Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Paddy Payne Snr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paddy Payne Snr
    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:43pm
Can train a winner too Clap

Payne portrait entered for Archibald

Katy Watts

A portrait of Paddy Payne, the patriarch of the famous Payne racing family, has been entered as a contender for this year's prestigious Archibald Prize.

Payne, a trainer in his own right, received international recognition when portrayed in last year's Ride Like A Girl movie based on the life of his daughter, Melbourne Cup-winning jockey Michelle Payne.

Many of Payne's children, including Michelle, expressed their love of the portrait on social media and hope that it is able to be a finals contender.

Artist Antoniette Preston produced the portrait of the Miners Rest trainer with oil on linen and said it was an honour to paint the father of 10.

"I loved hearing about his appreciation for horses, incredible devotion to his family and interesting views on climate change," Preston said.

"It has been such an honour getting to know Paddy.

"I hope to have captured his kindness and humbleness in this painting."

The finalists for the Archibald Prize will be announced on September 17.

[url=https://postimages.org/]

Edited by Gay3 - 25 Jun 2020 at 3:44pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:50pm
One thousand to one for the prize, when did a "photographic" one ever win ?
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 4:10pm
Lovely painting.  Is it a good likeness Gay ?
Yes, those art prizes often go to the blobs of paint that look like the pics the kid next door does.
animals before people.
sparticus View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparticus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 4:10pm
The detail is utterly staggering. What a work of art!! 
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 4:17pm
Gay may disagree AA, however it's an extremely good likeness imo - though he's lost about 10 years and more than a few wrinkles.

The artist would have had a private sitting or two with Paddy, though as Max infers it's very much like some photographic images I've seen of him around the time Michelle won the Cup.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:00pm
Interesting.  Thanx.  The eyes are certainly quite amazingingly good I thought.
animals before people.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:07pm
I wouldn't have picked it as not being a photo.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 9:11am
I rode work for Paddy and along side him back in the 60's in NZ........he used to ride in socks, he was a lovely fella, he still is, he must love the cold though, Hawera to The Rat........the only blemish on the man....sory to all you Ratters.......there must be something I missed...LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply