Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Jockey Injuries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:46am
Hopefully the copy/paste works, if not check the link to see Hughie's departure from Performer.
Lucky the jockey behind saw it unfold and was able to steer around him.

Darryl Shearer

Hugh Bowman spent the night in hospital and will be released later on Sunday morning following his dislodgement from Performer in Saturday’s Todman Stakes at Randwick.

Bowman was left airborne when Performer shifted suddenly left with 100m to go as he was attempting to mount a challenge and suffered a heavy fall.

Bowman’s agent Bryan Haskins said he was awaiting an official diagnosis.

“I spoke to Hugh last night and he said he felt ok,” Haskins said.

“He was having a couple of tests, I’m not sure if he will be officially listed as concussed so we will have to wait and see.

“Depending on what happens there I’m not sure if he will be able to ride next Saturday.”

Hugh Bowman update
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 3:56pm

Stephen Brown Jr in serious condition after fall

Former apprentice Stephen Brown Jr remains in a serious condition following a fall in a Wangaratta jump-out.

Brown was flown to Royal Melbourne Hospital in an induced coma following the fall in north-east Victoria on Wednesday.

Victorian Jockeys’ Association chief executive Matthew Hyland said there were some positive signs late on Wednesday night.

“When I left last night the latest update was the doctors were a little more positive with the scans and the tests they ran,” Hyland told RSN927.

Hyland said the details he had around the fall were sketchy but he believed the horse Brown was riding broke down resulting in another falling over the top.

“He was placed in an induced coma by paramedics there on course and then choppered down to Royal Melbourne,” Hyland said.

“He’s got cracked ribs, a crack in his neck and a punctured lung as well, but the main concern is with his brain.”

Brown was indentured to his father Stephen and constantly faced weight battles throughout his career.

His last race ride was at The Valley last November before he retired, becoming a registered track rider.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:31am

Some good signs but brain trauma concern for Stephen Brown

September 19

Tests have revealed “a little bit more positive news” but concerns remain following Stephen Brown’s track fall at Wangaratta yesterday.

The former apprentice jockey was airlifted to Royal Melbourne hospital with cracked ribs, a crack in his neck, a punctured lung and concerns regarding potential brain trauma.

Victorian Jockeys Association chief executive Matt Hyland told Racing Pulse this morning that there had been some promising signs but “the main concern is his brain.”

“The latest update last night was that doctors were a little bit more positive with the scans and tests they ran. Fingers crossed there will be more positive news today,” Hyland said.

Hyland said a horse Brown had been riding in a jumpout had broken down and another horse “went over the top of him.”

“He was then placed in an induced coma by paramedics on course and choppered down to the Royal Melbourne.”

Hyland said the Brown family was coping as well as could be expected. “They are tough racing stock, the Browns,” he said.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 6:14pm

Jockeys to undergo surgery after falls

Two veteran Victorian jockeys will have surgery and have an extended stay on the sidelines following recent falls.

Kevin Forrester will have surgery to repair a fractured pelvis after falling during trackwork at Cranbourne on Wednesday.

Victorian Jockeys Association chief executive Matthew Hyland said Forrester was conscious and in a stable condition after also incurring internal bleeding.

He was to undergo surgery on Wednesday and will be out of the saddle indefinitely.

Craig Robertson needs surgery to repair ligament damage in a shoulder and faces up to six months on the sidelines following a tumble at the Bendigo jump-outs last week. He also broke a finger in the fall.

Former jockey Stephen Brown Jr remains in intensive care at Royal Melbourne Hospital following a fall at the Wangaratta jump-outs last week.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 6:33pm
Just reading this thread from the start is there an update on Nyssa Burrell ? I’m hoping no recent info on google does not mean bad news
Refer ALP Election Promises
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 7:07pm
She has 2 FB profiles, this snippet from her 1st:

Donna Gaskin Great to see you feeling better Nyssa and up and about 😚 nothing better than the horses to cheer you up ..... keep making progress and you will be back before you know it 😁
 · 1y
Nyssa Burrells Thanks Donna I'm going good now.

Last post on 2nd profile, 13wks ago:

Had an awesome night supporting the Png kumuls and segeyaro Play Samoa at Leichhardt oval

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 7:25pm
Herald Sun SportVerified account @heraldsunsport

Incredible footage of jockey Kevin Forrester being thrown from the Robbie Laing-trained Fabulanski at Cranbourne trackwork. Story to come soon on @superracing from @MichaelManley_1

https://twitter.com/heraldsunsport/status/1176730680656424960?s=20&fbclid=IwAR3kJXMP8KP29LXZCPNiqOez-FyBwOqSVf-S2pDBjSsHP_hj_PgnOGCDjrE

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 7:54pm
Thanks Gay
Refer ALP Election Promises
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 12:46pm

Payne visit inspires injured O’Meara

Kate Watts@katewatts_

26 September, 2019

The family of injured rider Shanae O’Meara says it’s indebted to Melbourne Cup-winning jockey Michelle Payne for visiting the 20 year-old in hospital this week.

O’Meara has been at the Epworth Hospital since her serious trackwork fall in Swan Hill last month and her mother Joy Williams said Payne’s visit provided a much-needed boost for the rider and her family.

“It was so kind of her to take time out of her busy schedule to come visit Shanae, she’s such a hero to her,” Williams said.

“Michelle is such a kind and caring person and was so helpful in giving advice after having suffered similar injuries during her career.”

The young rider is set to remain in hospital for the next three months, needing significant speech therapy work.

“Her recovery is still day by day, but all I think about is how lucky we are that she’s out of the woods now and we will get to take her home at some stage."

“Her dream is still to keep riding and be an apprentice, her whole life is horses and it’s such a comfort that she is on the mend and hopefully won’t have to give up on that.”

A GoFundMe page to support O'Meara and her family during her recovery has raised almost $23,700, with friends hopeful of even more donations.

Update for all the amazing people that have shown Shanae and our family so much love, support and generosity. Cannot Thank you all enough 💗 Click here to support Shanae O'Meara Recovery organized by Jade Hazlett https://t.co/p4f1rOtNh0

— Joy Williams (@JoyWill70916833) September 10, 2019
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12