Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Let's get healthy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 28293031>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 11:48am
Oh, OK, now I know what you mean. Thumbs Up May as well just keep smoking as suck on those things.
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 11:59am
Try the stronger 4mg Nicorette chewing gum and it works.

Pretend "smoke" the end of a pen to be going through the smokers routine in early days ,   keeps the hand habits satisfied .

3 in my family stopped after many years of smoking . 1 has been clean 3 years and 2 for 8 months.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 12:23pm
I never guessed I'd live to see smoking become a poverty trap, but that is what it is, on top of all its other demerits.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 3:12pm
They can stop anything if they want to.     Smoking has few at it now , down in numbers big time .

Try the old Customs one for illegal drugs >>>>   Confiscate anything that aids or used for Drug crime ...   Their sales were huge =   Cars , Boats , Houses etc.        . > School Kids , deny licence eligibility age for 2-5 years.
Re introduce the Summary offences act .   Inebriates act ..
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 3:18pm
1 in 7 adults smoke.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 3:25pm
I remember an old sheila telling me decades ago, that if you were meant to smoke, you'd have a chimney coming out of your head. Seemed like sound logic.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 4:44pm
That would be right Max 14% .. well down on some years ago.    

Least smoking Countries are about 10%.   Highest 40/48%.

Cigarettes in Japan are up to $5 AU.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 5:08pm
It's a pity we can't enjoy a smoke, nicotine is a strange substance, the only one known, that relieves tension, without affecting performance of tasks. Others make you drowsy, etc.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 10:22pm
Read vapes are dangerous, why not patches or similar?
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:11pm
Appears we're largely self isolating atm.  Just a grand total of four on line.  Shocked
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 6:26pm
Missing BB ?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 11:54am

The hidden power of fasting

Why did our ancestors fast on a regular basis?

If you think about it, every major religion — from Christianity to Buddhism to Hinduism (to name a few) — holds the practice of fasting to be sacred and necessary.

Is it just a way of showing reverence to the almighty or is there more to it than that?

When we look beyond the religious texts, it becomes clear that this customary practice is not only good for our spirit, but is also highly beneficial for our health and longevity.

Fasting is an innate human behavior.

For our distant ancestors, 3 square meals a day were not always guaranteed. In many cases, the waking hours were spent hunting, gathering and trekking through the wilderness. There was often only one large meal eaten when food was available and the circumstances were safe.

7,000 years ago may seem like forever, but it’s a mere blink in time when it comes to the evolution of our human form. Is it possible that we’re more suited to these ancient eating habits than our usual routine of breakfast, lunch and dinner – with snacks and caffeine in between?

I’m starting to believe the answer is YES.

Fasting may seem like a tough thing to do, but believe it or not, we all fast every day (well, every night actually). The word breakfast literally means to “break” or “end” a fast. That period of 8 to 12 hours between dinner and your morning meal is a mini example of this primordial practice.

What is actually occurring in your body when you fast?

When you temporarily cut back on your intake of food, your body runs out of carbohydrates to use for energy and begins to burn the fat stored inside of you instead. This process is called ketosis – a new buzz word in the world of fad diets.

Beyond the obvious weight loss effects of this practice, there is a growing body of evidence that points to the power of ketosis to heal your body on a cellular level.

Recent studies have shown promising evidence that ketosis (and a ketogenic diet) has a healing effect on diseases such as cancer, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, type 2 diabetes and heart disease (to name some of the big ones).

It’s also been shown to enhance brain function, including memory, clarity, focus, and the ability to handle stress and anxiety.

How to pick a fast that is right for you.

A disclaimer – I write this with a keen awareness that eating disorders have become a serious concern in the modern world. I propose this eating ritual as a temporary experiment to be approached with mindfulness and a degree of caution.

A fast can be as long or as short as you want to be, but the idea is to abstain from eating specific foods OR any food at all for a set period of time. This is often done for religious reasons, but I am about to suggest that you try it for your own physical, mental and spiritual wellness.

The holy men of old fasted to free themselves of distraction so that they could focus on prayer and connection to a higher power. In a way, that’s what I’m getting at here as well.

In addition to the scientifically proven health benefits of fasting, the act of simply noticing what it feels like to be hungry, then sitting with that sensation and ultimately making peace with it is one of the most powerful spiritual practices I know of. Often times those initial pangs of hunger are phantom sensations, disguising some other wound-based inner pattern that is waiting to be acknowledged and healed.

A sacred challenge for you this month – a two day fast. Now, I’m not asking you to stop eating for two days straight, but to create a consciously altered meal plan that eliminates one meal (or more) on both days.

As always, I will be in the trenches with you. In fact, I’ve been on an intermittent fast for the past two weeks. No breakfast, just my morning tea – then a big lunch after 12pm and a normal dinner at night. This is a great way to enter a state of ketosis and also piggy back on the 10 hours of fasting you have been doing throughout the last evening and early morning hours.

The act of fasting will help you quiet your mind so that your soul can speak more clearly to you. It’ll also awaken and begin to tone your body, giving you more natural energy, flexibility and overall lightness of being.

As usual, it appears our ancestors knew what they were doing – both spiritually and scientifically speaking. It’s time for us to remember who we are and where we came from.

Good luck and I’d love to hear how it goes!

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 7:32pm
Well !!  No fasting here .  Just stuffing ourselves silly .LOL
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 7:48pm
 I rarely eat before ten in the morning, simply because I'm not hungry until then.  We eat our biggest meal mid-day, then have something light for dinner. 

I think fasting is bad for the brain. Only good for weight maintenance.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

I rarely eat before ten in the morning, simply because I'm not hungry until then.  We eat our biggest meal mid-day, then have something light for dinner. 

I think fasting is bad for the brain. Only good for weight maintenance.

I tried the fasting thing a few years ago. Messed with the blood pressure and had a couple of episodes where I kind of semi-fainted if that makes sense. Stumbled over a couple of times. Lucky it didn’t occur anywhere that I could have hit anything. 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 7:52am
I guess I qualify as fasting daily as I very rarely feel the need/want to eat before about 2pm, probably for at least the last 20 years Big smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 7:59am
I intermittent fast 20 hours a day, only eating at 12 midday and 4PM. I have a bone broth for breakfast though. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 8:08am
Not sure about the negative connotation in this thread heading. Whale is not fussed about it either apparently

Suggest we change it to :

'Lets Get Healthier'  Thumbs Up
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

I intermittent fast 20 hours a day, only eating at 12 midday and 4PM. I have a bone broth for breakfast though. 
Gee that sounds appetising PT
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 8:12am
Think I might pass on the dinner invitation if its ok by you
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 9:30am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Gee that sounds appetising PT

When you only eat fat and meat you dont feel hungry.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 9:42am
You wouldn't want too eating bone broth.

Seriously PT - I assume you can still let your hair done on occasions. I mean maybe your health does not allow it - not sure. 

Just doesn't sound all that enticing to me
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 11:05am

We do something similar PT, 10am Breakfast and 6pm dinner, then nothing, mostly good fats and veges, salad etc, butter avo's all those good fats and as you say no hunger.

The body has time to digest and repair when you are fasting for the rest of the time.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 11:17am
It is catching on quickly GAJ. When I started doing Keto and Carnivore about 10 years ago it was frowned upon as being self destructive. I was very sick and took it up as a nothing to lose thing. After 2 years my endo/cardiologist said what ever you are doing keep it up you have added 30 years to your life. When I finally told him it was carnivore he was horrified. Now becoming mainstream 
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 3:03pm
Yes Most Doctors have not studied or delved into diet alternatives as they are taught the old fashioned food pyramid so understand he would be horrified!

I used to follow fit for life but find this much better, not getting hungry at all, still try to practice good food combining all the same.

You can have a look on a site called absoulutely wholesale (yes that's the spelling!)
They sell the powdered bone broths by the kilo bag. It works out a good price, the down side is you have to spend about $350.00 in a transaction as they are a wholesaler, you can get it sent out with fastway which is pretty cheap for the northern rivers.
We make our own bread, so buy bulk products from them often, even whole linseed for the horses to grind fresh. They have a good range of organic products.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 3:19pm

It is catching on quickly GAJ. When I started doing Keto and Carnivore about 10 years ago it was frowned upon as being self destructive. I was very sick and took it up as a nothing to lose thing. After 2 years my endo/cardiologist said what ever you are doing keep it up you have added 30 years to your life. When I finally told him it was carnivore he was horrified. Now becoming mainstream 

Geez I'll be fine then. Been a carnivore since birth. Ever since dad used to give me a small cut-off of steak/ lamb as a little kid. I've lived on mainly meat and milk my whole life, while smoking, drinking etc, and every time I go to the doctor my cholesterol, liver function, blood count etc is above average. Who knew eating meat and drinking milk might be healthy?

The other explanation is that we're all different and genetics/ medical history has a lot more to do with it than the latest science.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by GAJ GAJ wrote:

Yes Most Doctors have not studied or delved into diet alternatives as they are taught the old fashioned food pyramid so understand he would be horrified!

I used to follow fit for life but find this much better, not getting hungry at all, still try to practice good food combining all the same.

You can have a look on a site called absoulutely wholesale (yes that's the spelling!)
They sell the powdered bone broths by the kilo bag. It works out a good price, the down side is you have to spend about $350.00 in a transaction as they are a wholesaler, you can get it sent out with fastway which is pretty cheap for the northern rivers.
We make our own bread, so buy bulk products from them often, even whole linseed for the horses to grind fresh. They have a good range of organic products.

Thanks GAJ. I just make my own. A kilo of marrow bones from Coles for 7 cook for 2 hours in the slow cooker.

I am on meat and butter diet(80% fat 20% protein 0%carbs) at the moment for a month as a ''detox'' Just eat 800g of meat and 100g of butter a day with bone broth the only cheat. Another week to go of this and revert to Keto(10% carbs and about 65% fat) adding in eggs avocado bacon and some green vegetables.

That FDA food pyramid was recently redone, virtually turning it upside down.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 5:18pm
Holy crap I'm living to be 200!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 5:25pm
Sorry, bones $7, cook for 24 hours. Need a new keyboard.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 7:46am
Wish it worked that way with dogs.  They love there marrow bones but they have such a short life span.  I've got two old timers here at the moment - minding another daughters eleven year old dog - and they are both into their last few years it that.  Really don't want to lose another too soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 28293031>