Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NSW Stewards & Integrity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:29pm
I cant get my head around why the race clubs pander to this bloke.  Not only is he a very poor speaker, he is just a bad look for the sport.
But thats just MHO .
animals before people.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I cant get my head around why the race clubs pander to this bloke.  Not only is he a very poor speaker, he is just a bad look for the sport.
But thats just MHO .
I suppose it is like having Tony Mokbel fronting a "dob in a dealer" ad
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:47pm
Oh Batman  LOLLOLClapThumbs Up  Too good . 
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 3:42pm

Pfieffer disqualified over false urine sample

Warwick Farm trainer David Pfieffer has been disqualified for nine months.

Last week’s Scone Cup-winning trainer faced stewards at a hearing on Tuesday to answer a series of charges, the most serious being he substituted a urine sample after a horse he trained returned an irregularity which was below the screening threshold limit.

Pfieffer was also charged for failing to report to stewards that horses he trained, Famous and Zouspectre, had blood present in a nostril.

Pfieffer pleaded guilty to the three charges – substituting the urine sample and the two relating to horses that bled.

The penalty handed down for substituting his urine sample was a 12-month disqualification, which was reduced to nine months due to Pfieffer’s guilty plea, his prior good record and his co-operation with stewards during the investigation and at the inquiry.

The penalty commenced immediately and will end on February 18 next year.

Under the provisions of the rules of racing, Pfieffer has been given seven days “to continue to care and train horses currently in his care, but such horses are not permitted to start in a race or barrier trial”.

He was also fined $2500 for the failure to report the two horses which had bled from one nostril.

Pfieffer said he wouldn’t be appealing the stewards penalties.

Pfieffer’s horses, including last Friday’s Scone Cup winner Laure Me In and Silk Sticking winner Yamazaki have been transferred to the care of Matt Dunn, who’s taken over the management of Pfieffer’s Warwick Farm barn.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 3:51pm
Lucky he is not an athlete or the DQ would have been at least 2 years
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 4:03pm
Will Stewards ever publish what his motivation was for substituting the sample ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 4:26pm
Why do NSW stewards not even announce these things til they're done and dusted?  I recall C. Waller himself being the one to announce the findings after the Junoob fiasco
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:10pm
Another cheat that will have the bleeding hearts saying what a lovely guy he is. Kick the grubs out of the game, while there is still a game. 
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Mr Grieves Mr Grieves wrote:

Why do NSW stewards not even announce these things til they're done and dusted?  I recall C. Waller himself being the one to announce the findings after the Junoob fiasco
Waller is a protected person. 
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:55am
Ahh Batman, The Chicken Queen wields enormous clout.......don't cross her!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 5:18pm
Kim Waugh $14500 fine.

Serge Lisny (?) 6 months disqualification. 
reductio ad absurdum
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 5:30pm
I thought Kim was going to fight the charges? Or clear her name or whatever it was
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 5:33pm
 at TJ ....Wink
animals before people.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Kim Waugh $14500 fine.

Serge Lisny (?) 6 months disqualification. 

Chicken feed!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 5:34pm
was supposed to be a LOL in there but for some reason it isnt.
animals before people.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 5:40pm
Big smile
Time is a flat circle
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 5:47pm
Hang on team, there's something wrong here, Kimmy told the press the other day she wasn't guilty, and she would clear her name? now her lawyer has told the press she is remorseful and pleaded guilty at the first opportunity??? What's going on? and only a fine? animal cruelty? Holy Cow.......this stewards panel instills NO confidence in me at all.

Should I ask my better half to not race her horses in NSW after this? I think I shall.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:29pm
WHAT A ******** JOKE!
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
theshu25 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theshu25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:53pm
Unbeleivable. The Fine and suspension should have been the other way around.  Surely the jockey was only doing what this trainer told him to do.
theshu
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 7:01pm

Let's not get carried away here.  

• AR231(1)(b)(i) – Failing to exercise reasonable care and/or supervision to the racehorse Tarsus to prevent an act of cruelty on 20 March 2021.  How many trainers check the spur their track jockeys are wearing?  So not a transgression that warrants a spell unless Lisny maintained that  Waugh was complicit. And that didn't happen.  

• LR52 – Failing to report a suspected breach of the Rules of Racing in that Tarsus had been mistreated on 20 March 2021.  Clearly guilty but a bad error deserving a hefty fine imo.

• AR228(b) – Improper conduct towards an employee who reported the mistreatment of the racehorse Tarsus to Racing NSW Stewards. Presumably tried to keep it quiet and got up the whistleblower, but again a fineable offence.

Not condoning Waugh's conduct for a single moment, however the only way she could cop a decent suspension/disqualification was if found complicit in the mistreatment.  And she simply wasn't charged in that regard.  

But as said, just IMO.

Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 7:23pm
They couldn't charge her SC as she wasn't at the track........doesn't that cause a mmmmm, jock decided off his own bat to do this.....mmmm, and to get up the stablehand......mmmmm, I wont be giving her a horse to train thats for sure.....you're entitled to your opinion though, thank god we still have that option in this thriving democracy.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 8:27pm
Dont the rules hold the trainer responsible for whatever it is, at the end of the day ??
Well thats how it works with the small trainers . 
animals before people.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 8:41pm
AA the trainer has been held responsible on a number of counts, and copped a $14k fine.

But please re-read my post where imo she hadn't been charged with a transgression necessitating disqualification.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:06am
I realise that, S.C.  But I dont see calling for anything lighter than what she got.
As Bonjour says, its our opinions and we can have them.
She obviously knows she got off light, as she quickly decided to cop it sweet and not fight it.  Which leads one to think she realises she got off light.
All I was saying was, no matter the excuses handed up, in the end the trainer is responsible, so the fine fits the crime.  But why then did Lisny cop a suspension, but not her ?Confused
animals before people.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:38am
Disqualified not suspended!!!!!!!!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:45am
LGHR TOLD YOU SO – JOCKEY THROWN UNDER BUS IN WAUGH CASE

JOCKEY Serg Lisnyy has been disqualified for six months for an act of animal cruelty after using a set of unapproved spurs on a horse at trackwork in March, and the horse’s trainer, Kim Waugh, was fined a total of $14,250 for her role in the incident.

CHRIS ROOTS reports for FAIRFAX MEDIA that Racing NSW stewards found Lisnyy guilty on three separate charges after the horse, Tarsus, suffered 15 lacerations from the roller spurs he was told to use by Waugh.

The stewards found that there was no intent to injure the horse, but Lisnyy responsible for the injuries.

Waugh, who was not at trackwork on the morning question, was fined $10,000 for failing to exercise reasonable care and/or supervise to prevent an act of cruelty. It was reduced to $7500 because of her good record.

She was fined $8000 for failing to report an act of cruelty, which was reduced to $6000 because of her good record, and a further $750 for improper conduct to a staff member.

Waugh’s lawyer, Wayne Pasterfield, told stewards that his client was remorseful for her actions and had pleaded guilty at the first possible opportunity. Waugh is considering her options of appeal against the fines totalling $14,250.

Lisnyy pleaded not guilty to charges of horse cruelty, using unapproved spurs, and a third charges of using spurs on a racehorse in an excessive and improper manner.

Lisnyy said he never intended to harm any horse he rode and was sorry for his actions and the injury caused to the horse.

EDITOR'S NOTE: As ARCHIE BUTTERFLY wrote on peterprofit.com today, integrity in SYDNEY RACING has hit ROCK BOTTOM.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 3:06pm
How on Earth this could go unnoticed for probably 6+ hours is beyond my comprehension Angry
Frustratingly for the industry, an associated hearing has now been tabled in the NSW Upper House with just cause, imo Ouch I often wonder how many similar cases occur without public & owners' knowledge!

RACING NSW STEWARDS REPORT

INQUIRY INTO THE CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUDING AN INJURY TO, AND THE REMOVAL OF, PART OF
THE TONGUE OF THE RACEHORSE MY COUSIN JAMES

Ballina Racecourse 4 June 2021

Stewards: M A Holloway (Chairman)

R. W. Loughlin

Stewards today concluded and inquiry opened on Friday 14 May 2021 into the circumstances surrounding an injury to, and the eventual removal of, part of the tongue of the racehorse My Cousin James.

Evidence was taken from licensed trainers Mr S. Phelps and Mr D. Chujo, licensed stablehand Mr B. Kliese, veterinary permit holder Dr S. McColgan and veterinarian Dr M. Markwell of WestVETS Equine Hospital.
Racing NSW General Manager Veterinary Services, Dr Toby Koenig assisted the inquiry.

Stewards established that on the morning of Thursday 1 April 2021, Mr Phelps did apply an approved rubber band tongue tie to My Cousin James prior to that gelding commencing track work and unintentionally failed to remove such tongue tie as soon as practicable after the
gelding finished track work resulting in its remaining on the gelding until that afternoon when it was identified. The consequence of which was that My Cousin James lost vascular supply to part of its tongue, resulting in it becoming necrotic and having to be surgically removed.

Stewards issued Mr Phelps a charge under AR231(1)(b)(i)

AR 231(1)(b)(i)

Failed to exercise reasonable care and/or supervision to prevent an act of cruelty to My
Cousin James on Thursday 1 April 2021.

Plea: Guilty

Stewards considered the following matters when assessing penalty

1. Mr Phelps had no intention to be cruel to My Cousin James.

2. Mr Phelps satisfactory level of care afforded to My Cousin James upon realisation of the offence.

3. Early guilty plea at first available opportunity.

4. Remorse and forthright evidence.

5. Disciplinary history.

MEDIA RELEASE: RACING NSW FAILS TO REPORT HORSE CRUELTY: Part of racehorse’s tongue “died” and had to be surgically removed after trainer left a tongue tie on, MP exposes in cruelty complaint to RSPCA

Racehorse “My Cousin James” had to have part of his necrotic tongue surgically removed after trainer Steven Phelps failed to remove a tongue tie, a Racing NSW Steward’s Report has revealed.

Upper House MP for the Animal Justice Party Mark Pearson issued a formal complaint to the RSPCA on 6 July 2021, and is calling for support on his bill that would see tongue-ties banned in NSW horse racing, along with whips and spurs.

Racehorses often have their tongues tied around their lower jaw by “tongue ties” (often made of rubber), in order to immbolise the tongue with the bit on top of it, making the horse easier to control.

Some trainers pull the tongue forward and sideways out of the mouth when tying.

Mr Pearson had previously written to the RSPCA on June 10 to find out if the RSPCA had investigated the case.

“The RSPCA NSW was not contacted by Racing NSW in relation to that complaint,” RSPCA NSW CEO Steve Coleman said in a letter to Mr Pearson on 12 June.

The tie had been placed on the tongue of gelding “My Cousin James” on the morning of 1 April at Ballina Race Track, and was only removed later that afternoon, by which time the horse’s tongue had become necrotic.

Mr Phelps was disqualified from racing for four months by Racing NSW.

“The fact that Racing NSW has dealt with this as an internal Racing NSW disciplinary matter is irrelevant to the legal duties imposed upon Mr Phelps by POCTAA as well as the public’s expectation that criminal sanctions should be applied in circumstances where negligence is found to have occurred,” Mr Pearson wrote in his second letter to Mr Coleman.

“I consider that based on the Steward’s charge of failure to exercise reasonable care, the serious pain and injury suffered by “My Cousin James” and Mr Phelp’s admission of guilt, there is strong prima facie evidence of a criminal breach of S.5(3) of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animal Act (1979) (POCTAA): ‘A person in charge of an animal shall not fail at any time (a) to exercise reasonable care, control or supervision of an animal to prevent the commission of an act of cruelty upon the animal’.”

The incident comes just months after Mr Pearson introduced a bill to NSW Parliament with the aim of banning the use of tongue-ties in horse racing, along with whips and spurs in horse racing.

“The time will come when the industry loses its social licence completely. Until that historic day, the bill protects the magnificent, majestic horses trapped within the industry from the worst of its practices,” Mr Pearson said in a speech to his bill on 17 February.

The bill would also criminalise sending ex-racehorses to knackeries, and put in place a birth-to-death racehorse registration and rehoming scheme.

A petition in support of the bill has over 11,000 signatures.

Media contact:
Elena Wewer – 0428 444 132

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 3:23pm
Any chance this is the end of tongue ties ? 
reductio ad absurdum
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 3:26pm
I would think so djebel.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 3:45pm
I doubt it , why should full time professional trainers who pay hundreds of thousands for their licence to train and abide by the rules and provide excellent staff for supervision be responsible by one mans action of neglect , this is what can happen when you train a horse and work outside the industry with no back up staff,just for arguiments sake,who
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>