Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Masks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:31am
This second lady is a bit scary. And funny.

My partner works in medical reception and the girls at her desk have all had to deal with a lunatic mother who keeps calling and abusing them that she and her son (who she is making the appointment for) will NOT be wearing a mask to the appointment because... they are both Autistic! That's what happens when a victim culture is encouraged.

Strikes me as a bit ironic that we're all supposed to care about people suffering  from mental illness these days... until we're supposed to mock it? We even invent new words like "doing a Karen" to exclude and vilify them. I wouldn't be surprised if the original Karen suicides. Funny old world we're living in.

max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:12am
Most people have little tolerance for ratbags, because they tend to be dangerous people. There is no virtue in being tolerant, for tolerance's sake. As a practical matter, we can tolerate the harmless, not the potentially harmful.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:38am
I agree MM but the mental health thing is an interesting side note. Eg according to the law people with a disability, including an " invisible one" such as a mental condition that could be stirred up by mask wearing, are exceptions to the rule. It's a bit murky as to whether private businesses need to allow  those exceptions, because it would come down to contract law, I'm guessing - is the customer aware of the rules and is the store aware of the customer's condition. The customer doesn't even need proof - they just have to say it.

Neither of the Bunnings rebels said anything about a mental health condition, but the latest one would presumably have a long history of it! Could she accept a fine and then contest it later? Or would she have had to inform the store of her "disability"?

You could probably say the same for 90% of the BLM protestors! Tongue
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:42am
Autism is a listed condition.    
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:44am
The matter of being compelled to wear masks in public places, is distinct from people thinking they can enter a store as a matter of right, the right to enter such premises can be withdrawn at any time, by store management, provided it does not contravene anti-discriminations laws. That does not apply to these masks. My first thought about that ratbag woman, was that she would be known to the mental health system.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:49am
Yes but I'm guessing (not sure) that disability might be grounds for discrimination? And yes, macca, Autism would be included in that. So if someone informs the private business before entering...? It's a bit murky isn't it?
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:55am
The p1ssweak Victorian laws on mask exemptions are an open invitation to Karens.

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:55am
You can hardly accuse a storekeeper of discriminating against you on the basis of autism, and I'm not aware of any law that covers such discrimination anyway, when they don't know you, but are prepared to let you in if you wear a mask. So it is clear what the discrimination is about, the mask only.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 12:01pm
There has to be a line drawn somewhere between ratbags pushing the system, and people with genuine problems.
But the way our legal system seems to work now, they only have to plead they were drunk, or on drugs, and so were impaired when they ran amok and killed someone, and they get let off with a slap on the wrist.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 12:04pm
"You do not need a medical certificate stating that you have a lawful reason for not wearing a mask. If you have a lawful reason for not wearing a mask you do not need to apply for an exemption or permit."Wacko

Simon Cameron

Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:20pm
Is Bunnings Private Property?

ALL my posts are written as Sci-Fi, no different to an Orson Welles and should not be taken literally. Sci-fi is a genre of Fiction.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

Do you have any other silly questions ? Of course it is private property.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:26pm
Private Property: property owned by private parties - essentially anyone or anything other than the government.

I think redemption thinks that if something is owned by a public company that makes their assets public property.LOL

Simon Cameron

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:29pm
No shoes, no service

No singlets

No caps

etc, etc

It's not like it's new to deny entry to someone for wearing/not wearing something
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

Do you have any other silly questions ? Of course it is private property.

So thousands of people are trespassing around the nation, into Bunnings, every single day.

Got it.

Cheers
ALL my posts are written as Sci-Fi, no different to an Orson Welles and should not be taken literally. Sci-fi is a genre of Fiction.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:34pm
A hawker has the right to come to your door, they have no right to stay on your property once told to leave. Only then is it trespass, if they refuse.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:43pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

No shoes, no service

No singlets

No caps

etc, etc

It's not like it's new to deny entry to someone for wearing/not wearing something
Quite right.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 1:52pm
Heavy police presence at the Domain in Sydney, to shut down a BLM (Bullsh*t Loves Misery) rally. About time !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:12pm

A hawker has the right to come to your door, they have no right to stay on your property once told to leave. Only then is it trespass, if they refuse.

All good, one problem, the lady is not required by Law to wear a mask.
It says on the Vic Gov website.
Its illegal for ANY business to deny entry for no mask, if she felt she had a lawful reason to not wear a mask.
Putting aside her antics, as there are genuine people that cant wear masks for many health reasons, Bunnings telling her to leave, broke the law.

It was Discrimination. Plain and simple fact.

Just to let you know, a store "Policy", is LOWER than the Law.

Its like returning an item, and a store says we cant refund you, our store policy says so.
By law, they have to refund you.

Bunnings is NOT above the law.

That lady knew her rights, as its on the Vic Gov website, and she will sue, maybe as an opportunistic idiot, and a very annoying one at that, as she essentially bullied staff, so Bunnings can countersue.
However, she will indeed sue, and she will win, simply because she was within her lawful rights to not wear a mask, if she states for health reasons in Court.

She just has to say "Claustrophobia".
Case closed, she wins.
She will also probably go after media, for major defamation.
I dont think she will stop with this.

Defamation will be on her list too, against the media, who have wrongfully accused her of breaking the law, when she most certainly did not according to the Vic Gov website.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:34pm
They won't let you into a night club wearing thongs, Bunnings are quite within their rights to deny entry to people they consider inappropriately attired.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 4:13pm
Red, I'm pretty sure she'd have to inform them of her "disability" before entering. They'd also have to show that they had clear signs up or people at the entrance telling her the "dress code." It's a form of "contract."
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 4:17pm
I can't imagine too many "disabilities" would qualify you, if a mask is causing an autistic to chuck a wobbly, they are likely not safe to be loose among the public, without a mask.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 4:37pm
Heart failure?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 6:03pm
I think a retailer can choose who they serve , within reason...

When my family had the small Grocery outlets, we wouldn't sell Metho to the Vagrants and the fact we were a " Food Stamps ( Dole ) outlet , we were only allowed to sell them foodstuffs ( No Cigarettes etc . )
That was 1960 t0 1965-----
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 6:16pm
Customers are "always right" of course. I saw a bloke throw a tantrum at a bookies payout queue one time, about the 5c he had been shorted in the div for his $2 EW. Much to the amusement of all who witnessed it. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 6:19pm

Shopping and retail

Can I refuse someone access to my premises if they are not wearing a face covering?

Yes. You can ask someone not to enter your premises if they are not wearing a face covering unless they have a lawful reason not to wear a face covering.

Can I be refused entry or service if I am not wearing a face covering?

Yes, unless you have a lawful exception for not wearing a face covering. For their own and other customer’s safety, a business owner or worker can ask you not to enter until you wear a face covering such as a mask.

Can someone ask me to remove my face covering to check my ID?

Banks, police, post offices and other services can ask that you remove your face covering to check your identity.

When purchasing alcohol or tobacco you may be asked by staff to remove your face covering as part of checking your ID.

Will business owners be fined if customers refuse to wear face coverings?

A business owner will not be fined if a customer refuses to wear a face covering without a lawful excuse. The penalty would be applied to the customer.

As a business owner, if a staff member or customer refuses to wear a face covering will I be fined?

Responsibility for wearing a face covering rests with the individual. Individuals who do not wear a face covering and do not have a lawful reason can be fined $200. A business owner will not be fined if a customer refuses to wear a face covering.

An employer must take reasonable steps to ensure an employee that is working at the employer’s premises wears a face covering at all times when working at the employer’s premises, unless a lawful exception applies.

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/face-coverings-covid-19#can-i-refuse-someone-access-to-my-premises-if-they-are-not-wearing-a-face-covering

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 6:32pm

Customers are "always right" of course. I saw a bloke throw a tantrum at a bookies payout queue one time, about the 5c he had been shorted in the div for his $2 EW. Much to the amusement of all who witnessed it. 

Balls, it was 10 cents.  Angry

Which was what I needed in order to have 50 cents the win on a lucky last race throw of the dice in a failed attempt to get out of the shyte.  Embarrassed

ps it'll be masks in regional Bendigo soon, as the nearby Castlemaine abattoir has just returned some positives.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:09pm
Here you go:
I bet the psychic chick will claim to have autism, claustrophobia, PTSD etc.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:27pm
Why a psychic chick as opposed to a psycho bloke?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>