Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Nick Kyrgios- what am I missing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nick Kyrgios- what am I missing?
    Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:39am
The wraps on him are enormous but I don't get it. I've seen plenty of brilliant young male tennis players over the years- McEnroe, Edberg, Willander, Becker, Sampras, Agassi, Nadal; I do know how to recognise one long before they win a grand slam. I look at Kyrgios and I don't see it.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

The wraps on him are enormous but I don't get it. I've seen plenty of brilliant young male tennis players over the years- McEnroe, Edberg, Willander, Becker, Sampras, Agassi, Nadal; I do know how to recognise one long before they win a grand slam. I look at Kyrgios and I don't see it.

Add Borg to that list.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:45am
I think he has the talent to win 10 majors. whether he has the temperament or not is another thing.

He is too showy.

He is very unlikeable.

reductio ad absurdum
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:48am
Def has the talent, question the commitment and the work ethic. His body isn't anywhere near what it could be, and his mind isn't focussed enough.........yet.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:52am
Our Lleyton was an absolute tossser at the same age. Hopefully these guys grow out of it too.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Our Lleyton was an absolute tossser at the same age. Hopefully these guys grow out of it too.

He was nowhere near as bad as the current big two.

He always had 100% commitment. Nobody ever thought he tanked a game or was not giving 100%

reductio ad absurdum
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:58am
He doesn't have a full-time coach either. Parted ways with many already. Not a good look. Clearly doesn't listen, or falsely believes he doesn't need one. Look at Andy Murray. He was already elite, but his game went to the next level with Mauresmo as his coach.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 10:59am

once a lollipop always a lollipop, he abused an umpire in his last match.

why is he considered an icon, hang around long enough and your d'headness becomes invisible?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:01am
Lleytons abuse of umpires is poor and always has been but that is not the issue here.

reductio ad absurdum
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:03am
I love the way tennis fans want to buy into the personalities of tennis players. It must be a function of the close proximity of the crowd and players, I'm sure if people could hear the sledging on the cricket or football  field, they would have a somewhat different view of many players.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:03am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Lleytons abuse of umpires is poor and always has been but that is not the issue here.

well it is because PT used him as an example
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:04am
It really has nothing to do with the question posed by Tlazolteotl. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:07am
Hewitt's insistence that his greatest joy in his tennis was playing for Australia. bull-shyt ! The two grand slams would have been the acme without a doubt. Lleyton was sucking up to the public with that story.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

He doesn't have a full-time coach either. Parted ways with many already. Not a good look. Clearly doesn't listen, or falsely believes he doesn't need one. Look at Andy Murray. He was already elite, but his game went to the next level with Mauresmo as his coach.

I don't think coaches are such a big deal, more personality fits rather than anything else 

Hewitt had 10, Djokovic, 7 Andy Murray 8 
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:08am
well sorry from straying to related matters, I did not realise there are such strict guidlines as to where the discussion wanders

it is called a conversation
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:16am
I don't think Kyrgios has the talent. He doesn't have the power to be a power player or the skill to be a skill player. I will be surprised if he wins a grand slam.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:19am

I don't think Kyrgios has the talent. He doesn't have the power to be a power player or the skill to be a skill player. I will be surprised if he wins a grand slam.

Did you see last nights game ?

He displayed all the skill necessary to reach the top.

He displayed more than enough power to reach the top. 

He lacks the brains at this stage and seems to prefer being a showman than being a tip top player.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:19am
Only time will tell.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:22am

He will win one I think, once it enters his head that he needs a grand slam he will knuckle down and win one somewhere, possibly a week one somewhere where the top players are injured or not playing..
Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:24am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Did you see last nights game ?

He displayed all the skill necessary to reach the top.

He displayed more than enough power to reach the top. 

He lacks the brains at this stage and seems to prefer being a showman than being a tip top player.

What I saw before I put a movie on was Berdych blasting him with power whenever he felt like pulling the trigger.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:26am
Kyrgios is tracking like a Mark Phillopoussis or Bernard Tomic. While Tomic is on the way back following elective surgery and may still realise, both are/were talented but injury prone. If Nick stays sound he could go better than both of them. Kokkinasis also has injury issues slowing down his career trajectory with shoulder recovery at the moment.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:27am
As far as I can tell and admittedly I don't follow his career closely, 90% of his reputation is built on beating Nadal at Wimbeldon, which these days doesn't exactly put you in the shooting star category.
Go Flash Go View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Flash Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:36am

You left out Stoser and little Hewy Shocked in that list - does that answer your question ?

One of the bonuses of not following sport any more is not having to listen to that cras commentary.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:41am
Stosur is still a female Flash. I think ? Tongue
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:43am
He just lacks Mental discipline and a game plan.

He would benifit greatly from a coach more so than any of the players on the circuit.

I think his anger is misdirected, don't be angry at the crowd and get them off side get angry at your opponent!

If he didn't look at Burdich last night and get angry that he should of beaten him I seriously think it may be a
LACK OF INTELLIGENCE!!!

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:44am
He is only 20, still 3 - 5 years away from gauging what he will finally be
Aurelius View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aurelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:49am
I think he is also fearful of failure, if he comes out with a coach and knuckles down and is not the best.

He needs to learn that he will never be the best their will always be someone better at some stage.

He needs Darren Weir coaching him, go out there and ride the horse for a place (took the pressure right off M Payne) a master stroke in training a jockey.

One of greatest achievements that he has not recieved any plaudits for, getting the best out of another human.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Aurelius Aurelius wrote:

I think he is also fearful of failure, if he comes out with a coach and knuckles down and is not the best.

He needs to learn that he will never be the best their will always be someone better at some stage.

He needs Darren Weir coaching him, go out there and ride the horse for a place (took the pressure right off M Payne) a master stroke in training a jockey.

One of greatest achievements that he has not recieved any plaudits for, getting the best out of another human.

Not with the gloves I hope Shocked
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 11:54am
It would be fascinating to listen in on the Kyrgios inner circle of backslappers and boosters, which I hear runs close to 100, to see if anyone ever advises him to pull his head out of his arse*.
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 1:18pm

Hewitt had also been the no.1 player in the world at the same age, and actually won tournaments.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>