Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Margaret Court

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 7:48am
I’d suggest sweet F A, Bob 
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 7:54am
What has Margaret Court done between 2007 and her AO and now to warrant an upgrade?
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 7:56am
She’s been a leader 
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 7:57am
More than "doing his job", BB ? Well, the consensus appears to be he did the job better than the vast majority, but I guess if you are a Tony Abbott fan, he would not to be to your liking, as he expressed relief at his political demise, as we all should, at a complete embarrassment.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:01am
So he’s a left  wing political talking head?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:10am
I think we can give him more respect that that, shrunk, and the mere fact he was selected for an award, by an organization that saw fit to further elevate Margaret Court for some inexplicable reason, suggests even conservatives show (perhaps) grudging admiration. I just found him an interesting social commentator with less of a stereotyped outlook than most.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:24am
And Rupert gets a gong for contributions to democracy.Clap
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:32am
O'Brien is right to decline, the awards are a farce.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:40am
Just ran an eye over the hundreds of recipients  of gongs I noted the following

A.Many were deceased

B.Many received their award for service to the Jewish community. Now I am not anti semantic, but I did not see that many who were recognised for the work or service in the Catholic , Methodist , Pentecostal etc  communities given so many awards.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:40am
Max, yes they are a farce.

I have 2 recipients in my family. One incredibly deserving, the other, good on him but he did nothing to earn it.

Like most of them, 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:46am
I haven't looked Bob but I did read a few comments remarking on the number of Liberal politicians getting gongs for doing their day job. Again, I have no intention of scrutinizing the list but that was said.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Just ran an eye over the hundreds of recipients  of gongs I noted the following

A.Many were deceased

B.Many received their award for service to the Jewish community. Now I am not anti *****semantic, but I did not see that many who were recognised for the work or service in the Catholic , Methodist , Pentecostal etc  communities given so many awards.

Anti Semitic , not anti semantic
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:53am
These awards are becoming a joke.  
I thought they got them for some sort of usefull service to community,  like Shane Fitzsimmons for instance.
Not for just going to work and doing your job .
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

What has Margaret Court done between 2007 and her AO and now to warrant an upgrade?

But you did scrutinise the list, didn’t youWink

Have you worked out  why yet or are you just opposing for the sake of your clear religious discriminations
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:57am
Well, what has she done ?  Except divide people with her picked out bible quotes ?
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:57am
What has whether I looked at the list got to do with what she has done over the last 17 years to earn an upgrade?Confused

You cast very wide and low for a troll Shrunk. Need to work on it a bit.LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:01am
Too scared to take a look, pt?
It might result in you changing your preordained stance, we can’t have it.
I5 would ruin your low grade trolling
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:03am
According to her citation, Smith got her extra gong as” a mentor of young sportspersons and her eminent service to tennis”.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:05am
All young sportspersons?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:11am
Yes
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:13am

All young sportspersons?
Living in Perth I think it might be a little difficult for Smith to mentor a young swimmer living in Townsville, maybe she was able to do so for a young swimmer in Perth. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:15am
These awards need renovation. It is an insult to the nation to be upgrading awards for geriatrics whose public service is long past, and they have already been recognized previously, the nomination process must be a crock. A few years back I had the idea of putting forward the name of a friend whose charity work was worth millions, and all done gratis, but I decided to ask him first. He said he would prefer I did not nominate him, as he did not want any awards. I wonder how many follow that path, I would have thought Kerry O'Brien should have known in advance, and quietly declined as soon as the Court second award was given.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:15am
Bob, PT won’t have that.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:17am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

These awards need renovation. It is an insult to the nation to be upgrading awards for geriatrics whose public service is long past, and they have already been recognized previously, the nomination process must be a crock. A few years back I had the idea of putting forward the name of a friend whose charity work was worth millions, and all done gratis, but I decided to ask him first. He said he would prefer I did not nominate him, as he did not want any awards. I wonder how many follow that path, I would have thought Kerry O'Brien should have known in advance, and quietly declined as soon as the Court second award was given.

We need a new gong for the likes of Kerry, the cross dressing doctor and the usual haters in the TBV.
A bronze megaphone seems appropriate LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:18am

All young sportspersons?
Living in Perth I think it might be a little difficult for Smith to mentor a young swimmer living in Townsville, maybe she was able to do so for a young swimmer in Perth. 

I mean would she mentor a young self identified gay kiddie, or would she start talking in tongues to them?

If you haven't seen her doing that, it is worth a look for a laugh
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:21am

All young sportspersons?

I mean would she mentor a young self identified gay kiddie, or would she start talking in tongues to them?

Do you know the answer to that?

Oh, that’s right, you don’t give a gelati, you’ll just make it up from your bed in Byron 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:24am
Shrunk doesn't know what a question mark is either. LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:30am
Your Hiding again PT

Own what you say
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Max, yes they are a farce.

I have 2 recipients in my family. One incredibly deserving, the other, good on him but he did nothing to earn it.

Like most of them, 

I hope you keep them both in the dark about which one is which
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:38am
Virtue is its own reward, as the saying goes, I incline to the view that the truly virtuous would not accept such awards, and maybe that is why the choices appear strange. Trump, I am sure, would have declined a Nobel prize out of modesty (just joking, but I wonder how many have declined). Maybe they don't get the chance, in advance of the announcement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>