Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Let's get healthy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:39pm
oh yuk no !  what is that stuff ??  
animals before people.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:40pm
Had a few South Melbourne market fried dim sims today. Outstanding. Now at gym and will eat loads of steamed veggies for dinner. To me, it really is that simple. Its all balance.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

LOL

you make me laugh, AA...

cucumber, salmon and caviar...refreshing and hardly a calorie in sight...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:57pm

2nd course...chicken stir-fry...

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:01pm
nice food and I have already seen your deserts.

when can i come around ?

hate to think what AA eats if she thinks smoked salmon is weird Confused
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:01pm
 making me really hungry...

dessert...

Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:10pm
i've never once in my life thought - i won't eat that as it has too many
calories or is too fattening...i don't know if i could put on weight, get chubby, if i tried.
+ I think ti's fair to say i'm a big eater. everyone is different..metabolism etc.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

when can i come around ?

country gal...likes country food...

you can come anytime you want...we eat at the local Japanese...Big smile

your treat...

SYT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by dishyisback dishyisback wrote:

Someone mentioned we should have a weight loss topic, not a bad idea, but why just weight loss, how about any health goals we have? Can ask for advice, encouragement etc. 

I'll kick it off, I want to get to 100kg by the start of the AFL season, so about the start of April. Only about 13 weeks away so would need to go just over 1kg a week (I'm about 115 now), probably a big ask, but hopefully I get close.

Just went to the pool for a session, had planned to do somewhere between 1000-1200, hit the wall at 800, was short of a run thats for sure! But least I got there and did it. Plan to have a 20 min run this afternoon followed by 10 mins of interval boxing. 

Planned to take an extended break from alcohol in new year, but have decided to start that early, New Years isn't a big night for me anymore anyway, will just spend it with the kids so I won't miss a beer or two. Going to try stay of it until round one of the AFL, Lions v Pies at The Gabba, might let my hair down that night if I've reached my goal...

If you want to boost your metabolism and promote fat loss introduce HIIT (high intensity interval training) into your workout.

Something as simple as:

Sprint 2 minutes / Rest (walk) 4 minutes

Repeat x5 = 30 minutes workout
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:26pm
You are better off losing weight with calorie reduction and resetting your normal food intake, than heavy exercise. It is more sustainable longer term
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Had a few South Melbourne market fried dim sims today. Outstanding. Now at gym and will eat loads of steamed veggies for dinner. To me, it really is that simple. Its all balance.

Way back in the 70's we four flatmates (1 girl, 3 blokes but no fraternisation thank you) always shopped at the South Melbourne market.  Well remember we could regularly purchase an entire side of lamb for $3.50 and actually go out back and choose it ourselves.  And all the vegies for a week cost even less.

Which meant we had money left over to spend at the Hydehurst Hotel at the end of the street.  We once put a leg of lamb in the oven and went down the corner for a couple, and on our tardy return a thick black spiral of smoke was emanating from our digs: little left of the leg but charcoal and thankfully no serious damage apart from a blackened ceiling.  But suspect I'm testing your patience with these reminiscences.

In any event the market was a terrific place then and hope it still is.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:37pm
Unfortunately heavy exercise is out of the question for some of us 1/2 crippled mere mortals Disapprove
Reminded me JJ, onto the shopping list goes brown bread, S. salmon & black lumpfish, already have the lemon juice & black pepper Wink
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

You are better off losing weight with calorie reduction and resetting your normal food intake, than heavy exercise. It is more sustainable longer term

Absolutely BD, especially post 55-60 yrs of age.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:59pm
I think people use age as an excuse, it is amazing what you can do with determination.

warm up, intense effort for 30 seconds, take it easy for 2 minutes, then repeat.

5 intense efforts should be enough, and intense effort is different for different levels, as long as those efforts are at least 90% of capacity
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

when can i come around ?

country gal...likes country food...

you can come anytime you want...we eat at the local Japanese...Big smile

your treat...

that doesn't make sense, country girl would be eating rabbit stew with potato's, not Japanese..??

Panspermia.
Ecair Issoire View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecair Issoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:16pm
she's referring to AA being the country girl, not herself (jujuno)..
+ to herself as liking japanese food.
dishyisback View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishyisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by SYT SYT wrote:

Originally posted by dishyisback dishyisback wrote:

Someone mentioned we should have a weight loss topic, not a bad idea, but why just weight loss, how about any health goals we have? Can ask for advice, encouragement etc. 

I'll kick it off, I want to get to 100kg by the start of the AFL season, so about the start of April. Only about 13 weeks away so would need to go just over 1kg a week (I'm about 115 now), probably a big ask, but hopefully I get close.

Just went to the pool for a session, had planned to do somewhere between 1000-1200, hit the wall at 800, was short of a run thats for sure! But least I got there and did it. Plan to have a 20 min run this afternoon followed by 10 mins of interval boxing. 

Planned to take an extended break from alcohol in new year, but have decided to start that early, New Years isn't a big night for me anymore anyway, will just spend it with the kids so I won't miss a beer or two. Going to try stay of it until round one of the AFL, Lions v Pies at The Gabba, might let my hair down that night if I've reached my goal...

If you want to boost your metabolism and promote fat loss introduce HIIT (high intensity interval training) into your workout.

Something as simple as:

Sprint 2 minutes / Rest (walk) 4 minutes

Repeat x5 = 30 minutes workout

Yep I do this with boxing and beach sprints as well as in the pool...actually 25m Sprint and then rest until one minute ticks over probably kills me the most
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

ahh so she does..silly me..Embarrassed
Panspermia.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:28pm
I prefer to think of Whale as a fat, lazy bloke and no intelligent comments from him in this thread will dissuade me from this belief....
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

ta muchly, EI...poor Fiddles... getting confused in his old age...LOL

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 7:45pm

I think people use age as an excuse, it is amazing what you can do with determination.

warm up, intense effort for 30 seconds, take it easy for 2 minutes, then repeat.

5 intense efforts should be enough, and intense effort is different for different levels, as long as those efforts are at least 90% of capacity

totally right...

you don't have to go for long periods of hard exercise...all long-distance running does is ruin the cartilage in your knees...

short, sharp exercise, always works best...referees get fit doing it...and definitely don't disregard the warm-up...I once blew my rib-cage, rushing onto the tee at golf without warming-up... still hurts when a storm looms...(like now..)

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

I prefer to think of Whale as a fat, lazy bloke and no intelligent comments from him in this thread will dissuade me from this belief....

Shocked
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 8:02pm

LOL

you make me laugh, AA...

i love cucumber .  i peel them and eat the whole one for a snack.  dont mind salmon if its grilled on the barbie.  but caviar ?  no thanks !
not much of a fish person really.  salmon is OK and tinned tuna not too bad, but much prefer a big juicy  T Bone Big smile
animals before people.
whitt0 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitt0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 9:45pm

LOL

you make me laugh, AA...

i love cucumber .  i peel them and eat the whole one for a snack.  dont mind salmon if its grilled on the barbie.  but caviar ?  no thanks !
not much of a fish person really.  salmon is OK and tinned tuna not too bad, but much prefer a big juicy  T Bone Big smile
Organic?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 9:53pm
How on earth do you peel a cucumber..???

Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 10:01pm
Dont start .

The same was as you peel a potato .
animals before people.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 10:25pm
Lots of goodness in the skin, AA.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 10:35pm
But it tastes so nasty !   neighbour grows the lebanese cucumbers and gives them to me, and they are really nice, but cant go the skin .
WhittO,  i will take steak any way i can get it ! LOL  i do use only certified free range eggs tho.
animals before people.
LR80 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LR80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 11:14pm

Originally posted by LR80 LR80 wrote:

I would go for a 1 hour morning walk first thing in the morning. Then monitor your calories and start calculating everything. Make sure you have a calorie deficit of 500 based on your age and current weight. Drink plenty of water to ensure you aren't carrying any "water weight". Water also supresses your appetite. Cut down on sugars and if you have them make sure its in the morning. Cut out alcohol and if you have sodas make sure its diet variety.

If you follow that method you should be dropping 2kgs a week at a minimum.

generally this is sound advice...however diet drinks lure people into drinking more...and there ARE calories in them...

my husband was very heavy until I had him stop drinking diet coke, replacing it with water in Summer and tea in Winter...also put a ban on those dreaded potato crisps, which are addictive and very fattening ...

I cut his sugar and starch to minimal levels, stepped up water and tea (a natural diuretic) ..then we would go and play golf for four hours in 30 degree weather...pulling buggies...stripped the pounds off...he lost twenty kilos doing it...(then I got pregnant and HE ate for two..put it all back on..Angry)

my philosophy has always been: if you cheat and eat, you move the feet...in other words, earn the right to have an indulgence by extra exercise...any exercise...

swimming won't actually cause you to lose weight...(it actually triggers hunger and because you are not building body temperature in cold water, it doesn't burn a lot of calories)...but swimming is a great aerobic exercise, arm-muscle toner and mental refresher...so the more you do, the better you feel...

the question always is: do you need all that extra food or are your taste buds overriding common sense...?

Pig

So are you claiming diet coke has >10 calories?

Are you from the school which asserts that celery has negative calories?

Geraldo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

How on earth do you peel a cucumber..???

Lengthwise.

You can peel alternate strips around the outside, so that it then looks fancy when you subsequently slice it.  
TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>