Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

High Court Decision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 3:08pm
Not going to second guess the High Court finding one way or another.

However isn't that "Constitution" thing such a total bugger for those of every persuasion who see inequity in decisions based on Judges' reading of this seminal document.  

ps for those who came in late The Constitution of Australia or Australian Constitution is the supreme law under which the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia operates, including its relationship to the States of Australia.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Correct.  And.....?

No preference to permanent residency in Australia should be given to any criminal born outside of Australia
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Not going to second guess the High Court finding one way or another.

However isn't that "Constitution" thing such a total bugger for those of every persuasion who see inequity in decisions based on Judges' reading of this seminal document.  

ps for those who came in late The Constitution of Australia or Australian Constitution is the supreme law under which the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia operates, including its relationship to the States of Australia.

Yes good point. In US they take it very seriously.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 4:41pm
Thanks Stayer, though thankfully the right for you and I to bear arms isn't also embodied in our Constitution.

But back to Bob: That's the whole point of the High Court decision for effing sake.  Like it or not the High Court found for indigenous Australians because their position is (for better or worse) ENSHRINED IN THE AUSTRALIAN CONSTITUTION.  Unlike other criminals born outside Australia where it clearly isn't.

To be frank I don't really give a toss, as there'll be relatively very few attempts to use this decision to their advantage in the overall scheme of things. 

What I've simply attempted to do is explain how the High Court operates as one of the three entities in the doctrine of Separation of Powers, ie

The doctrine of the separation of powers in Australia divides the institutions of government into three branches: legislative, executive and judicial. The legislature makes the laws; the executive put the laws into operation; and the judiciary interprets the laws under the separate powers Constitution.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 4:50pm
SC posted "To be frank I don't really give a toss, as there'll be relatively very few attempts to use this decision to their advantage in the overall scheme of things. "

Let's hope so, and no more "Shane Martin's" attempt to take advantage of the HC decision.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 4:51pm
A 4/3 verdict is too close for comfort.   TIME we all accepted , we are all equal.   ONE people ONE Flag ONE Law etc.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

A few of my criminal relatives will like this one. Apparently my grandma's great grandma was an aboriginal, though gran always denied it.

Think there are quite a few families like that, Stayer, but no one ever owns up, until such times as they realise what they can get for free by claiming a drop of Koori blood. 
Apparently skin colour can jump gererations ?   I know of a seemingly white couple who,s baby came out almost black, and after the wife had been accused of infidelity , and blood and DNA done, seems hubby has a great great with quite a bit of Koori blood that the family kept hidden.
animals before people.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

A few of my criminal relatives will like this one. Apparently my grandma's great grandma was an aboriginal, though gran always denied it.

Think there are quite a few families like that, Stayer, but no one ever owns up, until such times as they realise what they can get for free by claiming a drop of Koori blood. 
Apparently skin colour can jump gererations ?   I know of a seemingly white couple who,s baby came out almost black, and after the wife had been accused of infidelity , and blood and DNA done, seems hubby has a great great with quite a bit of Koori blood that the family kept hidden.

It's just BS. To care about it you'd have to be racist.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:45pm
No one hides their convict ancestors so why would you hide your Koori ancestors ?   I admire the many that stand up , looking white as snow, and say, Yes I have Koori blood. 
I dont admire those that use it as a ticket to free load tho.  
animals before people.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 7:11pm

No one hides their convict ancestors so why would you hide your Koori ancestors ?   I admire the many that stand up , looking white as snow, and say, Yes I have Koori blood. 

you really can't think of any reasons, okay Confused
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

you really can't think of any reasons, okay Confused

I hate to ask, but what reasons, whale?:
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 7:26pm
No too easy to present the answer. I feel responsible for your further development stayer and as such I encourage you to think about things and work out the answer for yourself. This one is not too hard Wink
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:14pm
You're a bit odd, whale.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:12am
Lost me too. Confused
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12