Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Tributes Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

John McNair.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 2:03pm
Cannot wait Nathan
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 2:19pm
Whens the Patinak? is that the old Salinger?
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 2:20pm
Emirates day , the Salinger is derby day now a group two
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 2:36pm
OK cool,
the salinger will be competitive on Derby Day as few runners would be nominated as they're trying avoid BC & HL. 

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 3:29pm
, Nathan, if you're ever in Sydney, pm me and I'll introduce you to John McNair. The man is a gentleman. He has never smirked in his life. He is a horse-lover and worries about them as though they are his children. 

While Hay List has been in Melbourne (Geelong, actually) John has not left his side...but last week when old Mustard was running at Randwick his wife Sue and I had a non-stop three hour phone link going with John to keep him up to the minute on everything Mustard was doing/behaving...and his concern for the old boy was as intense as his concern for Hay List.

Hay List could not have gone to a better trainer. The horse has extreme hoof problems...they are like thin shells...sometimes it's almost impossible to shoe him....and a horseman like John McNair has the patience to get that right before putting the horse into hard work. And being the size he is he needs plenty of work.  The Davenports are so impressed with John's results they have handed him Hay List's full sister Golden Statue to train as well. She suffers the same hoof problem.

To make rash comments about someone is puerile. I know you are a genuine guy, Nath, even for a St Kilda supporter, Wink ,so I think you just read that interview wrong. John has the utmost respect for Black Caviar and can't wait for their clash. He even admitted that last run of BC made him worry a bit. But he also knows Hay List's incredible ability to just eat up opponents. The horse is a freak. John is not.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 10:55am
Star I'm sorry a lot of posters on here don't know John McNair and have the pleasure of his good humour.

His interview with Bensley this morning was typical of John. He said he had three options with Hay List. (v Black Caviar), having run into a once in 50/60 yrs freak.

1. Be prepared to accept second prizemoney in well-paying races, with the hope that handicaps, reverse running or just pure luck could go in his favour.

2. Go to Singapore or Honkers and avoid her altogether.

3. Just be patient and outlast her. She may have only one more year before going to stud and Hay List can go on as long as he's fit. If Mustard can go on till 14 then Hay List should have a few more years in him. 

When they went to Melbourne, Mick, his strapper, rode in the float with Hay List. After the race on Saturday Mick had to fly home to get to his daughter's birthday on the Sunday. So on Monday when they set off home John packed masses of extra straw in the float to make up for Mick's absence. (Mick is a big boy). When they got home every bit of straw was eaten. So the big boy was even bigger.

footnote: Mick forgot that his car was left at John's Somersby property when they left Sydney. On Saturday night a message came thru via my facebook site: 'Am tired, on the train to the central coast and just realised I have no way of getting to John's place at 11.45pm. Will have to walk up Dog Trap Rd in the dark."  This is a long, dark ,dangerous road. Started to worry until all over the site came messages from other mates saying they would get out of bed and rescue him. So Mick made it home after a very long day.

footnote 2; Typical John.(and Sue).... Mustard's Perth owner had his 60th birthday about a month ago. John spent ages collecting archives, videos, interviews with every jockey who ever rode the old boy and made it into a special presentation as a birthday present. Wish I had a copy. 

Never met a nicer bloke in racing. His mother told him not to get emotionally involved with the horses he trains. John disobeyed his mum. Glad he did. Certain other well-known trainers should follow suit. 

Clap Star

The Stallion View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stallion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 12:32pm
Nice read. Loved the part how Hay List ate every bit of straw :).. What is his stable name at McNairs anyway?
That's the smell of victory, you can't wash that out.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:14pm
i think i heard him referred to as Grandad , would that be right ?
( Mustard, not John ! ).
and yes, some other trainers could do with some lessons on how to look after their horses, from John.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:16pm
oh sorry, stallion.  you meant Hay List, but i was thinking of the old fella !!Embarrassed 
animals before people.
carche View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:21pm
Many thanks jujuno.  A highly entertaining and enlightning read.  I somehow missed the 27 Oct post, so thanks for that too Thumbs Up

Glad to hear that even though Black Caviar may have broken Hay List's heart, it didn't affect his appetite LOL

Hope you don't mind me asking but what exactly is your connection to McNair?  Sounds as though you have a close affiliation with him.

Gotta feel for McNair.  I have a huge amount of respect for Hay List but when faced with a freak like Black Caviar, what are your options?  Nice to see it hasn't affected his sense of humour.  Any chance he'd be sizing up Royal Ascot as a possibity for Hay List?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:45pm
 Hay List's nickname is Sooky for obvious reasons...I call him Gaily for obvious reasons...

Mustard is Mussy when he's sweet, Grandad when referred to with the press, but more often "the old bugger" when he's playing up and taking chomps out of everyone. 

As for John's nickname, there's been one or two  unsavoury ones over the years but Sue and I have taken the name-callers down a few pegs in his defence. John just laughs it off. He's that sort of bloke.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by carche carche wrote:

Many thanks jujuno.  A highly entertaining and enlightning read.  I somehow missed the 27 Oct post, so thanks for that too Thumbs Up

Glad to hear that even though Black Caviar may have broken Hay List's heart, it didn't affect his appetite LOL

Hope you don't mind me asking but what exactly is your connection to McNair?  Sounds as though you have a close affiliation with him.

Gotta feel for McNair.  I have a huge amount of respect for Hay List but when faced with a freak like Black Caviar, what are your options?  Nice to see it hasn't affected his sense of humour.  Any chance he'd be sizing up Royal Ascot as a possibity for Hay List?

Met John and Sue several years ago. I was always at the stalls chatting to Gai or her offsiders and my daughter was besotted with Mustard. His stall is always next to Gai's lot at R'wick. Got talking to the McNairs.  We just fell into a friendship.

Now on Mussy's racedays I do odd jobs for them or the strappers because Mussy won't be stabled and has to have someone continually walking him. The strappers need replenishing. I have become as besotted as my daughter was. The horse is such a character. I always get a nice soggy  nuzzle from the old bugger. (Mustard, not John) If the stable has runners on  mid-weekers at Randwick I will watch the races with John (or Greg)  because Sue prefers to go to bingo. John and I have had a four-year argument going whether Mustard is better over 1200 or 1400. John conceded to me last week...about bloody time. He will only run 1200m from now on.

I take stable photos and video gallops.

Several of the strappers are facebook friends, especially Mick. So I get info sent to me when I can't be there. 

Went to Melbourne when Hay List ran the McEwan. Met the Davenports. Liked Liz. Terry is a bit vague, especially with jokes. 

You are welcome to visit my facebook page and see funny photos of Hay List's legs or Mussy plus another group of photos of my special horses at Gai's. 

link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?profile=1&id=100000519342496

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 5:17pm
 Go to Julie Ashworth on facebook if the link doesn't work.
carche View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 11:22am
Thanks for responding jujuno and for being so candid.  McNair seems the genuine article and a wonderful horseman.  I'm sure he appreciates your friendship as much as you do.

It's funny how some horses seem to work their way into our hearts when you least expect it.  All it takes sometimes is one look and you're hooked, line and sinker.  Mussy knows his onto a good thing with you Big smile

I'll make sure to check out your facebook page.  Again, many thanks.

Came across this article yesterday and it pretty much sums up what McNair said in his interview.

Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 12:13pm
Sorry to be a stick in the mud Jju.
How many drug convictions ?
What about the latest stretch when he coerced the stablehand into lying at the enquiry ?
That wouls be from the day the stipes busted him in the truck doing the deed if my memory serves me correctly, but correct me if i am wrong.
I think it was 18 months wasnt it the last stretch ?
Anyway , he is doing a good job with big Hay List so i hope he goes well for them.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Bi Carb Bi Carb wrote:

What about the latest stretch when he coerced the stablehand into lying at the enquiry ?
That wouls be from the day the stipes busted him in the truck doing the deed if my memory serves me correctly, but correct me if i am wrong.
Anyway , he is doing a good job with big Hay List so i hope he goes well for them.

so,,,BI-CARB ?? ?? you would know about drug convictions maybe ??
ahhh give 'im a break !!
what about the big stables that get away with murder ??  care to elaborate there ?? cocaine floating on air ?? and all the rest of the La La Land stuff we hear !
at least he looks after his horses after they cant run anymore.
how many others do that ??

animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 9:38am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Originally posted by Bi Carb Bi Carb wrote:

so,,,BI-CARB ?? ?? you would know about drug convictions maybe ??
ahhh give 'im a break !!
what about the big stables that get away with murder ??  care to elaborate there ?? cocaine floating on air ?? and all the rest of the La La Land stuff we hear !
at least he looks after his horses after they cant run anymore.
how many others do that ??

Not the first time I've dealt with this issue. A disgruntled punter once called John a gangster. Ten minutes later he was apologising to Sue and I after we took his argument apart.

Obviously if John was "guilty" of everything he is supposed to have done he would not have a licence. He called his stable runner 'Robbed' because he says that's what the stewards did to him.

There are several very high-profile trainers (not Gai) whom the stewards have turned a blind eye to over the years.  One very famous. Though they did rap him hard ONCE. He still cheats. No-one cares because of who he is.

John may or may not not have been a total cleanskin in the past.  I can only judge the person I know and I believe he would never deliberately harm any horse.  

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 10:27am
 But never offer him a milkshake.

he was not found "doing it". just had the equipment in the float.
correctweight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 4:26pm
Fantastic result for John Mcnair with 10yo Mindreader winning the 5th on the Kensington track. He also had Robbed in the race who finished 3rd!

Hopefully Hay List will be able to race until his 10 so he can outlast Black Caviar lol
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 4:31pm

Great trainer of aged horses. 

The mad lip-licker Mindreader, aged 10, wins with a great finish.

But you nearly undid me, John.  Robbed gave a scare for one brief moment. At last they're coming from the back at R'wick.

nice odds...ta...

BalmainTiger View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BalmainTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Great trainer of aged horses. 

The mad lip-licker Mindreader, aged 10, wins with a great finish.

But you nearly undid me, John.  Robbed gave a scare for one brief moment. At last they're coming from the back at R'wick.

nice odds...ta...

He hasn't been scratched from Wyong yet. He's not backing up today is he?
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 12:13pm
Looks like it
bs View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 6:46pm
Beaten out of sight.
He did something like this with My Vegas some time ago.
Won at Wagga on the friday, floated to Sydney to run the next day in extreme heat and ran hopeless.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by bs bs wrote:

Beaten out of sight.
He did something like this with My Vegas some time ago.
Won at Wagga on the friday, floated to Sydney to run the next day in extreme heat and ran hopeless.

Remember that. I sent a message to the stables about Robbed backing up but they'd left already and haven't heard back.

Ironically My Vegas runs tomorrow.

John must have had a rush of blood.

He was going to run Mustard in Saturday's 1600m Liverpool Leader until the old bugger's leg blew up early this week. He's now resting in the paddock. John might need to as well.
princerubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:28am
I thought he was going to keep his mouth shut? What a sook this bloke is.

Quotes attributed in this mornings paper to him.

On talking to the handicapper "...I may as well be talking to my dog."

"its only the Victorians who don't want us."

But then he says if they gave haylist half a kilo less he would run????

Now he is running haylist in the group 2 challenge stakes and not the group 1 William Reid at wfa where he would walk in or taling up the chalkenge of the newmarket like black caviar did last year when she carried 58.Very poor programming.

Blaster View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:43am
Hay List to run in Newmarket
He's Not Heavy,It's My Brother
princerubiton View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princerubiton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:45am
He's running! Well done to the owners, made macnair look an even bigger fool.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:45am

RT @AndrewBensley: Davenport family announce Hay List is running in Newmarket. John McNair has been informed and is training horse for race.

Gotta love that LOL

Lordy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:09am
All empty threats it seems.
andynr123 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andynr123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:15am
As Steve Meakes (@ourmaizcay) so eloquently pointed out on Twitter - the only person with bigger credibility issues than our federal pollies at the moment is now John McNair!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>