Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Hitotsu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:12pm
I disagree Djebel,

He is by Maurice who did well in his 1st season and now is topping the second crop sires.

His dam is by Redoutes Choice and his grand-dam gave rise to multiple winner Love Conquers All and 2yo winner She's Meaner who foaled Lean Mean Machine.

Afros,
 he is probably not worth as much overseas as his female line is C4-Colonial but you'd have to give him a chance here. Love Conquers All hasn't been a good stallion overall but will be interesting to see how Lean Mean Machine goes I think he has 1st runners this coming season).

He would win at a mile like he needed further and these are the type of racehorses who can go on and become sires of good staying types. He may end up being another Zabeel type. Someone smart from NZ should snap him up and stand him there but there is always the chance that the Japanese may buy him and introduce more Redoutes/Danehill and Colonial blood into their lines.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 2:31pm

Maher spoke to News Corp at Eagle Farm on Tuesday morning and insisted Hitotsu’s prognosis was good and his racing future not in doubt despite sustaining a suspensory ligament injury which has ruled him out of the spring.

Asked about the circumstances of the injury to the star three-year-old colt, Maher said:

“He was just in light training, it is very rare for a horse to do something like that in light training so maybe he has done it in the paddock or annoyed it.

“It’s obviously not ideal, but I’m sure he will make a full recovery.

“His prognosis is really good, he will just miss the spring and he will be back for the (2023) autumn.”

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 3:22pm
Unlike Incentivise , they have a real balancing act to overcome here , that being he is a bull ( and a sizeable one ) and will fill out along with maturing temperment over rehab , I think they'll pull the pin at the slightest sign of a flare up .
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 3:37pm
Oh dear I really liked this horse.  
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 7:32pm
Terrible news. 

Really don't know what to make of the form around this horse, fantastic training performance to go Derby/Guineas/Derby  in consecutive runs but just not sure what he's beaten. Lightsaber, Bons a Pearla, Allegron, Benaud etc. Would have loved to see Hitotsu v Anamoe over 2000 in the Guineas.

Hoping he races on so we can see his potential fulfilled.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 8:00pm

Connections resisted the temptation to bring back Hitotsu earlier, with the three-time Group 1 winner having subsequently returned to Ciaron Maher and David Eustace's Ballarat stable more than a week ago.

The Australian Guineas and ATC Derby winner in his previous preparation is currently undergoing a seven-week pre-training program after suffering a suspensory injury in May.

"He wasn't that far off, we could have bought him back four or six weeks ago, but we decided to just go a bit slower with him and there is no rush now we missed the spring," Kheir explained.

"He has reacted really well to the treatment and everyone is very happy and optimistic with him coming back for the autumn.

"He would probably be on an All-Star Mile or Australian Cup campaign and work from there towards Sydney."

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 11:57am
Apparently retired.
reductio ad absurdum
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 12:02pm
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Unlike Incentivise , they have a real balancing act to overcome here , that being he is a bull ( and a sizeable one ) and will fill out along with maturing temperment over rehab , I think they'll pull the pin at the slightest sign of a flare up .
As a gelding they may have persevered , but a dual Derby winner and a lightly raced entire they may salvage something , but with this injury I'm not surprised they've pulled the pin. G. L. Star
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 3:28pm

Infection ends career of multiple Group 1 winner

Freakish Group 1 superstar Hitotsu has run his last race and will be retired to stud after sustaining a nasty infection.

The Ciaron Maher and David Eustace-trained galloper won the Victoria Derby in the 2021 spring before claiming the Australian Derby in Sydney in the 2022 autumn as well as a memorable Australian Guineas triumph.

A suspensory ligament injury ruled him out of the last spring carnival and now a series of setbacks, most recently a serious leg infection, will cause his shock retirement.

"Hitotsu got a cut to his leg and then it got infected," part-owner Ozzie Kheir said.

"They have flushed it (the infection) out about a week ago and he is stable.

"We resisted the temptation of retiring him after his remarkable three-year-old season to stud as Ciaron and Dave were adamant that he had so much more upside and we hadn't seen the best of him.

"Unfortunately plans in racing don't often go to script.

"Hitotsu has taken us on an amazing journey in such a short period of time and showed that special horses can be trained in a very unconventional way and that's all credit to the stable that weren't afraid to try something different.

"We will now start the process of finding him the best place to continue his next chapter and follow his progeny for many years to come."

Co-trainer Maher said he had a heavy heart when speaking about the retirement news.

"While it's incredibly disappointing, he provided us with some of the most memorable moments we've enjoyed on a racetrack in his short career," Maher said.

"He is one of the most talented horses I've ever trained and I hope one day I can train his progeny."

Hitotsu has been retired ????

We certainly won't forget his 2022 autumn campaign. ????

Australian Guineas (1600m) ✅
Australian Derby (2400m) ✅@cmaherracingpic.twitter.com/gfUuoL6DoH

— 7HorseRacing ???? (@7horseracing) January 31, 2023

Meanwhile, another Kheir-owned and Maher and Eustace-trained rising star has sustained a tendon injury and is out of the autumn carnival.

The future of Yonce, who has won six of her seven starts, will be determined after talks between the trainers and connections. It is possible she could be retired to be a broodmare.

"Yonce will not take part in the autumn as she sustained a tendon injury late last week," Kheir said.

"It is extremely disappointing for all involved as she was reportedly going better than her last preparation. After her seven-start first preparation, she hasn't had things go her way.

"In the spring she had a freak accident in the float and now this.

"We are yet to decide if we retire her as a broodmare or continue racing at this stage.

"The injury is only minor but like all tendons its difficult to return back to your best after 1.5 years off racing."

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 4:30pm
There was nothing unconventional about the way he was campaigned. 

reductio ad absurdum
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 4:48pm
Let's forget Wendy Kelly and just refer to the two campaigns for the Maher team.

Bred to go 2400m but debuted and won at his first start over 1350m.  That's just a trifle unconventional.
After winning that extremely lowly event went straight into a Group 1 at its next start.  That's just a trifle unconventional.
Jumped up from 1600 to 2500m in the Victoria Derby.  That's just a trifle unconventional.
Went from 1350 into the 2500 Derby just 7 weeks after first resuming for Maher.  That's a just trifle unconventional.
Resumed in Autumn over 1600 and jumped up to 2400 at his next and final start.  That's just a trifle unconventional.

But other than that his preparation was entirely conventional.  Wink
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 4:57pm
It's the Australian way that is unconventional. 
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 5:35pm
Unconventional or not, he's still retired with a record 99.9% of owners can only dream of Clap
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

None of that stuff is conventional in your beloved UK.  Ermm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

None Little of that stuff is conventional in your beloved UK.  

Or more to the point, your idea of a typical Australian staying campaign is 1400, 1600, 2000, 2400 with two weeks between each run.  Hitotsu's campaign was entirely different.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 6:02pm
According to a racing scribe , Hitotsu is the first horse since Monte Carlo's unplaced run in the 1956 Caulfield Guineas to have won the VRC Derby at his following start , history shows it's a hard ask , even more so now at 1600 to 2500 , like Cairon , Frank Dalton was a master trainer of stayers ( Monte Carlo )  65 years , a long time .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 6:15pm
Carioca, it's entirely fortunate that TBV has so many insightful (read old) buggers to provide knowledge gained over so many years.  Thumbs Up

Even if I'm old but maybe not so insightful.  Embarrassed

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 6:24pm
There has been a number of times when I've been only too happy to add a " little " extra , I like the place and it's inhabitants ! StarStarStar of course I've made the usual blunder . 😂
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 9:42pm
I am with Carioca,s insightfull information.  What he dont know aint worth knowing.LOL
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 1:08pm
LOL 👍
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 12:38pm
Once again I was one year too early selecting the Mare line for the yearling comp , the early sibling was a flop 
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 1:57pm
It's a shame we didn't get to see him in his 4yo season, it sounded like they were willing to think outside the square with him so something like Cox Plate first up could have happened, perhaps an autumn prep of All Star Mile first up followed by the Tancred or QE2.

Anyway thats how the cookie crumbles I suppose.
Plastic letters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plastic letters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 2:52pm
A shame he can make so much at stud.  It doesn’t sound like it’s serious injury, just timing. Money rules I get it
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 3:06pm
Given his owners, to have been unable to race for a year & 2 major carnivals, the injury would certainly have been serious.
Had he raced poorly & broken down again this year, I imagine the same outcry would've been aired i.e. 'money hungry Censoreds' Owners can't win!!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 7:23pm

Hitotsu going home to start stud career

Former star three-year-old Hitotsu will return to his birthplace to stand his first season at stud.

Hitotsu won the Victoria Derby in 2021 before returning to win the Australian Guineas and Australian Derby in the autumn, emulating the deeds of 1990s star Mahogany.

Unfortunately, injury ended Hitotsu's brilliant career after only eight starts, which produced three Group 1 wins and more than $3m in prizemoney for the son of Japanese star Maurice.

Arrowfield Stud boss John Messara announced the former Ciaron Maher and David Eustace-trained stallion would stand at the Hunter Valley property this spring.

"Each of Hitotsu's three Group 1 victories is an exceptional performance, but together they put him in the very sparsely populated category of history-making champion," Messara said.

"We're proud to stand him as an Arrowfield-bred star returning home."

Hitotsu will join his sire Maurice, champion sire Snitzel, Dundeel and The Autumn Sun on the Arrowfield roster.

Arrowfield has set Hitotsu's first season service fee at $22,000.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 8:05pm
Arrowfield are outstanding. They have roster of types every stallion station should have. 
reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 8:38pm
That is a very reasonable stud fee!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 9:31pm
If not for the injury, there would probably be a 2-3 more G1 wins and triple that fee on him, so I agree with VOYAGER there!
Seeing Manchester United relegated would mean more than words can describe to me.
QuizAbout View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuizAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 6:35pm
For a couple of seasons, then they sell them off to elsewhere if they don't get numbers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>