build up. Shuttle Stallions qualify, but the horse must have been conceived and born in Australia or New Zealand. It’s called supporting the local industry.

THE POINTS SYSTEM

Commencing 1st January 2017, the first three Australasian Bred horses over the line in every 3,000m or further flat race will earn 3-2-1 points. Non-TAB meetings are excluded, but all other races, no matter what class/age/sex restriction applies, will be treated equally.

The final field will be determined according to total points accrued, after allowing for any ballot exemptions. It is feasible that a horse could get in with no points (as long as it passes the breeding requirement). But any horse with just one point will get in ahead of those without any.

The final date to earn points will be 14 days before the running of The Jericho Cup. In 2018, this will be Sunday 18th November.

You will be able to check the progressive points total on this website.

This race obviously favours the up and coming horses against those that have already got there. But it will be possible for any class horse to win it.

ADDITIONAL POINTS SCORING RACES

DOUBLE POINTS RACES in 2018 (Correct at 1st March 2018)

NSW - The Riverina Cup 3,800m at Wagga Wagga (August 12th)
SA - Jericho Cup Prelude 3,600m BM82 at Oakbank (April 2nd)
WA - The Western Australia Cup 3,200m at Ascot (April 21st)
QLD - The Queensland Cup 3,200m Sunshine Coast (July 14th)
TAS - Open Hcp 3,200m Hobart (November)
VIC - We are currently negotiating a replacement race. Details will be updated ASAP.
The top point scorer in each of the above races in 2018 will be guaranteed a start in the Jericho Cup of the same year, regardless of points.

TWO EXEMPTIONS TO THE FLAT RACES ONLY RULE ARE: 1. The Grand Annual Steeple 5,500m at Warrnambool (May) 2. The Great Eastern Steeple 4,950m at Oakbank (Easter)

AN EXEMPTION TO THE 3,000M MINIMUM RULE IS: The Spring Stayers Series Final 2,600m at Morphetville SA (November) Other races may be added to this category to support those that support developing stayers.

The above information is current as at 31/10/2017.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 6:10pm
http://www.thejerichocup.com.au/points.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.thejerichocup.com.au/points.html

Posted By: tmk
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 10:52am
Hi there, I am the personal assistant for Bill Gibbins who is the founder of this race and just wanted to update you that the race is actually happening on Sunday the 2nd of December :) 

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 10:56am
Hi there, just to let you know the $300k will be covered by private interests for a total of 4 years and there are other updates regarding the race, qualifying, exemptions and also a possible additional consolation race on the website  http://www.thejerichocup.com.au/qualifying.html " rel="nofollow - http://www.thejerichocup.com.au/qualifying.html  ;

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 10:56am
Hi there, just to let you know the $300k will be covered by private interests for a total of 4 years and there are other updates regarding the race, qualifying, exemptions and also a possible additional consolation race on the website  http://www.thejerichocup.com.au/qualifying.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.thejerichocup.com.au/qualifying.html

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 11:35am

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 1:10am
Great news!

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:32pm
Spur On Gold

Spur On Gold (Image: Slickpix)

Jericho Cup gathers momentum

Luke Sheehan https://www.twitter.com/LukeDSheehan" rel="nofollow - @LukeDSheehan

12:27pm

https://www.racing.com/news/2018-10-02/news-jericho-cup-gathers-momentum#" rel="nofollow -

The Haymes Paint Jericho Cup (4600m) draws closer, with Racing Victoria revealing the likely option for a Jericho Cup consolation race to be added to the Warrnambool card in December.

The feature race, a brainchild of philanthropist Bill Gibbins and a tribute to the three-mile race conducted by the Australian Light Horse in Jericho outside of Palestine during WWI, is capped at a field of 12 plus four emergencies, with only Australasian-bred horses eligible for the 4600-metre race.

From the jockeys' perspective, only those who hold a highweight license will be able to participate.

Also, RV has announced on Tuesday that should the $300,000 Cup fetch a field of at least 10 runners, a consolation race run over 4065m worth $40,000 will be scheduled on the same day for those that miss a run in the major event.

The consolation race would carry a ballot-exemption for the winner, for the 2019 Jericho Cup.

Furthermore, if the consolation event gets the go-ahead - which would seem likely given the high interest in the Cup - it will also be for highweight riders exclusively.

With jumps racing finished for 2018, RV has scheduled races on the following cards to help the highweight riders prepare for the December 2 raceday: Kilmore (Monday, 8 October), Stawell (Monday, 22 October), Kilmore (Monday, 12 November) and Mornington (Monday, 19 November).

Entries for the Jericho Cup close at midday on November 20, with weights for the Benchmark 90 event revealed the following day, and acceptances taken at midday on November 27.

Qualifying for the event has been underway since the idea became reality and the race was put back on the map in early 2017.

With points on offer on a 3-2-1 basis for all 3000-metre-plus races run at TAB meetings, as well as select shorter races plus double points in certain instances, stayers of all capabilities with Australian and NZ breeding have been putting the score on the board.

Leaderboard (discounting retired horses):

10 points - Bayanova, Spur On Gold

8 points - Thunder Road, Weave

7 points - Choysa, Crafty Cruiser, Prize

6 points - Fanatic, Grassini, I'll Miss You, My Diamantine, Who Shot Thebarman, Zarantz

5 points - Cuban Fighter

4 points - Bidrectional, Dudemanbro, Duke of Staghurst, King of Sting, Megablast, Spying On You, Sunset Superman

Ahead of those on the leaderboard are four ballot-exempt horses.

WA Cup winner Dark Musket (Graeme Ballantyne), Queensland Cup runner-up Anton en Avant (Stephen Lee) and High Mode (Anthony Freedman) while the Lindsay Park-trained Dane Hussler is also ballot-exempt but the mare has since been retired.

There are still several chances for horses to pick up points to qualify for the inaugural Cup, including:

October 22 - Stawell BM58 Highweight (3600m);

November 3 - Morphettville BM82 (2500m);

November 6 - Echuca BM64 (3200m);

November 6 - Flemington Melbourne Cup (3200m);

November 6 - Hobart Open (3200m) - double points/ballot-exempt race;

November 16 - Moonee Valley BM70 (3000m) - double points/ballot-exempt race;

November 17 - Sandown Cup (3200m); and

November 19 - Grafton BM66 (3120m).

RV executive general manager - racing and participant wellbeing, Greg Carpenter, said: "We're delighted to join with the Warrnambool Racing Club and Bill Gibbins in celebrating the centenary of the Jericho Cup, a defining moment in the history of Australia, and delivering this unique staying contest with a rich $300,000 prize pool.

"The contenders for the Jericho Cup are taking shape and with a number of qualifying races still to come there's plenty of opportunities for Australasian-bred stayers to secure the points to push their way up the order of entry before nominations close on 20 November."

Gibbins, managing director and founder of the Cup, said: "We have been working on this project of reviving the Jericho Cup for a long time and it is incredibly exciting that we are now only two months away from the raceday. I look forward to seeing which horses nominate as we edge closer to what will be an extraordinary day at Warrnambool on Sunday, 2 December."

The 2018 Cup will be run just over 100 years after soldiers gathered horses in Palestine, outside Jericho, for a three-mile race during WWI - the race was famously won by a horse called Bill The Bastard.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:34pm
Why have a points system ?

Why not just release the weights and the highest weighted 12 get in and the next 12 run for the consolation.

A points system based on handicaps is a nonsense, 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:53pm
Has the race stands - 

Who Shot Thebarman........114
Fanatic...............................104
Megablast...........................102
Zarantz...............................91
Choysa...............................88
My Diamentina...................87
Dudemanbro......................76
Bayanova...........................70
Weave................................70
I'll Miss You........................70
Bidirectional........................69
Thunder Road....................67

Cuban Fighter....................67
Spur On Gold.....................65
Spying On You...................59
Crafty Cruiser.....................58
Grassini..............................57
Sunset Superman...............55
King Of Sting......................50
Duke Of Staghurst.............40

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Sister Dot
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

<em style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px;">I don’t think I could stand the thought of my old fancy hack

😳 Do they have wombats in Cairo? Bit of a blooper 😊

-------------
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 7:08pm
Horses aren’t machines. Where is the cut off point?

-------------
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 7:49pm
If they can run 8 km over jumps with 75 kgs on their back they can run 4600m.

I expect a time of around 5 minutes to complete the task. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Sister Dot Sister Dot wrote:

😳 Do they have wombats in Cairo? Bit of a blooper 😊

Not really Dot.  It is more of an example of the Australian wit of the times. 

Trooper Bluegum's tongue was firmly in his cheek.  The whole verse is imbibed with typical Australian wit.  What was a fox hole to a Briton and a gopher hole to a American was a wombat hole to an Australian.  Those were early days of Australian nationalism and we rarely wasted an opportunity to distinguish ourselves as Australians.  

Oliver Hogue served with the dismounted Lighthorse at Gallipoli before being invalided to England with enteric fever.  He returned to battle with the Lighthorse in the Sinai and fought in the battle of Romani before being promoted to captain and joined the Imperial Camel Corps serving in Jordan, Palestine and the Sinai.  In 1918 he rejoined the Lighthorse as a major and took part in the battle for Damascus.  He served for the entirety of World War 1 and survived but never returned to Australia.  He died of influenza in London in 1919.

His correspondence was light and often humorous, considered morale boosting for the Australian servicemen as his attitude was typical of them.  He spoke their language - and his ode to the horse is a perfect example of it. 

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 10:01am
Thanks for that, didn’t think of that side of it when I read it. Resilient man, he must have seen and endured enormous suffering. 😕

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 3:21pm
Sunday Dec 2nd - going to be a cracking race

Race 7 - The Jericho Cup (4600 METRES)
Of $292,000. 1st $150,000, 2nd $50,000, 3rd $30,000, 4th $18,000, 5th $10,000, 6th $8,000, 7th $7,000, 8th $7,000, 9th $6,000, 10th $6,000
Prize money contribution totalling 2% will be directed to jockey and equine welfare prior to distribution
BenchMark 90, Highweight, No age restriction, No sex restriction
For Australia or New Zealand bred horses only. A $40k consolation race over 4065m will be added should 24 or more horses accept.
VOBIS Gold Open Horse Owners Bonus: $20,000
Apprentices can claim.

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 3:24pm
To the best of our knowledge the following are the only 3000m+ races to be run in Australia prior to the closing off date of 20/11/18. These races will earn 3-2-1 points for the first 3 Australasian bred horses over the line (after correct weight):-

~ Stawell 22/10/18 3600m BM58
~ Morphetville Stayers Race 03/11/18 2500m BM82 (exempt from 3000m+ rule)
~ Echuca 06/11/18 3200m BM64
~ Flemington Melbourne Cup 06/11/18 3200m Open
~ Sandown Cup 17/11/18 3200m Open
~ Grafton 19/11/18 3120m BM66
THERE ARE 2 FURTHER RACES THAT ARE DOUBLE POINTS RACES WITH THE 6 POINT WINNERS IN EACH RACE GUARANTEED OF A START:-

~ Hobart 06/11/18 3200m Open
~ Moonee Valley 16/11/18 3000m BM70
RACING VICTORIA HAVE RULED THAT THE FIRST JERICHO CUP THROUGH THE PADDOCKS AT WARNNAMBOOL (LESS THE JUMPS) WILL BE A HIGHWEIGHT RACE FOR JUMPS JOCKEYS ONLY AND THUS A FIELD LIMIT OF 12 RUNNERS WITH 4 EMERGENCIES. EARLY NOMINATIONS AND ACCEPTANCES WILL BE CALLED TO PROVIDE CONNECTIONS WITH CERTAINTY OF WHO IS & WHO IS NOT GETTING A RUN. NOMINATIONS CLOSE NOON 20TH NOVEMBER 2018. ACCEPTANCES CLOSE NOON 27TH NOVEMBER 2018. SHOULD THERE BE SUFFICIENT ACCEPTANCES THERE WILL BE A CUP CONSOLATION RACE OVER APPROX. 4065M ON THE COURSE PROPER. SAME HIGHWEIGHT, FIELD LIMIT AND JUMPS JOCKEYS REQUIREMENT. A LOT LESS PRIZEMONEY, BUT THE SWEETENER WILL BE THAT THE CONSOLATION WILL BE THE FIRST GUARANTEED START AND DOUBLE POINTS RACE FOR THE 2019 JERICHO CUP. THE MAIN RACE EMERGENCIES WOULD ALSO BE INCLUDED IN THE CONSOLATION FIELD. IF THERE ARE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT ANY OF THE ABOVE PLEASE RING BILL ON 0413 442 988 or EMAIL bill@thejerichocup.com.au

Posted By: Breeding Above All
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:55pm
4600m pretty gruelling, so then they make it highweight.. poor horses

Posted By: tillyras
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 3:32pm
Excited to have a runner in the inaugural Jericho Cup on Sunday.
Penthouse Playboy will be piloted by Johnny Allen on the minimum 64kg over 4600m
Will stay all day, looking forward to it.

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 3:37pm
Big weight to carry

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 3:42pm
They’ve all gotta carry it

Posted By: Mr Grieves
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 5:29pm
Go Crafty!

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 5:54pm
Race 7 - 12:00AM The Haymes Paint Jericho Cup (4600 METRES) Times displayed in local time of Race Meeting Of $292,000.1st $150,000, 2nd $50,000, 3rd $30,000, 4th $18,000, 5th $10,000, 6th $8,000, 7th $7,000, 8th $7,000, 9th $6,000, 10th $6,000
Prize money contribution totalling 2% will be directed to jockey and equine welfare prior to distribution
BenchMark 90, Highweight, Minimum Weight 64kg, Apprentices can claim.

Track Name: Main Track Type: Turf Track Condition: Soft 5

Field Limit: 12 + 4 EM
No Last 10 Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight Penalty Hcp Rating
1 635112x026 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=ODU5NDc1NzU4NQ%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNDIzMzk0NDU5" rel="nofollow - GOLD MEDALS (NZ) http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=NTQ2MDY4NTc0MA%3d%3d&trainername=Symon+Wilde" rel="nofollow - Symon Wilde http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NDk2NTAzOTcyMA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - - Jamie Mott 6 70kg
2 0x75468314 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=ODc2MjQzMzU3OQ%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNDIzMzg1NTIy" rel="nofollow - DOC HOLLIDAY http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=NTQ2MDY4NTc0MA%3d%3d&trainername=Symon+Wilde" rel="nofollow - Symon Wilde http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NjUyNDI4NzA0Nw%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - - Darryl Horner (Jnr) 16 67kg
3 01Fx508114 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDQ5OTk1ODI0MDA%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAwOTIwMTc4ODAw" rel="nofollow - THE DOMINATOR (NZ) http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=NTYwOTM5NzQyMA%3d%3d&trainername=Henry+Dwyer" rel="nofollow - Henry Dwyer http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NDQ4MDEzODY1NTE%3d" rel="nofollow - - Thomas Sadler 12 66.5kg
4 6541322331 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=ODk0MDYzNzM1OQ%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNTA2Nzc2NjY5" rel="nofollow - TRULY HIGH http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTA4MTkxMzIy&trainername=Darren+Weir" rel="nofollow - Darren Weir http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NDQ3NjU2Mzg1NTE%3d" rel="nofollow - - Shane Jackson 5 66.5kg
5 3167837045 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=ODY3NjM5NzA4MA%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNDUzNDk0Mjc1" rel="nofollow - THUNDER ROAD http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=NDYzMjMzMzA4NA%3d%3d&trainername=Emma+%26+Lucy+Longmire" rel="nofollow - Emma & Lucy Longmire http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NjA4OTg4NjI4OA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - - Lee Horner 7 65.5kg
6 065201x357 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDQ5MTczNDQxMjY%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNDY0MDc1Njgz" rel="nofollow - HIGH MODE (NZ) http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=OTU4NjcxOTk%3d&trainername=Anthony+Freedman" rel="nofollow - Anthony Freedman http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NDQ4MDU3Mjk5MzM%3d" rel="nofollow - - Clayton Douglas 15 65kg
7 8348x76503 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=ODc1OTMzMjQ0MA%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNDc1NjMxMjI0" rel="nofollow - WEAVE VOBIS Gold Bonus Scheme http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTA3MjM1MDYz&trainername=Anne+Yates" rel="nofollow - Anne Yates http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=Njc0MTIwNTkxMQ%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - - Richard Cully 9 65kg
8 2221124522 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDQ5MjMxODg5MjQ%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNTA2NzY3NzMy" rel="nofollow - PENTHOUSE PLAYBOY (NZ) http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTA4MTkxMzIy&trainername=Darren+Weir" rel="nofollow - Darren Weir http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NDQ5OTAyMTY0MjQ%3d" rel="nofollow - - John Allen 1 64kg
9 8x77612365 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=ODg4MDI2NzkyNA%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxMzc5OTk2Mzg3" rel="nofollow - HAVANA HAYMAKER VOBIS Gold Bonus Scheme http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=OTIyOTIzOTk%3d&trainername=Pat+Carey" rel="nofollow - Pat Carey http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NjE3MzY5NzQ3NA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - - Tom Ryan 11 64kg
10 32x4932226 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=ODM1OTA5NzgzMg%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNDUxMjE1MzQw" rel="nofollow - BARGE AND CHARGE http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTA3MjUyOTM3&trainername=Michael+Townsend" rel="nofollow - Michael Townsend http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=MzIxNjA2ODgyMA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - - Paul Hamblin 14 64kg
11 7074795430 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDQ3MjM0OTE2NTk%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNTIwODk3MTI5" rel="nofollow - CRAFTY CRUISER http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTA2NDY2NDgx&trainername=Bryce+Stanaway" rel="nofollow - Bryce Stanaway http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=MTg2MTAxODE4MDAy" rel="nofollow - - Ms Emily Farr 2 64kg
12 24x9053653 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=ODE2NjM0NDYxNg%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNDk1MTg1Mzgw" rel="nofollow - GRASSINI http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=OTI2NDA5NDI%3d&trainername=Brett+Charry" rel="nofollow - Brett Charry http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NzU2MDA4NTM0Nw%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - - Shaun Phelan 4 64kg
13e 8x60415188 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=OTAwNjkwNTIxNA%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNTE0NDM1Njc4" rel="nofollow - BEACH GOD VOBIS Gold Bonus Scheme http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTIyNjUxMzg4&trainername=Byron+Cozamanis" rel="nofollow - Byron Cozamanis http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NzA4NzAxNDE4OQ%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - - Martin Kelly 3 66kg
14e 91x0292 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDY4ODg4NTUyNjM%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNDIzNDAzMzk2" rel="nofollow - UNDER THE BRIDGE (NZ) http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=NTQ2MDY4NTc0MA%3d%3d&trainername=Symon+Wilde" rel="nofollow - Symon Wilde
13 64kg
15e 35960912 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDQ5MDc5NTEzMzk%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNTIxNDE1NDc1" rel="nofollow - HELLO MY FRIEND VOBIS Gold Bonus Scheme http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTg0MDg1OTg4Mjgy&trainername=Charlotte+Littlefield" rel="nofollow - Charlotte Littlefield
10 64kg
16e 847x556535 http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=OTAwOTE1NzMzOA%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTAxNTIxNDA2NTM4" rel="nofollow - NELSONS ARCH http://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTg0MDg1OTg4Mjgy&trainername=Charlotte+Littlefield" rel="nofollow - Charlotte Littlefield
8 64kg

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: Discohips23
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 6:04pm
Interesting to see Bryce “Sandwiches” Stanaway has six runners in the Jericho Consolation Cup boasting the impressive combined strike rate of 9 Wins from 397 Starts. Safe to say Crafty Cruiser can’t wait til next August when retirement is forced.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by tillyras tillyras wrote:

Penthouse Playboy will be piloted by Johnny Allen on the minimum 64kg over 4600m

Good luck with the P.Playboy tillyras! With that Pentire x Zabeel blood pumping through his veins, he should see out the 4600m no worries.

Noticed your other ‘marathon’ stayer in Ca Plane is now with Amy McDonald. Nice choice of trainer, she’s really good with a stayer/jumper.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Discohips23 Discohips23 wrote:

Interesting to see Bryce “Sandwiches” Stanaway has six runners in the Jericho Consolation Cup boasting the impressive combined strike rate of 9 Wins from 397 Starts. Safe to say Crafty Cruiser can’t wait til next August when retirement is forced.

Yes I agree, why keep running these honest old geldings till they are forced off the track by injury or rules?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 4:48pm
I see the brave front-runner Choysa who was an original nom is listed as "deceased" Unhappy

Posted By: Brudder_A
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Mr Grieves Mr Grieves wrote:

I see the brave front-runner Choysa who was an original nom is listed as "deceased" Unhappy

Not good at all.

Saw his antics this winter at Flemington during my visit there.

Wondered how long will he keep this up.

Well, unfortunately you answered my question.

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 6:27pm
What sort of antics Brudder?

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: Bonfield
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 6:48pm
Love this race.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

What sort of antics Brudder?

He was nervous in the paddock and was rank when he was out on his huge lead when 4th to Lycurgus the day I was @ Flem. Collared in the straight after being used up and battled hard to finish where he did..

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 8:50pm

Congratulations on having a runner in this exciting high prizemoney race. Curious to know how long ago Weir set him for the race. I notice PP seemed to lose his way a little in a couple of races over 2300m and 2100m. Was this because Weir was training him for 4600m, or did he have a bit of a setback?

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Bonfield Bonfield wrote:

Congratulations on having a runner in this exciting high prizemoney race. Curious to know how long ago Weir set him for the race. I notice PP seemed to lose his way a little in a couple of races over 2300m and 2100m. Was this because Weir was training him for 4600m, or did he have a bit of a setback?

Cheers

This race has always been on the agenda, it’s been extremely difficult to place this horse. Finding suitable races in his grade is a nightmare, dropping back in trip around the unsuitable Horsham track was our only option - no other races in his distance range at that time. Have always felt he would relish the extended trip and it was a target to get him to 3000m at Moonee Valley but we weren’t sure his rating would be high enough, it’s hard to improve your rating when there are limited races to pick from. That’s part of the problem why Australian strayers struggle, the calendar and programming is not exactly helping. But anyway, we think he can win and so do the stable. John Allen was given the choice between stable mates and opted to jump off Truly High, who beat us last start, to ride our horse. It’s going to be a hard task, but he is certainly going to give it his best.

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 1:47pm
Cheers. Good luck. Gives every impression on both breeding and form that will relish the trip. Only negative is he doesn't always attack the line - a lot of narrow defeats.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:17am
Whilst these 2 long distance high weights are interesting because of their distances they probably highlight what is wrong with our trainers.

Just looking at one horse, it took 43 starts for him to grt beyond a mile.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Whilst these 2 long distance high weights are interesting because of their distances they probably highlight what is wrong with our trainers.

Just looking at one horse, it took 43 starts for him to grt beyond a mile.

I assume you’re referring to GRASSINI. Those first 40-odd starts were with the original trainer, Brian Cox. Credit to the current trainer Brett Charry for actually unearthing the horses stamina and having him race at 2400m plus most of his next 50 starts.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:33am
Grassini doesn't owe Brett Charry a thing.

Purchased for $5500 as a tried horse, the son of Universal Prince has won the Charry family more than $150,000 since joining their stable in 2015.

But the 10-year-old has done a lot more than just bolster their finances.

Grassini is a much-loved member of the tight-knit Bendigo family and he's the tonic that's helped them through one of the toughest periods of their lives as Brett's wife Roxanne has battled breast cancer.

It's why - win, lose or draw - Charry will be beaming with pride when his veteran stayer tackles Sunday's $300,000 Jericho Cup (4600m) at Warrnambool.

"He is an old warrior," Charry said.

"We bought him three years ago.

"He used to sprint but we couldn't get him to run outside on a dark night.

"The further we sent him, the better he raced and his breeding always suggested to us that he was a stayer and that's what he's become.

"He's loved by the family.

"Roxanne had cancer but you wouldn't know to look at her, she's a tough battler too like the horse.

"She's leading him around now and she lives and breathes him."

Grassini is the rank outsider at $126 in BetEasy's Jericho Cup market and while he's not expecting a fairytale result, Charry has a sneaking suspicion that the hardy gelding will relish the unique 4600-metre staying test.

The galloper's career-best performances have come over two miles - a pair of hurdle wins at Warrnambool either side of a 3200-metre flat win at Echuca on Melbourne Cup Day last year - and Charry is optimistic Grassini can prove his mettle against the might of Weir, Freedman and Wilde in a similar manner to inaugural Jericho Cup winner Bill The Bastard all those years ago.

"I'm not going there thinking he's going to win it but he's in there and that's a huge thrill for us," Charry said.

"We know there's a lot of horses that are going to beat him over two miles but we're just not sure over three.

"He does whack away.

"Some of them will go and stop but he'll just keep going through the line."

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:35am
Crafty Cruiser is an 11-year-old war horse who has covered more ground in his races than a drive from Melbourne to Warrnambool.

On Sunday he will line up for start 143 in the inaugural Jericho Cup (4600m), the country’s longest flat race with roots in the first world war.

The Warrnambool race was created in honour of the Lighthorsemen and the three-mile race they staged in Jericho, Palestine a century ago.

“You’d want the toughest horse in the race to win to celebrate what those tough horses did and Crafty is the toughest,” Torquay trainer Bryce Stanaway said.

“I’d go to war with him. I tell you there wouldn’t be a better horse to have in that situation. He’d be able to carry a few soldiers on his back.”

Making it even more fitting is that Stanway said one of his relatives was in the Lighthorseman.

If you lined Crafty Cruiser’s 142 career starts up end-to-end the tough old gelding would have covered 335km. Melbourne to Warrnambool is 260km.

He has amassed almost $950,000 in prizemoney at a rate of $2.80 a metre.

He hasn’t won since April — 17 starts ago — but Stanaway still has not set an end date.

“As soon as something is wrong with him he’ll be retired,” he said. “Even if that doesn’t happen it could still be on Sunday.”

Stanaway said when he gives Crafty Cruiser a couple of days off, the gelding is pushing on his gate wanting to get out to get worked as he loved it.

“What I’ve done is look after him, which is why he’s been able to have so much racing,” he said. “I just put the miles into his legs.

“How many horses do you see have 10 to 15 starts and break down? They’re the ones which people should be talking about.”

Stanaway has already mapped Crafty Cruiser’s future beyond the track — horses are banned from racing in Victoria beyond the age of 12.

“He’ll go to my sister’s grandchildren on the North Island (New Zealand) and he’ll go showjumping,” he said.

Crafty Cruiser was at his best in 2013 when he won the Ansett Stakes at Mornington, finished third in the Sandown Cup and fourth in the Geelong Cup and Bart Cummings Stakes.

Stanaway had said he would retire Crafty Cruiser when he earned more than $1 million — a feat he would pull of with a win on Sunday.

The trainer believes the 4600m of the Jericho Cup will be in Crafty Cruiser’s favour and thinks his odds of $51 is crazy.

“If there’s give in the track he’ll give it one hell of a scare,” he said.

CRAFTY CRUISER

11-year-old gelding

Starts: 142: 13 wins, 20 seconds, 15 thirds.

Prizemoney: $948,141

Distance covered: 335,437 metres

Prizemoney won per metre: $2.82

WINX

Starts: 39: 33-3-0

Prizemoney: $22,934,925

Distance covered: 65,360 metres

Prizemoney won per metre: $350.90

BLACK CAVIAR

Starts: 25-0-0

Prizemoney: $7,953,936

Distance covered: 29,000 metres

Prizemoney won per metre: $274.27

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 1:24pm
Chris Ryan is in the box seat for the $25k bonus.

From today’s winning trainers at Warrnambool, the one with the least amount of horses in work will win $25,000

Chris won race 2 and only has two in work.
Can only see one that could knock him off and that is Bill Wilde who has Duecourse in race 6 - he only has the one horse.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:10pm
Hello My Friend, 4yo mare by Americain, wins the golden ticket to next years race.
Trained by Charlotte Littlefield whose time is flying.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:14pm
Great training effort. Virtually first prep and not raced beyond 2200m prior to today.

Can't wait for the main event. Hope this race takes off in years to come. Give Penthouse Playboy strength today!

Posted By: Straight arrow
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:25pm
Don't know we're she has popped up from? But does seem to have very good idea

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 4:11pm
Hayfields Racing is her business, website below if you would like to check out her history.

http://www.hayfieldsracing.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.hayfieldsracing.com

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 4:15pm
Great story from her website.

Horse ownership is a rollarcoaster ride. Just ask Max Walker who owns HELLO MY FRIEND.

Max bought Hello My Friend from an on-line sale back in 2017. She was an unraced filly by Americain which Tarcoola Stud was selling. It just so happened that Jules was acting as Tarcoola's agent and he brokered the deal which saw Max acquire the filly for $12,000.

Max was a first time owner. He lived opposite Mornington Race Course on a little 2 acre block and after losing his son, decided that he needed a project to fill the void. 'Friend' was it.

Jules convinced Max to send his new filly to Charlotte and so began the journey.

After showing very little in her jumpouts (this is a common theme with daughters of Americain), Max and Charlotte headed to Geelong for her debut earlier in the year with very low expectations. She was 150-1 and given no chance. When Benny Thompson took her to the lead, we all exopected her to compound. However, when she kicked a length clesr on the corner, Max and Charlotte stood in silence as they pondfed the unthinkable. She didn't win but she ran a gallant third, beaten a long neck in what of the greatest debuts seen at Hayfields.

The high was short lived as six unpalced runs followed including a 23L defeat at Cranbourne when Friend went too
hard out in front. Friend was at the cross-roads when she ventured to Racing.Com Park on Oaks Day.

The blinkers were removed, riding tactics altered and she found her way back on a heavy track. The old Friend returned with a stirring victory which brought a tear to Max's eye. The day will go down as one of Max's most memorable moments.

A big thanks to Cheryl and Chloe for saddling up Friend whilst Charlotte and Jules were at Flemington.

And lastly to Max, we did it, with some help from above!

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 4:37pm
Interesting website POP. Might be a trainer to follow.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:03pm
HIGH MODE (NZ)Brown or black gelding 2013 
Redwood
Bay or brown 2006
High Chaparral
Bay 1999
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Fairy Bridge
Bay 1975
Bold Reason
Special
19-b
5-h
Kasora
Brown 1993
Darshaan
Brown 1981
Shirley Heights
Delsy
1-l
13-c
Kozana
Brown 1982
Kris
Koblenza
2-o
1-n
Arum Lily
Bay 2001
Woodman
Chestnut 1983
Mr Prospector
Bay 1970
Raise a Native
Gold Digger
8-f
13-c
Playmate
Chestnut 1975
Buckpasser
Intriguing
1-s
1-s
Jolypha
Bay or brown 1989
Lyphard
Bay 1969
Northern Dancer
Goofed
2-d
17-b
Navajo Princess
Bay 1974
Drone
Olmec
1-l
3-d
Lalla
Chestnut 2003
Silver Hawk
Bay 1979
Roberto
Bay 1969
Hail to Reason
Brown 1958
Turn-To
Nothirdchance
1-w
4-n
Bramalea
Bay or brown 1959
Nashua
Rarelea
3-m
12-c
Gris Vitesse
Grey 1966
Amerigo
Chestnut 1955
Nearco
Sanlinea
4-r
1-p
Matchiche
Grey 1956
Mat de Cocagne
Chimere Fabuleuse
6>
21-a
Mystify
Bay 1997
Batshoof
Bay 1986
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Fairy Bridge
2-d
5-h
Steel Habit
Bay 1979
Habitat
Ampulla
4-r
7>
Santa Linda
Sir Ivor
Bay 1965
Sir Gaylord
Attica
2-s
8-g
Santa Paula
Bay 1967
Santa Claus
Pocahontas
3-o
9-h
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer4m,5m x 5m Sadler's Wells3m x 4m

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:04pm
How good a run by old Crafty Cruiser.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:09pm
Great run the old boy! Winner looks like it would run 5 miles

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:10pm
Crafty now has $998k in the bank
Not bad for a $11,000 buy

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:12pm

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

How good a run by old Crafty Cruiser.

Now only $2k short of the $1.0m prizemoney mark.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:47pm

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:02pm
Round of applause! Absolute success!! Great ride by jock. Top training performance

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:14pm
I hope one day this can become a stand alone Saturday meeting.
Will sit nicely between Ballarat and Pakenham after the Spring in Melbourne ends

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:23pm

Will sit nicely between Ballarat and Pakenham after the Spring in Melbourne ends

Yeh why not.

It is certainly a class above the very best Moonee Valley can throw up.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 7:01pm
I loved it and looked to be popular at the track too. Warrnambool is the perfect location. Hope it goes from strength to strength.

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:46pm
Why did they run a 5m 31s etc to the other race over the distance run of 4m 31s?  I didn't see the race so just wondered.

Posted By: Jamal
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:54pm
I really enjoyed the race.

Quesion..how would a Melbourne Cup winner fare in the Jericho Cup? Is it possible that they would be "too brilliant"to run out the 4600 metres?

-------------
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Why did they run a 5m 31s etc to the other race over the distance run of 4m 31s?  I didn't see the race so just wondered.

THe Jericho was 600m further than the consolation. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:24pm
I wonder if Rick McIntosh could have fit any more jumps racing references into his call. Just about every furlong a mention. “If this was the grand annual they’d be about to jump a triple” “the grand annual winner from May”
It was a great race and a great concept. Let it stand on its own without trying to tie it into the jumps scene.

Posted By: Afros
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:33pm

Yeh why not.

It is certainly a class above the very best Moonee Valley can throw up.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Quesion..how would a Melbourne Cup winner fare in the Jericho Cup? Is it possible that they would be "too brilliant"to run out the 4600 metres?

Given the fact the Jericho is only for Aus / NZ bred horses and is a Benchmark 90, t would be virtually impossible for a Melbourne Cup winner to run in the race.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:10pm

Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Given the fact the Jericho is only for Aus / NZ bred horses and is a Benchmark 90, t would be virtually impossible for a Melbourne Cup winner to run in the race.

Interesting question none the less.

This year it was a benchmark 76.

Sir Charles Road would have compressed the weights if he qualified. I think Who Shot Thebarman was the only qualified Cup runner ?

Who Shot Thebarman......108 = 79 kgs
Sir Charles Road........107 = 78.5
Youngstar...............107 = 76.5

Who Shot Thebarman with 79
The rest of the field would have been on the minimum 64.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 11:40pm
Great race....
Wonderful atmosphere. I hope they continue with these long distance races. These kind of races use to be staple in the 19th century.

But not for the commentator.

Really all those references to the jumps, where they would of been and what the horse won at is just taking away from the necessary color commentary which is needed for a event like this.

I reckon that kid would of done a better job. His tone and volume was heaps better than what I just heard.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:50am
I agree brudder, it wasn't a terrible call but the constant references to Warnambool jumps races took something away from the race for mine.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:48am
What sort of crowd do they get in May ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 10:02am
What was crowd like compared to normal cup day crowed? Or maybe wangoom day crowd? It look a good size on TVs?

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:01pm

What sort of crowd do they get in May ?

Packed.  Trying to get accommodation anywhere near Warrnambool in Cup week is impossible without a well in advance booking. 

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

I wonder if Rick McIntosh could have fit any more jumps racing references into his call. Just about every furlong a mention. “If this was the grand annual they’d be about to jump a triple” “the grand annual winner from May”
It was a great race and a great concept. Let it stand on its own without trying to tie it into the jumps scene.

Agree with that. Was a good call otherwise.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:29pm
Rickey carries on a bit to much for the average listener , yes I'm the average listener

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:28pm
Nothing wrong with the call, I thought he did it justice.
Was disappointed with the racing.com coverage though, talking over the national anthem and Last Post was disrespectful

Posted By: Discohips23
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:31pm
Rick Macintosh was great to listen to when he called Jump races at a time they were under pressure and looked like maybe be lost to the do gooders. He talked it up and gave it a presence. Now he just carries on and tries to put his mark on every race. As far as that bloke they have working for Racing.com down around Warrnambool area now, I can’t remember anyone who is more painful to listen to!. I reckon he said the word “sensational” forty times over the days telecast and then to talk through the Anthem and the Last Post was a disgrace. Don’t know who is or where they dragged him from but I hope his stay isn’t a long one.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:54pm
We had a great time watching Penthouse Playboy run in the Jericho, was a wonderful day.
The horse just got a bit lost going around the circuit for the first time, didn’t handle the sand crossings or the road, and being out in the wide spaces. Once he got onto the course proper, his finale was satisfactory. He has now gone out to the paddock for a well earned break, will be back for some races in the Autumn.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:05pm
I thought he was very disappointing. Had every chance. Never looked likely at any stage. Maybe trained off?

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:15am
Has any news come through as to whether the race will stand on its own four feet after the 4 years that Bill Gibbons has guaranteed it ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 6:09am
General consensus was that the day was successful wasn't it?

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:32am
Yes, but has that come through officially ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:50am
Not that I've seen.

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 1:05pm
No official announcement yet but I think it’s more than likely to be announced in the new year. Possibility of bumping up the undercard and making it a feature stand alone metro Saturday. In between Ballarat and Pakenham

Posted By: GAJ
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 7:52pm
I like to concept, having a stayers race for Australian and NZ bred horses only. It is a wonderful incentive to encourage trainers and breeders alike.

I would like to make a suggestion that the race be held in different states, what are your thoughts?

Having had a qualifier for this years race, we were very disappointed not to have made the trip. A long one it would have been with a great deal of time spent away from home in NNSW.
Our mare trained off toward the end of this prep and was not herself so we made the decision to put her in the paddock over the summer.
The weight was also a concern, whilst she carries over 70kg in track work, In the race going at a solid pace for 4600m with 64 or 65 kg on her back was a worry. Not sure if mares had the usual 2kg allowance?

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 11:14pm
I wonder if they could have a final qualifier in each state over say 4000m, with the final field working down from finishing positions eg winners qualify before 2nd place getters? Run them all on the same day 3 or 4 weeks prior to the Jericho Cup itself?

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 2:34pm
This Sunday.

Race 8 - 4:55PM Haymes Paint Jericho Cup (4600 METRES)Times displayed in local time of Race Meeting
Of $292,000.1st $150,000, 2nd $50,000, 3rd $30,000, 4th $18,000, 5th $10,000, 6th $8,000, 7th $7,000, 8th $7,000, 9th $6,000, 10th $6,000, 11th $3,000, 12th $3,000, 13th $3,000, 14th $3,000
BenchMark 90, Highweight, Minimum Weight 64kg, Apprentices cannot claim.

Track Name: Main Track Type: Turf Track Condition: Good 4 

Field Limit: 14 + 4 EM

NoLast 10HorseTrainerJockeyBarrierWeightPenaltyHcp Rating
17276x11421 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDg3MTU2NjAxMTI%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTEzMzc4OTI4" rel="nofollow - ABLAZE (NZ) https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MjEyMDMyNDY0&trainername=Ciaron+Maher+%26+David+Eustace" rel="nofollow - Ciaron Maher & David Eustace https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NDY3OTc0NzY5OTI%3d" rel="nofollow - John Allen 370kg74
201560x7339 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDY2NjY3OTM4MjQ%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTUxMTI5OTg0" rel="nofollow - PLYMOUTH ROAD (NZ) https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTEyOTA5MjE2&trainername=Matthew+Williams" rel="nofollow - Matthew Williams https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=MzM0NTI1ODU2MA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - Paul Hamblin 1269.5kg73
38x89821147 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDkwODQ2OTI3MjA%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTA5ODY2NzA5NTY4" rel="nofollow - AIGNE (NZ) https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTkzNzg5MTEwNDgw&trainername=Neil+ODowd" rel="nofollow - Neil O'Dowd https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NjMxNDgyODU3Ng%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - Michael Roustoby 1169kg72
44x66222131 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDY2Mjg4NDc1NTI%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTcwNDQ3MDcy" rel="nofollow - DA DEPUTY https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTE1NTQ5Mjgw&trainername=David+%26+B+Hayes+%26+T+Dabernig" rel="nofollow - David & B Hayes & T Dabernig https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NDY2MDU1Nzk2NjQ%3d" rel="nofollow - Clayton Douglas 1568.5kg71
5270x734521 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDc4MTU2MjEzOTI%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTU3MzExODI0" rel="nofollow - WHERE ARE YOU (NZ) https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTg0NTA3MDA4&trainername=Shaune+Ritchie" rel="nofollow - Shaune Ritchie https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=Njc4NjM2ODE3Ng%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - Darryl Horner (Jnr) 667kg72
6x033677604 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=OTM2Mzk0NDQ2NA%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMjEyMzI1NTUy" rel="nofollow - ALIENATED https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTA3MDM0MTQ0&trainername=Cliff+Murray" rel="nofollow - Cliff Murray https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=MTkxNjUyNjIwMDk2" rel="nofollow - Bradley Thomas-Rantall 566kg66
71251160941 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=OTI0OTk0NzYxNg%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMjEyMzE2MjU2" rel="nofollow - FIREFREE https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTA3MDM0MTQ0&trainername=Cliff+Murray" rel="nofollow - Cliff Murray https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NjQyMTY5NTM5Mg%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - Tom Ryan 465.5kg65
833L6x63432 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDY5NDMyNzU0NTY%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTUwNzIwOTYw" rel="nofollow - GOLDEN FLAG (NZ) https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=NDI2OTczNjQ2NA%3d%3d&trainername=Patrick+F+Ryan+Jnr" rel="nofollow - Patrick F Ryan Jnr https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NzAxMjAwMDY4OA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - Richard Cully 864.5kg63
9881145x476 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDY3MTE5MDczMTI%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTg3MzU2NDk2" rel="nofollow - HELLO MY FRIEND VOBIS Gold Bonus Scheme https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTkxNDgwNzM3MDU2&trainername=Charlotte+Littlefield" rel="nofollow - Charlotte Littlefield https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NjMzNDUxNzUwNA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - Lee Horner 764kg64
102834348212 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDY3NTQxMDE4NTY%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTcwMDQ3MzQ0" rel="nofollow - PRETTY MAMA (NZ) https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTA5NzAyMDk2&trainername=John+Salanitri" rel="nofollow - John Salanitri https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=Nzg2Mzc3NDU3Ng%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - Shaun Phelan 264kg62
110093033358 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDY1MjAwMzc4NzI%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTk5MzY2OTI4" rel="nofollow - CRAFTY CRUISER https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTEwNzQzMjQ4&trainername=Bryce+Stanaway" rel="nofollow - Bryce Stanaway https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=MTkzNTg0OTIzODQw" rel="nofollow - Ronan Short 1064kg58
1227600x6571 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDY2NjYzOTQwOTY%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTgwNjgxOTY4" rel="nofollow - TEN TIGERS https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTIzNjM2ODAw&trainername=Barbara+Joseph" rel="nofollow - Barbara Joseph https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NzAxNjQ4MTM2MA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - Arron Lynch 1664kg57
138547436162 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDY1ODIyNjUyOTY%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMjA5ODUyODE2" rel="nofollow - DEXLUTHER https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=NDY2NzMwMzE0NDA%3d&trainername=Daniel+Robinson" rel="nofollow - Daniel Robinson https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=NjIzNTk3OTkwNA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - Buddy Lammas 1764kg52
142095824973 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=OTE1NDQ5NjI4OA%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTk5Mzc2MjI0" rel="nofollow - VENTURA HIGHWAY VOBIS Gold Bonus Scheme https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTEwNzQzMjQ4&trainername=Bryce+Stanaway" rel="nofollow - Bryce Stanaway https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=MTkzNDk0NDgzMDU2" rel="nofollow - Will Gordon 1464kg49
15e3214x05048 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDY2NTk2OTE2ODA%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMjE2NDI1MDg4" rel="nofollow - BEMBOKA QUEEN https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTkxNTU4NDg4ODAw&trainername=Jack+Laing" rel="nofollow - Jack Laing https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=MA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - 164kg65
16e7492533143 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=NDY4MTk0MzQxNDQ%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMjA3Mjk2NDE2" rel="nofollow - WOLFE TONE (NZ) https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=NjYwMzY5MjQ4MA%3d%3d&trainername=Francis+Finnegan" rel="nofollow - Francis Finnegan https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=MA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - 1364kg62
17e5033512325 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=ODg2MzIyNDcyMA%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTczOTk4MTQ0" rel="nofollow - GOLDEN GEE https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=NTA4MjYwNjU5Mg%3d%3d&trainername=Greg+Hayes" rel="nofollow - Greg Hayes https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=MA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - 1864kg60
18e8302572660 https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/HorseFullForm.aspx?horsecode=OTA1OTE5MzY5Ng%3d%3d&src=horseform&raceentry=MTEwMTcyNTM4Njcy" rel="nofollow - CUBAN FIGHTER https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/TrainerLastRuns.aspx?trainercode=MTMzODYyNDAw&trainername=Darren+Kolpin" rel="nofollow - Darren Kolpin https://www.racingaustralia.horse/InteractiveForm/JockeyLastRuns.aspx?jockeycode=MA%3d%3d" rel="nofollow - 964kg53

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 2:35pm
Da Deputy
Where Are You
Wolfe Tonne

BOXED. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com