Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Jamie Kah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Vain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jamie Kah
    Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 9:01pm
The article in the Adelaide press this week concerning a "mentally drained" Jamie Kah taking an indefinite break from racing as of next week should not be brushed aside by racing authorities.  Her rapid rise to the top at such a young age has taken its toll on her psychologically and she claims the expectations of owners and trainers have got to her. Here is a young woman with heaps of talent who clearly needs some good advice and help. I am sure she is not alone and would it not be appropriate for the Australian Racing Board to look into the issues of young jockey burnout as there should be no squabbling between states representatives on the board as it is potentially an equal problem throughout the country.
Keep them honest
MelbourneRacing View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelbourneRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 9:14pm
Well said Vain.

Jockeys do it tougher than pretty much any professional athlete and often without the security of a regular pay cheque.

I hope Jamie has a break and clears her head and returns to the riding ranks. She's a talented hoop who will be missed.
Air Seattle View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air Seattle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:27pm
I echo those sentiments.

It's a unique, interesting & uncompromising lifestyle.

Jamie won't be the first, nor the last but the systems need to be in place to give them the assistance they need when the need arises.
The Barb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Barb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 2:53am
I sincerely hope Jamie can sort out her issues. 

The jockey I often think about when it comes to this sort of thing is Brent Evans. A seriously talented rider IMO whose career has virtually been destroyed by addiction (not suggesting that Jamie Kah is in the same boat in that respect). 

I honestly thought this guy could have made it big time but instead he now rides very occasionally at Toowoomba. 

It seriously saddens me to think of the potential lifestyle and rewards that a jockey the calibre of Brent has been unable to realise. If anyone has an update on how he is going I would very much appreciate it. 
The Black Demon
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 7:28am
Originally posted by The Barb The Barb wrote:

I sincerely hope Jamie can sort out her issues. 

The jockey I often think about when it comes to this sort of thing is Brent Evans. A seriously talented rider IMO whose career has virtually been destroyed by addiction (not suggesting that Jamie Kah is in the same boat in that respect). 

I honestly thought this guy could have made it big time but instead he now rides very occasionally at Toowoomba. 

It seriously saddens me to think of the potential lifestyle and rewards that a jockey the calibre of Brent has been unable to realise. If anyone has an update on how he is going I would very much appreciate it. 

He has one ride at Goondiwindi today R7 and of late mostly rides on the country south west Queensland circuit, Roma Nanango, Toowoomba Goondiwindi Gatton 
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 7:31am

South Australian jockey Jamie Kah set to take an indefinite break from riding

• South Australian jockey Jamie Kah is taking an indefinite break from the saddle 
  • The 19-year-old has been feeling the pressure and will cease riding following Wednesday's Murray Bridge meeting
  • She claimed the 2012-13 SA Jockey Premiership as an apprentice rider
  • Jamie Kah
    LIKE US ON FACEBOOK 

therealkramer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therealkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 4:38pm
Look I don't want to make light of her issues but when she was riding winners and winning the premiership she didn't complain about the workload. As soon as it didn't come easy she wants a break? Meanwhile Claire Lindop runs away with the premiership. Funny, I didn't hear her whinging when she got beaten by the young upstart last season.
Fine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 5:10pm
I don't think she's complaining. She's being honest about how she feels and what she needs right now. Good luck to her. Hope she has a great time travelling and then returns to racing.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 5:12pm
There's far more to this than is being publicly aired, judging by a thread on FB last night, involving her Boss who gave an insight into what started the problems  i.e. some late night negative posts, I think by some acquaintances under the influence as well as by Jamie herself & several owners dissatisfied with rides &/or conduct. I think last nights' convo has 'gone' & probably just as well. Her boss is being very supportive, stressing she needs time away from racing to sort herself out Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Fine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 5:14pm
And this is why no-one should talk about Work on Facebook. It only leads to trouble.
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 8:11pm
Maybe the the 'list' of c###S in racing she and a friend compiled and became public might have something to do with it.
She wasn't burnt out when things where rolling her way.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 8:25pm
Agreed, far more likely Unhappy
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 8:31pm
Loose lips sink ships.
Fine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 3:00pm
What a very silly and immature thing to do.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Bi Carb Bi Carb wrote:

Maybe the the 'list' of c###S in racing she and a friend compiled and became public might have something to do with it.
She wasn't burnt out when things where rolling her way.

Would be a massive and exhausting list. I would need a break afterwards also.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 3:15pm
Darryl Sherer - 04 Jul 2017
With the end of season focus on jockeys' premierships in Melbourne and Sydney there is one battle that has gone relatively unnoticed.

Jamie Kah. Photo: Darryl Sherer
Jamie Kah rode a treble at Morphettville on Saturday to take her season tally to 120 wins and trailing Linda Meech by one for the national female riders honours.

Kah has ridden 119 winners in South Australia plus one in Victoria and leads the South Australian metropolitan jockeys' premiership with 47 ahead of Clare Lindop (43) and Emily Finnegan (32).

Kah rose to national prominence when she claimed the 2012-13 Adelaide jockeys' premiership as a 17 year-old apprentice in her first full season, the first to do so since Jason Holder in 1995/96.

"It all came so quickly I didn't really appreciate it fully at the time," Kah says. "In a way if I can win the premiership this season it will mean a bit more."

The price Kah paid for her rapid rise was a crushing workload, incurring a suspension for a medical certificate infraction and forcing the now 21-year-old to take an extended break from riding in 2015.

"I needed to, I ran myself down. It was great initially to have a full book (of rides) but doing it day in day out took its toll on me and it became a chore," Kah said.

"Taking a break was the best thing I could have done. I don't think I've been in a better spot than I am now,

"I'm really enjoying my work. I couldn't be happier and I'm really loving what I'm doing.

"Last year the goal was to ride 100 winners and I managed to do that which was very satisfying."

Kah was an accomplished equestrian rider before starting on racehorses. As a 15-year-old she represented Australia in the International Mounted Games at Pony Club level in England in 2014.

Becoming apprenticed to John MacMillan at Strathalbyn, Kah said she didn't really need to learn how to ride so much as how to ride races.

The horse lover still returns to her roots as an outlet from racing

"I ride my own horses on a Sunday, it's something I love and it makes a nice break from the world of racing," Kah said.

"I have my own horses to go showjumping and do a fair bit with horses off the track to rehabilitate them and find them new homes.

"It's time consuming but very satisfying to get a horse a new home and career after racing."

It is not all plain sailing however, as Kah does have a guilty secret.

"I have about 10 horses at the moment - I know, it's probably too many,"

Kah spent some time at Caulfield attached to the Mick Price stable in 2014 but is now firmly entrenched in the South Australian riding ranks.

"I guess you never say never - I loved my time in Melbourne but Adelaide is my home," Kah said.

"I think Adelaide is possibly the best place for riders, take this season, the top three on the premiership are girls and behind Clare (Lindop) and Emily (Finnegan) you also have Eran Boyd and Raquel Clark doing so well this season,

"We are not judged on our gender, it's how well you ride and we all appreciate that."

Kah has five rides at Murray Bridge on Wednesday but says overtaking Meech is not a priority.

"Linda is a great jockey and I respect her and anyone that rides seven days a week," Kah said.

"If I could win the Adelaide premiership that would be great but it's not the big picture,

"I'm not feeling any pressure. I'm enjoying what I'm doing now and have a life away from racing - life is good."
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 3:43pm
Sits well on a horse and has great hand,..a natural imo.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 3:44pm
Great hands that should read.
MorphettvilleMauler View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorphettvilleMauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 4:32pm
no longer riding for Wil Clarken now either, Todd Pannell has picked up those rides.  interesting.

she should take out the national womens title
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Sits well on a horse and has great hand,..a natural imo.

Agree, she looks picture perfect on a horse...almost identical in her riding seat/position to damian browne. straight backs, no need for a spirit level.
Bi Carb View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi Carb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by MorphettvilleMauler MorphettvilleMauler wrote:

no longer riding for Wil Clarken now either, Todd Pannell has picked up those rides.  interesting.

she should take out the national womens title

This is a good move for her.
The further away the better.
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:50am
A history-making South Australian jockey can’t wait to make her New Zealand riding debut.
Jamie Kah will join Melbourne’s Damian Lane and expatriate New Zealander Jason Collett, now based in Sydney, for the Jockeys’ World Cup Prelude at Ellerslie on December 13.
“I’ve been to New Zealand for a holiday before and now to ride there is pretty exciting,” the 21-year-old said. “I’m coming off a great carnival and to be recognised is really nice.”
Kah, who replaces the suspended Blake Shinn in the Ellerslie series, has enjoyed a whirlwind rise to the top of her profession and has created a slice of South Australian history by becoming the first jockey to win three John Letts Medals.
The prestigious award is presented in recognition of excellence in riding and all achievements at all South Australian meetings.

Last season, Kah set a new national mark for the most wins by a female jockey of 130 and was her state’s Jockey of the Year and took the awards for leading metropolitan, country and provincial rider.
Top of the South Australian Metropolitan Jockey’s Premiership with 23 winners at the time of writing and currently fifth on the Australian Jockey’s Premiership with 55, Kah has a career tally of 553 winners.
While she is now in demand inter-state, she has no short-term desire to leave Adelaide.
“I’ve had terrific support from trainers and people are asking me what I’m going to do, but I’m happy in Adelaide for the moment, it’s a great lifestyle,” Kah said.
The New Zealand men’s line-up for the series will comprise of Matt Cameron, Michael Coleman and Chris Johnson with the women’s team of Alysha Collett, Sam Collett and Danielle Johnson.
Shaun McKay and Sam Weatherley will be joined by Victorian Ben Allen, who as a late replacement for the injured Joao Moreira rode Thomas Hobson into sixth place in the Gr.1 Melbourne Cup (3200m), in the apprentice’s team.
The brainchild of former New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing chairman Guy Sargent, the competition will run over six races with jockeys combining with drawn mounts. – NZ Racing Desk.
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 11:14am
Must be up there with the best female jocks, ever. I notice her best odds range is 5/1 to 10/1, this tallies with the notion a good jockey is worth a small margin to their mount, it may average only 0.1 or 0.2 lengths, and that is more beneficial on runners not too short in the market, yet not much use on roughies.
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 11:49am
She is a gun. her balance and positioning on a horse is picture perfect. and very effective.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 12:13pm
Reminds me of a young Michelle Payne
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:28pm
Jamie Kah has revealed her plans to retire from race riding in as little as five years to chase Olympic glory in the show jumping arena.

With more than 600 career wins to her name, the accomplished jockey has dominated the South Australian riding ranks in recent seasons but said her underlying passion for equestrian had prompted thoughts about a code switch.

And the 22-year-old doesn't have far to look for inspiration with both of her parents having represented Australia in speed skating at the Winter Olympics in 1992.

They also play an integral role in Kah's December Hill Performance Horse operation, at which she breeds, trains and competes show jumpers from her base in the Adelaide Hills.

"I love racing and I'll do it for as long as I can but I don't think I'll be doing it any longer than five or so years because this (equestrian) is my real passion," Kah said.

"One day I'd love to go to the Olympics for show jumping, that's obviously the highlight for every equestrian girl when they are growing up.

"And it would be so much more rewarding if you had a horse that you'd trained from the beginning, especially if it was an ex-racehorse.

"But that's obviously a long way down the track."

Kah leads the Adelaide jockeys' premiership and last month registered 100 national winners for the third-consecutive season.

With 125 wins to her name since August, including a treble at Gawler on Wednesday, Kah is well on track to eclipse the record of 130 she set last season for most wins by a female jockey in a single season in Australia.

She also achieved her two best Group 1 results at this month's Adelaide Festival of Racing when steering Rezealient into second place in the SA Derby (2500m) and Super Cash into fourth in the Darley Goodwood (1200m).
"Go Hard or Go Home”
pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 2:10pm
Wow, didn't know that about Kah. A very accomplished Olympic family indeed, with uncle Danny being a very good speed skater and still holder of the 500m and 10000m Australian records.

One of my favourite events at the Winter Olympics. Her mum Karen did a bit of a "Bradbury" at the Winter Olympics in the heats. The link is the Lillehammer Olympics in '94

troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 3:08pm
Watched her ride a winner at Gawler yesterday for McEvoy... front running ride. Man she has great hands on a horse. Just very relaxed and patient. Horses run for her. She had a great run in Melbourne a couple years back.. she should get more chances with Tony Mc

Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 1:08am
What you posted was unacceptable imo
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 1:11am
This is a private forum owned and run by the Mayor. He can delete anything he likes, he pays for this place. If you don’t like it, start your own forum.
You’ll see just how hard it is and how much work goes on behind the scenes from people like the Mayor, Gay and Dizzy. The all have families and jobs and give up many hours a day for us to come and chat.   

Smile and be nice, it won’t cost you anything and you might even feel better.

Edited by Gay3 - 25 May 2018 at 2:38pm
"Go Hard or Go Home”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>