Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NRL 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 60>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NRL 2022
    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:28pm
Refer ALP Election Promises
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:33pm
 a lot of them will end up with dementia.

All those head-knocks will come back to haunt them.

Cry
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:38pm
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 8:37pm
Just heard sad news that one of my favs from the 80's has passed away.

Olsen Flipaina who was awesome at his best, has passed away at age 64 from kidney failure. 

Along with the Sorensen brothers, Mark Graham and Hugh McGhan, Olsen was the cream of the crop form NZ in the 80's. 

Condolences to his family and friends!  
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 8:39pm
Okay so it looks like that time of the year where I make the most accurate prognostications about the season ahead Big smile LOL

Will do that Monday.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 9:13pm
 not sure I agree with all these state funerals for sports people. 

Who decides?

horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 9:55pm
Nominally the premier I think
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 10:48am
Who says state funeral? That would be crazy.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 10:52am
 it's happening...

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 10:55am
Says who?
Has to sell his medals to pay for his treatment but spend a million on a funeral. LOL

Simon Cameron

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 8:50am
The year has started with a farce in the Maori's versus The Indigino's Last night .

I wonder what bright spark allowed them to play in the same Black and White Colours ....    It was ARTHUR or MARTHA time.

Anyone else switch off real quick ? .
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 10:32am
 a very boring game.

agree about the uniforms.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 10:42am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Just heard sad news that one of my favs from the 80's has passed away.

Olsen Flipaina who was awesome at his best, has passed away at age 64 from kidney failure. 

Along with the Sorensen brothers, Mark Graham and Hugh McGhan, Olsen was the cream of the crop form NZ in the 80's. 

Condolences to his family and friends!  
  Mark Graham - what a player. As a good a forward as I've ever seen. Knew his son briefly. Poor kid - felt sorry for him. Was a shadow of his Dad physically - & always referred to as Mark Grahams kid. Was a fair halfback in his own right apparently in 2nd Division somewhere (cant remember for who). 
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 3:12am
kay it is that time of our journey on this blue rock in space, where all of the rugby league fans out there cross their fingers that I will not place a huge load of bricks on their teams backs for them to bare this season. So here it goes.

Premiership Finish. (For the record, the term a soft score, refers to the fact that if a team has injuries to certain players the score drops. So for instance if Luke Keary is lost again for the season, the Roosters drop 3 points with any replacement.)  

1. Penrith - 129. The youngsters played really well last season and they played hard to win the grand final, although a little luckily. Basically the same squad with only Capewell and Burton missing. Naden leaving drains their outside back depth but the two youngsters vying for Burton's centre position can do their job at least. With the lure of back to back, they will be somewhere in the preliminary finals and get their chance. 
2. Melbourne - 124. This is a very soft score due to Kamakamika and Asofa Solomona potentially being out for two entirely different reasons for the season. With Funicane, Hynes and Addo Carr now missing the teams depth will be tested. If they do not have the other two the teams score drops four points. The Brandon Smith off field nonsense may be distabilising but Bellamy should keep that in check and if he is a negative influence he will be left out of the team. With many leaving next season, including the coach, for me this is the last best hope for them to push for a title. They need Munster to regain his 2020 form and they need Papanhuyzen to shake off that injury last year. Expecting Xavier Coates to be a very nice replacement for Addo Carr on that side of the field, he might lack the Fox's pace but he is a good mover and he will be one of the best finishers for the season, if he can stay injury free.
3. Eastern Suburbs - 120. Have lost a few players with both Morris boys gone and Liu up to the Gold Coast. I have selected Radley in the hooking position as he for me is a better option than the alternatives. Obviously Keary needs to stay healthy and like last year if they get some injuries they will struggle. Have enough talent to make the eight but for me they are again a second week finals, at best team. Interested to see the improvement in Suaali this season.
4. Parramatta - 118. I have said it before and I will say it again, they need to win this season, as they are losing to many good players next year. Now fully aware of their situation, I am expecting this team to be very strong late in the season. Simonsson is a good winger and pick up from the Raiders, and should fill Fergusons shoes well. This is a defining season for Mitchell Moses! He needs to step up and lead the team.
5. Manly - 117. Same team and same game plan, just get Turbo involved in everything, even the coin toss. He needs more help in attack. Foran, Cherry Evans and Schuster need to not just sit back and hope for a Turbo onslaught. I can not see Turbo playing as well this season as he did last season because that was one of the best seasons (18 games for him) from any player. While he is fit and well the Manly side will challenge but they need him at full strength in the finals to be a serious challenger.
6. Souths - 117. Some huge downgrades for this team this season, and the two main ones are the captain and coach. They are missing Mitchell for the first four matches and they need Cody Walker to start the season I similar form to last year.  He does not have much help attacking wise and if Cook does not reach his best again, the teams looks pedestrian in attack compared to others. Cameron Murray and Walker are 10 point players but they need the other players to do their job. 
7. New Zealand - 116. This is the second year in a row I have had them making the eight, but as usual it comes down to attitude and dedication. With Ash Taylor and Shaun Johnson in the halves and Reece Walsh and Kody Nikamora at Fullback and Hooker respectively I can see a good spine developing there. The forwards are good enough to defend any team on their day, and if Harris and Fonua Blake can lead the forwards, I am expecting them to at least be a bit more consistent this season. 
8. Gold Coast - 116. Not sure they have improved here. Taylor and Fogerty gone. Will Brimson be his best at five eight, and the half back options are limited. Also rumors are starting that Fifita wants out, and this team needs dissention in the ranks about as much as I need a hole in my cerebral cortex. Can improve on last season, but they are a half back and a dynamic fullback short of a grand final win. 
9. Canberra - 112. Not sure what to make of this club. I like Fogerty who can organise with Hodgson while Wighton can play the Laurie Daley function. The forwards are fine with Tapine looking good and    Adam Elliott a nice pick up if he can keep his mind on the field and stay out of trouble off it. Croker was a shadow of his former self last season and it was not good for the team. Ricky needs to make the hard decision if Jarrod can not hit form early. The team need to get away to a good start and that will be difficult with the draw. Cotric back home is a good improvement and hopefully Nicol Klokstad can be injury free. They will be fighting for the final two finals spots.
10. Canterbury Bankstown - 110. Good improvement player talent wise here. Addo Carr, Burton and Pengai Jr give the team a more solid look. Add the extra year for the Pommy Luke Thompson who showed improvement last year and  if Hetherington can not be suspended they have a good front row rotation. Still a few outside backs short of reaching the finals but I am expecting improvement from this team.
11. Wests Tigers - 109. Again some improvements here. I have Hastings playing lock, and I would put Peachey in at hooker, considering the other options available. The Tigers have struggled attacking wise when Brooks has been quiet but with the two new players mentioned adding to Dane Laurie who had a good season last year and Adam Douehi who looks settled in at the 6 now, the speed they have out wide can now get more opportunities. If Luciano Leilua can be a bit more consistent, and younger bench forwards can keep improving, they look a better team on paper this year.
12. Cronulla - 108. Did better than  thought hey would last season, but they are still in their rebuilding phase and with anew coach this could be a holding year. Hynes and Finucane add experience and quality, but they still have to many questions all over the field. Wade graham should be an improver after coming into last season of a knee injury, they have speed out wide, but Hynes and Moylan will need help to create the opportunities and I am not sure the other players are capable.
13. Cowboys - 105. The team looks a little more structured coming into this season. Chad Townsend gives them a quality controlling half. Taumalolo hopefully will be sued with more minutes in a match. Tabuai Fidow back at fullback gives the attack a better rythym and Holmes is one of the best wingers in the game so if they can get him the ball in the open he can finish the chances. The forward pack still lacks help for JT but Luki looks an improver and as he is off contract if he can keep improving off his efforts last season I am expecting him to be highly sought after. Can not see them improving but they will win their share of matches.
14. St.George - 104. I think they have improved on paper but there are a lot of questions here. A teams forward pack with Aaron Woods, McGuire, and a returning George Burgess has to have question marks about the depth. The form last year of Jack Bird was good and if he can improve on that he offers a better assist to Hunt attacking wise. De Belin will surely be better for a full season back and if Lomax can stay injury free he forms a very dangerous center paring with Moses Suli. 
15. Brisbane - 104. I can see improvement in this team but this is a team who need to get back to te former clubs professionalism, they have talent but some players last year looked like they did not want to be there. Obviously Reynolds adds experience and quality. Not sure Staggs in at five eight is a winner, but it is worth a try while Kurt Capewell looks a nice fit as the flanking second rower. I also think Ryan James is a very very good pick up. His form for Canterbury last season when loaned out by the Raiders was very good and if he can stay sound, he might be a good buy for the team i the forwards where Haas needs help. 
16. Newcastle - 104. Sorry Knights fans but I am not seeing a good season coming up here. The young forwards are slowing in their development. Daniel Saifiti and Frizzell are the stars in the pack, but the other players need to step up. Dane Gagai adds some quality in the backline but while he is still a good finisher, his ability to create something himself has diminished. Jake Clifford is a drop in quality from Mitchell Pearce and the club needs more from Bradman Best as he has the size speed and agility to be one of the elite centers in the sport. This is a huge year for the Knights because Ponga is one of the generation that does not consider loyalty a thing, so if the Knights are not showing improvement I am expecting him to start squeezing the club for a release. 

In the end I think this season sees just about every team with a few exceptions actually improve through their recruitment. 

With that said I have the final four looking this way.

Penrith vs Parramatta

Melbourne vs Manly

Grand final - Parramatta vs Melbourne

Premiers: Melbourne

Dally M: Mitchell Moses

Dally M Team of the year:

Fullback - Clint Gutherson

Wing - Xavier Coates & Brian To'o                        

Center - Justin Olam & Waqa Blake

Five Eight - Jerome Luai

Halfback - Mitchell Moses

Hooker - Harry Grant

Props - James Fisher-Harris & Payne Haas

Second Rowers - David Fifita & Cameron Murray

Lock -  Nathan Brown

Coach Of The Year - Not sure. Justin Holbrook, Nathan Brown, Brad Arthur, Bellamy and Cleary to be the five. 

Top Point Scorer - Reuben Garrick

Top Try Scorer - Either Jason Saab or Xavier Coates, I will go Saab.

State Of Origin - N.S.W 3-0 

Clive Churchill Medal - Brandon Smith

Good luck to all teams, players and supporters for the 2022 season and lets hope we get a season where we have a more competitive competition.   
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 7:26am
 I'll walk backwards to Parramatta if The Eels win the premiership.

I agree with your assessment of Souths. Losing Reyno is huge. Mitchell's absence is telling. Damien Cook needs to play 'running', because Cody plays off him in a lot of instances. We are little chance of winning the big one unless a miracle occurs with the new half.  

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 4:26pm
Wests Tigers think the answer to their problems is to have 5 captains apparently.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 4:27pm
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 4:37pm
Breaking News: NSW Transport Minister David Elliot has been signed by Wests to bolster the side's defence: recruiters advise he lacks mobility but would stop anything.  Shocked
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Wests Tigers think the answer to their problems is to have 5 captains apparently.

Have you ever heard anything so crazy?

NFL teams only do 3.

Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 8:13am
Indigenous All Stars game counts towards NRL suspensions - Latrell returns in round 2.Dead

Simon Cameron

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 8:39am
The kick-abouts down the park have got the result to get everyone talking with Parramatta beating Penrith 36-0 last night.  Wait for the over reactions both ways from this, Parra fans booking grand final tickets and Penrith saying it was because the chin wasn't there.

This on the back of the Tigers beating the Roosters under 8s on Friday night to get their fans dreaming of September, although those dreams will be forgotten by round one when the Storm continue their proud tradition of tearing the Tigers a new one.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 8:54am
Their jumper sales and club memberships through the roof(very low roof) off unprecedented success in giggle games.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 9:16am
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

I'll walk backwards to Parramatta if The Eels win the premiership.

I agree with your assessment of Souths. Losing Reyno is huge. Mitchell's absence is telling. Damien Cook needs to play 'running', because Cody plays off him in a lot of instances. We are little chance of winning the big one unless a miracle occurs with the new half.  

Yes - but you've picked up Latrells brother LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 9:23am
Just got to get him off the pies and sausage rolls.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

The kick-abouts down the park have got the result to get everyone talking with Parramatta beating Penrith 36-0 last night.  Wait for the over reactions both ways from this, Parra fans booking grand final tickets and Penrith saying it was because the chin wasn't there.

This on the back of the Tigers beating the Roosters under 8s on Friday night to get their fans dreaming of September, although those dreams will be forgotten by round one when the Storm continue their proud tradition of tearing the Tigers a new one.
Very true. I consider this the perfect start for the PREMIERS. No one cares about pre-season - means squat all. It could only improve if the Rorters lose another 12 players for the season pre- round 1

And I agree with JJ. Voyager's comment above that Parra will have a strong back-end to the season will only happen if they have a shocking start & are out of finals contention. You automatically lose your ticker when you put an Eels jumper on LOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 9:58am
Voyager love your work by the way. Obviously creates lots of discussion. Think your Dally M team is a touch off the mark - can only assume you are a Parra supporter. Luai for me went off the boil last year - as a Panthers tragic need to see him re-ignite again before putting that sort of wrap on him. Moses - you have to be kidding. He has had his chance - no kid anymore. Players like him rarely ever reach their potential. Bit like Shaun Johnson. Gutherson - no way. Will be lucky to be in firsts by years end. And Waqa Blake ? - the bloke only ever had brilliant speed as a weapon & he has already lost a few yards. Will end up in reserves alongside Gutho. Panthers knew only too well he had limitations. Fifita will remain an attacking weapon - however will find it harder & harder to keep stamina to put in big minutes as he gets older. Hard for naturally big units like him. And Brandon Smith ? - not so sure. Wouldn't be the first Melbourne gun to struggle after leaving that regimented system. We will see.

Anyhow - always good to discuss - even if you don blue & gold  LOL 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 10:04am
 Souths played very ordinary, last night. 

No Reynolds is going to tell in the long-run, despite Ilias doing some good things. And without Cam Murray, the forwards are pedestrian. 

As for Paulo and The Sauce, the less said...

Confused

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 10:07am
Here's my surprise packet. Micky Moylan. Obviously needs to stay fit - which is long odds based on his history. However, if he does he will be the playmaker for the team. New halfback - & no Shaun Johnson - will result in that role for him to take. A magnificent talent who got let down by the Penrith mafia years ago. Best passer in the game , a great footy mind & not short on ticker.

You heard it here Wink
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 10:08am
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Souths played very ordinary, last night. 

No Reynolds is going to tell in the long-run, despite Ilias doing some good things. And without Cam Murray, the forwards are pedestrian. 

As for Paulo and The Sauce, the less said...

Confused

Don't waste your time watching pre-season football. About as useful as watching barrier trials.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 10:14am
 The Sauce and Paulo on one side of the field is a one-way pathway to the try-line for whomever we play.

Both can't tackle one-on-one.

Not sure we have replacements apart from Milne.

Blake Taaffe was found out, too. 

I know it's only trials, but Souths value the Charity Shield.

As do I. I met my husband at the charity shield.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 60>