Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Mirage Dancer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mirage Dancer
    Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 5:31pm

Mirage Dancer's spring campaign is set to be his last, with connections of the eight-year-old son of Frankel in negotiations for a stud deal in Ireland.

There are also plans, however, to go out in a blaze of glory, with the stallion to attempt to defend his crown in Saturday's Group 1 Metropolitan Handicap at Randwick.

"He got vetted yesterday but the money isn't in the bank just yet," said co-trainer Natalie Young, who trains in partnership with Trent Busuttin.

"He's going to go stand in Ireland, which I think is fantastic, he's got a major pedigree and if they win a Group 1 over 2400 metres here, nobody really wants them.

"We're just weighing it up because they are expecting a bit of rain about on Saturday, so if the track is going to be bottomless, we may wait and go to the Herbert Power, but we'll weigh it up, he's meant to be on the float Thursday night."

Mirage Dancer was originally trained by Sir Michael Stoute and arrived in 2019 to great anticipation boasting strong European form lines, finishing third in the Caulfield Cup.

It's a race that he also competed in last year and the stable hopes to again in his swansong campaign.

"He's booked to fly out on the 12th of December, so he's got to go into quarantine a month earlier, so the 12th of November, so I'm hoping we can go to the Metrop on Saturday and bring him back into the Caulfield Cup if he runs a good race," Young explained.

"And then throw him in the Melbourne Cup just to make my dreams come alive because it's my daughter's birthday.

"But I think it's great he's found a home if the money comes through, he's got such an amazing temperament for an eight-year-old stallion."

Mirage Dancer has drawn barrier 13 with Sam Clipperton booked to ride in Saturday's G1 contest.

"He's flying, I thought going into the Naturalism I thought he'd run a really good race," Young said of his fourth placing.

"He worked with Sierra Sue on the Tuesday and probably worked a little bit better on the line actually.

"I think he's better ridden up behind the speed rather than back hitting the line.

"He's got that 200 metres sprint and that's about it."

Young admits Mirage Dancer is the sentimental favourite, guilting her into a comeback of trackwork riding to partner him each morning and give him a grass pick most afternoons.

"We all love him," Young said.

"I take him for a pick every afternoon and he's just got an unbelievable temperament for a stallion.

"I think you'll look back and see a photoshoot with two ballerinas beside him, and that pretty much sums him up, there's not many stallions like that.

"It'll be sad to see him go, but I am just really glad he's got a stud gig if it all goes through.

"I'd love to send a mare to him at stage and try and breed a Melbourne Cup winner, you never know."

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 5:56pm
If Victoria was serious about Jumps racing somebody would set up a National Hunt stud or stand National Hunt stallions on their roster.

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 6:38pm
There are enough ways to spend & lose a fortune unintentionally, in racing/breeding/horses in general, without committing hari kari LOL
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 6:54pm
Yep, a good way to lose money.  This regarding the situation in England, the home of Hunt Club breeding, racing and point to point.  Also bearing in mind many of the hunt foals in Great Britain, Ireland and France end up chasing foxes, racing for peanuts, or are inter-bred with warmbloods for equestrian pursuits.

British National Hunt stallions have long battled against a low National Hunt broodmare pool, a figure neighboring in and around a thousand. Ample supply of sires in Ireland and France have meant many mares emigrated across the Channel or the Irish Sea for covering duties, which in turn reduced the incentive for National Hunt stallion prospects to reside in Britain
 Post Reply Post Reply