Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Medical & Health Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Ditto tennis.if your I capable of hitting the ball back

Totally incorrect, it is harder to keep a ball in play in tennis, poor players hit the ball into the net, out of court ,don't reach it. As a matter of fact the better the standard the longer the rallies, especially since serve and volley is out of style

Suspect there it is not quite that simple and you get to a level of play after which any improvement makes for shorter rallys. Most common length of rally on the pro tour is 1.

http://www.mattspoint.com/blog/rally-lengths-in-tennis-a-contrasting-perspective

fair enough,Djoker must be an exception as are Nadal, Federer  Smile 
I have played both tennis and squash at a low level, squash was far more taxing aerobically, no comparison,often ran till exhaustion.
I guess the study I posted focussed on elite athletes
Agree Whale. Same result when played at a high level
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:12pm
I would think professional cyclists who do 3 week grand circuit tours like the Tour De France would have to right up their for aerobic fitness. No wonder they are full of drugs
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 7:06pm
Not many sports are easy at advanced level when measured by the endurance required.      No surprise to hear Whale suggest Squash as being very exhausting ,   I've never played it but have witnessed physical wrecks coming off hard games.
Boxing, Rowing , Bicycle racing, are just a few that leave you stuffed.

Most can be Played if not so fit, as the only penalty is fatigue & defeat.

The one I can assure you , Where superb fitness is a MUST, or there is a terrible price to pay , is Boxing.     Probably the hardest of them all for that reason .   
The only place on earth where an hour equals 3 minutes , is in a Boxing ring.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 1:21am
It appears that I have misread whales thoughts. Squash is aerobically more taxing than tennis
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 4:43pm

Does Your Poop Sink or Float? (And Why It Matters)

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 4:57pm
That's all very well - & informative. Trouble for me i tend to be all over the place. Floater, sticker, sinker - seems to be very much what my intake has been prior. 
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 5:40pm
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 5:43pm
Can't believe how slowly people walk, my casual speed is 4 mph, faster on a long walk

The walking speed for those with the average life expectancy was about 0.8 meters per second (about 1.8 mph) for most age groups of both sexes. Walking speed was a more accurate predictor of life expectancy than age or sex, the study showed.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 5:53pm

Why Men Who Can Do 40 Pushups May Have Better Heart Health

The ability to do a lot of pushups may be a sign not only of strength, but also of good heart health, a new study suggests.

The study tested the stamina of middle-aged male firefighters. It found that those who could do more than 40 pushups in a row had a 96 percent lower risk of being diagnosed with heart disease or experiencing other heart problems over a 10-year period, as compared with those men who could do fewer than 10 push ups.

However, because the study looked at only male firefighters, who have very active jobs, it's unclear if the findings apply to average Joes. [9 New Ways to Keep Your Heart Healthy]

But the findings suggest that "pushup capacity could be an easy, no-cost method to help assess cardiovascular disease risk," study lead author Justin Yang, an occupational medicine resident at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Boston, said in a statement.

The study was published Feb. 15 in the journal JAMA Network Open.

https://www.livescience.com/64789-pushups-men-heart-health.html

How many pushups can you lard-arses do?Big smile

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 5:57pm
I can do 500 pushups, only because I have been doing them for decades, I think the heart health is more to do with active jobs
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 5:59pm

I can do 500 pushups, only because I have been doing them for decades, I think the heart health is more to do with active jobs

That beats any of redemption's for crazy claims.Big smile

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Pushups in one go, not per decade.Wink

Simon Cameron

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:01pm

If you say so, have been doing them forever, have done millions in my lifetime, usually do decline ones, feet on the bed.
Means nothing, just shows if you practise one thing you get good at it
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:03pm

One go, normally do 4000 a day, 2 or 3 times a week. Used to do them every day but am getting old and also the mental dedication decreases
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:07pm
Please keep posting all this stuff. i'm coming up smelling like roses. Fast walker, can do stacks of push-ups, big donga...........LOL
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:08pm
lol look who is here, but you don't take any interest in me Thumbs Up
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:09pm

One go, normally do 4000 a day, 2 or 3 times a week. Used to do them every day but am getting old and also the mental dedication decreases
Well how come you have flabby arms & a hollow chest Whale ? Somethings not right
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:11pm

lol look who is here, but you don't take any interest in me Thumbs Up
Yes sorry Whale - there are just so many active threads in this joint at the moment. I'd even follow Rusty down here if he made a comment...........
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:14pm
& that picture you posted of yourself had you with bloody weedy little biceps. Hardly capable of 4 million - or was it 4 trillion - push ups a day.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:14pm
There is also another  test of longevity and chances of dementia. The length of time you can stand with one leg off the floor, eyes shut. On that measure I will be gaga in 23 days and dead in 38.

Simon Cameron

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

That's all very well - & informative. Trouble for me i tend to be all over the place. Floater, sticker, sinker - seems to be very much what my intake has been prior. 

Be aware of huge numbers being allergic to Gluten ... Wheat produced especially.   Floaters are a message from an area where the mouth must never be opened.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:48pm

There is also another  test of longevity and chances of dementia. The length of time you can stand with one leg off the floor, eyes shut. On that measure I will be gaga in 23 days and dead in 38.

Have seen that test and it is a worry, my balance has gone or unbalanced as some would say Smile
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:48pm

I did 800 once before I realised the bird had gone home before I woke.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:51pm
I am amazed at the reaction to what I consider standard physical activities, especially the walking. I am guessing there would not have been that reaction 50 years ago.

It  shows the appalling lack of fitness in our pampered modern existence
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Be aware of huge numbers being allergic to Gluten ... Wheat produced especially.   Floaters are a message from an area where the mouth must never be opened.

I have had the suspicion that I am for years. Don't go to doctors though and would never go through the tests
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:55pm
I did a pushup once.Thumbs Up
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 7:01pm
I imagine Whale as a surprise packet.   Quiet, Wiry style and superbly fit.

BTW ...   Anyone see the superb effort of the lady who went all the way on the Ninja show last night ...   SUPERB , I couldn't believe it.

I didn't think any lady could defeat most men in such a grueling event ..
Nothing special about her outward , visual strength .     More a stylish feminine type ,   BUT her strength & endurance , blew me away.
Her Boyfriend ( one of the favourites for the events ), fell at an earlier hurdle.
Softy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 7:11pm
Diverticulosis.
I recently found out a relative suffers from this (severely) and didn't realise it was so common.
Western diet induced, I would recommend Millet as a fibre alternative.
But do your own research, as many of us over 50 probably have it.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I imagine Whale as a surprise packet.   Quiet, Wiry style and superbly fit.

BTW ...   Anyone see the superb effort of the lady who went all the way on the Ninja show last night ...   SUPERB , I couldn't believe it.

I didn't think any lady could defeat most men in such a grueling event ..
Nothing special about her outward , visual strength .     More a stylish feminine type ,   BUT her strength & endurance , blew me away.
Her Boyfriend ( one of the favourites for the events ), fell at an earlier hurdle.
Ace it up Macca !
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 10:16pm
Don't take drugs kids
EAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>