Forum Description: General discussion about thoroughbred horse racing
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=47557
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 4:26am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Gastric Ulcers
Posted By: Gay3
Subject: Gastric Ulcers
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 8:04am
As the subject came up recently over a medication given to a Melb. Cup runner on race morning, I thought this info might be handy for any punters interested in furthering their knowledge Smile

Equine Gastric Ulcers: What Horse Professionals Should Know
Submitted by News Editor /EQUImed

In the past 10-15 years, it has become clear how common gastric (stomach) ulcers are in trained horses and in the general horse population. This problem has a huge impact on the horse industry.

Preventing ulcers in horses

The development and more widespread use of the 3-meter endoscope over this time has given veterinarians a tool to visualize the inside of the horse's stomach and definitively diagnose this problem. Excellent recent research helps explain the different ways gastric ulcers are caused, and sheds some light on what we can do to prevent the problem.

Gastric ulcers are very common in the performance horse population. Endoscopic studies of horses in training have shown that up to 90% of horses stabled at race barns have stomach ulcers. At least 60% of horses in other competitive disciplines have ulcers.

The prevalence of ulcers in horses that are not in training is lower, but still far higher than one might expect. Gastric ulcers are also common in young horses, especially those that have other illness.

Clinical signs of ulcers in horses

The classic signs of ulcer disease in the adult horse are poor appetite, decreased performance, attitude and personality changes, poor body condition, rough hair coat, and low-grade or repeated colic episodes. In foals, the classic signs of gastric ulcers are colic, diarrhea, teeth grinding, salivation and poor body condition.

Temperament and pain tolerance can affect whether or not an individual horse shows obvious clinical signs. Some horses with mild lesions show obvious and âclassicâ clinical signs while others with more serious lesions may show very little sign of a problem.

In some cases, horses with gastric ulcers exhibit well-established behavior patterns that are simply considered normal for that horse. Treatment of ulcers in these cases sometimes reveals a previously unknown – and sometimes very pleasant – underlying personality.

Diagnosis of gastric ulcers

The definitive way to diagnose gastric ulcers is with the use of a 3-meter video endoscope. These scopes have been used at veterinary schools for years, but are now more common in private equine veterinary practices.

The procedure goes something like this: The horse is kept off feed for 12 hours prior to the exam. The horse is lightly sedated for the procedure. The scope, a long, narrow tube that has a video camera at its tip, is passed through the nostril and into the stomach. The stomach lining is visualized on a television screen.

Ulcers appear as erosions of varying size and depth in the surface lining. Ulcers are usually found in several typical locations within the stomach. The severity of these lesions is visually recorded, and this recording serves as a baseline for studies performed during and after treatment.

We have had a 3-meter endoscope in our practice since 2001 and have found it to be a great diagnostic tool. It has allowed us to make a definite diagnosis of this common problem and to monitor the effectiveness of treatment. It has also allowed us to diagnose other problems of the stomach and esophagus, such as certain types of cancer.

Other, âsimplerâ methods for determining the existence of gastric ulcers have arisen in the past decade as well. A fecal blood and protein test has proven to be unreliable in adult horses. Urinary sucrose testing may have some predictive value for bleeding into the gastrointestinal tract but requires urine collection and laboratory testing. The standard diagnostic tool remains the 3-meter endoscope.

It is often proposed that rather than going to the $300-$400.00 expense to diagnose ulcers definitively with an endoscope, one should instead simply put horses on medication and see if they respond. One real problem with this idea is that proven ulcer medications are more costly than the testing procedure. Use of unproven medications only further confuses the situation.

Also, endoscopy provides a direct view of the stomach that is the only way to diagnose other possible problems. Things like stomach cancer, outflow obstruction and congenital abnormalities cannot be diagnosed any other way.

Why are ulcers so common?

Understanding how equine gastric ulcers occur gives some insight into how to manage horses to prevent this problem. Horses, unlike humans, secrete stomach acid continuously and independent of a meal. The presence of food in the stomach buffers this acid and so helps protect the lining from damage.

Horses, unlike humans, have an upper portion of the stomach that has an unprotected lining and is vulnerable to damage by acid. The lower portion is the acid-producing part and is more resistant to acid damage.

Recent research has shown that when horses are exercised at a trot or gallop, the pressure in the abdomen (the space around the internal organs) increases. This raises the level of the âacid pool,â which normally lies down low in the more resistant portion of the stomach, to the more sensitive upper part. This favors the formation of ulcers in this area.

There are several different and distinct ulcer “syndromes” in different classes of horses that affect either the upper or lower portion of the stomach, or both. The bacterial cause of ulcers that has been determined to be such an important causative factor in human gastric ulcers has not been found to date in horses.

Nutrition plays an important role in determining the level of acid in the stomach fluid. High grain diets cause more acidity than low grain diets. Alfalfa actually causes a lower acidity than grass hay. One of the most important points is that ulcer syndromes can be unapparent, and the signs are often attributed to other causes.

Treatment options

Horses diagnosed with gastric ulcers can be treated and often make full recoveries. The most effective treatment for gastric ulcers in horses is the prescription drug omeprazole, trade names are Gastrogard® and Ulcergard®. Gastrogard® is intended for the treatment of ulcers and Ulcergard® is intended for the prevention of ulcers and is given at a lower (preventative) dose.

These are specially formulated pastes developed from a drug used to treat human ulcers. They act by directly inhibiting acid production by the acid-producing cells in the stomach. They are highly effective but also very expensive.

Other medications that have historically been used to treat gastric ulcers have been shown not to be as effective, and require multiple doses per day. These medications act by a more indirect route. They include ranitidine (Zantac), cimetidine (Tagamet), and the ulcer coating agent sucralfate (Carafate).

Antacid medications are marketed with great claims for success, but have been shown to only lower acidity in the horse's stomach for short periods of time. That said, they are probably better than doing nothing and the products have become quite popular.

Ulcer prevention

Awareness is the key to prevention. The more you know about gastric ulcers, the better you will be able to manage your horses to avoid them. I regularly suggest the following preventative measures:

Remember that if you do make feeding changes, make them over several days.
Feed only as much high-carbohydrate grain as is necessary for the intensity of training.
Keep high bulk feed (hay or grazing) present for your horses as much as possible. The less time a horse spends standing around with an empty stomach, the better.
Consider the timing of feeding versus training. Do not train your horse on an empty stomach.
Recognize and consider that alfalfa actually lowers stomach acid, and feed it accordingly.
Be on the lookout for subtle signs and be ready to change your management accordingly.
Some research suggests that corn oil may be protective of the stomach lining.
If you are concerned that your horse may have gastric ulcers, discuss it your equine veterinarian. They can help make a definitive diagnosis and help you make the right management decisions.

By: Douglas O. Thal DVM Dipl. ABVP

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Replies:
Posted By: Shammy Davis
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 10:08am
http://www.ker.com/library/EquineReview/2002/HealthLine/HL05.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://www.ker.com/library/EquineReview/2002/HealthLine/HL05.pdf

Posted By: Fiddlesticks
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 12:36pm
So in nature horses are grazers, constantly eating and wandering around etc, hence why they are designed to secrete stomach acid, so taking this on board, if some pharmaceutical was developed that reduced stomach acid and was not harmful or performance enhancing, this might go some way to help reducing the problem across horses generally in work...?

-------------
Panspermia.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 12:57pm
That's what omeprazole & ranitidine do basically but both have their limitations. The only thing that clears them completely is a course of the former combined with a fibre based diet & relaxed environment which is what the recipients of OTTBs do immediately the horse arrives Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

That's what omeprazole & ranitidine do basically but both have their limitations. The only thing that clears them completely is a course of the former combined with a fibre based diet & relaxed environment which is what the recipients of OTTBs do immediately the horse arrives Smile

I'm talking about a drug that inhibits the production of stomach acid, something that works similar to a Monoamine oxidase inhibitor..

-------------
Panspermia.

Posted By: anabel
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 2:34pm
Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor so that does prevent acid formation in the stomach. Not the same mechanism as the MAOs but it is very effective. Just extremely expensive to maintain for horses - hopefully there will be a generic alternative available soon.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 1:15am
JMHO but gastric ulcers are the most significant problem facing the general health and well-being of the competitive horse during training through retirement.

In the USA, some racehorse trainers are giving omeprazole as a prophylactic measure, which I think is extremely  sensibile.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 8:31am
The trouble is, their digestive system has evolved to need acid.

-------------

Posted By: JoH
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 9:12am
FWIW (ie it seems to work for me)

For horses that don't have half day (or more) access to green pick / ad lib hay I make sure they get a biscuit of hay at least 30 mins before ie. not at the same time as, their hard feed ration and if they are on an am / pm feed regime that they get one (hay) biscuit some time between those feeds.  

-------------
suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 9:47am
I think many do Jo, especially the non racing ppl & it does work well. Many in the industry also give ad lib hay which is certainly a big help but there'll always be the hypey ones best suited to a quiet, less stressful environment.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 10:31am

I think many do Jo, especially the non racing ppl & it does work well. Many in the industry also give ad lib hay which is certainly a big help but there'll always be the hypey ones best suited to a quiet, less stressful environment.

I wonder if there is any data to support one way or the other if these ulcers are less prominent here or Overseas..( training methods ), my first boss I worked for ( Kiwi trainer ) was very big on hay after work, in fact we used to get this purple stuff that was almost wet, had a sweet smell, he told me the Queen used it for her horses, came in a white vacuum sealed bags...it was very sweet and fruity to smell...

-------------
Panspermia.

Posted By: Munga Rangi
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

I wonder if there is any data to support one way or the other if these ulcers are less prominent here or Overseas..( training methods ), my first boss I worked for ( Kiwi trainer ) was very big on hay after work, in fact we used to get this purple stuff that was almost wet, had a sweet smell, he told me the Queen used it for her horses, came in a white vacuum sealed bags...it was very sweet and fruity to smell...
 True guys,
   Just to add to the above, when my late father was training, we always grew our own greenfeed. We have never had a large property, but we are able to irrigate about an acre and this kept all the gallopers in various seasonal greenfeed all year round.The horses in work also went out into their 30mx 30m grassed yards every day after their exercise. The horses absolutely loved this, even the biggest 'picky' pain in the butt when first arrived, would eventually scoff every morsel. My father always said that the best recipe for success was to keep as close to nature as possible. Old fashioned I know, but when you have seen the once 'highest priced yearling in Australasia' - who suffered terribly with ulcers, weaving in his stable, with the door open, unsure of what to do...makes you realize that a lot of these problems are man made. Smile

-------------
Caveat emptor

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Munga Rangi Munga Rangi wrote:

Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

True guys,
   Just to add to the above, when my late father was training, we always grew our own greenfeed. We have never had a large property, but we are able to irrigate about an acre and this kept all the gallopers in various seasonal greenfeed all year round.The horses in work also went out into their 30mx 30m grassed yards every day after their exercise. The horses absolutely loved this, even the biggest 'picky' pain in the butt when first arrived, would eventually scoff every morsel. My father always said that the best recipe for success was to keep as close to nature as possible. Old fashioned I know, but when you have seen the once 'highest priced yearling in Australasia' - who suffered terribly with ulcers, weaving in his stable, with the door open, unsure of what to do...makes you realize that a lot of these problems are man made. Smile

That's a very sad part of racing I feel...it's such an empty feeling to see unhappy animals being made to stand in tiny hot boxes day in and day out, then only come out to work hard for a short period of time before being boxed again...very unnatural...

-------------
Panspermia.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 1:38pm

Even in full work my endurance horses were trained out of the paddock so 24 hour pick was always available.  I fully understand that this would not be available (or even suitable) for many/most TB's in work but one of the plusses with the  (TB) trainer I'm happy to drive 2.5 hrs out of Melb to use is that the horses aren't stabled 24/7, that they are in day yards with a WI/WO plus they get a grass paddock turnout each day and don't live at the track - much as Munga described.
Again, I'm aware city trainers would be hard pushed to do this but as most of my horses will be coming home once their racing days are done I do what I can to ensure they come home as physically (and mentally) sound as possible.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 1:56pm
Apparently in the old days, the Flemington trainers had daily deliveries of milk thistles from the multitude of market gardeners& imagine other city tracks did also.
Whilst I too feel sorry for the Aussie horses who only get out of their boxes for an hr max per day, at least they get to spell in paddocks. Imagine life for Hong Kong long termers who get the 'luxury' of a box to spell in Disapprove

-------------

Posted By: Mr Prospector
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 1:58pm
I am using an Omeprazole based product when I feel its needed and never realised that it fully stopped the production of stomach acids . I will definitely have to have a close look at its used now .
Has anyone ever linked insisted worming problems with Ulcers ? Some of the wormers on the market do very little now and I've often wondered what long term issues would be caused by insisted worms .

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 2:17pm
Not sure if there is a connection between worming pastesand ulcers but moxidectin as active ingredient is the best (and IMO the only) way to get rid of encyctsed worms.

Suggested reading:  Dr Anne Nyland's book on worms and worming for Horses and donkeys

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 2:27pm

The trouble is, their digestive system has evolved to need acid.
Prophylactic measures are about 1/4 of the normal dose.  How many racehorses stalled at the track do you see with out a full hay bag almost 24/7?  Theorectically, the production of saliva (via consumption of fiber through hay or similar forage) neutralizes the access production of stomach acids, but it is not working at the track or other competitive discipline stables and the reason is the stressful and confined conditions allocated to the competitive horse.  Further, anything that prevents the ulceration of the stomach and GI tract extends the healthy life of the horse.  As long as horses are confined 23 hours a day in stalls we are going to continue to see a rise in gastric ulcers.

http://www.vet.k-state.edu/VHC/equine/pdf/Gastric_ulcers.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://www.vet.k-state.edu/VHC/equine/pdf/Gastric_ulcers.pdf

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 2:29pm
I'll 2nd that & it's only $5 as an ebook in many downloadable forms:
http://smashwords.com/books/view/114972" rel="nofollow - http://smashwords.com/books/view/114972

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by JoH JoH wrote:

Not sure if there is a connection between worming pastesand ulcers but moxidectin as active ingredient is the best (and IMO the only) way to get rid of encyctsed worms.

Suggested reading:  Dr Anne Nyland's book on worms and worming for Horses and donkeys

I was suggesting a high population of encysted worms due the lack of Moxidectin in some pastes may be a problem for horses . Our vet was expressing his concern over the lack of effectiveness of some pastes these days .

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 3:31pm
There are specifically only two wormers capable of clearing an encysted worm burden. Equest which is Moxidectin & Praziquantel combined. The other is Panacur or the generic Fenbendazole (1/2 the price).
Equest is used 2 wks apart x 3 = 3 tubes
Panacur is a 5 day course to be repeated..................I'd have to look it up.
They are the only two despite claims from other companies Wink  & I doubt the relevance of worms to gastric ulcers but you never know Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 4:11pm

Apparently in the old days, the Flemington trainers had daily deliveries of milk thistles from the multitude of market gardeners& imagine other city tracks did also.
Whilst I too feel sorry for the Aussie horses who only get out of their boxes for an hr max per day, at least they get to spell in paddocks. Imagine life for Hong Kong long termers who get the 'luxury' of a box to spell in Disapprove

It is this that very reason..( and some others ) that I simply cannot continue to take an interest in their product. For quite sometime when they came on line here I would follow the HK & Singapore stuff, but as you say, the way horses have to lead their lives up there, well I just can't support that type of industry with my punting $. I really cannot see anything good coming out of the extended Chinese product that will soon be coming on line either..

-------------
Panspermia.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 5:47pm

There are specifically only two wormers capable of clearing an encysted worm burden. Equest which is Moxidectin & Praziquantel combined. The other is Panacur or the generic Fenbendazole (1/2 the price).
Equest is used 2 wks apart x 3 = 3 tubes
Panacur is a 5 day course to be repeated..................I'd have to look it up.
They are the only two despite claims from other companies Wink  & I doubt the relevance of worms to gastric ulcers but you never know Smile

I didn't want to hijack the thread but there is already some resistance reported to Moxidectin due to overmedication and shorter effectiveness to some strongyles I believe .

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 5:55pm
Moxi plus Prazi is the difference between all the other Moxis & there's reported resistance to everything available so we can only go with the best we've got & not worm indiscriminately e.g every 6wks for the sake of it, given 20% of the herd carry 80% of the parasites Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 10:17pm
I think Omeprazole blocks around 90% of acid production. I have a feeling it can also cause a rebound overproduction of acid once discontinued, although I can't remember where I read that so can't reference it. For this reason, I am nervous about using it long-term.

I am still experimenting with the best way to manage ulcers with our racehorses. At this stage they are receiving a treatment dose of Omeprazole followed by the maintenance dose, but will probably cease that and swap to supplements such as Gastrocoat & changed feeding practices once ulcers have healed. There seems to be no conclusive timeframe or recommended program for this though.

Posted By: songline
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 10:22pm
Best way to wean off omeprazole is to very gradually reduce the dose over a couple of months. Expect some discomfort for a couple of days after reducing the dose. Based on experience in people!

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 11:06pm
Thanks songline, glad to hear of your own experiences with it.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 1:02am
In human studies, flax seed oil (linseed) has proven to have a protective effect on the colon and reduce bile acids.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 1:02pm
http://www.scielo.br/pdf/bjmbr/v30n10/2897c.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://www.scielo.br/pdf/bjmbr/v30n10/2897c.pdf

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 8:32am
Ulcers ... For Life?
There’s no cure-all for equine gastric ulcer syndrome, but proper management and prevention methods can help your horse remain ulcer-free
Janice L. HoLLand, PHd, PaS
What could the following three situations all have in common? 1. You return home from a horse show after a disappointing weekend. Your elite performance horse, usual- ly high in the ribbons, did not place well. He occasionally looks at his sides and appears uncomfortable.
2. You have a young, excitable filly that was recently weaned. A normally robust and outgoing foal, she is now standing in her stall, uninterested in either interacting with humans or eating her grain.
3. Your mature gelding that lives on lush pasture recently went through a mild bout of laminitis. He’s always been a stoic fellow and rarely shows when he’s in pain. Now, his hair coat is dull, and he seems to be “depressed.”
What might be surprising to some is that while these clinical signs could point to a number of problems, all three of these horses could be diagnosed with the same condition: equine gastric ulcer syndrome.
history and signs
Equine gastric ulcer syndrome includes not only ulcers found within the stomach (usually in the esophageal region, or upper portion), but also ulcers found at the duodenal part of the small intestine, which is the portion closest to the stom- ach. Ulcers occur when the pH of these gastrointestinal tract areas becomes too acidic, and cells of the lining are damaged. The primary acid of digestion in the stomach, hydrochloric acid, is produced and released continuously into the stomach of the horse. Horses produce almost 1.5 liters/hour of this acid because they have evolved as continuous eaters, or grazers.
Ulcers can occur in horses of all disciplines and management situations,although horses in higher stress environments do appear to be more susceptible, according to veterinarians and researchers. A variety of studies have been conducted on gastric ulcer incidence in horses competing or training in different disciplines; some of these results are shown in the chart on the following page.
A definitive diagnosis can only be made by a veterinarian who performs gastroscopy on the horse. This involves placing an endoscope (a tubular optical instrument) into the stomach of the sedated horse to view the stomach lining. However, there are some signs that a horse owner or farm manager can watch for that might be in- dicative of a horse experiencing ulceration. Some of these, on their own, might not indicate a problem, but owners should be concerned when they observe more than one at a time.
Foals suffering from gastric ulcers, for instance, might show poor appetite (anorexia), bruxism (teeth grinding), exces- sive salivation, diarrhea, and lying on their back (to relieve some of the pain). Mature horses might show some of the same signs, such as anorexia, but they might also ex- hibit weight loss/poor body condition, a dull or rough hair coat, an attitude or behavior change (especially toward train- ing), poor performance, a tendency to lie down, and mild, chronic, or intermittent colic (Buchanan and Andrews, .NUTRITION Causative Factors
There are a variety of factors that can predispose a horse to ulcers. Some can be managed, while others, such as genetic predisposition, are more difficult or impossible to control. The three most commonly mentioned causes of gastric ulcers are summarized below.
The feeding regimen, including type of feed offered and how often, is one of the most common factors related to ulcer inci- dence (Reese and Andrews, 2009). Horses that are fed only a few meals a day, with grain or concentrate feeds that are high in soluble carbohydrates and comprise a large percentage of their diet, are most susceptible. Since the stomach empties fairly quickly after a meal, usually within 30-60 minutes, the cells lining the stomach can be exposed to the acids that are secreted for several hours before the next meal. So, horses that graze continuously or that are fed free choice hay tend to have a lower ulcer incidence. Feeding grains such as corn, barley, oats, and wheat products might also contribute to a higher ul- cer incidence, related to increased levels of a hormone called gastrin that stimulates stomach acid production.
Training and exercise might also contribute to an increased incidence of gastric ulcers. Horses involved in strenuous exercise have a higher incidence of gastric lesions, as shown in the table below, and intense exercise might cause a serum gastrin increase similar to that observed in horses consuming high-grain diets.
Decreased blood flow to the stomach during exercise, as well as increased abdominal pressure, might also be a cause (Orsini et al., 2009). Studies have shown that external pressure on the stomach during exercise forces the liquid contents of the lower portion of the stomach up- ward, exposing the sensitive mucosa of the gastric wall to the stomach acids and inducing ulcerous lesions. Another train- ing factor that might contribute to ulcers is increasing the physical demands on the horse too rapidly. This might lead to an increased physiologic stress level, which can in turn increase acid production, and decreased mucosal blood flow, which can delay gastric emptying.
Stall confinement in performance horses could be a contributing factor as well, but ulcers might be more related to a horse’s feeding schedule than confinement alone. A study conducted in New Zealand (Bell et al., 2007) found that racehorses that spent part of the day on pasture hadthe same incidence of ulcers (89%) as stall- confined racehorses.
Some medications are also recognized as causing ulceration. According to a 2009 study by Videla and Andrews, the most common medications implicated are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), which can impair mu- cosal blood flow and compromise the mucus bicarbonate barrier of the stomach, a layer which generally protects the stom- ach lining from the acid. The most common NSAIDs used in horses are phenylbutazone (Bute) and flunixin meglumine (Bana- mine). The potential to cause ulceration is why these medications often are given for a few days and then discontinued.
Treatment
There are a variety of medications that can be given to treat ulcers. Some are available at the local feed store or in supply catalogs, while others are only available through a veterinarian.
Histamine antagonists (H2 blockers), such as cimetidine and ranitidine, block hydrochloric acid secretion. Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) such as omeprazole (Gas- trogard) also prevent hydrochloric acid secretion and are longer acting than the H2 blockers. Anthony Bliksl*ger, DVM, PhD, Dipl. ACVS, professor of equine surgery and gastroenterology in North Carolina State University’s Department of Clini- cal Sciences, recommends omeprazole as the best therapy for ulcers in horses. PPIs are very efficient at increasing the pH (decreasing the acid level) in the stomach but he says that it takes about three days for these to have the maximal effect of blocking the acid pump. Many veterinar- ians will recommend giving one of the H2 blockers concurrently with the PPI for the first few days because, although they do not decrease acid to the same extent, they will act more rapidly and can block secretion until the PPI takes full effect.
Veterinarians sometimes recommend antacids, which contain magnesium hydroxide or aluminum hydroxide. According to a study by CK Clark et al., these treat- ments can cause rapid increase in pH and might eliminate some clinical signs quickly. However, most of these medications only provide relief for a few hours.
Protectants such as sucralfate might be useful in combination with other therapies. These medications form a gel within the stomach that coats and binds to the surface of the ulcers and promotes healing. Bliksl*ger believes sucralfate can be a use- ful “third line” of treatment in combina- tion with PPIs and H2 blockers, depending on the severity of the ulcers.
Foods that are high in amino acids L- glutamine and L-threonine, such as green cabbage, might also aid in gastric ulcer treatment and prevention, suggest someresearchers. These amino acids help repair and nourish the cells lining the stomach and intestines (Hagen et al., 2009).
Changing the Diet
Diet modification also is recommended for horses that are predisposed to gastric ulcers. Diets that are higher in forage content and lower in grain should promote the appropriate pH within the stomach and small intestine. In addition, having small amounts of feed present in the stomach for most hours of the day, mimicking the natural feeding tendencies of the horse, can help buffer the acid. According to Bliksl*ger, forage in the diet also essen- tially traps the acid in the lower portion of the stomach, thus protecting the upper regions that are more prone to ulceration.
Horses that require more calories than can be provided by forage alone (e.g., competition horses) might need a diet with higher fat content. As well as decreasing the acidity in the stomach, some oils, such as oat oil and rice bran oil, contain polar lipids, which are watersoluble fats that help transport nutrients into the bloodstream and support a healthy gut lining (Frank et al., 2005). Due to its high calcium content, alfalfa might provide an effect similar to antacids (Lybbert et al., 2007).Prevention
Ideally horses would be kept in a management situation where ulcers are not even a remote possibility, because ulcers are essentially a management disease. However, the reality is that even horses maintained under the most idyllic condi- tions can develop ulcers. For example, in a 2007 study (TheHorse.com/9950) researchers evaluated ulcer incidence in 62 Thoroughbred broodmares that were kept on pasture. More than 70% of the mares, both pregnant and open (not in foal), had ulcers, and no one factor was isolated as causing the problem.
Some of the suggestions given to treat horses with ulcers can also be used to prevent ulcers from recurring, or even occur- ring in the first place. According to Bliksl*ger, the best thing a manager can do to prevent ulcers is to provide maximal pasture turnout and develop/offer a forage- based diet. He also recommends dividing the horse’s diet into multiple small meals throughout the day. For horses that must be confined to stalls for large portions of the day, Bliksl*ger advises using the newer hay nets available that have smaller holes. The horses cannot eat all the hay at one time and will essentially “graze” all day while trying to get the hay out ofthe nets. He also recommends decreas- ing the stress of training or competition (e.g., providing a horse with ample time to adapt to a new environment and sched- uling rest or downtime between periods of heavy training). If this is not possible, then your horse might require some of the medications mentioned in the treatment section.
Take-home Message
Some horses are more predisposed to getting gastric ulcers, due to manage- ment, performance, or temperament. Nonetheless, horses can be managed, even in less-than-ideal conditions, to lessen the incidence. With proper medical treatment and removal of predisposing factors, ul- cers can be healed, and horses can remain ulcer-free. However, ulcers will reoccur if diet, exercise, and management changes are not incorporated. As with all disorders, consult a veterinarian or equine nutrition- ist about syndromes that might be caused by diet or management.
http://thehorse.com/9950" rel="nofollow"> http://thehorse.com/9950" rel="nofollow -
-
- TheHorse: Your Guide to Equine Health Care | TheHorse.com

-------------

Posted By: skippy123
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:03am
Bute vs. Firocoxib: Which NSAID Results in More Severe Gastric Ulcers?

Both NSAIDs induced GI tract inflammation, but phenylbutazone might result in more severe inflammation in the lower GI tract.
Posted by Clair Thunes, PhD | Aug 12, 2019 | AAEP Convention 2017, Digestive System, Digestive Tract Problems, Medications, Nutrition, Ulcers
FavoriteSHARE:     

Bute vs. Firocoxib: Which NSAID Results in More Severe Gastric Ulcers?
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are the second-most frequently used drug class in horses after dewormers. Veterinarians prescribe them for a wide range of issues ranging from post-surgical recovery to orthopedic issues. While they’re invaluable for managing horses’ pain, one of their side effects is gastric ulcers.

A group of researchers from Texas A&M University recently compared two types of NSAIDs’ effects on gastric ulceration in horses. Lauren M. Richardson, DVM, a resident in large animal surgery at the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, presented their findings at the 2017 American Association of Equine Practitioners convention, held Nov. 17-21 in San Antonio, Texas.

But first, let’s review how NSAIDs work.

These drugs work by reducing prostaglandins–chemicals in the body that promote inflammation, pain, and fever. Prostaglandins are produced by enzymes called cyclooxygenases (COX), of which there are two main types: COX-1 and COX-2. COX-1 is a constitutive enzyme, meaning that it is “on” most of the time, performing functions such as protecting the stomach lining and promoting blood clotting. COX-2, on the other hand, is an inducible enzyme produced under certain circumstances in response to cytokines (inflammatory mediators), resulting in inflammation, pain, and fever.

When veterinarians administer NSAIDs that block prostaglandin formation, stomach acid can damage the stomach tissue, potentially causing gastric ulcers. Fortunately, COX-2-selective NSAIDs exist that only block COX-2 prostaglandin production. However, we don’t know whether these COX-2-selective NSAIDs actually cause less gastrointestinal (GI) injury than the nonselective NSAIDs.

Richardson’s team compared the effects of firocoxib (a COX-2-selective NSAID) and phenylbutazone (a nonselective NSAID) on gastric ulceration in adult horses. They used fecal myeloperoxidase (MPO, a protein released during acute inflammation) as a marker of lower GI tract injury.

They randomly assigned 10 adult horses to one of each of the treatment groups (firocoxib administered at 0.1 mg/kg once a day or phenylbutazone administered at 4.4 mg/kg once a day) and five horses to a control group that received a placebo treatment. The team administered treatments for 10 days and collected fecal samples on Days 0, 10, and 20. They also scoped the horses for gastric ulcers on Days 0 and 10.

In looking at the results, horses in both treatment groups had significantly higher squamous gastric ulceration scores (in the upper region of the stomach) than the horses in the control group at Day 10. Similarly, both treatments resulted in significantly more ulcers in the glandular (bottom) portion of the stomach than in controls. However, said Richardson, on Day 10 horses receiving phenylbutazone had significantly more severe glandular ulcers than the horses given firocoxib.

She also noted that fecal MPO increased with both treatments but was only statistically significant in the horses given phenylbutazone. Because MPO is derived from neutrophils, the type of white blood cell involved in NSAID-induced intestinal injury in other species, these results suggest that GI disease caused by administration of NSAIDs is neutrophil-driven in the horse, said Richardson.

So while both phenylbutazone and firocoxib induced GI inflammation and injury, glandular ulcers were more severe and fecal MPO levels greater in the horses receiving phenylbutazone. These results suggest that firocoxib’s effects were less severe, said Richardson.

Posted By: mc41
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:08pm
How many horses in work eat from a feed bin low down V’s bin hanging on door ?

Posted By: linghi11
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:25am
Has anyone trialed an oil-heavy/low-grain diet to combat ulcers?

-------------
to the victor

Posted By: Sister Dot
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:58am

Gastric ulcers in racehorses: treatment options to try
Most racehorses experience this painful condition at some point — here's how to help.
source-image
Mar 01, 2010
By Ed Kane, PhD
DVM360 MAGAZINE
12Next

Gastric ulceration is an extremely common ailment in Thoroughbred racehorses and can be a performance-limiting disease. When they're young, most racehorses have normal stomachs, but once they begin training, most will develop ulcers.

Indeed, race training has been shown to increase the prevalence and severity of ulceration, sometimes in as little as three months after being introduced to the racetrack, according to one study. The unique conditions found in a racetrack's backstage environment predispose racing Thoroughbreds to ulcers. Those conditions include the feeding regimen, stresses of confinement and intense training and racing regimens. All have been indicated as factors leading to an increased incidence of gastric ulcers.

"Prevalence of ulceration in Thoroughbred racehorses is very high. In my experience, it's around 85 percent to 90 percent, and probably reaches 100 percent at some point in a horse's career," says Bryan Young, DVM, of Young Equine Services, Cypress, Texas.

Signs of gastric ulceration in adult racehorses include poor eating and body condition, weight loss and, in some instances, poor racing performance.
A few nonpharmacologic treatments can reduce the signs and incidence of gastric ulceration in some racehorses. However, the primary treatment is pharmacologic suppression of gastric acid secretion, most effectively dosed daily.

The importance of diet

The horse is meant to be a continuous feeder, says Young. The roughage it eats helps to buffer low pHs, which begin the ulceration process.

Scott Hay, DVM, notes that the horse's penchant for grazing means it is a constant gastric-acid secretor. "But we want to feed them 'meals,' and necessarily so in some instances," notes Hay, a veterinarian at Teigland, Franklin and Brokken, DVMs, P.A., in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He says in essence that it would be difficult to keep racehorses at a high level of nutrition without allowing them constant access to roughage, yet that constant feeding may lead to ulcerations.

Horses simply don't get the same benefits from constant grazing as they do when being fed meals of grain, he continues. "That's why people try to keep hay in front of them constantly. If they're being fed grain meals, they don't eat all the time and don't pick and graze as they would do in the wild," he continues. "Having the constant exposure to gastric acid secretion means they're prone to ulcers."

Type of diet and amount of roughage fed may play a role in the induction of ulcers. Feeding hay alone increases postprandial gastrin concentrations, and feeding pellets or grain may result in a larger increase in postprandial serum gastrin, which implies increased gastric acid secretion. Hay and grain contain varying amounts of fermentable carbohydrates, converted by bacteria to volatile fatty acids (VFAs). It has been shown that VFAs at low stomach pH may penetrate the mucosa and cause local acidification, inflammation and ulcers. Adding a good protein source such as alfalfa hay and a higher calcium content to the feed may help buffer stomach acid. Not continuously feeding a horse or depriving it of food for long periods (e.g., 48 hours) also may induce ulcer formation.

Young notes that racehorses need a high-protein feed just as human athletes need a high-caloric intake. He suggests that trainers and owners balance a racehorse's high-protein feed with a lower protein feed that also will help to buffer acidic components. This could include different types of oats, perhaps a pellet for horses that are more susceptible. Young says alfalfa hay has been shown to help in buffering stomachs, not in causing ulceration as had been assumed in the past.

A break in the training regimen

Hard and frequent training may be another reason racehorses are prone to gastric ulcerations. Young notes, "We've seen that ulcerations will heal in a relatively short period of time, 30 days or so, with rest from the racetrack."

Hay recalls working with one filly that was unable to consistently keep weight on. "She didn't eat well at certain times. She was a top-quality horse and raced in stakes company. She wasn't winning, but she was very competitive," he remembers.

"The trainer decided to give her some time off, not only because of her ulcer problem, but also for some foot issues. They assumed she had the ulcer issues, though they were never diagnosed definitely by esophagogastroscopy. But they always assumed she had them by her body weight and eating habits. They turned her out on a farm, treated her with gastric ulcer medication and gave her three months off. And she started to look great."

The horse was put back into training, but her signs returned. Hay administered omeprazole for two months, and she won four stakes races in a row. "She just needed to be kept on medication to compete right, be able to eat constantly, keep her weight on and be at the top of her game," Hay says.

He calls her a poster-horse for treatment of gastric ulcers and how racehorses can be kept performing at top level by taking care of the underlying gastric problem.
Pharmacotherapy options

At the racetrack, Hay says, veterinarians give medications such as phenylbutazone, flunixin meglumine and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) that tend to reduce horses' defense mechanisms to other diseases and conditions and, thus, predispose them to ulcers. Meanwhile, the objective of pharmacologic treatment of ulcers in racehorses is to make them feel better, eliminate clinical signs, promote healing and prevent recurrence so the horses eat well, maintain good weight and stay competitive.

To decrease gastric acidity, treatment options include H2-receptor antagonists and proton pump inhibitors. The H2-receptor antagonists block the interaction of histamine with H2 receptors on the parietal cell, decreasing hydrochloric acid secretion. They also partially inhibit feed- and pentagastrin-stimulated acid secretion.

Proton pump inhibitors block gastric acid secretion via irreversible inhibition of hydrogen-potassium ATPase, the final enzymatic step in the acid secretory pathway.
Other possible drug therapies include synthetic prostaglandins, mucosal protectants and antacids, the latter of which neutralize stomach acid usually via a mixture of aluminum and magnesium hydroxides. Young also recommends buffering agents, corrective suspensions and various magnesium hydroxide products such as Pepto-Bismol or GastroCote (bismuth subsalicylate). "If given daily, we see at least some cessation of signs. We don't think we're going to cure ulceration with those products, but at least the horse will feel and eat better and, subsequently, will perform better," he notes.

All of that said, however, Young points to omeprazole as the "first line of defense" in his equine practice. "We feel that GastroGard, a proton pump inhibitor, has the best results. Unfortunately, it is expensive. A lot of clients simply cannot afford a daily tube of GastroGard, which can run veterinary bills up to $1,000 per month, just for trying to keep ulceration away."

He also uses compounded omeprazole, but cautions that he doesn't see the same level of results as with the GastroGard. "But we do see some results and some cessation of signs," he says. "And from a financial perspective, our clients like compounded omeprazole more on a daily basis."

If esophagogastroscopy finds significant ulcerations, Young strongly recommends that GastroGard be administered.

Conclusion

Controlling gastric ulcerations in racehorses is a complex process —one that requires reduced training, a change in feeding regimen and perhaps pharmacologic administration.

Ed Kane, PhD, is a researcher and consultant in animal nutrition. He is also an author and editor on nutrition, physiology and veterinary medicine with a background in horses, pets and livestock. Kane is based in Seattle.

-------------
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:18am

4. Consider adding some alfalfa chaff to your horse's feed to increase the buffering potential of the ration. 100-200 grams/ 100 Kg BW is suitable

5. If your horse requires more calories in the ration to support body condition consider 'topping up' the ration withEQUI-JEWEL®, a high fat, rice bran supplement which boosts the calorie content of the ration without excessive cereal intake and without increasing the meal size

Equi-Jewel webEQUI-JEWEL® is pelleted, high oil, stabilised rice bran supplement designed to increase the energy density of the whole diet, thereby decreasing the reliance on cereals in the diet. EQUI-JEWEL® is also an ideal product to improve topline and condition on your horse. The essential fatty acids contained in EQUI-JEWEL® are necessary for healthy coat and skin condition. In addition to improved condition, research has proven its superiority in optimising performance. EQUI-JEWEL® is fortified with the correct level of Vitamin E and ensures optimum calcium to phosphorus ratio

6. When adding additional liquid oil to the ration, make sure that you check the antioxidant status ofthe ration e.g. Vitamin E.

7. Provide as much pasture turnout as is practically possible

8. Provide constant access to water

9. Look at ways of helping to reduce stress levels.RiteTrac SmallBucket small

10.Consider using antacid supplements such as KERx RiteTrac™ to help protect the digestive systemfrom gastric lesions. RiteTrac™ is a proprietary blend of ingredients with fast acting antacids,buffers and coating agents to help optimise pH in the stomach, as well as the inclusion of ahindgut buffer to aid digestion. Available as a powder in 3kg and 6kg tubs, RiteTrac can be simplyadded to feed at a rate of 120g/day – 60g in the morning and 60g in the evening.

-------------
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”

Posted By: linghi11
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:27pm
KERx RiteTrack is not currently available in Australia as far as I can tell.

-------------
to the victor

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:10pm
The following is an extract from THE HORSE -J Warren Evans. I sleep with this book under my bible and receive electronic updates on a regular basis.  It essentially supports what Sister Dot has posted:

Prevention and Treatment

As always, prevention is preferable to treatment. We have described some common risk factors that can contribute to the formation of gastric ulcers in horses. The following management techniques may assist in preventing ulcers:

·         Feed horses frequently or on a free-choice basis (pasture). This helps to buffer the acid in the stomach and stimulate saliva production, nature’s best antacid.

·         Reduce the amount of grain and concentrates and/or add alfalfa hay to the diet. Discuss any feed changes with your veterinarian so that medical conditions can be considered.

·         Avoid or decrease the use of anti-inflammatory drugs. If anti-inflammatory drugs must be given, consider newer ones such as firocoxib, if appropriate.

·         Limit stressful situations such as intense training and frequent transporting.

·         If horses must be stalled, allow them to see and socialize with other horses as well as have access to forage.

Acid pump inhibitors such as omeprazole and pantoprasole stop gastric acid secretion completely.  Other effective types of drugs for the treatment of ulcers are the histamine type 2 (H-2) receptor blockers such as cimetidine, ranitidine, and famotidine, which partially block acid production.

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:11pm
Well I actually sleep with it under my bed.  Embarrassed

Posted By: Isaac soloman
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:32pm
Didnt think of you SC as a bible reader. Pt will be impressed LOL

Always impressed with vision of american racehorses in their stables and the HUGE hay nets the horses have free access to 

Goats and Horses: A Natural Pair at the Racetrack

https://www.americasbestracing.net/lifestyle/the-life" rel="nofollow - THE LIFE
August 4th, 2019

Goats can have a calming influence on nervous or skittish racehorses and make terrific companions around the barn. (BENOIT photo)

Del Mar Thoroughbred Club story/Tere Albanese

When you think of goats, you usually think of them being on a farm and/or being used for their milk. But they’ve also been known to be pets and — at the racetrack — a friend for a horse in need.

Horse trainer Dan Hendricks has a goat at his barn named Jack. He is one of the larger breeds of goat with big horns and he just might butt you if you make him mad, or show any fear. As far as what breed of goat he is, though, that’s up for grabs.

“He’s just a goat, Hendricks said.

He came from a farm in Solvang. 

“They had four babies,” explained Hendricks, “so they sent two to the track and we got him. The first time they had ever been touched was when they put them on the van and then got him off.  Jack was wild. We started feeding him by hand and in a month or so he came around.  And he’s been pretty good since.”

Hendricks was replacing a goat that got sick and passed away. He had a horse that needed a companion and Jack helped that one and then, when that horse went out, he switched him to another horse.

Goats can help nervous horses. They become their “barn buddies.”

Symptoms of a nervous horse can be walking or even running around in their stalls. They also can do what is called weaving, which is rocking side to side. Another symptom is “cribbing,” which is holding onto the parts of the stall, or pen, with their teeth and sucking in air. Often, they also will have poor appetites.

If a horse has any of these symptoms, that’s where a goat comes in.

Hendricks explains that goats give the horses something to think about, as well as a companion. Thoroughbred yearlings and 2-year-olds are kept in pastures on farms with other babies that they run and play with. Horses are herd animals. The horses lose these companions when they come to the track. So the goat can be a comfort to them.

But do they really like each other?

“Ahh, most of the time,” says Hendricks, “but sometimes the horses are indifferent to the goat, until you take the goat away from the horse. When you do that, the goat usually misses the horse more than the horse misses the goat. The horse will whinny and the goat will make goat sounds calling to the horse.”

Goats come in all sizes and shapes. The goat that Hendricks had before Jack was a short chubby goat, rather than a tall one like Jack.

Hendricks, like other trainers, has additional ways to try to calm certain horses.

“I’ll put horses stabled side-by-side together,” says Hendricks. “I’ll take out some of the boards between stalls so they can see each other and become buddies, just enough so they know there’s another horse right next to him. It’s similar to using a goat, though you can’t do it with colts or young babies. But the ones that you can do it with can get real dependent on another horse. That’s why using a goat is better.”

The benefits can be seen in half a day or it may take a week, but giving a nervous horse a companion goat is sometimes the very trick that’s needed. And when it works, the pair can truly bond.

https://www.americasbestracing.net/the-sport/2017-richard-mandella-lifelong-horseman" rel="nofollow - Richard Mandella  has trained horses for more than 45 years and has used his share of goats as pals along the way.

“Oh, they can really help a nervous horse; make a night-and-day difference,” the Hall of Fame conditioner said. “I’ve used them often with fillies or geldings who need to be calmed down. You don’t want to put them in with a colt or a stallion; they can get too rough.”

Mandella provided a history lesson on the origin of the term “got your goat.” He notes that it comes from racing in England centuries back when goats and horses were often companions. On occasion, a rival might want to unsettle a horse he’d have to face the following day, so he’d sneak into a barn and make off with the horse’s companion that night — thus, they “got your goat” and may have gotten their horse an edge in the process.

Trainer Shelbe Ruis has a miniature Nigerian dwarf goat who is still a baby, just three months old. His name is Kevin. Ruis had wanted a goat, specifically a small one rather than one of the bigger breeds. Kevin will probably grow a foot taller, and a lot wider. Right now, he’s about 12 inches at his shoulder. (Hendrick’s goat, Jack, is three feet at the shoulder.) Ruis plans to use Kevin for nervous horses.

Are goats smart? Well, little Kevin knows his name, and Ruis is training Kevin to wander around the barn with no supervision. He knows all the horses and the horses are comfortable with him coming up to their stalls. Ruis is new to having a goat. Kevin is her first. She found him at a farm in Santa Clarita. There’s a woman there that has a herd of 30-40 goats. Many of them are sold for producing milk, but they also make good pets.

According to Ruis, Kevin is great friends with her little dog Buster.

Trainer David Bernstein describes a filly he had that was very nervous: “Without her buddy, she would not only not stall walk, she wouldn’t eat, and she would paw and dig holes. But with her buddy they’d both stand there just as calm as they could be.”

Bernstein said other animals can also work, but goats are the best, which is why he’s used them for years.

Trainer Art Sherman’s goat Miss Theresa at the barn. (BENOIT photo)

Trainer  https://www.americasbestracing.net/trainers/art-sherman" rel="nofollow - Art Sherman , who race rode for 21 years and now has trained horses (including two-time Horse of the Year California Chrome) for more than 40 years, presently has a female goat in his barn called Miss Theresa, named for one of his former exercise riders. Got her as a baby for $100 in 2011 and she’s been a barn regular since.

“I’ve always believed in goats for nervous horses,” Sherman says. “Especially fillies. You get one that’s skittish and you team them up with a goat, next thing you know everyone is happy.”

Though a fair share of trainers use goats (a current estimate by the Del Mar Stable Office personnel is that somewhere between 25% to 40% of the trainers on the grounds have goats), some don’t.

Veteran trainer Bruce Headley, who for decades broke his own horses, said he never had problems with nervous horses and therefore he never needed goats. But he did recall a time when he had hens at the barn.

“They used to get up on the horses’ backs and scratch them. The horses liked it.”

Those who know the iconoclastic Headley would surely understand.

And, of course, to each his own. https://www.americasbestracing.net/lifestyle/2019-goats-and-horses-natural-pair-the-racetrack" rel="nofollow - https://www.americasbestracing.net/lifestyle/2019-goats-and-horses-natural-pair-the-racetrack

Isaac, please check Preview before posting as many photos don't reproduce unless you 'copy image' or save to desktop then use Postimages.com

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:04am
Lot of truth there as I've seen a few stables over the years have for that exact purpose, reminds me of the two goats at the tip chomping away and decided to split up and meet in an hour, after the hour was up his mate hadn't returned so he went looking and found him miles away chomping his head off " whatcha eating " he said to his mate , mate replied
" I'm eating the movie gone with the wind" " what's it like " he asked " not as good as the book " he said.

Posted By: Jamal
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 2:32am
Rogan Josh had ulcers, and Bart realised these were troubling him. He fixed them and this went a long way to Rogan Josh's success in the spring of 1999

-------------
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:36pm
I always hit preview and i try many ways to get photos to happen.
 Feel free to include the photos yourself Gay. 

Posted By: PhillipC
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 12:09am
Horses are foragers by nature, so should never go without 'something' to nibble on for more than 2 hours.  The standard seems to be to feed a horse 2, maybe 3 times a day with the belief that this should suffice. 
There are slow feed hay nets available these days (much smaller holes than a normal hay net) which allows the horse to continually 'forage' throughout the day/night, without consuming too much hay.  The constant foraging keeps everything as nature intended and should reduce the instances of gastric ulceration due to feeding practices.
Hay types provided to the horse are irrelevant (eg. lucerne, clover, grass), as long as they are eating something.  
I have also heard of instances where horses given these slow feed hay nets can get frustrated with them due to them not being able to take a big mouthful.
If a horse is kept in a stable and only fed at 7 am and then again at 3 pm, it simply goes against how horses have evolved and is asking for these issues like gastric ulceration.

-------------
http://www.equinehaven.com.au

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 12:39am
It is true if the holes are too small some  wont try to use them.
Funny but true.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 2:06pm

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 2:13pm
WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON STRESSORS FOR HORSES?                         
A horse with absolutely no gastrointestinal ulceration can develop ulcers very quickly when subjected to physical stressors. This is especially prevalent when they are also being treated with Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory (NSAID) drugs, such as bute or Banamine, to prevent musculoskeletal pain. Extreme exercise also causes the body to increase the amount the acid produced. One form of extreme exercise is trailering over long distances. In addition, extended trail rides, hauling or training sessions may significantly delay the feeding schedule, allowing acid to build up. Many of the ‘training’ issues seen in our horses today are merely side effects of undiagnosed and untreated gastrointestinal ulcers.

Sweaty-horse.jpg

It is always important to remember that if your horse is sedated, given vaccines, antibiotics, or NSAIDs (bute, banamine), their gut flora will be temporarily negatively affected. It is imperative to provide digestive support in the form of pro-biotics, pre-biotics, digestive conditioners and/or drug therapies in order to avoid ulcers, colic or any other form of digestive distress.

Key causes of digestive distress:

Twice daily feeding
Hay as the main forage
Large amounts of grain at one time
Abrupt changes in feed
Extreme exercise
Long trailer rides
NSAIDSs (Bute, Banamine)
Antibiotics
Daily dewormers
Vaccinations
WHAT ARE EMOTIONAL STRESSORS?
As prey animals, horses are hard-wired with a fight or flight nervous system. When the horse reacts to psychological stress, the body increases the amount of stomach acid produced. Many horses are uncomfortable with a confinement lifestyle. Stalls limit their exercise and the ability to flee or see what is beyond the walls of the barn. Horses that have limited turnout due to an injury may also become psychologically distressed.

stalled-horses.jpg

As herd animals they are highly dependent on positive and reliable social interactions with other horses. In a study by the College of Veterinary Medicine at Iowa State University, 7 out of 10 horses that did not have ulcers, who were hauled to a new location with new pasture mates developed ulcers in less than a week. Their level of daily exercise was similar to what is typical for recreational riding.
This research affirms that re-establishing herd hierarchy and hauling may be enough to cause your horse significant digestive distress.

Stress triggers, which increase acid production are:

Changes in herd hierarchy/social interactions
Changes in stabling location or routines
Confinement lifestyles with little turnout
Traveling
Beginning Training or changes in daily exercise routine
Injury and confinement
Competition
"Ulcers have become extremely prevalent in
today's horse. To combat stressful conditions,
I created Excel to promote health throughout
the entire digestive tract."

- Mark DePaolo, DVM

HOW CAN I DIAGNOSE ULCERS IN MY HORSE?
There are three ways to further investigate the likelihood that your horse has ulcers. A great first step is to perform a focused acupressure point test to determine if there is sensitivity. Another option is to perform a therapeutic trial with drug therapy and/or digestive support supplementation. The most costly procedure is to have your veterinarian perform an endoscopy.

A simple, non-invasive indicator of possible digestive tract ulceration involves palpating acupuncture points near the horse’s girth area. These points are closely associated with the digestive tract, and start just behind the withers, run down along the horse’s barrel (behind the elbow) and cross the sternum. If the horse reacts with pain or sensitivity, it is very likely that your horse has an ulcer. You may also notice a defensive or reactive response when saddling or brushing this area. Severe acidosis and un-diagnosed ulcers cause often very sensitive withers or chronic sore backs.

A therapeutic trial consists of basing your diagnosis on the results of treatment with a proper drug or effective supplement. For example, if you feed your horse a digestive health supplement for one to two weeks and see improvement in symptoms, you have correctly identified the problem. Natural digestive support supplements are a fantastic way to perform a therapeutic trial, as there are no negative side effects.

In the mid-1980’s the endoscope was developed for use in diagnosing ulcers. It is a three-meter long instrument, which is passed up the horse’s nose into its stomach. The “scope” allows the veterinarian to view the whole stomach and determine the presence of lesions in the stomach lining. Unfortunately, this procedure requires a horse to fast for 12 hours prior and have water removed for two to three hours in advance. Another detraction from utilizing this procedure is that scoping will only diagnose stomach ulcers. The instrument cannot reach the hind gut, where as recent research shows, over 44% of all horses suffer from colonic ulcers.

WHAT ARE COMMON TREATMENTS FOR ULCERS?
It seems almost impossible that stress for most show horses could be decreased enough to treat or prevent ulcers in any but the healthiest of horses. Therefore, treatment should begin at the first sign of probable ulcers.

Drug Therapy

Once you have determined that your horse has a possible ulcer, we recommend that you treat for 10 days with an OmiprazoleTM product. It reduces acid production while neutralizing acid in the stomach and intestines. It also acts as an antacid and anti-diarrheal. Experienced compounding pharmacies are beginning to offer less expensive generic versions of this drug, so consult your veterinarian.

Digestive Support Supplements

There are several digestive tract soothing products available for daily use. Natural ingredients that are especially effective include plants/herbs (aloe vera), pre-biotics, and probiotics, which reduce inflammation and support the entire digestive tract. This kind of natural conditioner is complimentary to drug therapy and is recommended to begin on the 4th or 5th day of drug treatment. For minor cases of digestive discomfort such as intermittent diarrhea, a conditioner alone can be very effective. Make sure that your digestive conditioner does not contain ingredients like the toxic metal aluminum or bentonite clays, which include aluminum.

WHAT IS THE BEST PREVENTION FOR ULCERS?
Once diagnosed and treated for ulcers, horses are at risk for re-occurrences. The first step in prevention is a change in diet. Eliminate feed concentrates (such as ‘grain’) containing high amounts of carbohydrates and sugars which cause increased levels of acid production during digestion and promote ulcer formation. Carefully transition to high fat/high fiber feeds such as rice bran and alfalfa pellets. Review the label of your concentrates to ensure a low glycemic index mix. For example: molasses, corn, oats, wheat, molasses, mill run, etc. should not be fed to horses with digestive distress.

It is very important for the horse to be able to graze throughout the day rather than only eating two times per day. If stalled, having a low quality hay or pasture grass available at all times to prevent periods of fasting, keeps excess acid from building up. Try a small mesh hay net to slow eating and keep hay in front of your horse all day.

In addition to proper nutrition, an effective daily digestive support supplement, like Excel™ is recommended to counteract stress responses. It is important to to have feed a quality nutraceutical like this to help reduce inflammation, as well as naturally soothe the ulcerated digestive tract.

Most ulcer prevention dietary supplements are not strong enough to prevent ulcers when horses are subjected to the higher stress levels associated with intense training and competing, so we strongly advocate using an Omeprazole™ product for a few days prior to and during the event.

This information is for educational purposes only and should not be considered as Dr. DePaolo diagnosing your horse’s health. DePaolo Equine Concepts, Inc. recommends that you consult your regular veterinarian regarding specific health concerns.

TIPS FOR GOOD DIGESTIVE TRACT HEALTH
Use a natural daily digestive support supplement like Excel™.
Make sure your horse avoids fasting and is allowed a "grazing" diet of more frequent meals or more free choice forage. Try a small mesh haynet to slow eating and keep hay in front of your horse all day to protect against digestive distress and ulcers.
Review the ingredients in your complete feed. Eliminate concentrates that are high in carbohydrates (grains) and sugars (molasses). Substitute with rice bran, hay cubes or alfalfa cubes/pellets.
Add some alfalfa or stem-y hays to stimulate chewing, saliva production, and to help the horse gain weight. The calcium in alfalfa will help neutralize and acidic stomach. If you are hauling or at an event that disrupts your horse from eating for more than three to four hours, give your horse a break to eat hay/forage and drink.
Do not feed concentrates less than four hours before or after exercise.
Be aware of your horse's response to changes in feed, daily routine and herd interactions. Look for symptoms of ulcers and take action immediately. Consult your veterinarian for Omiprazole™ products.
Article Category:
Digestive Health

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:34am

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 12:10am
Found it whilst looking online for something else, Vet Products Direct, online Aust.
Vetproductsdirect.com.au

https://postimg.cc/gwgnR81F" rel="nofollow"> https://gasstation-nearme.com/" rel="nofollow - find me the closest petrol station

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net