Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Most Expensive Mares

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Expensive Mares
    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:18pm
Most Expensive Mares – Are They Worth the Money?
Tara Madgwick - Monday June 22

Our story last week speculating on the impending sale of Sunlight and where she would fit in the list of Australia’s most expensive mares sold at public auction got us thinking about the others on the list and where are they now?

Below is the list of mares sold at public auction in Australia for more than $2million.

Horse

SaleYear

SaleCompan

Buyer

Price

Milanova

Inglis

Coolmore Australia NSW

Samantha Miss

Inglis

Magic Millions Sales Pty Ltd a

Listen Here

MM

China Horse Club/Bruce Perry Bloodstock

Virage de Fortune

Inglis

Darley Australia NSW

Princess Coup

MM

E THOROUGHBRED PTY LTD

Divine Madonna

MM

DARLEY AUSTRALIA PTY LTD

Jameka

MM

Halo Racing Services Pty Ltd

She Will be Loved

MM

DEBORAH HO

Missrock

MM

John & Jake Warren

Monsoon Wedding

MM

Coolmore Stud

Maastricht

Inglis

Coolmore/ James Bester Bloodstock

Courgette

MM

E Thoroughbreds Pty Ltd

Milanova (Danehill (USA)) – Was sent to Ireland to be covered by Galileo and has produced four named foals by him, three have raced, two have won headed by Group III winner Pretty Perfect, who is also now at stud with her first two foals both sired by War Front.

Samantha Miss (Redoute’s Choice) – Was bought by John Singleton and is still at Strawberry Hill Stud. She has had six named foals, all have raced and five have won headed by Group II winner Miss Fabulass, who is by Frankel.

G2 winner Miss Fabulass is by Frankel from Samantha Miss

G2 winner Miss Fabulass is by Frankel from Samantha Miss

She was sent back to the UK for another service to Frankel in 2018, so has a weanling filly by the champion Juddmonte sire and is now in foal to I Am Invincible.

Listen Here (Elusive Quality (USA)-  Had already produced Group I winner Shooting to Win and Group II winner Deep Field prior to her sale. Since then has produced two colts for her new owners by Medaglia D’Oro (USA) and Snitzel, neither have raced, and she has a weanling filly by I Am Invincible and is back in foal to him.

Virage de Fortune (Anabaa (USA) -Still with Darley and has had seven named foals, five have raced and four have won headed by Group III placed Subedar.  She is in foal to his sire Sepoy after missing in 2018 and then losing a colt by Holler last year.

Princess Coup (Encosta de Lago)  - Has had eight named foals, six have raced and five have won headed by HK trained Group III winner Thewizardofoz( Redoute’s Choice). She has an unraced two year-old colt by Frankel called Argentia, a weanling colt by Sebring and is in foal to I Am Invincible.

Divine Madonna (Hurricane Sky) – Died in 2018 after producing eight named foals for Darley. She had six foals to race and four won headed by stakes-winner Maternal (Street Cry (IRE) and Group III placed La Pieta (Redoute’s Choice).

Jameka (Myboycharlie (IRE) – Jameka has a weanling colt by Impending and is in foal to Dundeel.

She Will Be Loved (Strategic) – Produced four named foals, two raced, both were winners with metropolitan winner Veeten (Redoute’s Choice) the best. Was sold privately into the ownership of Patinack Farm after producing her first two foals for Deborah Ho and was dropped from the Studbook in 2016.

Missrock (Fastnet Rock) -  Was exported to the UK after the sale last year.

Monsoon Wedding (Danehill (USA) -  Was already the dam of Group III winner Precious Lorraine and stakes-winner Lucky Raquie before the sale. Her first foal for Coolmore was Pierro filly Notting Hill, who made $1.4million at 2016 MM and won two races. She was then bought by Newgate Farm for $900,000 at the 2018 MM Broodmare Sale and is now in North America.

Monsoon Wedding was sent to Ireland in 2015 and has had two named foals by Galileo, but neither have raced.

Maastricht  (Mastercraftsman (IRE) – Was already the dam of Loving Gaby at the time of sale, but she’s since won two Group I races. Has a yearling filly by Sebring, weanling filly by Loving Gaby;s sire I Am Invincible and is in foal to Justify (USA).

Courgette (Charge Forward) – Was already the dam of Golden Slipper winner She Will Reign at time of sale and then not long after produced Silver Slipper winner Time to Reign. For her new owners, she has a yearling colt by I Am Invincible, a weanling colt by Snitzel and is back in foal to him again.

Edited by Gay3 - 24 Jun 2020 at 10:21pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:20pm
PART TWO- Most Expensive Mares – Are They Worth the Money
Tara Madgwick - Wednesday June 24

Our story last week speculating on the impending sale of Sunlight and where  she would fit in the list of Australia’s most expensive mares sold at public auction got us thinking about the others on the list and where are they now? This evening we look at those priced between $1.75 and $2million.

Below is the list of mares sold at public auction in Australia for more than $1.7million up to $2million. Click here to see our previous Part One story on mares sold for more than $2million.

Horse

Year

Company

Buyer

Price

In Her Time

Inglis

Newgate Bloodstock

Srikandi

Inglis

Tom Magnier

Sun Classique

Inglis

Patinack Farm Pty Ltd

Personify

Inglis

Kieran Moore Bloodstock

Lucida

Inglis

Freyer Bloodstock NSW

Bounding

MM

Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings

The Broken Shore

MM

Dean Hawthorne Bloodstock

Samaready

Inglis

Tom Magnier

Erato

MM

Yu Long Investments (Australia) Pty Ltd

Gregers

MM

Riyue Trading Pty Ltd

In Her Time (Time Thief) – Sold this year off the track.

Srikandi (Dubawi (IRE) -  First two foals for previous owner, fillies by Snitzel and I Am Invincible, have sold for $400,000 and $1million as yearlings, the first of them Heroess (Snitzel) has raced once for a fourth at Warwick Farm. She has a weanling filly by American Pharoah (USA) and is in foal to Justify (USA).

Sun Classique (Fuji Kiseki (Jpn) – Died in 2014 after producing three named colts that all raced, with two being able to win.

Personify (Galileo (IRE) – Has had seven named foals for Cressfield, six have raced and all have won with Laser Flash, Selectify, Trope and this season’s two year-old Fastnet Rock filly Personal all placing in Black type races.

G1 placed Personal might be the elusive SW for Personify next season.

G1 placed Personal might be the elusive SW for Personify next season.

The latter was third in the Group I MRC Blue Diamond and may yet be that elusive stakes-winner for Personify, who was covered by three different stallions last spring, the last of them All Too Hard.

The yearlings from Personify sold at auction have generated $2.39 million in total.

Lucida (Danehill (USA) – Lucida died in 2016 after being on-sold the previous year at MM National for $160,000 to Lakeview Resources having spent her previous years since her original sale with Fairway Thoroughbreds. She had eight foals that all raced for five winners with All That I Know (Mire Than Ready (USA) placing in a Listed race in Tasmania.

Bounding (Lonhro) – Was sent to North America straight after the sale and her first foal, a colt by Curlin, sold for $4.1million at Keeneland September last year when bought by Godolphin and has been named Aussie Pride. She was covered by Medaglia D’Oro in 2019.
Sale ring superstar!

Sale ring superstar!

Bounding had a big pedigree subsequent to her sale with her half-brother Anthony Van Dyck winning the Group I Epsom Derby in 2019, their dam Believe ‘n’ Succeed is now based in Ireland after starting her stud career in Australia. Believe’n’Succeed was bought by Tom Magnier for $1.1million at the MM Broodmare Sale in 2014.

The Broken Shore (Hussonet (USA) -  Has had four named foals, three have raced and all have won headed by triple Group I winner Shoals (Fastnet Rock)  and Group I placed Groundswell (Fastnet Rock) , who topped the 2018 Inglis Easter Yearling Sale when fetching $2.3million.
Triple G1 winner Shoals - image Steve Hart

Triple G1 winner Shoals - image Steve Hart

She has an unraced two year-old colt by Medaglia D’Oro (USA) called Rapids and a yearling filly by Fastnet Rock. She is now in foal to I Am Invincible after missing the previous year..

Samaready (More than Ready (USA) – Sold this year in foal to Snitzel, who is the sire of her best offspring, MM 2YO Classic winner Exhilarates .

Erato (Street Cry (IRE) – Had already produced Blue Diamond winner Lyre before the sale. Produced a colt by Russian Revolution for new owner last year that died subsequently and she was then covered by Lyre’s sire Lonhro.

Gregers (Commands) – First foal is a Written Tycoon 2YO filly Future Force that has raced once and then she has a yearling colt by Written Tycoon, a weanling filly by Snitzel and is now in foal to Lonhro.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:47pm
Interesting thread.

Ultimately should be expanded to include million dollar yearling fillies.

reductio ad absurdum
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 6:51pm
That would be quite illuminating. Especially part buybacks.

another pricelist I would dearly love to see is the R.O.I. of James Harron colt purchases. He has had a couple of successes but an inordinate amount of misses. Dean Watt might even have a better strike rate.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 7:24pm
Couldn't agree more re those particular two.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:29pm
Can we do some assuming? High priced mares at auction are not returning on the investment. Coolmore trying to emulate Irish division, except over there they bred a lot of the SW mares, then used their stallions over those mares. The results are spectacular. Here in Oz, the comparisons are not worth commenting on. Abject failure. why???
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:31pm
Harron, Magnier...?  Embarrassed
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Majestic Majestic wrote:

Can we do some assuming? High priced mares at auction are not returning on the investment. Coolmore trying to emulate Irish division, except over there they bred a lot of the SW mares, then used their stallions over those mares. The results are spectacular. Here in Oz, the comparisons are not worth commenting on. Abject failure. why???

How much publicity is Justify getting and is it worth the outlay alone for those mares ?

How many broodmare owners will fall over themselves to be part of the Justify wastage ?

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:04pm
Clearly Justify can expect a busier book this season, and yes the decision does smack at further marketing the stallion to outside breeders rather than Coolmore having to use too many of its own mares which was allegedly the case last season.  As for the planned mating, it does absolutely nothing for me from a pedigree match perspective.  

But almost remember being possibly wrong before.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:57pm
I dont see Justify being a champ here in Ozz.
On breeding.
But lets see how he goes before you all crucify me. 
And I look like an idiot.
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply