Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Pat Hyland Retires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pat Hyland Retires
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:05pm
One of the icons of Australian racing has retired.

After 60 years in the sport, group 1 winning jockey and trainer Pat Hyland has advised that he will not be renewing his license and that he is dissolving his partnership with his son Chris from the beginning of the new season.

One of only eight Australian jockeys to win the grand slam, of Melbourne Cup, Golden Slipper, Caulfield Cup and Cox Plate.

He transferred from jockey to trainer with ease and among his many group 1 winners include Saleous, Bonaria and Zarita.

One of the true legends of Australian racing, bad health has caused this decision, and Pat will now spend his days on his Victorian farm.

Thanks Voyager, he deserves his own thread & probably had one untill the Mayor did the obligatory clean out.

Edited by Gay3 - 29 Jun 2020 at 9:16pm
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:10pm
Saw they had a winner in Sydney last week, think it was just under Chris’ name though. 
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:40pm
I'd like to thank Pat for a wonderful life in racing and for sharing his skills with an awful lot of people.

Pat had 4 rides for me, for 3 winners, 2 in town, the Valley and Flemington. I think his last city winner was for me, I could be wrong however he gave me thrills I never experienced before.

He was a money rider, he could judge pace like non other, he was better than Harry White in my opinion and as good as Roy. He was gracious and a gentleman, he treated owners with massive respect and got it back in spades.

I wish him all the absolute best in retirement, watch the footy and stay warm Pat, enjoy your retirement and don't answer the phone until after breakfast.....that's an order.
Good Old Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Good Old Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:35pm
Pat was a vastly underrated horseman who rode with great skill and flair. An outstanding rider on front running horses. Followed on by being a terrific trainer. A great life in the game. 
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 11:41pm
The way he won the 1985 Melbourne Cup on What A Nuisance...just kept driving him to the line - a tough win.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

The way he won the 1985 Melbourne Cup on What A Nuisance...just kept driving him to the line - a tough win.
“Was a peach of a ride. An absolute peach”
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
adolphus twirk View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 10:10pm
Sadly suffering from Alzheimer’s 

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 12:09am
LOL  As are a lot of us old farts.   
animals before people.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 1:05pm
Magnificent career in racing - few could claim they’d were involved in winning the big 5 - Melb Cup, Caulfield Cup, Cox Plate, Golden Slipper & Grand National Steeplechase.

What was Pats last ride as a jockey?  And his last winner as a jockey?
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 1:23pm
Does anyone know what happened to a mate of Pat's and a bloody good trainer and nice man Mr Terry Courtney? if you can let me know....thank you, Terry was thick as thieves with Pat, he would be distressed to learn this.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 7:39pm
From Janine, a FB friend:  "My brother Terry is doing well. Retired a year or so ago from the Racing industry. Pat is a very dear friend of the Courtney Family."
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 7:58pm
Pat and Terry Courtney Gay?  Goodness that takes me back.

Pat trained Triple Play for us.  She won three or four, was placed in town, and from two foals produced Triple Lark which won 12 for us.  I really admired Pat.

Later on I was invited to dinner by a friend who lived in Caulfield, and bugger me Terry's stables were immediately over Bernie's back fence.  Thought Terry had been out of the industry for many years.

Memories, memories.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:08pm
Thanks Team, Terry was/is a lovely fella, haven't seen him for 30 odd years, he was the friendliest bloke at Caulfield, I absolutely wish him well.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:30pm
Cheers Bonjour.

ps my memory is frizzled.  It was Brian Courtney who trained Triple Play for us.  Not Pat who only had a few in work by that time but was always up for a quiet chat.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:39pm
Pat (HYLAND) is a very dear friend of the Courtney Family."
Note the tread title SC Wink

Edited by Gay3 - 05 Jul 2020 at 9:39pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:45pm
Sorry if I'm so slow Gay.  When Terry Courtney was mentioned I immediately thought of his Uncle Pat.

And it's been a very long day, largely here on my lonesome ownsome.  Cry
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 12:39am
Wow, SC you owned Triple Lark?

Remember him well from when I was a kid.  Had a great winter in 1988 winning a few on end including the Manfred Hcp at Sandown & the Cromwell Welter at Flemington.

Was a regular fixture in 1600-2100m races for quite a few seasons, a great campaigner.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 10:33am
Can I ask why you use Lord Hybrow? I had a horse race against him at Yarra Glen, we did a suspensiory in that race, Pat was meant to ride our fella that day, he couldn't make the weight due to flu, late rider change, G Willetts, I regret it to this day. I think Brisque beat you that day?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 12:08pm
Lord Hybrow was one of my favourite horses as a kid growing up.

Yes the Yarra Glen race you’re thinking of was the Monty Millson Memorial Cup over 1950m on the Thursday before the 1988 Melb Cup.  LH carried 62.5kgs and was runner up to Brisque (Lee Freedman).  Probably the only time a Melb Cup runner has used an open handicap as Yarra Glen to round out a Melb Cup prep.

Some handy gallopers in the race that day like Sasha Bijou & Silver Shark.  Love to know who your runner was Bonjour?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 12:31pm
LH, Triple Lark was a great horse for us.  Apart from those city wins he won three country cups ( at Yarra Glen, Sale and Tatura) ran 2nd in another, and would have won the Warrnambool Cup had Australia Cup winner Dandy Andy not been in the field.

One day we won by a clear head at Yarra Glen, beating an import owned by Packer and co which was the subject of a big plunge.  Their number comes up in the frame and we demand to see the photo print.  "Sorry the camera malfunctioned".

We gave Triple Lark away when he'd had enough, ostensibly as a hack for a bloke's daughter, and blow me down he starts racing again for about 20 unplaced runs which made me really angry.

Ah memories.

And sad to hear about Pat.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 3:55pm
Great story there SC!

Your own brush with Lloyd & big Kerry.

I’m sure hearing the name High Bailiff still gives you nightmares Wink
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

One day we won by a clear head at Yarra Glen, beating an import owned by Packer and co which was the subject of a big plunge.  Their number comes up in the frame and we demand to see the photo print.  "Sorry the camera malfunctioned".

2ic, Sour grapes

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 7:35pm
I would be bloody sour too if I couldnt see a photo .  
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

2ic, Sour grapes

Please keep blatant trolling OFF the Racing & Breeding forums Disapprove
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 12:44pm
Pat has gone missing, please keep an eye out for him if you are in the area

Sam Hyland
My Dad is missing, Pat suffers from Alzheimers & has left the farm on foot around 4:30am this morning in Dore Road Nar Nar Goon North, please keep an eye out for Pat & contact police if anyone has any information 🙏
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 12:54pm
He's been found Shawy. Is ok. Found him in Pakenham
Time is a flat circle
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 12:57pm
Just saw on Twitter, he has been found. Good news.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 1:04pm
That's the best news to start a new week, so happy for Sam and the family, look after him team, he's one of the special ones.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 1:21pm
Huge relief for the family! Thanks Wink
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
 Post Reply Post Reply