Print Page | Close Window

Fires - Victoria

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=53046
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 3:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fires - Victoria
Posted By: Gay3
Subject: Fires - Victoria
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 2:01pm
Probably not a bad idea to have a thread for latest fires info plus it's a bit slow on the forum today excluding 'important' PMs Wink

http://warnings.cfa.vic.gov.au/" rel="nofollow - http://warnings.cfa.vic.gov.au/

This is an Emergency Warning issued by Department of Environment and Primary Industries for Moyston.

There is a fast moving out of control grassfire travelling in a South Easterly direction from Better Route Road towards Moyston.
This fire may impact within the next half hour.
You are in danger, act now to protect yourself.
It is too late to leave. The safest option is to take shelter indoors immediately.

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Replies:
Posted By: Fiddlesticks
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 4:31pm
perhaps if so much land wasn't cleared of trees for farming there wouldn't be such torrid drought conditions in these areas..

-------------
Panspermia.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 4:53pm
The only thing wrong with that statement is most fires in Vic start in the bush. Many of the grassland ones are the result of faulty electricity wires which are often close to roads,also cigarrette butts. I think we need to accept they're a fact of Oz life wherever you live as they've been occurring since the continent evolved, according to Dreamtime stories.

-------------

Posted By: Mr White
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 5:09pm
There are a few big fires right now up around Moyston

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 5:09pm
Fuel is required for fire to feed.  No fuel no fire.
The more rain we receive the greater amount of fuel growth, so when conditions dry out we're presented with a potential powderkeg situation.

A trifle simplistic but essentially correct.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 5:11pm

Extreme heat forecast raises fire fears statewide

Sophie Aubrey, Alex White and Annika Smethurst
Herald Sun
January 02, 2015 4:42PM

A fire is burning out of control near Moyston. Picture: Will Pristel @wpristel7, Channel 7

UPDATE: PROPERTIES southeast of Moyston are now under threat by a fast-moving, out-of-control grassfire.

An updated Emergency Warning has been issued for Moyston, Rocky Point and Willaura North, with a 1750ha grassfire travelling in a south-easterly direction past the township of Moyston and towards Burrumbeep Rd and Andrews Lane.

The alert warns that properties south-east of Moyston, at Maroona, may be impacted in the next-half hour.

Firefighters have bolstered their efforts to battle the Moyston blaze, with 61 trucks and 9 aircraft now responding.

Ambulance Victoria spokesman John Mullen a man, in his 50s, suffering from smoke inhalation was being treated by paramedics at the Moyston Primary School staging area.

The fire is travelling in a south-easterly direction, fanned by strong northerly winds, past Moyston located 15km west of Ararat in the high-risk Grampians region.

Residents have been told it’s too late to leave and to take shelter indoors with some receiving emergency text messages.

A separate Watch and Act warning has been issued for residents of Gre Gre and St Arnaud, with a small grassfire burning from Swanwater in a south-easterly direction at the intersection of the Sunraysia Highway.

The fire is not yet under control.

Road closures are being put in place and include: Ararat and Halls Gap Rd near the Rhymney intersection, Ararat and Halls Gap Rd at Pomonal, Moyston Willaura Rd, Moyston Great Western Rd and Moyston Dunkeld Rd.

Ararat Relief Centre is located at the Ararat Town Hall at the corner of Barkly and Vincent Sts.

A State Control Centre spokeswoman said the large fire was first reported at 11.50am and quickly spread.

It has grown from 100ha when first reported to 1750ha in less than three hours.

Road closures are being put in place and include: Ararat and Halls Gap Road near the Rhymney intersection, Moyston Willaura Road, Moyston Great Western Road and Moyston Dunkeld Road.

The CFA have also issued a Watch and Act alert for residents in Rocky Point, Cathcart, Denicull Creek, Maroona and Langi Logan, urging them to flee now as conditions may worsen.

The fire is predicted to move east towards these areas after the forecast wind change later this evening.

“Don’t wait, leaving now is the safest option,” the alert reads.

BE FIRE READY

SEVEN-DAY FORECAST

The CFA has more than 50 water aircraft on standby and hundreds of fighters at the ready with temperatures of 39C expected today and 43C tomorrow across the state.

Extreme alerts will be issued in the state’s southwest from today, with the heat creeping towards 40C in Hamilton and Colac.

The warnings will be extended to the north central district tomorrow, including Mildura, Swan Hill and Horsham which can expect highs of 43C and winds up to 40km/h.

Emergency Management Commissioner Craig Lapsley said today that warnings could be sent to Victorians in the early hours of Saturday morning as firefighters expect hot overnight temperatures to create extreme fire danger conditions.

He warned that Victoria would wake up tomorrow with extreme fire danger ratings in five weather districts, but said firefighters were on top of the situation so far.

He said potentially dangerous wind changes would hit the state tomorrow morning.

“A lot of people think of fire in the afternoon. We’ve got the scenario now ... if we’ve got fires, they will run in the night and into tomorrow morning,” he told 3AW today.

“In the southwest of the state the critical time will be tomorrow morning in the sense that it is going to be extremely dry.”

Total fire bans have been declared in eight of the state’s nine districts.

According to the CFA, high-risk areas include; Ararat, Warrnambool, Corangamite and the south Grampians.

The approximate burned area of the Moyston fire. Picture: CFA
The approximate burned area of the Moyston fire. Picture: CFA

However, residents across the state are being urged to be alert with severe warnings issued for the Mallee, the Wimmera, Northern Country and the central districts.

The dangerous conditions across the state come as a woman was arrested over a spate of grass fires in Victoria’s north.

Arson squad detectives arrested a 49-year-old Tatura woman after emergency crews were called to a grass fire in Tatura, near Shepparton, about 3.20am today.

Police are investigating a similar grass fire started about the same time on Tuesday, and there’s been at least 40 other similar fires in Tatura in the past year.

Arson squad Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Eric Harbis said it was lucky no one’s been hurt or property damaged.

“As we head into the higher temperatures this weekend, we are really calling on members of the community to be vigilant and keep an eye out for any suspicious activity with regards to fires,” he said.

“These acts can devastate communities so if you see something, say something.”

Authorities are also appealing to parents and pet owners to not leave children or animals in cars in severe heat.

CFA state control centre spokeswoman Sophie Griffin said temperatures could become deadly inside a car within minutes.

“Hot cars can kill,’’ she said.

“Do not leave anyone in a parked car, even for a few minutes. There are no excuses and no exceptions.’’

Figures from Ambulance Victoria showed emergency crews responded to more than 20 call-outs a week for children as young as six left in unattended cars. In 2013, 39 children were affected so badly they were taken to hospital.

Tests by Ambulance Victoria show outside temperatures of 29C would mean 44C inside a car within 10 minutes and 60C within 20 minutes.

With temperatures expected to peak at higher than 40C in the coming days, children and animals could suffer irreparable damage within minutes.

Police said parents found guilty could be imprisoned for three months under the Crimes Act.

alex.white@news.com.au

Posted By: Whale
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 6:00pm
Moyston fire halted.

Downgraded from emergency to watch and act

-------------
Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 7:03pm
just saw some footage on TV news.   pretty awful for the locals involved.

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: James Bond Esq
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 9:21pm
Tomorrow will be bad.

Posted By: mowie
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

perhaps if so much land wasn't cleared of trees for farming there wouldn't be such torrid drought conditions in these areas..

yes cose 100 trees would cause rain deary meeeeeeeeee!

stunned more fires didn't arise with that wind

-------------
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 8:59am
Released 10mins ago & unsurpising as the wind is horrendous Disapprove

There is the risk of a fast moving, out of control grassfire travelling in a south-westerly direction from Burrumbeep Road towards Maroona. This is the southern edge of the Better Route Rd - Moyston grassfire that started yesterday.

Maroona could be impacted anytime within the next 2 hours.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 10:47am

CONDITIONS UPDATE - PLEASE SHARE: Weather conditions are dynamic, and some parts of western, south west and central Victoria will peak above extreme fire danger for 2-3 hours this morning and into the early afternoon.

The area most at risk of the spike includes the corner from Warrnambool to Horsham and Bendigo to Geelong. A predicted wind change will add to the danger.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 10:58am
Sounds really bad for Vic and S.A. today.  Stay safe as you can folks.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 12:37pm
Could you believe the police have arrested another fire bug at the location of the fire he started. A teenager was charged and will appear in court.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 12:39pm
Yes  Evil Smile  which location?

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 12:43pm
Gay3 it was at Meadow Heights. Here is a cut and paste from the Melbourne Herald Sun web page

Overnight, a Meadow Heights boy, 17, was arrested after allegedly lighting a grassfire in Meadow Heights.

As temperatures hovered around 30C in Melbourne, emergency services were called to a grassfire in Cassinia Cres about 8.40pm.

MFB spokesman David Rankine said it took fire crews about half an hour to control the blaze.

The boy was arrested at the scene and Victoria Police spokeswoman Kelly Yates said he was charged with reckless conduct endangering life and reckless conduct endangering serious injury.

He was also charged with recklessly causing a bushfire, and lighting a fire during a fire danger period and on a total fire ban day.

The teen was bailed to appear at a children’s court.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 12:51pm
Ta, it makes sense, the bigger the populace, the higher the risk of nutters with no respect Wacko

-------------

Posted By: James Bond Esq
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 12:54pm
cant wait for the cool change.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 11:45pm
any updates on the fires in Vic and S A ?
any rain to help ?

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:46pm
https://www.facebook.com/cfavic/?fref=nf" rel="nofollow - CFA (Country Fire Authority)
https://www.facebook.com/cfavic/posts/10154042011754416" rel="nofollow - - - 14 mins ·

Watch and Act
Issued For: Learmonth, Glendaruel, Coghills Creek
Fire Origin: MOUNT BOLTON
Incident Name: LAVERYS RD
Issued: 23/02/16 4:26 PM
This is a Watch and Act message issued by Country Fire Authority for Learmonth, Glendaruel, Coghills Creek. Terry Kelly has a large property there so am hoping they're ok.

There is a medium grass and scrub fire travelling quickly in an easterly direction towards Coghills Creek Road. A south westerly wind change is expected which will cause the fire to head in a north easterly direction towards Glendaruel. People in Glendaruel are advised to leave now and head towards Clunes. People in Learmonth and Coghills Creek are advised to leave now and head towards Ballarat.

This grassfire is currently not yet under control.

Spot fires and ember attacks are starting up to 1.5 km ahead of the main fire.

The wind's changed thankfully so Miners Rest & the Racecourse should be ok Smile

https://www.facebook.com/cfavic/?fref=nf" rel="nofollow - CFA (Country Fire Authority)
https://www.facebook.com/cfavic/posts/10154041941289416" rel="nofollow - - - 1 hr ·

Emergency Warning
Issued For: Somerville
Fire Origin: SOMERVILLE
Incident Name: FRANKSTON-FLINDERS RD
Issued: 23/02/16 3:28 PM
This is an Emergency Warning issued by Country Fire Authority for Somerville.

There is a fast moving, out of control grassfire travelling in a southerly direction from Frankston Flinders Rd near Raymond St Somerville.

.You are in danger, act now to protect yourself.
It is too late to leave. The safest option is to take shelter indoors immediately.

-------------

Posted By: stayer
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 5:01pm
Haven't looked into how bad this fire is, but was just saying at work how lucky we've been with fires this summer, compared to other horror summers. The heat and wind today reminded me of how deadly those conditions can be. It seems we've had less fire bugs too thank god. Good to feel a storm coming.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 5:56pm
My brother, RFS Capt. at Deniliquin, tells me the Vic media ran lead stories that this is the last hot spell of summer which apparently leads all the loonies to have a last fling. Vic fires = 150 today & NSW has 6, tho' I was a bit slow to mention NSW has been generally a tad wetter than Vic Wink
We look like dodging the bullet as it's now headed WNW for the next 2 days but he did say they won't be too worried about the Sthn border, rather concentrating on holding the front before reaching B'go as it's all tinder dry grassland form there up.
There doesn't seem to be a copy facility or I'd put up the map (CFA).

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:10pm
As always, the guys 'n' gals have done a phenomenal job averting what could well have been catastrophic as both fires are now Watch & Acts & going by the map, appear to be controlled or close to Clap Clap Clap Clap

-------------

Posted By: stayer
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:19pm

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 9:00pm
Police have arrested and charged a man following reports he allegedly started a fire in East Gippsland last night.

The 36-year-old man, of no fixed address, is accused of starting a fire in Johnsonville, east of Bairnsdale.

He was arrested on Punt Road, Johnsonville, at about 6.45pm.

The man was charged with recklessly causing a bushfire, as well as drug related offences.

He will appear at the Bairnsdale Magistrates’ Court today.

A watch and act message is currently in place for Johnsonville.

-------------

Posted By: VSP.
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 9:30pm
What do you do with a no-hoper like that Unhappy

-------------
www.snowshoecats.webs.com

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 9:45pm
Sadly he's not on his own, 98 arrests in Qld. and New.South. now another in tassie,

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 9:46pm
10 years on, were the Greens to blame ?

Was there back burning prior to this tragedy ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Flight
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 10:46am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

10 years on, were the Greens to blame ?

Was there back burning prior to this tragedy ?

Do you live in the city djebel?

Back burning would have not stopped what is happening now.  Back burning would have been the equivalent of straw burning in a bonfire.  The country is dry resulting in dry winds that take the moisture out of leaves and plants.  

"Normal" bush fires can be contained by clearing and back burning.  There is nothing normal about these fires.

Also, I am constantly amused by the reference to the Greens.  It's almost becoming an urban myth.  Would someone please refresh my memory and advise when the Greens were in power and when they passed legislation that banned back burning? And the title of the Act.  I can't seem to find it.........

-------------
“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:11am
I say dont bother arresting these people.  Just turn them around and march them at gun point right back into the fire they have lit, and shoot them if they try to get out.
The world has no use for people like these.

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:20am
You would wonder how bushfire arsonists ever get caught. In the middle of the Woop Woop State forest. Nobody within miles.

-------------
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Posted By: jujuno
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:21am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I say dont bother arresting these people.  Just turn them around and march them at gun point right back into the fire they have lit, and shoot them if they try to get out.
The world has no use for people like these.

A shame there aren't more like the man who drove a truckload of new clothes up to the relief centres in Victoria...or the Sikh Volunteers Australia, who are donating hot meals for those displaced people...

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:25am

-------------

Posted By: Baghdad Bob
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:27am
Do not know about in NSW, but in Victoria the Andrews government has become dependent on the Greens preferences and as a consequence .....
A.the wiped out of the mountain cattlemen, resulting in cattle no longer grazing in the highlands
B.almost eliminated  the logging industry felling trees for timber for building houses. The timber mills not only replanted new trees but built tracks into the forests that firefighters once used to get to the bush fires.
C.the Andrews government, under pressure from the Greens, is proposing to cull brumbies in the high country.

All of the above combined to and will reduce the undergrowth that is now fueling bush fires 

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:36am
Well, the fires are into the high country now , so they will wipe out some of those 19 thousand brumbies the greens claim are in the Kosi Park.Wacko Not sure how the Pitt Street Pollies worked that number out, as cant imagine them up their in the chinos and loafers, brumby counting.  Ot maybe they get someone else to count the poo drops and multiply it by 4 ?

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:39am
The good people do far outweigh the bad, thats for sure.
But I dont know wht they even bother doing court and all the rest of it, with arsonists. 
I think some that get caught are seen,  or photoed,  and dobbed in. 

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Do not know about in NSW, but in Victoria the Andrews government has become dependent on the Greens preferences and as a consequence .....UTTER RUBBISH.  LABOR HAS AN ABSOLUTE MAJORITY IN THE LOWER HOUSE.  IT IS THREE SHORT OF AN ABSOLUTE MAJORITY IN THE UPPER HOUSE WHERE THERE ARE 11 INDEPENDENT/MINOR REPRESENTATIVES, ONLY ONE OF WHOM IS A GREENS MEMBER.  YOU DON'T KNOW JACK SHYT.  

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Run For Fun Run For Fun wrote:

We're ok near Wangaratta at the moment, though you can't see 60m for the dust and smoke.  Lost iron from two shelters yesterday during high winds and mares and foals were lucky not to get hit.  We secured the structures for about 45 mins in ambient temps over 50 degrees and were totally stuffed by the time we finished.  And too hot to even contemplate a beer afterwards. 

Others not so lucky.  Sister and hubby live just south of Kinglake.  Four friends have lost their lives whilst another couple spent last night with Jen after their house was destroyed.  They themselves are now in some danger and if it gets really nasty will be evacuating rather than seeking to protect their property.

More than 10 years ago this one , so the cycle for another disaster was due .
Only gets worse with lots more people populating these high risk areas.
Terrible ordeal for so many .

Most of us powerless to help, apart from some donations to aid the cause .

We still have 3 months of Summer to face so God knows what these people have to face.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 12:37pm
So let me get this straight, Rightards - if your decisions are influenced by someone else, but it's your decision, you don't accept full responsibility for the decision. Is that how you conduct your own affairs.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 12:45pm
The buck stops with the Greens. The Greens - anywhere but here.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Do not know about in NSW, but in Victoria the Andrews government has become dependent on the Greens preferencess and as a consequence .....UTTER RUBBISH.  LABOR HAS AN ABSOLUTE MAJORITY IN THE LOWER HOUSE.  IT IS THREE SHORT OF AN ABSOLUTE MAJORITY IN THE UPPER HOUSE WHERE THERE ARE 11 INDEPENDENT/MINOR REPRESENTATIVES, ONLY ONE OF WHOM IS A GREENS MEMBER.  YOU DON'T KNOW JACK SHYT.  
Did you actually read what I wrote ?
Green preferences get the ALP into government. SC, there is a difference between preferences on election day and votes in the house.

Posted By: TJMitchell
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:04pm
I'd say I'm surprised at how quickly this turned into a left v right thread but I'm not. Spend more time focusing on the important gelati right now.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:50pm
Seems every subject on here quickly becomes a place for everyone to beat their political drum lately.

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: jujuno
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

thank you, PT...I gave it three goes before throwing in the towel. 

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Posted By: Dr E
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 6:04pm
The same fcuk knuckles in the ALP/Greens and their biased left leaning media are calling for a "Royal Commission" because of the "Unprecedented ... Rrrrrreeeeee!!!" bushfires.

Yep and when they conducted the Royal Commission after the 2009 Victorian Fires, what were the recommendations?

* The Commission recognises that prescribed burning is risky, resource intensive, available only in limited time frames, and can temporarily have adverse effects on local communities (for example, reduced air quality). Nonetheless, it considers that the amount of prescribed burning occurring in Victoria is inadequate

* An additional fire rating beyond "Extreme"

So, which one did Daniel Andrews file in the bottom draw?

Hint ... the fire danger was "CATASTROPHIC ... Rrrrrrrreeeeeee!!!"Cry, but the State Forests remain locked up and Green Activists who successfully stop fuel reduction burns cop a slap on the wrist ...

Well done Greenie Dan!! ... I think they call that MANSLAUGHTER.Clap

When tf will you dopey Mexicans stop voting for him, and lynch this fraud?Embarrassed

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 6:07pm
Genuine, reciprocated handshakes.  

Unlike the lardass who followed a forced handshake by clearly turning his back on unwilling recipient who shock horror began to query the National response.  No apologies for this comment, as our PM's responses to the devastation show him up for what he is: a totally brilliant communicator but essentially a straw man.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 6:15pm

Do not know about in NSW, but in Victoria the Andrews government has become dependent on the Greens preferences and as a consequence .....
A.the wiped out of the mountain cattlemen, resulting in cattle no longer grazing in the highlands
B.almost eliminated  the logging industry felling trees for timber for building houses. The timber mills not only replanted new trees but built tracks into the forests that firefighters once used to get to the bush fires.
C.the Andrews government, under pressure from the Greens, is proposing to cull brumbies in the high country.

All of the above combined to and will reduce the undergrowth that is now fueling bush fires 

Clap ... have a read of the 2009 Vic Bushfire "Royal Commission" ... the idiots are all calling for another one!Confused

It says that "fuel reduction is inadequate" and that they needed a "fire condition warning above 'Emergency'". 

... and the HYSTERICAL Greenies got their way with "CATASTROPHIC" fire warnings, and the National Parks got locked up.

but, but, but, the Greens are not in Government, are they Dan!!!Embarrassed

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 6:22pm
Will Daniel Andrews be up on Manslaughter charges after this ... or do you think he has shaken hands with enough minority groups to make him safe in Victoriastan?

Will Albo come to the rescue and have himself photoshopped into the picture, making a sandwich? ... better still, maybe he could actually make a sandwich for someone who is making a difference - like ScoMo!

Forget the Fake Climate Alarm, the virtue signalling ALP/Greens are the most toxic fraud and dangerous thing ever imposed on our economy and our environment.

These "UNPRECEDENTED" bushfires are all their fault.

We sure did dodge a bullet in May.

How good? ScoMo is VERY good!Hug

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 6:50pm
Doc now clearly many lengths ahead of Bob in the "bullshyt baiting totally nonsensical post of the year" award.Clap

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 7:01pm

Doc now clearly many lengths ahead of Bob in the "bullshyt baiting totally nonsensical post of the year" award.Clap

It's wide open folks!!!Star

You find it such a challenge to believe anything that Greta or PT didn't say, anybody could potentially win this award by posting literally anything!!LOLLOLLOL

http://royalcommission.vic.gov.au/finaldocuments/summary/PF/VBRC_Summary_PF.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://royalcommission.vic.gov.au/finaldocuments/summary/PF/VBRC_Summary_PF.pdf

Posted By: rusty nails
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 7:29pm
WTF!

Doc actually providing a link that’s actually on topic AND from a reputable source.

Someone hack his account?

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 7:38pm
Thanks Rusty and Doc for reminding us of the Report following the disastrous fires 10 years ago now.  That's why the following article is now so timely and prescient: 

Andrews has spent years preparing for this crisis. And it shows

By  https://www.theage.com.au/by/noel-towell-hven2" rel="nofollow - Daniel Andrews has long feared that these days would come.

The Premier has been both dreading this crisis and preparing for it for 11 years.

It’s bad, very bad and it could get worse.

We’re only halfway, at best, through this emergency and already the human toll of these fires looks grim, with two confirmed dead at the time of writing and grave fears held for the safety of the 28 people “unaccounted for”.

But it is no Black Saturday, which killed 173 people and with serious failings later uncovered in the state’s preparation and response.

Andrews, whose ability to learn from mistakes is formidable, was a senior minister in February 2009 and the horror of those fires has stayed with him.

There’s no doubting his determination to prevent another Black Saturday.

The Premier and his colleagues endured political misery for their efforts to reform the fire services amid constant claims the Labor government was “destroying” the Country Fire Authority.

But the CFA has looked anything but a destroyed organisation in recent days.

The volunteers have been magnificent, as always but their commanders have looked well-organised, competent and calm. It has been an effective effort. So far.

Andrews certainly thinks so, feeling confident enough to declare on Friday that the most contentious of his reforms, the merging of the CFA with the Melbourne Fire Brigade, has clicked in this emergency.

There’s another big difference this time. The “leave now” message could not be further removed from the “stay or go” advice that proved so disastrous in February 2009.

The simple message, delivered in tough language, looks to have worked in moving people out of the danger zones in large numbers.

It’s too early to say how history will judge the Andrews government for its response to this crisis. Failures of strategy and tactics often only emerge in the days and weeks after the smoke has cleared, just like they did after Black Saturday.

But leadership matters too and in that respect Andrews is giving a lesson to his mate Prime Minister Scott Morrison whose response at times has been hard to look at.

The Premier was back from his holiday promptly on Monday night, as the first reports of property loss began to emerge, being briefed at the State Control Centre, and he fronted the media the next day.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/bushfire-victim-slams-scott-morrison-for-walking-away-20200103-p53omq.html" rel="nofollow - Add to shortlist

There was no hesitation from Andrews in asking Morrison for military assistance or to get out to the fire grounds; he showed up and he kept showing up.

Nobody on Spring Street can remember a leader dragging the media to a conference at nearly 11 o’clock at night as the Premier did on Thursday to declare the sweeping State of Disaster powers, another post-Black Saturday innovation.

Nor has Andrews had the media criticism over his response that Morrison has copped since the infamous Hawaii episode and if social media is any guide, people are finding in the Premier the leadership they believe is lacking elsewhere.

But Andrews’ sure-footed effort shouldn’t come as a surprise; he’s been planning it for years.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 7:41pm
LOLNew Years Resolution rusty ... naaaah! 

It is quite a depressing read in fact ... the green activist bureaucrats and "advisers" were clearly more interested in getting an "amp that goes up to 11", than stopping the fire threat ... and Dan did their dirty work ... crazy stuff, and proves again - we need a Royal Commission into Royal Commissions!Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 7:50pm
SC, you notice that there is NO MENTION OF PREVENTION ... just how to make sure he is filmed presiding over a "CATASTROPHE" reather than a mere "emergency" ... and that he can blame Climate Change and the indigenous communitoies have access to a fire app fiddlesticks ...

Dan is guilty of willful criminal negligence in my opinion ... he locked the bush up after being told that they needed to do much more backburning ... and the people who have lost property or worse their lives have one person to blame ... and it's not Izzy.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:16pm
SC, you have gone to ground once I pointed out to you preferences were only applicable in an election and not about voting in the Houses of Parliament,
It appears you, not I, as you inferred, that knows Jack all about preferences as distinct from voting in parliament.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 10:51am
WinkWink

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 11:00am
https://postimages.org/" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 11:31am

SC, you have gone to ground once I pointed out to you preferences were only applicable in an election and not about voting in the Houses of Parliament,
It appears you, not I, as you inferred, that knows Jack all about preferences as distinct from voting in parliament.

Again you talk absolute nonsense as Labor did rely on Greens preferences to form Government at the last two elections.  Indeed Labor publicly distanced itself from the Greens prior to the most recent election.

As it transpired the Greens polled poorly, managing only three in the Lower House.  Labor would have won a clear majority in the Lower House had not a single Greens preference vote gone to Labor.

PartyPrimary votes%SwingSeatsChange
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Labor_Party_%28Victorian_Branch%29" rel="nofollow - Labor 1,506,46742.86+4.7755+8
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Party_of_Australia_%28Victorian_Division%29" rel="nofollow - Liberal 1,069,14630.42−6.0421−9
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Greens_Victoria" rel="nofollow - Greens 376,70410.72−0.763+1*
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Party_of_Australia_%E2%80%93_Victoria" rel="nofollow - National 167,6254.77−0.766−2

Distribution of seats[ https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Victorian_Legislative_Assembly&action=edit&section=4" rel="nofollow - edit ]

PartySeats held
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Labor_Party_%28Victorian_Branch%29" rel="nofollow - Labor 55
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_%28Australia%29" rel="nofollow - Liberal/National Coalition (27)
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Party_of_Australia_%28Victorian_Division%29" rel="nofollow - Liberal 21
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Party_of_Australia_%E2%80%93_Victoria" rel="nofollow - National 6
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Greens_Victoria" rel="nofollow - Greens 3
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_%28politician%29" rel="nofollow - Independent 3
Total88

You just talk in an uninformed manner without any facts whatsoever, and that's a fact.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 11:41am

Greens blame Labor attacks and preference deals for disappointing Victorian election

This article is more than 1 year old

Amid huge swings to Daniel Andrews’ government, the Greens could see party room cut in half when parliament returns

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/25/greens-blame-labor-attacks-and-preference-deals-for-disappointing-victorian-election" rel="nofollow - http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/25/greens-blame-labor-attacks-and-preference-deals-for-disappointing-victorian-election

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 11:53am

Government rejected major air-tanker expansion

By  https://www.theage.com.au/by/david-crowe-h0waa9" rel="nofollow - The nation's aerial firefighting centre called four years ago for a "national large air-tanker" fleet to confront a growing bushfire threat but was turned down in a federal government ruling that the task was one for the states.

The National Aerial Firefighting Centre, which oversees a fleet of 145 aircraft, warned of hotter and more extended bushfire seasons in a call on governments in May 2016 to establish the major new capability.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 12:25pm
So, how bout these fires ay?

Yeah, kissin' virtue signalling, left, green, scomo, rightard, labour fires that they are

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 12:57pm

Again you talk absolute nonsense as Labor did rely on Greens preferences to form Government at the last two elections.  Indeed Labor publicly distanced itself from the Greens prior to the most recent election.

As it transpired the Greens polled poorly, managing only three in the Lower House.  Labor would have won a clear majority in the Lower House had not a single Greens preference vote gone to Labor.

PartyPrimary votes%SwingSeatsChange
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Labor_Party_%28Victorian_Branch%29" rel="nofollow - Labor 1,506,46742.86+4.7755+8
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Party_of_Australia_%28Victorian_Division%29" rel="nofollow - Liberal 1,069,14630.42−6.0421−9
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Greens_Victoria" rel="nofollow - Greens 376,70410.72−0.763+1*
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Party_of_Australia_%E2%80%93_Victoria" rel="nofollow - National 167,6254.77−0.766−2

Distribution of seats[ https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Victorian_Legislative_Assembly&action=edit&section=4" rel="nofollow - edit ]

PartySeats held
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Labor_Party_%28Victorian_Branch%29" rel="nofollow - Labor 55
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_%28Australia%29" rel="nofollow - Liberal/National Coalition (27)
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Party_of_Australia_%28Victorian_Division%29" rel="nofollow - Liberal 21
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Party_of_Australia_%E2%80%93_Victoria" rel="nofollow - National 6
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Greens_Victoria" rel="nofollow - Greens 3
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_%28politician%29" rel="nofollow - Independent 3
Total88

You just talk in an uninformed manner without any facts whatsoever, and that's a fact.

So I talk absolute nonsense ? In the 2018 Victorian state election the following seats changed from Liberal to the ALP, however in if we had first past the post elections the Liberals would have won,however after distribution of Green preferences the ALP won.....
 Bass, Bayswater, Box Hill, Burwood, Hawthorn, Mt Waverley, Nepean, Ringwood and South Barwon.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 1:06pm
Well why don't you tell us all if you don't believe that the emergency website and constant media updates aren't quite sufficient.

Maybe some like myself have the Victorian emergency siteopen all day to keep abreast of the latest, including current alerts in two separate locations where relatives' homes are under serious threat.

And just so sorry I find it necessary to explain to climate denier Baghdad Bob that blaming the Greens, who I have little time for, can hardly be held responsible for the appalling apocalypse.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 10:43am

Jockey urges punters to donate

Kate Watts & Carl Di Iorio

4 January, 2020

Jockey Jamie Kah has urged punters to donate funds towards Australia’s Bushfire Disaster Appeal.

Kah pledged to donate double her riding fee and any prizemoney earned from her three rides at Caulfield on Saturday.

The South Australian jockey finished fourth aboard Zoushack, Licko’paint and Ocean’s Fourteen ensuring her donation would amount to over approximately $3200.

The 24-year-old suggested donating to the Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service, an Australian organisation that’s aiding the animals caught up in the bushfires.

"Every cent counts, they're getting worse, they're not going to get better anytime soon."

“Everybody knows the tragedy going on at the moment and there’s so many different organisations that need help at the moment,” Kah said.

“The whole country is in flames at the moment, every cent counts. Just donate what you can.”

The Australian bushfire season (since August 1) has burned an estimated 5.9 million hectares, destroyed over 2,500 buildings and killed at least 24 people, with several persons missing in Victoria.

https://www.facebook.com/cranbourneturfclub/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARD21ibM-rpZkjjFCJiFTAjlvMk35sL61hoFGq18YcYdpGIWSRxxZtHEeqbROw4KgAhp5W9ms5P5MFe1&hc_ref=ARQkuBAByhlqNjjCwecRXcsQEUq6ww6UDQzUurJsmR4WxGdyywh0lEX6YqbEwv36dzM&fref=nf&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBVDKIMDQfXzuJQTHX6cX4C5bbV7nHUgK3iWRwbOrG6r-leoUvcsSQkI8GGJpM5VLxaQRPIi4zPaxQy5Lk9xBMOYaTTYkDSmwdQ7d-tWEXJodgeBK8aglPulfIPr-2BVcd725PyTXR5cP5Jzadmn1MMiDceYMVMXkD3LXshNzd1M3HNBz3TuPhK7RPuWcALmGUkm4O0PjD8URjK4htbU6YAdhC3QXipP1t0q9UvA1wVAZQGy0w5sTDsUJtifdrLSSy_9vrpJaL5iYrvxPVYgkhdRP8yP-LsJ2jg13zH1r1IyKmrvi9yXdXIxiJwg7uVB4LP3fJGz2JJ_a-t6-F3yghLMA" rel="nofollow - Cranbourne Turf Club
https://www.facebook.com/cranbourneturfclub/posts/2896023477095976?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBVDKIMDQfXzuJQTHX6cX4C5bbV7nHUgK3iWRwbOrG6r-leoUvcsSQkI8GGJpM5VLxaQRPIi4zPaxQy5Lk9xBMOYaTTYkDSmwdQ7d-tWEXJodgeBK8aglPulfIPr-2BVcd725PyTXR5cP5Jzadmn1MMiDceYMVMXkD3LXshNzd1M3HNBz3TuPhK7RPuWcALmGUkm4O0PjD8URjK4htbU6YAdhC3QXipP1t0q9UvA1wVAZQGy0w5sTDsUJtifdrLSSy_9vrpJaL5iYrvxPVYgkhdRP8yP-LsJ2jg13zH1r1IyKmrvi9yXdXIxiJwg7uVB4LP3fJGz2JJ_a-t6-F3yghLMA&__tn__=-R" rel="nofollow - -

How is this for Karma. Less than 24hours after donating $5,000 to our Bushfire Appeal, Scott & Linda Brown have landed a $38 winner at Caulfield with Exasperate trained by son Matt. https://www.facebook.com/racingdotcom/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARCHUY5fQZuUiBnKq950CbdZr4RldR2IJe35qVxWk9Kygs1X3cCibC_o0FT4XQ00mFNsymguMKZgQvS6&fref=mentions&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBVDKIMDQfXzuJQTHX6cX4C5bbV7nHUgK3iWRwbOrG6r-leoUvcsSQkI8GGJpM5VLxaQRPIi4zPaxQy5Lk9xBMOYaTTYkDSmwdQ7d-tWEXJodgeBK8aglPulfIPr-2BVcd725PyTXR5cP5Jzadmn1MMiDceYMVMXkD3LXshNzd1M3HNBz3TuPhK7RPuWcALmGUkm4O0PjD8URjK4htbU6YAdhC3QXipP1t0q9UvA1wVAZQGy0w5sTDsUJtifdrLSSy_9vrpJaL5iYrvxPVYgkhdRP8yP-LsJ2jg13zH1r1IyKmrvi9yXdXIxiJwg7uVB4LP3fJGz2JJ_a-t6-F3yghLMA" rel="nofollow - Racing.com

https://postimg.cc/tZG0D1dY" rel="nofollow">

I also read somewhere that some or all (??) jockeys riding that night are donating their riding fees to the appeal Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 10:48am
Better hold out the tin on their way in before the races start rather than on the way out.

-------------

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 10:50am
All for Donation Appeals. Just not sure Punters should be a specific target group.

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 10:52am

MRC commits bushfire support

The Melbourne Racing Club will use its two meetings over the Australia Day weekend to support the country's bushfire-ravaged communities.

At Caulfield on Saturday, MRC Chairman Peter Le Grand announced that all gate proceeds from the race meetings at Mornington on Friday, 24 January and Caulfield on Saturday, 25 January will be donated to the Bendigo Bank Community Fund.

Fire services personnel and their families will also be provided free entry to both racedays.

Le Grand said that the Club had determined that all donations made to the MRC Foundation during January will also be forwarded the the Fund.

"The https://twitter.com/MelbRacingClub?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - MelbRacingClub on the 24th and 25th (January) - all the ticket gate money will go to the fund for the fires."

"We're all devastated by what has happened and we're thinking of the people that have been impacted," Le Grand said.

"At the Melbourne Racing Club, we've immediately made a donation to the (Bendigo Bank) Community Fund.

"And every donation made to the Melbourne Racing Club Foundation for the month of January will go towards the fund."

The commitment by the MRC follows a https://www.racing.com/news/2020-01-03/news-rv-support-for-fire-affected-communities" rel="nofollow - similar pledge by Racing Victoria Chairman Brian Kruger on Friday.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 11:04am

Racing participants support bushfire relief

Racing participants across Australia have pledged support to help with the bushfire relief as blazes continue to burn across the country.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews declared a State of Disaster on Friday ahead of forecast worsening conditions, confirming 28 people remain unaccounted for in the state's bushfire areas.

Many racing participants have joined a growing group of sporting athletes and organisations pledging support to help those affected, with a number of racetracks across the state being used as relief centres.

Fire-affected families, horses and livestock have seeked refuge at the Bairnsdale Racing Club this week.

While Monday's Wangaratta meeting has been transferred to Echuca, with the Wangaratta track needing to be made available if required for horses and livestock to be fed and watered.

It is overwhelming to see the support shown by other sportsman getting around people in need, I would like to join them so for the month of January I will be donating $250 for every winner I ride to the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal.
Big thanks to our brave firefighters https://twitter.com/hashtag/heros?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - #heros https://t.co/KgSf31MBXQ" rel="nofollow - pic.twitter.com/KgSf31MBXQ

— Tommy Berry  https://twitter.com/TommyBerry21/status/1212911926860140544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - January 3, 2020

Good on you Tommy. I too will follow suite and donate $250 for every winner I ride across the month of January to the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal. https://t.co/6YiaZvOY4J" rel="nofollow - https://t.co/6YiaZvOY4J

— Damian Lane  https://twitter.com/LaneDamian/status/1212934394052087808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - January 3, 2020

I will be donating my riding fees from tonight’s meeting to the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal and hope the other jocks get onboard

— Jaden Lloyd  https://twitter.com/JadenLloyd10/status/1212908467012243457?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - January 3, 2020

— mitchellbeer (@beermitchell) https://twitter.com/beermitchell/status/1212569184858603520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - January 2, 2020

We have a full load coming out of Kiewa to Albury but can be back in the next hour

— mitchellbeer (@beermitchell) https://twitter.com/beermitchell/status/1212920827965931521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - January 3, 2020

In response to the horrific bushfires present throughout Australia, we are raising funds to assist those affected through

We have 6 Sponsorship Packages for sale (value $2200ea) Check our Facebook page or watch https://twitter.com/Racing?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - Racing tomorrow night for more details on how to bid https://t.co/abwUyBtlhf" rel="nofollow - pic.twitter.com/abwUyBtlhf

— Cranbourne Turf Club (@CranTurfClub) https://twitter.com/CranTurfClub/status/1212644671052115968?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - January 2, 2020

Trainer Ebony Tucker will be at Cranbourne races tonight collecting donations of vet/medical supplies for bushfire affected animals on behalf of the Animal Rescue Collective. Expecting to coordinate similar collections in the coming days/weeks https://twitter.com/Racing?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - @Racing

— James Tzaferis  https://twitter.com/jtzaf/status/1212916898708377600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - January 3, 2020

For anyone needing somewhere to evacuate their horses to from the fires north of Benalla we have yard space available for up to 30 horses. Contact 0431 403 332

— Leneva park https://twitter.com/LenevaP/status/1212875797804879874?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - January 2, 2020

Heading up to Tumbarumba now. Got room on the truck for two more horses if anyone needs their horses transported out.
In about an hour though I will lose signal due to the fires. 0426219192

— Darrell Burnet  https://twitter.com/DarrellBurnet/status/1212903529506992128?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - January 3, 2020

"We opened up the jockey rooms so people could have a shower and a lot of them slept on inflatable mattresses in the dining room." https://twitter.com/BairnsdaleRC?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - BairnsdaleRC set up as a https://twitter.com/hashtag/vicfires?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - #vicfires relief centre. https://t.co/JP4dA7Pwsj" rel="nofollow - https://t.co/JP4dA7Pwsj

— Racing.com (@Racing) https://twitter.com/Racing/status/1211812997502578689?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - December 31, 2019

Lance and the team at https://twitter.com/mmsnippets?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - mmsnippets Adelaide having been working day and night, creating a home for horses that have been evacuated from bush fires.

What an amazing group of people who love and care for our equine friends. Full feature 🔜❤️ https://twitter.com/hashtag/LoveTheHorse?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" rel="nofollow - #LoveTheHorse https://t.co/OI6LLExC2l" rel="nofollow - pic.twitter.com/OI6LLExC2l

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 11:35am
Katie Page said the MM Carnival will be used as a platform to raise money, starting with the polo game. 

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:05pm

A couple of letters in today's press Re Victorian bushfires  

THE current catastrophic bushfires happening over a large part of our country should not be blamed on climate change.

When we stopped doing backburning in the cooler months to mitigate the severity of fires in summer, we created an environment where one spark or a careless/ deliberate act could start an inferno.

Instead of a smaller, more manageable fire, which could be quickly contained, there is so much fuel on the ground that it’s out of control before the firefighters can even get to the scene.

All these inner-city greenies should volunteer to fight the fires to see just how environmentally unfriendly a major bushfire can be.

Shirley Wiffrie, Croydon Hills

We can lower the risk

IF ever there was a time to talk about bushfires, it is now. I don’t know if the climate is changing due to burning coal, a natural cycle, or 7.8 billion people sharing the planet, but changing it appears to be — and the consequences for Australia are devastating.

The nation cannot afford another bushfire season such as this. So what’s to be done about it?

Here in Victoria our beautiful native forests need regular firebreaks, our farmers need to be able to clear dead wood from their paddocks and clear undergrowth, our councils/VicRoads need to clear roadsides. Let each landowner be allowed to take responsibility for fire prevention.

And if we really mean business, bring water inland through the river systems, redirecting water from our tropics in the wet season.

Come on, Canberra, think big.

Sue Wilson, Korumburra

Awful lesson to learn

PERHAPS when these bushfires are put out, some blame may be put squarely at the feet of Green dominated councils whose bylaws prevent property owners from clearing away trees and fallen debris.

As fires burn at the foot of the high country, it’s time cattle were allowed back in to eat the roughage on the ground and the now lost timber industry revived to keep open forest tracks for access, as well as having heavy machinery close by to keep tracks cleared.

Past fires should be a reminder what has to be done, but alas red tape and ridiculous Green ideology keep putting lives at risk.

P. Dunlop, Werribee

Let’s get practical

POLITICIANS wring their hands and pray for rain. Don’t they realise we get heaps of rain, just in the wrong places?

For goodness sake, build dams, catch the annual floodwaters and pipe it to drought areas. Reintroduce grazing and burn-offs in national parks. Be proactive before the central Australian desert overwhelms the whole country.

Hanson and Katter are the only two pollies who have been pushing for something useful to be done.

Russell Mansfield, Patterson Lakes

Posted By: Baguette
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:15pm
Where are the Greens leadership in all of this? Have they been out to the fire grounds shaking hands and providing photo ops? Would be very interesting to see the reception they’d get.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:24pm
How true, Morrison has copped it on all fronts, yet Adam Bandt , Sarah Hanson-Young for starters have gone to ground. Where are they holidaying ?

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:29pm
They aren't State Premiers or Prime Minister. 

Gladys and Dan however have done a superb job doing what leaders are supposed to do in these times. 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:37pm
Exactly PT.

However you rightards won't let go, will you?  The people mentioned could be anywhere, more than likely with their sleeves rolled up rather than setting up photo shots and filming Liberal Part advertisements at a time like this.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:39pm
Neither is Albo PT . But he’s been going out to meet people who have been affected. I would have thought the Greens would have been there with bells on to show how popular they and their philosophy are.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:46pm
I dont know where they are Baguette, SHY is active on twitter this week putting out information, Bandt hasn't posted for a couple of weeks. Not sure anyone needs to hear from politicians not actively involved in any operations or official media work though. That applies to all sides of politics.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 12:51pm
Actually SHY tweeted this a couple of days ago. She may be like a lot of Australians at the moment, dealing with the aftermath.

My family’s property was ravaged by fire two days ago. Thankfully everyone is ok and safe for now. It has been scary as hell.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 1:07pm
You’re certainly right about that PT. I miss the pre social media days when we all pulled together in times of crisis and worried about the political fallout and finger pointing later . I see the usual suspects are organising protests in our capital cities next Friday. Starting at 5.30pm when they are all awake. Though the brave souls are very concerned about the smoke. Wear your masks! I’m sure the missing Green leadership will turn up for that. It’s in the inner city after all.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Where are the Greens leadership in all of this? Have they been out to the fire grounds shaking hands and providing photo ops? Would be very interesting to see the reception they’d get.

They'd be understandably fearful for their safety, I'd suggest, warranted or not.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:06pm
Well, they wont have any trees left to worry about now, and the horses in Kosi will be just about all gone, along with the frogs and rare swamp mosses,  so wonder what they will focus on now ?

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:11pm
When in doubt or denial, just blame the Greens. That's far easier than recognizing and addressing the fundamental reasons for this awful situation.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:24pm
There are one hell of a lot like me who are not in denial.  Because we know their policies have made it difficult to implement many factors that have had an impact on these fires.
I dont do politics ( thats PT speciality ), but I know its happened over time, not overnight, and I have seen first hand how hard its become for people to even drop a dangerous tree, let alone the closure of parks to cattlemen , and many other things.
Please dont keep posting your denial rubbish SC.  You are worse than Whale with some of the things you say. 
We all know there are many reasons for this situation, but you can not exclude greens from some of the guilt.  Try as you may.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

There are one hell of a lot like me who are not in denial.  Because we know their policies have made it difficult to implement many factors that have had an impact on these fires.
I dont do politics ( thats PT speciality ), but I know its happened over time, not overnight, and I have seen first hand how hard its become for people to even drop a dangerous tree, let alone the closure of parks to cattlemen , and many other things.
Please dont keep posting your denial rubbish SC.  You are worse than Whale with some of the things you say. 
We all know there are many reasons for this situation, but you can not exclude greens from some of the guilt.  Try as you may.

why do I get dragged into it ? Ouch

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 3:40pm
My sister's home is in a lovely valley mainly used for dairying and beef cattle.  The locals there wouldn't  be pleased to be called "greenies" however they respect the environment and keep their properties clean and tidy with only the occasional belt of trees for shade.  They're surrounded on both sides by steep native vegetation at the toe of the eastern ranges, however the largely inaccessible mountainous areas are generally a kilometre or more from housing and stock shelters.

Last night with heavy winds and low humidity a fire front moved more than 30 kilometres with live embers being thrown hundreds if not thousands of metres at a time.

Today there's not a building left.  Forty years of toil, memorabilia and memories up in smoke.  

And greenies had f-ck all to do with it.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm
But, but, but greenies...Shocked

How can anyone taking this liar seriously?

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 10:05am
Here are some views published in this morning's press, no they are not from politicians, journalists from the ABC or The Gaurdian or the Murdoch press,nor are they media personalities they are the silent majority

ONLY 6 per cent of wild fires are started by natural causes. So many of these fires are started deliberately or result from people doing stupid things that get out of control. Garry

THE Kinglake fires of February 2009 showed what the Greens’ changes to fuel reduction would do. Nothing was done to reverse their stupidity. So 10 years on we have been given the result of not changing the laws back to what makes sense. Ian

HOW Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews isn’t being held to account astonishes me. Andrew Oz

I DO recall that after Black Saturday the royal commission ended up with many recommendations. I’d like to know how many of those recommendations have been adopted in VictoriaPeter

IT’S the build-up of fuel that seems to be the main cause and that’s a state responsibility. AshRegister

LOCAL and state governments are responsible for long-term fire management and regional zoning. Severe drought leads to severe bushfires. Andrew

WHY is everyone blaming the Prime Minister? Each state is responsible for what is happening, not the Prime Minister. Julie

SEEMS a motivating factor for not burning off is the impact on wildlife. I imagine that wildlife has a better chance of escaping a slow burn-off than a raging bushfire. John IF Victoria’s backburning policies need to be put under a microscope, and if it is deemed that they have contributed to the outcome, then shine the spotlight on the Greens and Labor. Jeff

THE fact is that emergency management has been a state responsibility and the demands for money from the federal government just reflects the states’ passing the buck for their own failures. Echidnajack

EVEN the recommendations of a royal commission in to the Black Saturday fires were not enough to get the Victorian government to undertake adequate backburning here. Cathryn WE need a return to forest/bush management to at least give the bush, its residents and wildlife a fighting chance in the event of seasonal bushfires. It’s high time that commonsense overruled the “greenie city-dwellers” who have no understanding of the bush and how to manage and protect it. Christine

WHAT did Victoria learn from the Black Saturday fires? Nothing, it’s happened again. Terry

CAN someone please ask the Victorian state government how they are going with meeting the 5 per cent yearly prescribed burn target that was recommended by the royal commission held after the 2009 Victorian bushfires? Lee

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:04am

Victorian fire chief says calls for more fuel reduction burns are an 'emotional load of rubbish'

The Country Fire Authority's chief officer Steve Warrington said there was a "fair amount of emotion" around the issue.

"We've had fire down the landscape here that has had burns go right through it [during colder months] and it hasn't slowed it at all," he said.

The emotive argument is not supported that fuel reduction burning will fix all our problems.

"Some of the hysteria that this will be the solution to all our problems is really just quite an emotional load of rubbish, to be honest."

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:09am
NSW Commissioner Shane FitzSimmons said the same thing this morning. It is not the panaces, but part of an overall picture.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:36am
Barnaby has it sorted though, on 7 Sunrise today. Concrete doesn't burn, footpaths dont burn.

Presumably his answer is to pave the whole country.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:53am

Here are some views published in this morning's press, no they are not from politicians, journalists from the ABC or The Gaurdian or the Murdoch press,nor are they media personalities they are the silent majority

<p style=":white"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">ONLY
6 per cent of wild fires are started by natural causes. So many of these fires
are started deliberately or result from people doing stupid things that get out
of control. Garry<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">THE Kinglake fires of
February 2009 showed what the Greens’ changes to fuel reduction would do.
Nothing was done to reverse their stupidity. So 10 years on we have been given
the result of not changing the laws back to what makes sense. Ian<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">HOW Victorian Premier
Daniel Andrews isn’t being held to account astonishes me. Andrew Oz<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">I DO recall that after
Black Saturday the royal commission ended up with many recommendations. I’d
like to know how many of those recommendations have been adopted in <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Victoria</st1:place></st1:state>? Peter<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">IT’S the build-up of
fuel that seems to be the main cause and that’s a state responsibility. AshRegister<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">LOCAL and state
governments are responsible for long-term fire management and regional zoning.
Severe drought leads to severe bushfires. Andrew<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">WHY is everyone blaming
the Prime Minister? Each state is responsible for what is happening, not the
Prime Minister. Julie<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">SEEMS a motivating
factor for not burning off is the impact on wildlife. I imagine that wildlife
has a better chance of escaping a slow burn-off than a raging bushfire. John IF
Victoria’s backburning policies need to be put under a microscope, and if it is
deemed that they have contributed to the outcome, then shine the spotlight on
the Greens and Labor. Jeff<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">THE fact is that
emergency management has been a state responsibility and the demands for money
from the federal government just reflects the states’ passing the buck for
their own failures. Echidnajack<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">EVEN the
recommendations of a royal commission in to the Black Saturday fires were not
enough to get the Victorian government to undertake adequate backburning
here. Cathryn WE need a return to forest/bush management to at
least give the bush, its residents and wildlife a fighting chance in the event
of seasonal bushfires. It’s high time that commonsense overruled the “greenie
city-dwellers” who have no understanding of the bush and how to manage and
protect it. Christine<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">WHAT did <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Victoria</st1:place></st1:state> learn from the
Black Saturday fires? Nothing, it’s happened again. Terry<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p style=":white;font-variant-ligatures: normal;font-variant-caps: normal; orphans: 2;text-align:start;widows: 2;-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;text-decoration-color: initial;word-spacing: 0px"><span style="font-family:"Segoe UI";color:#4A4949">CAN someone please ask
the Victorian state government how they are going with meeting the 5 per cent
yearly prescribed burn target that was recommended by the royal commission held
after the 2009 Victorian bushfires? Lee<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="Msonormal"><o:p> </o:p>

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:58am
Billions gone from the tourist industry in years to come

Possibly from loss of foreign students as well, I can imagine parents in China, India panicking over this 

A massive blow’: Dark side to celebrity bushfire donations

The celebrity donations to Australia’s bushfires are rolling in – but there’s a dark side, and it will affect our economy for years to come.

COMMENT

Australia has been dealt https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/bushfire-live-blog-rain-brings-some-relief-to-nsw-towns-but-fresh-challenges-for-fire-crews/live-coverage/e95adc86c79d7f6f20d099a44a64118d" rel="nofollow - a massive blow with these fires . Even after the first green shoots come up through ashy forest floors, and even after burned out homes start to get rebuilt, the tourism industry will be suffering.

This is a problem because tourism is a huge industry. It generates $110 billion in economic activity every single year, according to estimates by the Tourism and Transport Forum. What’s more, it has been a shining beacon of growth in our economy. With construction suffering and retail struggling, tourism has been surging ahead. That adds much-needed momentum to an otherwise-wobbly economy.

But now, as Australian summer turns to horror, and https://au.usembassy.gov/weather-alert/" rel="nofollow - foreign embassies warn their citizens of danger , tourists are getting worried.

SHOULD I CANCEL MY TRIP?

On the Lonely Planet website, I see tourists asking for advice about changing or cancelling their trip to Australia.

“I am really worried,” said one poster, who had been planning to drive a campervan from Sydney to Cairns with his wife and child. “This seems to be an unprecedented natural catastrophe.”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/a-massive-blow-dark-side-to-celebrity-bushfire-donations/news-story/8748dc87e0ca331e2f9476d795d478ea" rel="nofollow - https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/a-massive-blow-dark-side-to-celebrity-bushfire-donations/news-story/8748dc87e0ca331e2f9476d795d478ea

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:10am
OMG, on Friday temperatures in Victoria are set to soar again with authorities predicting the state will face the same bush fire conditions that existed earlier this week yet a group of radical activists called Uni Students for Climate Justice are to hold a climate protest on Friday night during peak hour at the State Library before marching through the Melbourne CBD. A naive representative of the group claimed "the march would be peaceful in nature and would not require police attendance".Ermm

An Acting Assistant Police Commissioner (AAPC) said the protest would cause significant disruption in the city and would require hundreds of police on the ground who could be better used in bush fire-ravaged communities.He said the group was "well known" to police and there was a strong risk "different factions"Question might attend the protest. The AAPC, whilst sympathetic to their cause, has told them now is not the time for such a protest.

What is the world coming to when police resources are diverted away from helping bush fire victims to watching over a group of naive,radical activists who have nothing better to do with their time on such a potentially horrific day. 

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:13am
Why don't these cvnts do something meaningful or helpful for once in their lives 

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:14am
If the group are pissing off the Right than great stuff.

You have all been warned - Take a f**king sickie you sooks.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:18am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

If the group are pissing off the Right than great stuff.

You have all been warned - Take a f**king sickie you sooks.

what a dumb post Confused

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:20am
kiss off.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:25am
you are a real fkin moron, piss off the right ,wow
It is not about that, it is about our stretched resources in a time of bushfire crisis.
Maybe the police should take sick days off Confused

By the way I am of the left and pro appropriate protests , there is a limit though goose

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:27am
djebel, if you know about racing as that post says about your common sense, I suggest you give up punting and concentrate on feeding pigeons in the park.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

you are a real fkin moron, piss off the right ,wow
It is not about that, it is about our stretched resources in a time of bushfire crisis.
Maybe the police should take sick days off Confused

By the way I am of the left and pro appropriate protests , there is a limit though goose
Well said WhaleThumbs Up

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:32am
A few road blocks and all will be fine.

It's like the mob who say now is not the time for Gun control debate. People whinge about these protests all the time.

The appropriate time to protest is when it will cause the most drama.

The real reason police need to be there is not to control these protesters but to control the kisstards that are anti protest.

Police resources and emergency resources should never be stretched.

The protesters have given plenty of warning. Personally I'd give no warning at all.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net